• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will July 17th 2011 Become the New "Montreal Screw Job"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwith

Pre-Show Stalwart
I know in today's world that it's super hard to tell fact from fiction, but I myself believe CM Punk is going to finish up with WWE.

Now he has openly on live television say he's done with WWE, and he is going to win the title, and leave with it.. It's a scenerio that's hard to believe that Vince would ever allow. So when it comes down to it, Do you think that Cm Punk will win or lose?
If this is real and not a storyline I say he will lose hands down. I have a feeling Vince will be ring side as before in Montreal, and a screw job will happen, and who know's what will happen.
I've also thought that maybe Vince has gone to CM Punk already and arranged for a whole screw job scenerio to put the Brett Hart & Shawn Michaels screw job to rest since they have come to terms and become friends again.

So what do you think will become of July 17th 2011?
Does anyone else think my scenerio of a new "Montreal Screwjob" is possible?

Well if it ever happens WWE will be in a whole lot of trouble. CM punk is loved by millions of fans around the world, hell i've been a fan of him since he was in TNA. Having him being screwed by Mcmahon to have Cena retain the title, Chicago will explode.

i hope that punk wins then leaves with the belt cause we need a new one lol, plus cm punk deserves it for working his ass off for nothing.
i hope that vince wouldnt be that shallow to actually screw over yet another great superstar he did that to bret already, lesnar and goldberg i believe were screwed over as well (if my memory is correct).

The Montréal Screwjob approach to this match is a really nice way to end this match but I don't think we need another one of these type finishes. The Montreal Screwjob has been done to death, not only in the WWE but TNA and other Wrestling organizations around the world. I don't necessarily see a problem with this type finish other than the fact that I would love something newer, or fresher. A kind of finish where everyone thinks of CM Punk and John Cena instead of Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart.

EDIT. I just noticed something. In the Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels finish, we had Mr. McMahon. He was the authority figure in the whole Screwjob. Now, I don't see anyone playing that role so who would call for the bell?

I will be shocked if Punk win the title. Everything the WWE does anymore is completely predictable. The last thing they did that surprised me was Miz winning at mania. And even that just delayed Cena winning for a month. I think Punk has to leave otherwise it will seem completely pointless for him to make the announcement. What will they do if Punk wins? Immediately strip him of the belt and have a tournament? Doubtful. To me this is as predictable at the elimination chamber pay per view. Everybody knew Miz, Cena, and Edge were all going to win and this is no different. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

naa not in this day and age

youd see a massive revolt backstage... bret wasnt really liked backstage back in the day so thats y not everyone was upset. yea most of the locker room was in an uproar but with a guy like cm punk who everyone has said is one of the nicest guys backstage. im pretty sure everyone would walk out of raw the next night. and im pretty sure cena would as well.

punk wont win. if he does then therel be a new title. but iv heard hes taking a break from overall wrestling. or maybe the whole thing is entire work. who knows

naa not in this day and age

youd see a massive revolt backstage... bret wasnt really liked backstage back in the day so thats y not everyone was upset. yea most of the locker room was in an uproar but with a guy like cm punk who everyone has said is one of the nicest guys backstage. im pretty sure everyone would walk out of raw the next night. and im pretty sure cena would as well.

punk wont win. if he does then therel be a new title. but iv heard hes taking a break from overall wrestling. or maybe the whole thing is entire work. who knows

Jesus H Christ, ENGLISH. Holy fucking crap, I realize this is the internet, but write you're sentences so we can understand them.

Anyway, no, not gonna happen. And if it does happen, it's not going to have the same impact as Montreal, simply because the industry has changed. Now, people now, acknowledge, and frankly expect this sort of thing from promoters, and especially Vince. People would be pissed off, but no one would be surprised by it, and frankly people would expect it. There is no unpredictable outcome when it comes to this. Everyone generally has an idea of what's going to happen, whether it's Cena wins, Punk wins, a screwjob happens, or the briefcase gets cashed in.

Screwjob, no. I think WWE is playing on the fact that most of us already knew about Punk's possible departure. I read somewhere a few weeks back that Punks contract is set to expire in September, not July. I think for storyline purposes, they are saying July because the PPV is in Punks hometown. I would not be surprised if a deal has already been met between WWE and Punk. Punk got on live TV and did a half shoot and didn't get any heat for it? C'mon! It was a work!If anyone knows Punk's history, he has gotten himself in trouble because of his mouth. It cost him a WHC title run in 2009. Punk, I belive, will win the title and sort of hold it "hostage" to bargain a new contract (storyline of course). Punk is the heel in this upcoming feud, why would Cena (Super-Cena) need some ringside help from Vince to help him keep the title! Think about it!

HBK is on RAW next week and it could be possible that he attempts to talk Cena into screwing Punk. Michaels has gone on record and said he would screw Bret again if he had to. I don't think it'll end up like that personally. I think Cena's the sort of guy who would rather go out there and attempt to do it all by himself. He was in a similar position at Survivor Series last year with Free or Fired and he 'made the right choice' then so I don't know why he wouldn't now.

Nowadays everything the WWE does is scripted down to the letter, they are no longer risk takers. And every time someone is headed out, they get burried. I believe Punk has already resigned, which is why a legit screwjob won't happen. However, don't be surprised if they use that "angle" anyway.

If Punk wins, and like asiatic says pull a "hostage" situation with the title, then that would possibly be the most captivating storyline to come out of WWE writers in a long ass time. And I personally hope it goes down that way, because Punk is a standout heel, needs more pay per view wins, and is just all around watchable and Vince knows this, otherwise why give the man the microphone on a regular basis? CM Punk has drawn heat for a while now; the man radiates fire. If he takes the belt off Cena (even for a short time) then that would keep the show from getting pretty stale, don't you think?

And I also believe they re-negotiated his contract, but are keeping it quiet. Would be the best plan.

Interesting theory but I don't see that happening. I think Vince wants to leave the door open for CM Punk to come back, so much so that I'm convinced he'll let Punk leave with the belt (and then of course there will be a tournament for the new belt which Cena will win). The only way I could see a screwjob type scenario is if they're planning a Cena heel turn this early. I'm assuming that if they're having Cena beat the Rock, Cena will turn heel but they COULD use this match in Chicago to turn him heel.

Well there are several reasons why a screwjob won't happen

1. As far as I know CM Punk doesn't have Creative Control, so if he's booked to lose then there's nothing legally he can do about it

2. Unlike in the original screwjob, the guy who's leaving doesn't hold the title, in the original he did and the only way they was going to get it of him was by doing that screwjob

3. If CM Punk is refusing to lose to Cena at MITB then I don't think Vince will hesitate in takeing him out of the main event of MITB and maybe even takeing him out of the PPV card all together

I belive that all Punk is intrested in is putting on a great match for his home town fans before takeing his break/leaving for good

The Montréal Screwjob approach to this match is a really nice way to end this match but I don't think we need another one of these type finishes. The Montreal Screwjob has been done to death, not only in the WWE but TNA and other Wrestling organizations around the world. I don't necessarily see a problem with this type finish other than the fact that I would love something newer, or fresher. A kind of finish where everyone thinks of CM Punk and John Cena instead of Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart.

EDIT. I just noticed something. In the Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels finish, we had Mr. McMahon. He was the authority figure in the whole Screwjob. Now, I don't see anyone playing that role so who would call for the bell?

Be a hell of a reveal for the Annonymous GM wouldn't it?

I don't see that happening, but with today's wrestling fan feeling like they know everything going in via the internet, wouldn't it be a hell of a way to pull the wool over our eyes if Punk resigned weeks ago, he wins clean at MITB and we all believe he actually is leaving with the belt.

I'd say no. I feel as if this angel is over played.

God, at least I'd hope not. I'd like to get past everything attitude era and the like. I've been there and seen that.

I see it only going down 1 of 3 ways. Either Punk is recreating his ROH storyline when he left them, which is most likely. It was by far on of the best storylines from the past 10 years. OR he wins it and is celebrating when the RAW MITB winner cashes in.

3rd option is a Cena squash that sends him off like Jericho

If this is real and not a storyline I say he will lose hands down.

Of course. If Punk is leaving and intending to never come back, why in the world would McMahon let him take the title with him? What for? To make Punk feel good?

If the guy has worked his whole life to make it to the biggest stage of his profession.....and then decides he'd rather throw the whole thing away and work in the minor leagues again..... then let him go and be well. For all the folks on this forum saying what a great addition Punk would make to ROH or TNA, my thinking is that 6 months from the time he joins them, we'll be talking about what a fool he was to purposely demote himself and bring his act to a fraction of the fans who saw him perform in the big time (not to mention the salary he tossed out the window).

On the other hand, if he's leaving, but only for a few months, I suppose they could let him take the title with him...... as long as he has an ironclad contract guaranteeing he'll be back. Personally, I don't know why WWE would want to go several months without a champion to defend the title, but if they want to mollify Punk, I suppose they could do this.

And I just want to say to all of you who complain that Punk "has been given nothing to do these past months" and that "he isn't being pushed": Ask Drew McIntyre, Trent Barretta, Zack Ryder and a bunch of other guys who work on "Superstars" or FCW whether they think Punk has been pushed or not.

I mean.....jeez.

I agree with Sally.

I also am sure he'll win and stay or something storyline related.

Though, what you mentioned about him getting pushed while others are no where to be seen--spot on.

Of course. If Punk is leaving and intending to never come back, why in the world would McMahon let him take the title with him? What for? To make Punk feel good?

If the guy has worked his whole life to make it to the biggest stage of his profession.....and then decides he'd rather throw the whole thing away and work in the minor leagues again..... then let him go and be well. For all the folks on this forum saying what a great addition Punk would make to ROH or TNA, my thinking is that 6 months from the time he joins them, we'll be talking about what a fool he was to purposely demote himself and bring his act to a fraction of the fans who saw him perform in the big time (not to mention the salary he tossed out the window).

On the other hand, if he's leaving, but only for a few months, I suppose they could let him take the title with him...... as long as he has an ironclad contract guaranteeing he'll be back. Personally, I don't know why WWE would want to go several months without a champion to defend the title, but if they want to mollify Punk, I suppose they could do this.

And I just want to say to all of you who complain that Punk "has been given nothing to do these past months" and that "he isn't being pushed": Ask Drew McIntyre, Trent Barretta, Zack Ryder and a bunch of other guys who work on "Superstars" or FCW whether they think Punk has been pushed or not.

I mean.....jeez.

I would have to agree with Sally. People will one day say "Punk is back in ROH? YESS!!"" and then the next week they become fickle and say "why did he leave a well-paid promotion?"

But onto the topic at hand. Will they re-create another "Montreal Screwjob" in Chi-town? No. They will not.

Simply because why re-create something that's already been used not once but on NUMEROUS occasions? If anything, they're most likely setting up for something huge and unforgettable. Considering the event itself calls for something of a shock factor, I wouldn't be surprised.

A few people posted why would Punk be given mic time to address what will go down on July 17th and it's because something is being cooked up for that event, mainly for the WWE Championship bout between Punk and Cena. Cm Punk has been a mastermind at various things (Straight Edge Society, becoming the new leader of the Nexus) and despite he has lost in most of his feuds, it proves he has what it takes to captivate the wrestling fans (good or bad). Punk winning will be such a moment for Punk and his hometown fans...or we see tweets, forum posts of anger, and profane remarks if Punk loses to Cena. Either way, this will be an interesting watch on that day.

I don't see the benefit to Vince screwing Punk. Punk will be gone. I doubt Vince wants to go back to being a full time evil boss character. There is no way WWE wants their top face to need help from the boss to win a match over a guy that is retiring. Plus Punk may be a little bit of a loose cannon but he is an employee of the company and will do the job he is told to do whether it is in Chicago or not and whether he is leaving or not.

The angle so far is that WWE has you interested and talking and more likely to pay $ to see a main event where more likely than not Cena is going to get beat up for 15 minutes and then hit a few moves and win. I hope it produces more than that but I am feeling really cynical today.

I personally think Punk will win the match and then the title gets vacated just like what happened with the Womens Championship and Trish in 2007, yes i know the WWE title is more prestigious.

This would then set up a return storyline if Punk ever did come back - which I believe he will

i just personally believe hell just lose and leave the wwe for a while and take some time off. i really feel r truth is doing a good job of being the main heel and will keep doing that for a couple more months.

for the screwjob angle my opinion is that it wont happen for the sole fact that vince doesnt really want to be involved tv wise in anything anymore. so him showing up on mitb to me is not likely

I can see several scenarios for this situation.

1. Punk wins the title shocking the fans, and making it look like he is leaving with the belt and the winner of the MITB immediately comes out, challenges him and wins the belt, keeping the title in the WWE. Punk then leaves

2. Punk wins and actually remains in the WWE (he secretly signed a new contract and this is all just a storyline to keep people guessing), with nothing major happening

3. Punk wins and says he is leaving (but has secretly signed a new contract). The PPV ends and the following few weeks Raws/SD's are all about the title leaving the company, and needing to organise a tournament to crown a new champion. The WWE is left without a champion and then out of the blue 1-2 months later, just as the new champion is to be crowned, CM Punk returns with the old title, claiming he is still the rightful champion. Ready made feud right there.

4. Punk loses and leaves the company, and nothing major happens.

If Punk had cut that promo without permission and announced he would be leaving with the belt, there is no way he would be allowed to wrestle in the match. Vince would be furious and would keep Punk off TV until his contract expires.

I would personally prefer option 3, it would be something never seen before. The WWE has never had a storyline where the champ has supposedly left for a couple of months, taking the belt with him. They would never need to refer to Punk by name (as they never talk about non-contracted talent) and just talk about "an incident at the last PPV" and the need for a new title. They could even debut a new title belt in the meantime to make it really look like he left, and Punk could claim he was a free agent in interviews. Perhaps even make the odd appearance on the indies to make it look legit- like the Daniel Bryan idea.

What do you think of my ideas. If done correctly, this could be an incredible storyline, and one of the all-time best. The pop when Punk returned with the title after a few months off would be awesome

The whole idea of a "Chicago Screwjob" would only be realistic if Punk's contract actually does expire on July 18th but from what I have heard it may even run until September even without an extention being signed.

Should Punk win the title, it is all set up for a MiTB cash in either at the PPV itself or the following night on RAW as Punk says his goodbyes. However, perhaps it is so obvious that Punk is bound to make sure to have the Nexus protect him from such an eventuality, unless of course Mason Ryan wins the RAW MiTB on a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back