• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WM26 - HBK vs Sting?

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
No, this isn't a rumor I've heard. It's a rumor I am starting.

I heard from a source (my cat after I'd eaten some suspect leftovers) that Sting was willing to work ONE year for Vince McMahon, as long as it culminates with a Wrestlemania match vs Shawn Michaels.

Now seriously, imagine this. It's a wrestling fans' wet dream. These two men were the respective franchises of WWE and WCW throughout the 90's and early 00's - I believe only The Undertaker is as big a measurable star never to switch companies at a major point - often times representing their company as a champion and doing much of the outreach for young fans.

With both men well into their 40's and both of their careers coming to a close, I ask these two questions...

1. Would a Michaels / Sting match be the most anticipated since Hogan / Warrior?

2. Would the opening moments of an HBK / Sting match at Wrestlemania rival that of Rock / Hogan from Wrestlemania 17?

It seems quite obvious to me that the answer is yes on both accounts. Sting is the one man Vince has never had, and Michaels has largely been regarded as WWE's Golden Child. Fans would absolutely recognize the magnitude of the moment, and the ovation would go on for 15 minutes.

Furthermore, these two men work crowds flawlessly. And let's be honest - Shawn and Undertaker set the bar so high at Wrestlemania this year that it would take a moment like Michaels vs Sting to break it.

Your thoughts, please...

You're really into making threads about Sting lately, huh? Probably the most roundly loved man on this forum. Even the Fox digs him. Me, I was never big on him.

As a man that's pretty down on Sting and doesn't think that Michaels/Undertaker is the greatest match ever - it's not - I think I'm the perfect guy to contribute to this topic. Prepare for extreme cynicism.

Would the match be as anticipated as Hogan/Warrior? Now, I'm not entirely sure how anticipated how much that match was. From what I hear, it was a fucking lot. I'm going to say no. In fact, I don't think it would even be as anticipated as Taker/Michaels.

That's in part because Sting and Michaels have absolutely no history together. Well, as far as I know. I suppose Sting does a sharpshooter and... you see where I'm going with this. It's also due to you saying that Sting would come back before this match. That would let your average WWE fan see just how bad Sting has grown over the years. Personally, I think it was questionable that he was that good to begin with.

Then again, they didn't seem to care about how much Saggy Tits Flair had deteriorated - and he certainly proved it before his match with Michaels. Then again, that wasn't as anticipated as Hogan/Warrior, was it?

I was going to address the other point separately, but I think I'd probably just be repeating myself. Would there be a ton of heat? Probably/ Would it rival Rock/Hogan? Not if this year's WrestleMania is anything to go by.

Oh, and Sting can't even work a TNA crowd properly. Yeah, good luck with that.

1st of all, Sting (though a legend of the business and one of the biggest stars in WCW history and frankly the history of the industry) cannot work nearly as well as he used to in the late 80s and early 90s.

Secondly, this match would not be as anticipated as the likes of Hogan/Warrior or Hogan/Rock. Sting's last HUGE match that truly made waves in the wrestling world was vs. Hogan at Starrcade.

3rd of all, check out this link in which Sting tells you, the lucky viewer directly why he won't work for Vince.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktxW0vidElE

p.s. HBK/Taker though outstanding and the best match at Mania in a few years was not quite as good as HBK/Angle at WM 21

I don't know why you would put Shawn Michaels as the opponent of all people. Golden Boy or not, I would think Undertaker vs Sting would have more appeal. Also, even "Golden Boy" I'm skeptical of. I would give that title to HHH or Cena before Shawn. But if Sting ever has one match in WWE, I think the biggest match up would be against Taker, not Michaels.

I don't know why you would put Shawn Michaels as the opponent of all people. Golden Boy or not, I would think Undertaker vs Sting would have more appeal. Also, even "Golden Boy" I'm skeptical of. I would give that title to HHH or Cena before Shawn. But if Sting ever has one match in WWE, I think the biggest match up would be against Taker, not Michaels.

I have to agree with this Taker vs Stings Crow character would go great; now I think Beacher Sting vs HBK would be excellent; I personally don't want Sting to ever wrestle in the WWF so he could be Triple H's bitch sorta like everyone who came over from :wcw: thats just me though.

This match would never happen for a couple of reasons. Vince is not going to build up another WM match where one or both participants will be gone permanently after. Then Vince won't put Sting over on HBK at WM.

I would have much more respect for Sting if he stayed in TNA, or just retired after he got tired of it. He is the one "big" name that McMahon couldn't seem to "lure" over, which makes me respect Sting all that much more. Who knows what kind of program he would have with Michaels considering WWE's writing hasn't been all that great. And after WM26, what happens? Leaves to go back to TNA being another year older? Stays in the WWE and turns into a caricature of his former self? No thanks.

I been watching Wrestling since I was 5 years old. I am now 17. I used to watch WCW back when it was still in business starting in 1996. I also watched WWE and still do to this day. Sting always was a huge star in WCW ever since he started Wrestling there back in the late 1980's. I really enjoyed his Matches with Ric Flair. Those were always 5 Star Classics. Shawn Michaels is another great athlete and a great performer. Sting and Shawn Michaels have a very similar Wrestling Style so in that case it would be a great Match to see at Wrestlemania XXVI but I don't think Sting will ever come to WWE seeing as hes a stop star and World Champion in TNA but at the same time crazy things happen in the world of Professional Wrestling. So I could happen and I would love to see it.

The problem with Sting vs HBK is that it would not be that good of a match. Hate to say it, but since the demise of WCW, Sting's abilities have gone down. Sting was never great with ring psychology. That's why HBK vs Flair and HBK vs Taker worked so well, because both wrestlers in those matches knew ring psychology.

1. Would a Michaels / Sting match be the most anticipated since Hogan / Warrior?

No. People prefer The Undertaker over anybody, so if it was against him then maybe.

2. Would the opening moments of an HBK / Sting match at Wrestlemania rival that of Rock / Hogan from Wrestlemania 17?

No. Hulk Hogan was bigger than Sting, The Rock was bigger than HBK.

Anyway, I don't think The Police are popular enough for this match to be taken seriously as a WrestleMania match. He'd be better of just singing.

From what I've seen in TNA the past year, and these past few months with Sting as the World Champion, is one thing is for sure, he can still put on an awesome match, and most of his matches are as good if not better then most every thing WWE does.

Sting vs HBK is a dream match

Sting and HBK are 2 of the greatest if not the 2 best over time, time has been good on both

And Sting and HBK would sell unlike any other match in WWE since Rock vs Hogan when it went down for the 1st time ever. You would get 75,000+ packed into the Arizona Cardinals stadium all wanting to see one match, just like WM6, just like WM18.

And the match could, and would steal the show.

Besides that, Sting joining WWE could lead to many PPV matches, that would sell great
- vs Undertaker
- vs Triple H
- vs Orton
- vs Cena
- vs Batista
- vs Y2J

I'm sure I could list more.

Well I'm going to guess the majority of people discussing this topic weren't around during Shawn Michaels' or Sting's respective peaks in the industry. Personally, Shawn Michaels vs. Sting is a dream match for me. However, Sting can still put on a watchable match but he's obviously not what he was. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, but it would have been better at Wrestlemania 13, not 26. As far as would it be as anticipated as Hogan vs Warrior or Hogan vs Rock, I'd say no. I was around for the hype to both and i doubt Mr. McMahon would build a huge matchup with a lot of hype for a WCW guy.

I would love this as would Sting/HBK as they are both good friends, and of course born again Christians. Unfortunatley this will never happen, for a few reasons. First Sting would never be brought in for just one match. Vince would never allow a TNA/WCW guy to come into his house and put him over against his current, most high regarded Superstar. He'd be retiring him even. Vince would die before allowing this.

If the Stinger got signed as of tomorrow I could see this happening. He'd have the chance to make Vince some money and pay dues (triple H, Cena, Taker, Y2J, Hardy). This string of opponents, on what would surely be Sting's farewell tour, could culminate w/ a WM Match with HBK. In fact it would be awesome if it was billed as "Loser leaves town." With retirement on the minds of both men, the WWE might succeed in swerving us as to who is going to go over. I'd look forward to being surprised again.

Also their would be no reason for Sting to come in for one match and get retired by HBK. I love HBK, but Sting deserves better than just one match in the big time. It would be unfair.

As far as Sting goes with the WWE, here's hoping that Vince's ego is put aside long enough for Sting to end up in the Hall of Fame. I don't care if the man never worked under a WWE banner. He contributed 20 years to the business as a top guy, cared about the business and was a company guy. It just sux that it was for the wrong company.

This would be another one of those dream matches that I don't think would ever happen...but it's still a pretty good concept! WWE's guy vs WCW's guy, I like it!

Since WCW's demise in 2001 none of the former wcw guys got a good run with WWE...Steiner, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Goldberg..sure most of them got the big gold but they were made to look imperior to people like Triple H, HBK, The Rock, etc. Sting going to WWE would be no different, Vince McMahon nor anyone else in the company would use Sting like he should be used. Not saying I wouldn't love to see HBK vs. Sting at WM but I highly doubt it will ever happen.

Sting will eventually go into the hall of fame and more than likely have a run in WWE also although I find the latter more probable.

I think Sting VS Undertaker would work better based on their similarities of character but the better match would be had with HBK.

He would attract the attention of some of the long lost WCW fans and hopefully jumstart the pimping of the WCW DVD collection. Vince used ECW's history to make money and will eventually do the same with WCW. Heck, he has already started with the "Best of Starcade".

Time heals all wounds, and he still needs to re-coup his loses from the "McMahon Million Giveaway"! I imagine its tough not being a billionare anymore.

I digress. It wouldnt be as big a match as the Hogan ones as Sting and HBK aren't on that mainstream level and neither is wrestling right now. Although, guys that post would and should see it for the huge match that it would be.

Maybe hes not as good as he used to be, but lets see how you feel when your nearing 50!

I say bring in Sting, have some dream mathces (I'll be watching him and Foley, will U?), put the strap on him, dont job him out, then have him pass the torch.

"Its show time!!!"

would it be a great match yea of coarse it would......but so would Taker vs. Sting which i would rather see.....now as hype....nothing and i mean nothing will beat Hogan vs. The Rock.....i mean the two most popular stars and two best in there time....only three matchs i see come close to that.....Hogan vs. Austin......Hogan vs. Cena.......Rock vs. Cena....because Hogan, Austin, Rock and even though i hate to say so Cena....are arguable the biggest stars of there generations and business....but i do say sting vs. hbk would be a great match though

If I could make only one match between only two wrestlers... it would be Sting vs HBK.... They are in my opinion the greatest "wrestlers" of my lifetime. I here people say all the time that Sting can't work that good. Well... he is 50 years old, so I would say he moves quite well for his age. A few weeks ago he was bouncing off the ropes and flying across the room pretty good against team 3d. I see him as every bit as quick as Taker. HBK is such a great worker, he can make anyone look good. Personally, bc they don't have any kind of history except maybe (A tie to Flair being a mentor, flagships of the later 90's of each respective brand, and both being Christians)....

I think this match should be a one time match for sting... no build up matches or anything. Kind of like the Ric Flair vs Hogan match at Bash at the Beach 94 when he debuted in the WCW. Sting's biggest beef with Vince was partially the Rock comment about "Who are you?" and the content of the show.... Its quite different now... WWE is PG and not as peverse as TNA... it might be a better fit for him and... Sting has to admire how WWE treated Flair with his send-off.... It just seems like it would be awesome.

HBK dont have bad matches... And I think Sting's matches now are better than Starcade 97 for sure. It would be great.....! They could induct him in the hall of fame the night before... that way if it's an ego deal... he can say, he was inducted without ever wrestling for the company.

I hate pointing stuff like this out but it was Wrestlemania 18, not 17. Wrestlemania 17 was when Austin turned heel and beat The Rock in Houston.

I have been a fan of wrestling for over 30 years, seen lots of things happen I never thought would happen.
But Sting -vs- Shawn, you would have a better match with Sting -vs- HHH
or -vs- John Cena, hell even against Jericho but I still think they will never happen, Sting will never work for Vince.
I would like to see TNA spend the money for a one time only match with
Sting -vs- Warrior, Blade runners finally confronting each other in the ring.
NOW THAT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE!!!!!

I'd love it.

I'm a massive Sting mark, even though I don't like the TNA product as a whole, and his in-ring abilities have really become a little... well not sloppy... but they've declined quite a bit, unlike looking at wrestlers like HBK and Undertaker, they've seemed to continually get better and better with age, especially in 'Takers case.

The only way I can see the angle working though, as lets face it, Vince would NEVER let Sting go over Shawn at Wrestlemania, and if HBK won, smarks would call it too predictable, is after a great match, it ends in a draw. Ideally I'd be thinking a Last Man Standing match with a mixture of technical ability and other spots on show... Somewhere in the vein of Shawn vs Triple H at the Royal Rumble a few years ago.

Sting's problem with the WWE was it's perception and attitude that it showed the world. Essentially, the attitude Era killed any chance of Sting signing with the WWE. However, the WWE is hell bent on going to the PG format, and if that was Sting's main problem, then I wouldn't understand why he wouldn't want to make a mini-run with the company.

Sting is getting the golden treatment, at least on DVD's by the WWE. The guy is more beloved by the WWE then guys like Savage or Warrior. Simply put, Flair loves him, Triple H loves Flair, Triple H is in the bosses ear, Sting will get the benefit of the doubt.

I for one would love to see this match happen, but I'm just not sure it would. As irish said, the bar was raised very damn high by Michaels and the Undertaker this year. I like Sting, but i don't know if he has that much left in him to up end what was done.

Maybe this match would work 15 years ago but i wouldnt be 2 excited now. HBK is still one of the best wrestlers on the planet but Sting is, i am afraid 2 say, past his prime. I have been a huge Stinger fan ever since i was a little kid, but he just cant do it in the ring anymore. Maybe they would put on a good match but idk. Shawn would have 2 carry it probably. Besides I dont think Sting would go 2 WWE.

:fuckoff:Really? Does anybody really want to see Stink VS Michaels at Mania? Come on! Stink hasn't had a good match in at least 10 years, and I could think of plenty of others I would rather see Shawn face at 26, especially if it was his final match.

I think it's hilarious how these "so-called" wrestling purist are saying that Sting is past his prime or can't wrestle but his name keeps popping up to wrestle at Wrestlemania for the last 5yrs. The ONLY REASON, and let me repeat that, the ONLY REASON you smart marks are talking trash is because Sting isn't on WWE tv.
If anyone has bothered to watch the interviews on YouTube he explains why he didn't go to WWE in the first place. It was because he watched Diamond Dallas Page, Booker T, Goldberg, Scott Steiner go to WWE and commit character assasination. Mcmahon did his best to eventually bury all the WCW wrestlers, because like it's been said, WCW wrestlers weren't something Mcmahon created so he buried it.
Sting is brilliant in staying away from McMahonland and calling his own shots instead of Mcmahon wanting Sting to sell him his name, image, & brand all in the name for t-shirt sells.
For the snot noses on here that wrote "Sting hasn't had a good match", watch Sting vs Kurt Angle in TNA or Samoa Joe. Only thing Sting has to be guilty of is trying to put the new guys over and giving them the rub in TNA unlike alot of fellows in WWE.
Most on here are WWE marks and wouldn't know a decent match if it fell in their lap. Today's fans first knowledge begins with a DX chop and ends with Santino Morella in drag.
As for wrestlers past their prime Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Triple H are the first to come to mind but since they're in the WWE they're held in high regard. Undertaker has had his best matches these last few years and so has Michaels. Triple H is predictable and should put someone else over to take his spot.
As for someone like Sting, I believe he has one good full time run ahead of him and Vince Mcmahon sees dollar signs in the process when or if he leaves TNA.
Sting and Michaels would have a helluva match. A 60 min Ironman match would blow the roof off of Wrestlmania. I'd also love to see Sting feud against Orton,Edge & 'Taker.
But if all WWE has to offer: Batista? Jehrico? Triple H? Cena? CM Punk? Don't make me laugh at the sport I love. I'd rather watch paint dry than see these guys run through the same routines with EVERY opponent they face. With all the bad writing and storylines and anti-climatic feuds, WWE needs Sting more than Sting need them.
I'll take Sting over these guys anytime. :ass:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back