• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Without John Cena, Who Would Be The Face Of The Company?

Hmm, if John Cena retired.. who would be the face of the WWE?

If I'm being honest, I'd have to say one of the newer talent such as Sheamus or Jack Swagger, not only because they're already multiple time World Champion's, but because they can wrestle and are dominant. They aren't given a few orange t-shirts and orange sweatbands then instantly turned into superman.

They've done it the normal, old-fashioned way. Earning it, even if it is scripted. They've still done AND are still doing and better job than Cena probably ever will to be quite frank.

But aside the newer talent, I'd probably say either Randy Orton, Edge, Triple H or The Undertaker. Baring in mind Triple H actually comes back and Undertaker doesn't retire.

Tough question, really.

Randy Orton is the logical choice, due to the fact that he is young superstar who is quite over with a gimmick that gets people interested in his character, making him marketable to the WWE Universe. The only problems that he has of taking that spot would be the conflict he has with the PG era, both as an on-screen and off-screen personality (if we take those reports for complete fact). A change of television ratings is the easiest thing that the WWE has to do, considering everyone else eligible for the role.

Some of the older wrestlers like Triple H already have the credentials to adapt to the PG era, but the key word in that sentence is "older." The chances of injury and retirement amongst these guys are higher, so the amount of work they'd need to put in would damage their bodies in the long run. They wouldn't be at the top of the table for a long while either and the E would have to establish some newer stars quickly for them to make the switch to a new face. Speaking of the newer guys, eventually they will be able to fill the role of being top face but the amount of work the WWE need to put in to push them up there would be a handful. They need time to assess all of their younger assets and try their best. There is a high chance they can fail too with their choice.

At this point in time, Randy Orton would be best if they want to have a permanent top face for the company. However, if they see something in some of their younger guys, a transitional guy such as Triple H would work. They have options, just not desired ones.

This is an easy answer for me...the defenate answer would be RANDY ORTON the "face" of the company must go far beyond being the most recconizable performer to the public eye. Remember Ortans first Championship run was as a face and a funny guy smart ass character. The fans loved him until he RKO'd Stacey Kiebler and challanged the Undertaker at WM. The fans weather they loved him or hated him respected him and Ortan demands recconition I think he has the face and the talent to have carried the company if there was no John Cena. Edge is a bonified heel he couldn't do it and HHH is past his hey day though still a huge draw Jeff Hardy was simply poplular but not personable nor reliable enough. Try his brother Matt??? I'm still waiting for him to get his run I see endless talent in Matt.

There is no one on the current roster that can draw, sell, or connect with the current WWE audience like John Cena does. Like him or hate him he puts 100% into everything he does in and or out of the ring. You will not find another performer more dedicated to his job right now than John Cena.

Randy Orton is a jerk in and out of the ring, I do no in any way understand his appeal or his face turn. He is a horrible wrestler with one cool move the RKO, but that was enough to get DDP over as well, with the same exact move. The rest of his move set consists of a punt kick that looks awful every time he does it, and a series of stomps and headlocks. He has no charisma or personality, and his movements that are meant to look cool and intimidating look cartoonish and ridiculous. He could never be the "face" of the company.

Had John Cena never been around I think Jeff Hardy could have become the next HBK, if and only if he could have gotten his life outside of the ring straightened out. He had the crowd eating out of his hand without barely saying a word. If he were to have cleaned up his drug problems and really dedicated himself to wrestling he would have been over more than anyone in a long time. Unfortunately I don't think he had the passion for wrestling like he would have needed to do this.

So most likely HHH would have had to and still would have to carry the shows and the company.

Daniel Bryan!!!! But seriously Orton, HHH, Y2J, Taker, or even the Miz. If any of those guys are given the push and put into a strong face story line I am sure any of them would win over the fans and become the #1 guy. They all got the talent and the mic skills, just a matter of the writers using them the right way.

Ah, finally an interesting question involving John Cena and his role in the WWE. Props to the OP.

I was actually toying with a similar idea the other day, what if Triple H was never around. The thing is, as any true blue nerd would tell you, if you change one thing in the space time continuum, everything could change. By taking Cena out of the picture, the WWE may have kept RVD or Booker T around longer. Maybe Bobby Lashley would have never left. Maybe they would have found some random guy who has the ability but is stuck hopping around in independents.

But for the sake of this discussion, let's just ignore that space time continuum bullshit and talk about what the WWE has now.

I see 3 wrestlers who could potentially be the face of the company.

Triple H- Arguably did carry the company in the mid 2000's, though not always as a face, the King of Kings is definitely one of the best that the WWE has today, if not of all time, and while I do enjoy John Cena, I find Trips even more entertaining. Triple H has the combination of mic skill, in-ring ability, and experience that would allow him to carry the company. While he's sort of old for the face of the company role, I think he'd still manage to do it.

Edge- One of the coolest guys to ever grace the WWE ring. While Edge's most memorable work comes from his time as a heel, he was undoubtably a very enjoyable face. He doesn't quite have that clean-cut face look that John Cena has–Edge is covered with tattoos and his "flowing blond locks" don't exactly scream face of the company in this day and age–he definitely could have been a major face had his career turned out differently.

Jericho- Similar to Edge, some of Jericho's best work comes from his heel work, but in my opinion, Jericho is at his very best when he delivers promos screaming at the top of his lungs so he can be heard over the thousands of shrieking fans. Unlike Triple H and Edge, Jericho's move set is flashy, which may put him at an advantage over the likes of Hogan, Austin, and John Cena, all of whom have fairly simple move sets. Furthermore, Jericho can bridge the gap from Attitude Era fans to PG Era fans. Attitude Era fans will remember Jericho for his hilarious and insulting promos, while PG fans know Jericho for being able to rile up a crowd and really working a match to it's fullest extent. Name the last bad feud Jericho was in. I can't think of one. All these reasons make Jericho one of the best in the business, and it also makes him a good candidate for face of the WWE.

Other candidates include...

Orton- I don't like Orton. He's as unimpressive in the ring as John Cena, but unlike Cena, who makes up for his lack of variety with intensity and brute strength, Orton seems more casual and is not nearly as strong as Cena. Furthermore, Hogan, Austin, Rock, and Cena are all known for giving passionate promos that get the fans out of their seats and cheering for more. Orton's promos can be good, but none of them are inspiring, rousing, or even that entertaining. At best, his promos are interesting. The only reason he is even being considered is because he is so ridiculously over right now.

Bobby Lashley- I don't know why he left the WWE. I'm sure a trip to his Wikipedia page would provide the answer, but I'm too into this post to interrupt it. If John Cena never came to the WWE, there would be a wide open spot for Mr. Lashley to fill. I don't think his rise to stardom would have been as impressive as Cena's (in all honesty, it's because he's black and we all know black superstars have had limited success in the WWE), but he has the build and the moves to make it to the top. If he could get some good mic skills, he would be able to do it. There are only two things holding him back. 1) He left the WWE. 2) He couldn't talk worth a damn.

To wrap this already terribly long post up, I don't think the WWE would be where it is today without Cena. I don't think any other superstar has the look or talking skills to attract public attention like Cena has been able to. WWE would have no real star that could suck people into the WWE, and they would suffer a great decline in viewership, thus further dollars from advertisers, and thus a general decline in product. Love him or hate him, every WWE fan should be thankful for Cena.

i would think if cena had never happened then the wwe would of "looked after" Jeff hardy and made him top face of the company. He is an icon for the kids, is hella over and has been around long enough to know the business.

But Jeff loves trouble and TNA are willing to take a risk on him and it seems to be working out so i dont see him as WWEs poster boy any time soon.

But if cena left tomorrow? Thats a hard one, Orton is too good of a wrestler and not a fan-ass-licker to be a "top face". Hell even Ston Cold had us shoutin "HELL YEA" and "WHAT" all the time

Punk looks to much like Charlie Manson
Edge is a bland asshole
Undertaker could be one botch away from retirment
HHH is too good as a heel and can only stay a credible face for a short time (hint hint wwe)

However, IMO, based on his recent babyface mixed in with a knock out right hand........BIG SHOW is my pick, but he could change my mind next week.

Great Thread...

If there were no John Cena right now, who would be the top face of WWE? Why do you feel this person could be the top face?

I would have to say Randy Orton, these 2 guys started around the same time, and IMO Orton got the more success...without Evolution, I don't think he would have lasted...The thing is Orton is a top class heel...he can just gather heat within seconds....and as we have seen over the last year...he can be a top face as well...he gets the most cheers at any event..sometimes even more than Cena...mosty the face of the company is the one who has success outside the wrestling world as well isn't it?? Another wrestlers close would be Rey Mysterio..the reason why I say this man is because he is arguably the biggest babyface around..very popular with kids..but i don't think he can carry a company...

Is there any of the people who are currently in the mid-card or have debuted in the past years time, that could carry the company? Why do you feel this person could carry the company?

At first, the name popped into my head...Drew McIntyre...i don't know why...maybe...i need to see how he performs as a face..but i don't it will happen soon...Other midcarders i have to say are Kofi Kingston, but I don't see WWE pushing a black wrestler as the face...
Really tough question..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back