• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who Should be TNA's Franchise Player in 2011?

Rasha

Championship Contender
Looking back through wrestling history it's not hard to pick out the guy (maybe two) whose respective company decided to focus on and use as the flagship or franchise player in a given year(s). Hogan in the late 80s and early 90s, Sting in WCW 1997, Austin in WWF from 97-99, Cena for the last few years... you can name most of them off the top of your head.

TNA goes into 2011 with a bit of uncertainty. Jeff Hardy is the World Champ but his legal issues threaten both his availability and marketability. And, to be fair, his title reign hasn't been that prosperous. Names like Kurt Angle and Rob Van Dam are around but have dropped out of focus. Matt Morgan and Mr Anderson are the two main faces but both have question marks if you're thinking of putting your marketing machine behind them. TNA's last true franchise player, AJ Styles, is currently a mid-card heel overshadowed by his stable.

Who do you think TNA SHOULD put its promotional focus on going forward? If Hardy's legal problems don't conflict should they stick with him? Is Anderson ready to step into the driver seat? Should they try and get one last big ride out of Angle while he's still physically able? Or maybe it's time to go back to your core, loyal audience and give them back their favorite "Phenomenal" son as the company's top star?

The answer to this question will always be AJ Styles. He is the best option that they have because he is the best total package that they have. In his previous run, Styles has shown that he can carry the company on his back and when paired with other capable workers, he has shown he can work wonders and carry fantastic programs.

It's not being smart to go with AJ, it's just the right choice. As good as Anderson is, he is not truly proven in the ring. Hardy is Hardy, RVD is old and seems not to have his heart in it, Angle is marvellous but fragile. Morgan could be it but I'm a little unconvinced.

So is it just me or maybe I'm crazy, I don't totally feel TNA has a total package to carry them or be a franchise player. By no means am I saying AJ doesn't have talent because he does but I feel he is lacking on the mic. To be completely honest I think TNA needs a franchise couple. AJ maybe and someone to really get his message across. RVD has been done since the original ECW ended and Mr. Anderson couldn't sell out a high school gym. But yeah I think AJ is the man if he only had the right month piece. But I don't feel flair is the right guy for that

I personally think its Samoa Joe

But for whatever reason- TNA never lets any push involving him continue. they always stall it out for whatever reason. Joe gets the biggest reaction out of the Impact Zone every single time he comes out to the ring. Who else in TNA gets a crowd reaction of: "joes gonna kill you" chants from the crowd?

Who- I said? Well let me answer my own questions, if I may: "pope is pimpin" I believe The Pope is the other guy that can push TNA up quite a few notches- if he's allowed to do so.

Unfortunately for both Joe & Pope...TNA feels more of a need to push Possible felons like Jeff Hardy & has beens like Jeff Jarrett! I dont know WHY- that part I just cant explain.

Morgan & Anderson both are getting thier shots rightnow also. I dont wanna leave them out of the discussion- cuz that would be dumb. I just think all-around: Pope & Joe are the guys I'd be basing MY company around. AJ will always be AJ- fantastic in the ring, but lacking mic skills to actually carry the company.

Of course- this is only MY opinion

Sorry people you might think that I'm an ass hole for it, but I think it Robert Roode turn. He can speak on the mic, he has the body and he also have been there for a long time without a single title push. I can't even think of the last time he had singles feud beside with Eric Young.

I read this thread over and one man came to my mind, and that was MATT HARDY. Think about the feud he could have with Jeff when he returns. That would be amazing.....NOT!

Ok on a serious note, I am going to have to go with Kurt Angle. The guy is getting up there in age so he doesn't have to many years left in his career. He has been TNA's top dog since he debuted with the company back in 06. He has had some great feuds and epic matches within his TNA career. For the past four years TNA has ran there company around three men, Kurt Angle, Sting, and AJ Styles. With Sting off television and AJ in Immortal, Angle is our only hope left within the three. Sure 2011 could be centered around AJ Styles but what would TNA gain from it? "The Phenomenal One" is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time but I don't think TNA would gain much from it in 2011.

Now Kurt Agle on the other hand, a lot can be gained from that. He will make his in ring return at Genesis. Then he can keep his feud going with Jarrett for a while and then start going after the title and feuding with the world champ, Jeff Hardy. The two can put on some good matches and I would really enjoy them going at it for the World titles in the main event. So lets say, Angle feuds with Jarrett untill Against all Odds. Then at Destination X he can take on Hardy and lose with Hardy getting himself disqaulified intentionally. They could run with that and have a match at Lockdown inside the steel cage for the Immortal World title. Angle would then win the match and bring back the old World title. Hardy can then go to jail or something. Lulz.

From there ANgle can start feuding with younger talent. He would then come out the night after Lockdown and say hes going to be a fighting champion and will defend his world title every single week on Impact (noone has done that before and if he wins these matches then it could set him up as a badass.) He would then defend it every week untill Sacrifice. At Sacrifice he could defend against AJ Styles. They have had some classic matches and I would like to see it again. He would go over Styles at Sacrifice and then continue defending every week on Impact. At Slammiversary he could face RVD (RVD could join Immortal. Yes, I said it. He could join them by selling out or something and have him take Hardy's role.) Angle would of course win and continue feuding with Immortal. That would drop the title defense every week and he would take on RVD once again at Victory ROad in a ladder match. Of course he wins again, but still feuds with Immortal. At Hard Justice, he leads a team into a lethal lockdown match against Immortal. His team would win and the feud with him and Immortal would be over.

Now lets say that night, Angle had ANderson on his team and him and ANderson were the last two survivors in the lethal lockdown match. After the match, ANderson would turn on ANgle and they would begin a feud. (Remember, Angle has been undefeated since he won his title at Lockdown.) Kurt ANgle would come out the next night and ask ANderson why he did it. Anderson would reply saying he should be the top guy in TNA not Angle. There would then be a tournament with the winner getting a shot at Angle at Bound For GLory. The tournament will go on for a few weeks with the finals being at No Surrender. In the finals, Mr. Anderson vs RVD or something. That night ANgle would announce that he is retiring at Bound For Glory.

ANderson beat RVD and it is ANderson vs ANgle for the title in ANgle's retirement match. TNA could give this match about 30 minutes and let them steal the show. ANgle would win. AFter the match the whole roster comes out and celebrates with him. He hands the title to DIxie Carter, and makes a retirement speech thanking the fans and stuff. He would stay retired or go to WWE I guess but not come back to TNA.

Sorry guys if I did a little fantasy booker type thing but I am new and wanted to make an impact. I just thought that it would help TNA and Kurt Angle in the long run. Think about all those matches, ANgle vs Jarrett, ANgle vs HArdy, Angle vs Aj, Angle vs RVD, and ANgle vs ANderson in a blow out match to top it off. This would give TNA better pay per view main events, which they are lacking at the moment.

Sorry people you might think that I'm an ass hole for it, but I think it Robert Roode turn. He can speak on the mic, he has the body and he also have been there for a long time without a single title push. I can't even think of the last time he had singles feud beside with Eric Young.

You may still be an asshole, but not for this. I think Roode is the hidden gem on that roster right now. He's got the look, the swagger, the mic skills, and the wrestling ability to carry the company. I think it'd be amazing if he took over Fortune by spearheading the movement to kick out AJ, then rebelled against Immortal and went after Hardy. The trio of Roode, Storm as his sidekick/enforcer, and Flair as a manager would be the best thing to happen to TNA in some time.

Numbers hit the nail on the head, the answer will always be AJ. The guy never ceases to amaze me with some of the moves he pulls off. His matches always get a pop. His mic work has been improving hanging out with Flair. There's no doubt he has the swagger and knows how to carry the belt. He didn't end up number one on the PWI 500 for nothing, the guy knows how to work.

Others have mentioned Roode, he's another guy that has "it". I love him in Beer Money, but I wish TNA would let him wrestle singles matches every once in a while. He could be a franchise player, but it would take a long time to build him to that position. AJ is a guy you can move right into the spot, if hes not in it already.

Ric-Flair.jpg

I agree with a couple pointsr mentioned but I gave one question. Why is it THE franchise player. I can't lick just one. I am going to go with two that have been there from the begining. Roode and Aj. There's a ppv I would buy. A correctly built face Aj vs. a heel Roode.

A great fued can carry a company more than one person. I don't think this fued can happen start running its course until mid Feb cause Beer Money has another tag title run in them. But when they drop the titlesit could begin.Bicshoff could flip when they lose the titles. they will start teasing a AJ and Roode turn. They have had enough and want nothing to do with Immortal. In a tag match we get the swerve. Roode comes out next week with the typical sick of your shadow speech and takes over Aj's role in Fortune.

I really like the idea behind it not being a single person to bring up the company but a number of guys. The feuds and alliances built allow them to drop weaknesses onto each other. You say AJ is lacking on the mic? Throw him into a feud with Pope? You say Joe is lacking the look of ME? Throw him in a TV title match against Roode. Hell, imagine Lethal after he gets over being high flying and fast, the dude's precise in the ring and knows how to stare at a challenger. But he's bad on the mic so stick him against Joe and people with a sense of history will go nuts. Given their history, they could do things. TNA is so frustrating because they have all the tools, but incompetent users.

If I say TNA what wrestler will most people think of? AJ Styles, There's your answer to both questions. He's the best wrestler in the world today IMO. But he might need some help with his mic work. He has improved vastley since he's been acompanied by Flair, but he still has some potential in that area.

Im not completely sure there is a Franchise player ala Hogan, Flair, Sting, HBK, HHH or even Shane Douglas in the old ECW. AJ is the best in ring performer in the world today. Joe could be a franchise player in a small pond like the old ECW, but eh does not have the it factor. 30 years ago Robert Rude would be the best heel in the business, and he may be the best option. I will not even consider Hogans boys because I don't believe they have real staying power. The one who may will be playing don't drop the soap pretty soon.

this leaves us with the real situation TNA does not have a franchise player, so they need a group of them.

When you are talking about the face of thre company you need to check only one attribute in a wrestler: charisma. And, in my opinion, the most charismatic guy in TNA presently is Mr Anderson. The Impact Zone just explodes every time his music hits. Is he a better wrestler than Samoa Joe or Styles? Obviously not but wrestling skill does not matter a lot here. A good wrestler will only hold your attention for a little while but a charismatic one will be the one to keep you glued to your TV set eagerly awaiting what they would do next.

Obviously how far Anderson will go depends on how well TNA book him.

I think you have asked THE question TNA itself needs to be asking. People will be saying that TNA needs to have a number of guys circulating the top, well that is just one state a company can be in storyline-wise. History shows that a company is ACTUALLY at it's best when they have but one single flag-bearer. Sting..........Stone Cold.............Hulk Hogan, you could even take Nexus recently because it was very successful and all centred around one man, John Cena. Putting one man against the odds is always a smart move if you choose the right guy.

So there is many possibilities right now in TNA: Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, Jeff Hardy, Pope Dinero, Matt Morgan, Mr Anderson, even RVD or few others like Bobby Roode or jay lethal others could potentially be the guy to watch next year. My personal picks would be either AJ Styles or Mr Anderson, Anderson for the heat he could draw as top heat, as good as a job as hardy is doing, he would be nothing compared to Anderson as a heel in top spot. And AJ for his sheer athletic ability could make him, as has been the case in the past, a top face who everyone can get behind.

I cannot pick between and both are good options if they decide to go the way of a 1-man lead company.

I literally JUST got into TNA right after "they" showed up. And even though Morgan and Anderson are getting pushes....NOW. I think Sting is always gonna be the person I think of when I think TNA. Sting while old is also completely capable. Just plays the mystery role so perfect. AJ is great also. Very disappointed with how they're using him though.

It should be AJ, it'll look like RVD is going to get the nod but in the end it's going to be Total Nonstop Anderson.. until he's inevitably injured and looses all his momentum again. Pope and Samoa Joe are destined to feud with the fodder in Immortal along with Morgan where all 3 of them belong right now.

I think the answer is going to be Robert Roode. The guy has all the tools to be a main event guy. The only problem is you'd break up Beer Money who is one of your top tag team names with an extremely good gimmick.

A wee name to throw out there first - a guy with something to prove, a top line heel (doesn't really do it as a face) and good on the mike. Who? MVP

Who do I think will be 2011 franchise? Jeff Hardy. Matt and Helms are rumoured to be on their way and I can see an Immortal reign of terror for some time.

Who would I like to see? Single name franchise ala Hulkamania? Faction rulz like the original nWo? Rivalry lead like Stone Cold/ Vince/ Rock/ Triple H? I think I'd like to see a combo of options B & C... indulge me a minute

Matt and Gregory Helms turn up and side with Immortal who turn on FOURtune along with Rob Terry and Kaz. A new British Invasion springs up and act as Immortal's brute squad. Matt Morgan returns to FOURtunes side. This leaves three factions:
Immortal - Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Gregory Helms, Kaz, Jeff Jarrett, Abyss, Gunnar & Murphy (lead by Hulk and Easy E) supported by
British Invasion - Doug Williams, Rob Terry, Desmond Wolfe with Chelsea, Magnus, Paul Buchill and Winter
FOURtune - AJ Styles, Beer Money and Matt Morgan (lead by Ric Flair)
Anderson, Pope, Joe, Sting et al can then act as lone wolves or form alliances (possibly at the behest of Dixie) to try and wrestle power from the top liners.
(A more lengthy storyline of how these factions evolve can be found in the thread I started
http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?t=145147
)

First off why does there only need to be one? You brought up the attitude era in the WWE and how it was focused around Austin, and don't get me wrong the man played a huge role in the development of that time period, but so did people like The Undertaker, The Rock, Triple H, and so on. No company ever fully basis itself around one individual, nor should they.

Now as far as the question, I believe if we have to stick to one individual then there is no choice but the man who has been the face of the company since day one, and thats the Phenomenal AJ Styles. This man may as well bleed TNA, because he sure as hell is TNA imo. I remember watching back when the weekly show was on PPV and one of the first people I saw was AJ Styles, now at the time I had no idea who the hell this guy was but after watching him for a couple weeks I said to myself this guy is the future of this business and today he has proven that.

Sure there are others that could possibly be able to step up into the role of a franchise player for TNA, those being Matt Morgan, D'angelo Dinero, and Mr.Anderson to name a few. But until AJ Styles leaves TNA for one reason or another, there is no name that says TNA quite like his.

Who will be the franchise in 2011? AJ of course is at the top of the list. But right now, he is sinking in mediocracy. Unless TNA starts doing something with him fast, he will continue to fall out.

Right now, Morgan looks to be that guy that can inject TNA in 2011. Through the years, he has gotten better and better. Both in the ring, and on the mic. He still needs some improvement, but I can see him being the man that TNA goes to.

First off why does there only need to be one? You brought up the attitude era in the WWE and how it was focused around Austin, and don't get me wrong the man played a huge role in the development of that time period, but so did people like The Undertaker, The Rock, Triple H, and so on. No company ever fully basis itself around one individual, nor should they.

To be fair, I didn't give Austin for the entire Attitude Era. I said 97-99, which clearly was his time as the WWE's focal point with the feud with McMahon and the Corporation/Corporate Ministry. But to your point, it doesn't diminish the roles that Taker, Rock, HHH, or anyone else played in the Attitude Era to say that Austin was the top guy. That's just a statement of historical fact.

I'm not saying that TNA should take one guy and rely so heavily on them like the WWF did with Hogan, but I do think they need a top face for the fans to rally behind. At no point in the last 20 years wrestling history, with maybe the exception of the EARLIEST days of the nWo, has a company flourished without that flagship face. And even then you had Sting sort of floating in space as the hoped-for savior.

For me its AJ I think their setting it up where he is going to leave immortal and fortune. I wish Rob Terry could get his stuff together and put on great matches. I think he has the size and look to help TNA get some more viewers. Dude just cant wrestle! I cant believe TNA just cant find any 6'3to6'8 guys they can mold to be their guy. Do they have a developmental place like wwe has Fcw.

Anderson and Pope can be the closest thing to Rock and Austin if booked right. Anderson having Rock's mic skills but also Stone Cold's spot. Pope having Rock's color but also Rock's spot.

I also am a firm believer in pushing Doug Williams to the moon and giving him a title run.

a safe choice would be AJ for obvious reasons but a different route would be refreshing. as brilliant as angle is, he is old and susceptible to injury.

i find rvd boring on the mic despite being able to put on a good match. Joe has no charisma whatsoever, and any storyline involving him would be very one dimensional. as for the pope and morgan, i just dont see them as genuine main event players. would you really rely on either of those two guys to sell out an arena??

the question mark hangs over jeff hardys head regarding his legal problems but his in ring work has seriously declined in recent years anyway while the rumours concerning matts arrival and title run are laughable at best and would seriously damage tnas credibility.

that really only leaves one guy; Mr Anderson. good in the ring, over with the crowd and obviously excellent on the mic makes me think that 2011 should be his year.

AJ Styles no questions asked. He built that company. When someone says TNA you think AJ Styles. When someone says AJ Styles you say TNA. Unlike when someone says WWE or WCW you think of several people. Plus it would be different because AJ is a high flyer and I can't think of a time where any other company has had a high flyer as their franchise player. Hardy's a fuck-up and a prick and if TNA wants to build their company around someone like that then thats their problem. AJ Styles eats, sleeps, and breathes TNA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back