• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will July 17th 2011 Become the New "Montreal Screw Job"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to think that anything good will come from this, but I seriously doubt it will. Cena will go for his 5 moves, Punk will counter the AA, there will be a brief back and forth, Cena will lock in the STF, and CM Punk will be gone. Simple and absolutely shit as.

Man I don't know theres so many ways this could go down.... this is going to be a MUST-SEE PPV , and that almost never happens.

History should be made that night , whether its A.CM Punk being screwed B.CM Punk winning and leaving with the title C.CM Punk winning and getting MITB cashed in on him to crown a new 1st timer world champion D.Punk pulling an ultimate warrior refusing to lose and trying to literally knock Cena out and get an undeniable 3 count so he can leave with the title despite original plan? E.Who knows?!

Just as long as they don't somehow make the result a 100% non dramatic Cena victory or something , something interesting is going to go down no matter how you slice it

I do not know if there will actually be a screwjob but a suggestion of a screwjob could be a fantastic way of selling the angle. Basically Vince could appear on Raw the next week and take Cena aside and try to convince him on participating in a screwjob. Cena will obviously say that he is not going to go along with it as he is a goody two shoes babyface. Punk might also cut a few promos saying that Cena is a phony and that he has actually gone along with the screwjob plan. It could be a really good way of selling the desperation of losing the WWE title.

As for the match itself, I would not actually like to see a screwjob. But it can also be a good way of protecting Cena. During the match Cena could lock in the STF and the Raw GM or Vince could ring the bell and try to initiate a screwjob. Cena will have nothing to do with this and will convince the officials to restart the match. Punk can then go on to win the match but Cena will have an excuse that he could have made Punk tap to the STF had the GM not interfered. Punk can come out the next night and talk about defeating both Cena and the screwjob on his way to victory. It won't be true but it will be just the kind of thing that heels do.

It won't .. Creative will work something out more accurate as the ppv comes closer.. When Bret got screwed, it was totally different, everyone knew he was going to WCW and VKM didn't want his World title going to the rival promotion because of what happened to the Womens title a few years earlier..

I dunno, recreating the screwjob just seems lame thereafter.

If they have to screw Cena or Punk, make it original and not just a blatant rip off that has us going "not this again". But I did like the Punk-Taker screwjob, mainly because they had Taker kinda break out of his Deadman persona after the match and look legit pissed.

But to be honest no, I wouldn't prefer any screwjob for this match; a straight up 5 star match with Punk winning would suffice, but it's a long shot.

Punk will win the title, celebrate make a speech, the MITB winner comes out, and beats Punk...........that is what will happen im pretty sure. This then sets up Hulk Cena to win the title back at SS.

How can it be a screwjob? Like...I can't even picture how it would go? He has Cena pinned and the ref stops at 2? It just can't happen again, fans are too aware of booking.

So what do you think will become of July 17th 2011?
Does anyone else think my scenerio of a new "Montreal Screwjob" is possible?

Chances are, he leaves and Cena goes over. I'm pretty sure this is probably going to be a secret for as long as it can be, but it'll probably just happen as clean as it ever would be.

It's just unlikely. Chances are, he takes some time off and makes a big return in a year or so. He'll wait long enough to do some indie stuff, then come back and probably get the respect he really deserves.

If any surprise happens, it'll be that he resigns and actually stays with the company. I doubt that anything else takes place. Could be wrong, I suppose.

i think they have probably got punk on contract until september and that the story will play out like this:- punk will win, most likely with assistance from the new nexus. there will be lead up to the ppv with a story about the contract negotiations.after the title match at money in the bank, i think punk will say bring me the contract i want live on raw tomorrow or i leave with the title. vince (or an anonymous g m announcement)will try and get him to give it back and they get wrestlers to beat on him and security to try and get it back and what have you. this could go on for a couple of weeks at which point punk gets his way holding the belt next to a sign post to florida perhaps. he then rides high as champion until summerslam when the money in the bank winner will then cash in. that would then be the guy for a comeback feud if punk does return. i think that would be great and suit everyone, the company, c m punk and us fans too. this is my first post, so you may well all think im a tithead!lol.

So what do you think will become of July 17th 2011?
Does anyone else think my scenerio of a new "Montreal Screwjob" is possible?

You have to first understand the original Montreal Screwjob before you can even think this would be the new era of it. Once you do, you'll realize these are 2 completely different situations.

First difference is Brett was the champion at the time. He wanted to leave on a high note as champion and have it vacated. Punk is not the champion and is not trying to have it vacated but rather he's trying to leave with it.

Second difference is it was known that backstage Hart was discussing this with McMahon and McMahon told him he could leave as champion. So before the match and during it, Brett thought the finish was going to be him winning and not putting over Michaels. Michaels puts Brett in the sharp shooter, Brett doesn't tap but Hebner is told by Vince to declare that he did and the spitting in the face and all that garbage is all history.

NOW, the first difference is the significant one. Punk is trying to say he's done and is taking the title with him. Or taking the heel way out if you will. Brett wanted to go out a champion and vacate it because he was leaving.

So why would it feel like Punk is getting screwed even it happens just like Montreal did? What is he getting screwed out of? The chance to steal the title for himself? Ok, so that didn't work but it's no big deal. If that actually happened it would be Vince did what he had to do to ensure his title for his company was staying right where it should be. It would no where near be a screw job.

Because of all the said reasons, there's no way, even though it's in Chicago, that this could be anything like Montreal. Different booking, different circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back