Without A.J. Styles, Who Would Be TNA's Top Dog?

Ferbian

Has Returned.
While I know some may not consider A.J the top dog of TNA right now, he is the definition of TNA home grown, he is the definition of the top of TNA both as a heel and as a face, he's one of the more, if not most over people in TNA.

There's also some other people that could very well be the top of the company, but let's assume its A.J because I believe people have noted him to be the MVP of TNA alongside Kurt Angle, and while Kurt is certainly valuable, I don't see him as the face of the company, he's a cornerstone of the company although.

I've already created a similar thread in the WWE section, and I thought I'd give the TNA fans a chance to answer their variation of the question as well.

If A.J choose to retire tomorrow or soon, who would be the guy to take over as the top of the company? who would be "the poster boy"? Why do you feel this person would be the poster boy?

If A.J had never come to TNA, had chosen to go to WWE or stayed in the indy promotions, who would be the top face of TNA today? back then? Why do you feel this person would have been the top face at that time?

I will exclude Kurt Angle because he is already at the top so to speak. I think TNA has a few guys they are training to be the next face of TNA but I don't think they have one fully made yet. I think The Pope or Desmonde Wolfe could both end up being that if they use them right. Matt Morgan is someone that I think could eventually get to the area of The Pope and Desmonde Wolfe. Mr. Anderson is capable in everyway. He's one of those guys that just has IT, but he's in a storyline at the moment that is preventing him from reaching the top. So yeah there are a lot of guys capable of eventually doing it, but none quite ready yet. And in reality that is okay because they don't need a replacement for AJ yet. He's still peforming at a top level, still pulling off moves that make you say WOW, and he's still phenominal.

While I know some may not consider A.J the top dog of TNA right now, he is the definition of TNA home grown, he is the definition of the top of TNA both as a heel and as a face, he's one of the more, if not most over people in TNA.

There's also some other people that could very well be the top of the company, but let's assume its A.J because I believe people have noted him to be the MVP of TNA alongside Kurt Angle, and while Kurt is certainly valuable, I don't see him as the face of the company, he's a cornerstone of the company although.

First off, good on you for denoting the difference between cornerstone and face – I fully agree.

If A.J choose to retire tomorrow or soon, who would be the guy to take over as the top of the company? who would be "the poster boy"? Why do you feel this person would be the poster boy?

I'm assuming you meant top "face" of the company, but meant it as in who'd be the new poster boy, not who'd be the biggest "face" at the time, and in assuming so my answer is Desmond Wolfe. There isn't a "rookie" on the roster elsewhere who's got as much talent (encompassing ring work, technical ability, promo skill, charisma and all) as Wolfe, and though he's obviously a heel, I don't think anyone would deny that Randy Orton would be the "next one" with the WWE were Cena to take a hiatus back to the Fortress of Solitude, so why deny Wolfe the same with TNA? His persona will become a staple synonymous with the youth movement TNA is undergoing right now with Lethal, AJ and Wolfe leading the way, and presuming AJ were to leave as you noted, Wolfe is the glaring choice for next of kin.

If A.J had never come to TNA, had chosen to go to WWE or stayed in the indy promotions, who would be the top face of TNA today? back then? Why do you feel this person would have been the top face at that time?

No one, to be quite honest. Samoa Joe may garner the most nominations here from others, but he's incapable of being that full-on face of a company specifically because of his look. As fucked as it is to say it, the face of your company does need to perform well and be a fantastic wrestler – both of which Joe is – but he also has to have that look that can help sell it. That, unfortunately for Joe, is not something he can lay claim to.

If Aj wasnt here today then Kaz, Joe or Lethal would be the poster boys.

And if Aj was never in TNA then the three guys i mentioned above would took his place because they are AWSOME in their own way. Kaz can do crazy shit, Lethal can put on a clinic and is hilarious and Joe is one of a kind.

If AJ left today, tomorrow or last year, there is always the other cornerstone in TNA: Kurt Angle. The man has carried TNA's main event since his 2006 debut and is starting to take a break so to speak now. Even so, his story still aims at the World title. He can easily pick up the slack while guys like Matt Morgan, D 'Angelo Dinero and Mr. Anderson step up. There is also Desmond Wolfe, Hernandez and Jay Lethal. TNA has this spot wide open right now. It's safe to say that AJ Styles is TNA's top jewel, but there are many jewels there that are almost as valuable.

It is hard to pick a definitive one, especially for the past. If AJ never worked in TNA I would guess Joe would be that face of the company. He would have symbolized the differences that TNA used to play up even more and they have at various points tried to push him at least as hard as AJ. A wildcard is Christian. When Christian left it was said he almost stayed and if they were willing to commit to him at an AJ level I bet he would have. It might not have been different enough but he had all the skills to become the face of TNA.

If AJ retired I would consider three guys, Wolfe, Anderson and Joe. Wolfe has been covered pretty well but he just looks like the total package. Although, unlike most of the IWC I am in favor of building him slowly instead of shoving him straight to the top. Anderson because TNA seems to be building a little more of their niche and the biggest part of that is the promos they are putting together. If that is going to be a big part of their identity why not have the best at it as the face of the company.

I am going with 'Its Damm Real!' answer as I think Wolfe has the all rounded ability and the look to be the face of TNA.

To be quite honest I remember when Desmond was the 'face' of ROH so he has the experience to be the face of any company. But remember that ROH is only wrestling skill and no microphone skill needed but Wolfe excelled well and became the face then heel of the company that only needed wrestling but he could talk the talk with any contender.

My vote is with Desmond Wolfe simple. :)

'Its Damm Real!' you had a question about if A.J had not come into TNA then who would be the poster boy? My guess is Chris Daniels simple because he was next in line for the face push in my option.

Just like my nomination does every week on TNA, I'm gonna take a risk and pick Jeff Hardy. Despite his shady past in TNA as well as his current court stuff, If AJ Styles up and left tomorrow, Jeff Hardy could easily take the reigns and it would be as popular as TNA could be. His fanbase is still strong and it can make for exciting television if Jeff Hardy is the number one poster boy for TNA.

despite what others may say, my vote is samoa joe. they've built him so much over the years, although I think hogan/bischoff kinda watered him down with their stupid abduction storyline, which never played out by the way. But joe has got power and I think more so than any other TNA talent, joe is over and he puts on great matches. I think he is still one of the top guys, if there was no a.j., I would say Joe Yo!:dj:

Even though he is relatively old, I think Kevin Nash would be the front man without Styles. Sure Angle, Joe, Wolfe and Lethal are leading in their own ways, but Nash has been a top dog main stay in every organization he has been a part of. He could carry the weight, just as HHH could carry it if Cena were to part ways with the WWE

Well, in the case that AJ were to abruptly leave TNA, I'd have to say that the new face of the company would become D'Angelo Dinero. Now, I know that some people are saying Wolfe or Joe, but realistically, how could that be? Desmond, while a good wrestler, hasn't been given the opportunites in TNA as of yet for him to achieve his true potential as a performer. Making him the face of your company could be a risk. Plus, he's European. Would it not make sense for the face of an American owned company an American wrestler. And ever since Samoa Joe was made into Psycho Joe, he hasn't connected with the fans in the same way. Take Samoa Joe from 2007-2008, however, and maybe he'd be the guy. But Pope has all the tools to do the job himself, being arguably the most charismatic wrestler in the company.

Now were AJ to have NEVER been in TNA? It'd either be Chris Sabin under his "Hail Sabin" gimmick, or Alex Shelley. Both have similar base in ring skills compared to AJ, the only difference being that AJ has had more experience working with brawlers like Sting, Jarrett, Abyss, and Booker. That skill can be acquired with experience, and both have the right look too. So one of those guys would definately have been able to take AJ's role had he never had it.

I want to say Kurt Angle but wont because i also feel he is the conerstone of TNA right now just as the Undertaker is in the WWE,

That being said I would also have to go with the Pope himself, D'Angelo Dinero. The guy is popular and definitely over with the crowd. He is currently a face but could probably pull off a heel turn just as well. In any circumstance his entrance outfit could satisfy both roles appropriately. Plus with his sunglasses..face mask..t-shirts and other accessories he would have no problem selling merchandise. He could probably be a merchandise monster(maybe not cena wise) but still.

His in ring ability is already great and definitely has the possibility to grow.
He's great on the microphone.
Hes over with the crowd.
Potential merchandise magnet.

I say bring him back, build an interesting storyline and then get the title around him somewhere in the time frame of the next year.

Besides the Pope i would like the put Wolfe...but seeing how there using him these days i just dont know if its a possibility anymore.

Without AJ, I think that it would be more of a combination of guys than one. People like Wolfe, Morgan, Abyss, Pope, and a few others would all be at the top until one broke his way through to be the man. I doubt Abyss could do that, so without AJ, Wolfe, Morgan, or Pope would be the poster boy. Now while these younger guys are fully being developed into stars, you would have Angle probably be the man, or Hardy if he wasn't in that whole court case thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back