Who performs the best Spear?

Y2Jericho

GORE! GORE! GORE!
Being a huge fan of Edge, Goldberg and obviously Rhino, I've always wondered how their variants of the Spear match up not only in power, but in execution and who can bring one of out no-where the best.

There's 6 people I can think of off the top of my head who use the Spear:
Edge,
Goldberg,
Rhino,
Bobby Lashley,
Batista,
and The Big Show.

Of those the most powerful is easily Goldberg, fuck, he nearly rips people in two. The best execution of the move goes to Bobby Lashley, because he doesn't look like a massive jerk-off before he goes for it. The best way of bringing it out of no-where goes to Rhino, when he Gored a mid-air Jeff Hardy way back in like 2002 I believe...

If anyone can think of anyone else (I know there's more) please let me know on here.

IMO, by far, it's Goldberg.

The viciousness of how the move looked and when when jumps up and does that "safe" thing with his arms.

Edge and Rhino were close seconds. But nobody else, (including Dave Boob-Tista) comes close.

Jessie Neal is starting to perform a decent spear. I'm guessing he's going for more of a Gore since he worked with Rhino n I always liked the Gore more than anybody's spear, even Goldberg. Im still not sold on Edge spearing people. I thought he should have kept the Edgeacution DDT as his finisher. Lashley n Batista were about the same for me, lazy and uninspiring

Goldberg, far and away, has the best spear ever. Edge has the worst of the lot and the most overuse. Can't remember Lashley's that well. Big Show's, like most of his moves, looks like he's trying NOT to hurt someone. Having said that, he has to or he'd be killing folks. But ultimately Goldberg's was so crushing and devastating. AND it was just his set up move for the jackhammer. It was so devastating that when he was in the "E" they wanted him to just use it as his finisher.

Hell if any two of these guys were trying to spear eachother at the same time, I think Goldberg's would drive the guy back like a football hit.

Anybody that thinks it's anybody but Goldberg needs to get their head examined.

Not only was it powerful and electrifying...but once it was hit...you knew exactly what was coming next.

I think a major contributor to Goldberg's Spear was the fact that he was a former football player... So he'd've been perfecting that move YEARS before he hit the ring, and that's arguably what made his the best.

When I think Spear...first thing im my head is GOLDBERG!! GOLDBERG!!...this guy made what the spear is today...not many recognize him for the spear though..

The way he exectued it was just ruthless, he ripped his opponents in half and the way he lifts his opponennt in the progress, just looks sick..

The weakest goes go Edge..its like he doesn't put much into them sometimes!! but the one on Mark Henry at MitB was good..

When I think Spear...first thing im my head is GOLDBERG!! GOLDBERG!!...this guy made what the spear is today...not many recognize him for the spear though..

The way he exectued it was just ruthless, he ripped his opponents in half and the way he lifts his opponennt in the progress, just looks sick..

The weakest goes go Edge..its like he doesn't put much into them sometimes!! but the one on Mark Henry at MitB was good..

I certainly agree. Plus, compared to the typical wrestler...Edge isn't that big or intimidating. Why he would spear somebody is mind boggling to me. Rhino was just a tad more believable than Edge because he was a little guy but on the heavier side. But then you throw Goldberg into the mix...and you add those tens of thousands of fans screaming and yelling on Monday Nitro...and he would hit that spear...that was it...game over.

skip sheffield hit edge with a huge spear on edge on monday night... hes a former football player and hes definately got the size and intimidation factor- he might be the NXT big thing, when it comes to the spear...

Clearly my spear is the best, but since WWE is rated PG now... lol kidding...

The only good thing about Edge's spear is the intensity right before he hits it, even though 90% of finishing moves in WWE that require buildup never get hit after said buildup. But as for the finisher itsellf, Edges spear is nothing special.

Obvously, Goldberg has the best spear, hands down.

Big Show's spear might look like it's nothing grand, but just think about what the hell this 500 pound man is doing when he spears people. Screw what it all looks like, I'd take a Goldberg spear over a Big Show spear anyday. I'd rather be ripped in half the have my ribs turned to dust on impact.

skip sheffield hit edge with a huge spear on edge on monday night... hes a former football player and hes definately got the size and intimidation factor- he might be the NXT big thing, when it comes to the spear...

That spear was absolutely brutal looking so I think with time if he is around he could be right up there. but as far as the guys that were listed I'm not sure who I would go with because they all have an intensity to them that you cant say they should have never used the spear. IMO I'm going to say either big show or goldberg due to big shows size and goldbergs speed and raw power.

Goldberg because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eO5HVMK7kw

The other thing I wanted to mention is that compared to other guys that use the Spear, it's not his finisher but his setup move for the Jackhammer. To think that after spearing somebody you couldn't think of a more brutal way to deal damage to his opponent then all of a sudden, the Jackhammer comes.

I will also add that Skip Sheffield hit a pretty darn good spear last Monday. Personally I think that Sheffield doing that clothesline he normally does is better, but if the Spear is to be his finisher long term, it would work well for him.

It's Goldberg by a mile. No spear elicited a response like his, because as Optimist noted, once it was hit, you knew what was coming next. Essentially, it was all downhill from there.

While guys like Rhino, Edge, etc. all perform the move admirably, none of them managed to elicit the type of response Goldberg did when performing it.

Goldberg, Rhino at a close second. Goldberg for all the claims of his stiff working, made the spear look like one of the most physically destructive moves in wrestling, no doubt his football background helped. That being said Rhino is a very close second. This past week on iMPACT Rhino blasted a security guard with the Gore and it looked very clean and very effective.

In terms of the other guys listed none of them managed to pull it off convincingly.

Lashley was ok but it really seemed like he was trying to be Goldberg and part of what made Goldberg's spear so great was how well the crowd reacted to it. Batista's spear was terrible, so is Big Show's it seemed more like they just fell forward and called it a spear. As for Edge, he's too thin and since his leg injuries he hasn't been able to utilize the run-up to it's full extent.

So for me it's Goldberg then Rhino.

Of those listed, Goldberg easily had the best spear. Goldberg's spear contained everthing, in my view, for the move to be its most effective. When Goldberg hit the spear, he was moving fast, there was a lot of power in the hit and he put every ounce of his bodyweight into it. When Goldberg hit the spear, the other guy looked as though he was about to be torn right out of his boots.

Goldberg would have to be the best, but I agree with the BIGdeal. Sheffield's spear on Raw was pretty impressive, and on the replay he got him more with just his arm than his shoulder and it still looked devastating. I would love him to add that to his aresenal.

For me the answer is Goldberg, when you look at Edge and when he hits the spear it dosen't look like it would break you in half.That is what Goldberg has, that massive impact of when you turn around your going to be in two different parts.You would see the guys on the mat and holding their ribs in pain, and they really wouldn't get up for a few minutes.So Goldberg has the best spear for the impact he delivers it with.

I would have to say Goldberg, all because of the feud him and Jericho had, did you see him spear Charles Robinson outta his shoes? :wtf: That is my choice hands down. If you wanted to talk about the theatrics invovled with setting up for the spear, I'd say Edge, his pulling his hair out, and his angry faces he makes, I'd say he has the best 'FACE' for spear if such a category exists.

Believe it or not, I really like the Big Show's version of the spear. The other guys perform the spear well also, including Sheffield's, but for a man the size of Wight to pull of the spear as effectively as he does, I think it looks absolutely devastating.

People don't give Show enough credit or respect. He's a big guy. People call him things like the Big Slow and stuff like that, but I think he moves remarkably well for a huge man. Granted he's not Evan Bourne or Rey Mysterio, but I think he's actually pretty agile for his size.

When he hits his spear it looks like it would literally break you in half. Plus he probably lands on top of you after delivering the move. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Big Show spear, I can tell you that. Not that I would particularly enjoy receiving a spear from any of them.

Seeing how the spear is one of my favorite moves of all times, the way it looks just from the start to finish can easily excite any crowd. Now with that being said I don't see how it can be anybody but Goldberg, and if there are any doubters just look at this:

[youtube]U5MRBfF4dTk[/youtube]

Although for me personally Edge's spear is my second favorite and here's one his that I love:

[youtube]MoGs4Zzxdck[/youtube]

My favorite spears belong to Goldberg and Rhino. Jesse Neal is also developing a decent Gore. But don't forget Marty Brown/Marcus Cor Von. His Pounce was simply deadly, and IMO it's considered a variation of the Spear. Plus, he was the ONLY one who attempted it. Nobody tried to ruin it with their special taunt, or use it against Cor Von. I guess it's technically not the Spear, but I always thought of it as a unique variation.

Like many people on this thread, I say Goldberg's was the best with Rhino a close second. Goldberg for obvious reasons and Rhino's due to his size.

And thats the thing. I personally think the spear is a very poor finisher overall. The only reason Rhino got away with it was his size and muscle mass. Jesse Neal from TNA does the worst one I've ever seen. He's not the biggest guy and when he does it on wrestlers larger than him (Bubba Ray Dudley for example) it looks totally laughable. He looks like he's just pushing Bubba over. Also when Angelina Love does a better looking spear as a regular move, I think Jesse needs to rethink his moveset.

Overall I feel the spear shouldn't be a finisher at all. At best it's a set up move, acting as a prelude for a proper finisher.

Goldberg's,if your split in half after a set up move that is bad, Rhino a close second since it looks like he gets more speed and strength into it, the Big Show since he is a giant, and Lahley mainly because he has the size to sell it being devastating.

Edge's is the least grand, mainly because he sets in the corner for hours (usually) and then hits it, you can really only do that for the Sweet Chin Music and it seem effective, and the only time it was remotely watchable is when Cm punk jumped over him and he ended up spearing Jeff.

I love the Gore, and it was great to see it on TNA during the "ECW" segment the other week,

BUT

After finishing the Monday Night Wars DVD last night, and seeing the clips of Goldberg destroying people with his spear, it reminded me just how brutal that was.

So, yeah, I'm going for Goldberg, that guy was destruction personified!

I say Goldberg, i remember them wcw days when Goldberg goes for a spear u can actually feel the pain..the way i saw it was like damn that got to hurt like when he even spear The Rock twice. Rhyno is Second, but edge i don't know why he is using it because he didn't make it look like the move had a big impact, also he doesn't hit hard like Goldberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back