• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Has A.J. Styles Really Done Anything In Wrestling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
Other than being one of the best performers of recent years that is.

This can relate to any aspect of his career. From his beginnings, to WCW, to not signing for WWE, to working for ROH & TNA. But if it was to all end today, what would A.J. Styles have done in wrestling to be remembered as one of the greatest? Don't get me wrong, he is great. But he just as likely to be remembered for being Kurt & Christian's fool than for his quality matches.

The the only time he's been top of a company is when TNA was still pretty small. Since then he's had the occasional shot, and he's frequently impressed. But he hasn't been the top guy. And even as the world champion he was always second to Jarrett, just holding the belt until he got it back. Other wrestlers have been pushed harder, like Joe. And other wrestlers have done more in the company, like Angle. None of which is his fault. But a man of his talents really deserves some sort of defining moment.

I think part of it is that he is seen by many as the "face" of the company. Having been there since year dot, the icon of the X division when it was good, as well as being one of the innovators of the Ultimate X match, he does derserve to be seen as a star in the company.

I do feel that he will get another title run, especially as the company continues to develop and become more established. His recent fued with Angle will only help to elevate him and push him closer to the gold.

I hope that his "defining" moment is still to come.

I think u are buggin a.j styles has done a lot then what he was credited for. First off he was there and had the company on his back during the development years of tna. In addition he's the first
triple crown winner of the company which is a great accomplishment. Angle became triple crown in one match which in my opinion was cheap and pointless Granted angle and christian brought starpower when they came to tna but that was after a whole career in wwe. Aj was home grown and came from the bottom to the top and had a lot of 5 star quality matches. The guy is only 30 and still has a lot of time left in his career but if he did stop he would be remembered as the greatest in ring athete in tna history. I disagreed that aj has acomplished that much in wrestling

I think u are buggin a.j styles has done a lot then what he was credited for.

Done a lot more than he's credited for? I think he's done less than he's credited for. Wow, I'm really bitching about my favourite wrestlers today. Fuck it.

First off he was there and had the company on his back during the development years of tna.

I think maybe he squeezed a shoulder up underneath it. It was Jarrett's back really. For the first couple of years I think it's pretty questionable how much people actually cared about him.

In addition he's the first triple crown winner of the company which is a great accomplishment.

...Eh. I dunno. He was pretty much the only guy qualified to compete in all three divisions. That and, y'know, it only really matters if you get the big strap. When he had it he was... underwhelming.

Angle became triple crown in one match which in my opinion was cheap and pointless

True, but AJ's reigns are hardly considered massively important. Possibly because there's so many with them. Kurt did more with the world title than AJ did with all three. Well, AJ did a lot with the X Division belt, granted.

Granted angle and christian brought starpower when they came to tna but that was after a whole career in wwe.

You don't come from WWE or WCW, you're not gonna have instant starpower. Obviously not. How you could expect anyone to is beyond me.

Aj was home grown and came from the bottom to the top and had a lot of 5 star quality matches.

True.

The guy is only 30 and still has a lot of time left in his career but if he did stop he would be remembered as the greatest in ring athete in tna history.

As one of the greatest. But yeah, he'd definitely be up there. It'd be more "The greatest athlete in TNA history... and shamefully little to show for it."

I disagreed that aj has acomplished that much in wrestling

Uh?

Uncle sam has some good points but the fact is when u speak of tna aj styles is almost always meation as a pioneer which add to his legacy. Yes jeff started and carried the company but he also spent a lot of time stroking his ego and adding title reigns to his resume. I argee aj eigns weren't not that huge but think about it when he was world champion tyna was a work in progress they didn't even air on network tv so unless u saw roh or on the ppv aj styles didn't have that much exposure as champion. It says something when any company gives u a world championship 3 times. The company has faith in u to carry the ball and he has whether or not it was 4 a month or year. Angle was given the title during the time tna went national and when tna needed a familair face to hold the title ans since he was well known from wwe he was right person at the right time. I like angle and I am not bashing him at all but trust me if tna gives styles the title now with his momentum he would have a better reign than the champ we have now. Take in account that great match quality is also important and aj can wrestle a mop look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back