A Man Called Ove

Suicide Squad

Best Live Action Short Film

Timecode

Silent Nights

La Femme et le TGV

Ennemis Interieurs

Sing

I still have a lot of catching up to do, but Denzel, Viola Davis, Natalie Portman, and Jeff Bridges deserved their nominations. I don't expect him to win, but I was kind of surprised to see Andrew Garfield nominated for Hacksaw Ridge. I've always thought of Garfield as someone with limited range, but the man Garfield portrayed in Hacksaw Ridge was a perfect fit for him, playing someone, who was shy, emotional, soft-spoken, and vulnerable.

Natalie Portman and Denzel are the only two I'm pulling for right now, and I'm just going by all the hype and praise surrounding it, but La La Land is probably the front-funner to win Best Picture. Meryl Streep receiving a nomination is no real surprise, and it's one of the norms for this time of year. It's her 20th nomination, and if she stars in or has a part in a film that's released during awards season, you can be sure she'll find her way on to the list of nominations.

I haven't seen a lot because a good portion of these come out in February in the UK. From the looks of it they're very self conscious about not appearing racist this year. In the process a bigger piece of bigotry has come into play. Where is Amy Adams on the best actress list? What they got against gingers?

The Academy Awards ceremony may well be the dullest 4 hours on television. For a show packed with people who're well known for liberal views, it almost always comes off as this stiff, conservative stick in the mud of a show and I genuinely don't know why it always draws such a big audience.

It's also usually hard for me to invest in them because so many movies up for awards are ones that I've never even heard of, knew even existed and/or couldn't see even if I had known about them because they're only shown in a small handful of markets. I'd never even heard of Moonlight or Captain Fantastic before today; they're some of those really small movies that hardly anyone outside of Hollywood knows about and those movies are frequently showered with adoration by the Hollywood community.

Also, is it in the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences bylaws that Meryl Streep gets a nomination for every movie she appears in? It just seems that whenever Meryl Streep is in something, the Hollywood establishment sprays its collective shorts and falls all over itself to nominate her. I've liked her in a lot of stuff, but I've also seen some of her movies that won all sorts of awards and was left thinking "this is what they went so nuts about?"

Silence got hosed, but I expected it.

La La Land is a butt movie, Moonlight wasn't really a movie (more of an acting showcase) same goes for Fences.

This is primed to be one of the worst ceremonies of all time.

Best Picture

WINNER: Moonlight

Arrival

Fences

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

Hidden Figures

La La Land

Lion

Manchester by the Sea

Best Actor

WINNER: Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

Denzel Washington, Fences

Ryan Gosling, La La Land

Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge

Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic

Best Actress

WINNER: Emma Stone, La La Land

Natalie Portman, Jackie

Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Isabelle Huppert, Elle

Ruth Negga, Loving

Best Director

WINNER: Damien Chazelle, La La Land

Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Denis Villeneuve, Arrival

Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge

Best Supporting Actress

WINNER: Viola Davis, Fences

Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

Naomie Harris, Moonlight

Nicole Kidman, Lion

Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures

Best Supporting Actor

WINNER: Mahershala Ali, Moonlight

Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water

Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea

Dev Patel, Lion

Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

Best Original Song

WINNER: “City of Stars,” La La Land

“Audition (The Fools Who Dream),” La La Land

“How Far I’ll Go,” Moana

“Can’t Stop the Feeling,” Trolls

“The Empty Chair,” The James Foley Story

Best Documentary Feature

WINNER: O.J.: Made in America

13th

Fire at Sea

I Am Not Your Negro

Life, Animated

Best Animated Feature Film

WINNER: Zootopia

Kubo and the Two Strings

The Red Turtle

My Life as a Zucchini

Moana

Best Animated Short

WINNER: Piper

Pearl

Borrowed Time

Blind Vaysha

Pear Cider and Cigarettes

Best Adapted Screenplay

WINNER: Moonlight

Arrival

Fences

Lion

Hidden Figures

Best Original Screenplay

WINNER: Manchester by the Sea

La La Land

Hell or High Water

The Lobster

20th Century Women

Best Original Score

WINNER: La La Land

Lion

Jackie

Moonlight

Passengers

Best Foreign Language Film

THE WINNER: The Salesman

Toni Erdmann

Land of Mine

Tanna

A Man Called Ove

Achievement in Film Editing

WINNER: Hacksaw Ridge

La La Land

Moonlight

Arrival

Hell or High Water

Achievement in Production Design

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Hail, Caesar!

Arrival

Passengers

Achievement in Visual Effects

WINNER: The Jungle Book

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Kubo and the Two Strings

Doctor Strange

Deepwater Horizon

Achievement in Cinematography

Moonlight

Arrival

Silence

Lion

Best Documentary Short

WINNER: The White Helmets

Joe’s Violin

Extremis

Watani: My Homeland

4.1 Miles

Costume Design

WINNER: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Florence Foster Jenkins

La La Land

Allied

Jackie

Achievement in Sound Editing

WINNER: Arrival

Hacksaw Ridge

Deepwater Horizon

La La Land

Sully

Achievement in Sound Mixing

WINNER: Hacksaw Ridge

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

La La Land

Arrival

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Achievement in Makeup and Hair Styling

WINNER: Suicide Squad

Star Trek Beyond

A Man Called Ove

Best Live Action Short Film

WINNER: Sing

Timecode

Silent Nights

La Femme et le TGV

Ennemis Intérieurs

The snafu with Warren Beatty announcing La La Land as the winner for Best Picture is the big story after the show last night, but overall, The Oscars really didn't have any big surprises, or shocking upsets. As expected, La La Land and Moonlight won most of the big awards, and Zootopia won Best Animated Feature Film.

Overall, I thought it was an okay show, but I didn't see everything, because I was flipping back and forth between The Oscars and South Park reruns. Jimmy Kimmel was an okay host, but I laughed at the stuff Matt Damon a couple of times.

Usually, I make an effort to go out and see all the Oscar nominated films or the potential Oscar nominees, but Jackie, Fences, and Hell Or High Water were the only films I really wanted to see. I'm more tempted to check out Moonlight now, but I'm not in a rush to see La La Land. I hate musicals (excluding South Park: BL&U and Sweeney Todd), and I know I haven't seen it yet, but I just get the impression La La Land is the annual overhyped awards season film that we'll all forget about a year from now.

Aside from the Best Picture screw up, the story making the rounds is Brie Larson not applauding or hugging Casey Affleck after announcing him as the winner of the Best Actor Oscar. Apparently, or rather what's being reported, the reason for this is because Larson considers the guy a douche bag as he had charges of sexual harassment filed against him while working on a movie in 2010 by one of the film's producers and the cinematographer. The two lawsuits were settled out of court which, to me, automatically lends some sort of credence to the charges; I'm always suspicious whenever a defendant in sexual harassment suits settle as I'd think that if they were genuinely innocent that they'd scream their innocence from the rooftops to their dying day. It's speculated that one reason in particular why Larson gave him the cold shoulder at both the Oscars and the Golden Globes, where she also presented Affleck with an award, is due how she developed even stronger feelings for victims of sexual harassment or abuse after starring in the film Room back in 2015. In the film, which Larson won the Oscar, Golden Globe and BAFTA awards for best lead actress, she plays a woman who has been held captive as a sex slave by a man called "Old Nick" who also happens to be the father of her biological son, who's also been held captive his entire life.

I'm glad that Viola Davis won for Best Supporting Actress, she's been a favorite of mine for quite a few years. There also can't be any claims of the Academy being racist this time around considering that Davis won for Best Supporting Actress, Mahershala Ali won for Best Actor for Moonlight, the two men who won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay were both black and Asghar Farhadi, who is Iranian, won for Best Foreign Language Film.

I'm not s urprised that La La Land won so many, I'm just not really a fan of musicals for the most part. Generally speaking, the only traditional musical I enjoyed is Fiddler on the Roof and I've no interest in La La Land, though I'm glad to see Emma Stone win for Best Actress.

I actually didn't know about the sexual harassment allegations until a co-worker told me the story the other day. There's a close up screenshot of Brie Larson, when she opens the envelope floating around, and you can see there's a look of disappointment on her face. I also believe a good amount of people pulling for Deznel to win for Fences played into the reaction for Affleck's win.

One thing that bothered me about Oscars So White last year is, a lot of films that were believed to be snubs were overhyped and excessively praised. I didn't see Beasts Of No Nation, but Concussion was a turd, featuring one of Will Smith's weaker performances. Creed was awesome, but I never understood the fuss or the anger over Michael B. Jordan not receiving a nod for Best Actor. I'm not saying he didn't deserve a nomination, but was his performance in Creed really any different from what we've seen from him in the past in other films, where's he's playing this misunderstood and angry hothead, with a chip on his shoulder?

If we're talking about the critical reception and box office profits to justify a snub, Straight Outta Compton is the only film I can see some real arguments for, but Jason Mitchell for Best Supporting Actor is a stretch.

Agreed on Emma Stone. She's always been one of my favorite actresses, and I thought she had a shot at winning for Birdman a few years ago. Although, I've always felt she's far more entertaining in full blown comedies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back