Ranking who hits the best Spear

ASKane

Championship Contender
With Roman Reigns bringing the Spear back to prominence I have seen the debate of who does it best start again.

I would like to see what your opinion of I am going to give you 8 names of Spear users and I would like you to rank them from best to worst with 8 obviously being worst. You can make a comment justifying your selections if you want

The guys to rank are Roman Reigns, Edge, Rhyno, Goldberg, Batista, Christian, Bobby Lashley and Big Show.

My List
8. Edge (it was a run hug)
7. Christian
6. Big Show (too slow to make it look good)
5. Batista
4. Bobby Lashley
3. Rhyno
2. Roman Reigns
1. Goldberg

The spear has been overused so much to the point where it doesn't feel like a finisher anymore. Having said that Goldberg definitely had the best spear followed by Edge and then Rhino.

I don't know why people criticize Edge's spear so much, perhaps towards the twilight of his career it looked weak but pre-2003 his spear was as good as any other in my opinion.

As much as I love Christian he has the worst spear, there's nothing with the way he executes it but he's just too skinny to use it as a finishing move and it ends up looking so weak.

I only did men. A bit sexist but I think its difficult to compare a spear done on men to one done on women

The Spear is a hard move to perfect, so here's my list

Rhino-His Gore is one of a kind. The difference between Rhino and everyone else who has done the Spear is that Rhino always put all of his energy into completely running THROUGH his opponent instead of simply trying to take them down. Here's a couple examples of what I mean about Rhino running through his opponents-Rhino Goring The Rock-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO4cCimeJ1A Here's a compilation of some of Rhino's Gores-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbbI_vBzuPk

Now for anyone who will say that Edge actually does a good "Spear" is completely mistaken..Edge has the worst body type for delivering a Spear..Edge is lanky, tall and doesn't have the strength/power to ever perform a true Spear..ASKane is exactly right when he called Edge's "Spear" a running hug..I've always called Edge's "Spear" "The Running Hug Of Doom" because that's exactly what Edge does..He doesn't "Spear" his opponents, he simply gives them a running hug which looks atrocious and should never have been his finisher to begin with. Edge should've kept using The Downward Spiral or Gangrel's DDT as his main finishers since both of those moves actually looked like finishers when he used them. Here's a prime example of some of Edge's Running Hugs Of Doom-Edge gives The Miz a Running Hug Of Doom-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjzpfs-b7a4 Edge hitting The Running Hug Of Doom on Shawn Michaels-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qWYlqI50Vg
Edge hits Helmsley with The Running Hug Of Doom-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNjJbBxKZ8Q

Those videos of Edge using The Running Hug Of Doom show exactly why Edge should've never started bastardizing the Spear and why Rhino's Gore is the best version of the Spear by far..I do like Roman Reigns' Spear since he actually takes people out with it, he has a CFL/NFL background and he can hit the Spear on just about anyone and make it look convincing. Goldberg obviously also has a great Spear due to his strength, agility and NFL background.

1. Goldberg - Undisputed King of the Spear!!!
2. Roman Reigns - Like his version, especially when the opponent has been tossed up in the air.
3. Rhyno
4. Batista
5. Edge - Wouldn't of expected him to hit it any harder given his frame but at least he could run towards his opponent with some sort of speed.
6. Bobby Lashley
7. Christian
8. Big Show - It was/is so slow anyone could/should be able to avoid it

Goldberg and Rhyno did it best. The thing is, Goldberg didn't use it as a finisher, he used it the way it should be used. It was a setup to take the wind out of you so he could hit the Jackhammer.

Rhyno's looked like a finisher when he hit.

Edge's version was just embarrassing.

goldberg had the most devastating spear BY FAR, look at some youtube spear compilations and you'll see what I'm talon about, especially the WCW highlights, dude folded people in half

ASKane said:
With Roman Reigns bringing the Spear back to prominence I have seen the debate of who does it best start again.
I don't know about this, though. Edge used the Spear, then Christian used it as a tribute, Bo Dallas AND Kaitlyn were doing it for a while, so I don't think it ever left. I'd say the trouble is finding the right person for it.

Now while Edge did an okay one, I wouldn't think that it particularly suited him. His saving grace is that he's quite tall, so that saves it for me.

I think Big Show's Spear is better than some people rate it. Remember, if Show would "shoot-Spear" and hit his target, the sheer momentum behind it would smash a man's innards, plus you'd have all that meat falling on top of you.

Now, while Reigns isn't as tall as Edge, he's heavier and has great definition (in his arms, at least, since that's all his attire shows). He also delivers it with great speed, making it look truly painful (which it probably is).

#1 would have to go to Goldberg. He's even bigger than Reigns and he's much faster than Show.

I would like to see what your opinion of I am going to give you 8 names of Spear users and I would like you to rank them from best to worst with 8 obviously being worst. You can make a comment justifying your selections if you want

The guys to rank are Roman Reigns, Edge, Rhyno, Goldberg, Batista, Christian, Bobby Lashley and Big Show.

My List
8. Edge (it was a run hug)
7. Christian
6. Big Show (too slow to make it look good)
5. Batista
4. Bobby Lashley
3. Rhyno
2. Roman Reigns
1. Goldberg

I'll start with the reverse order like you posted:
8--Big Show. Really it's more like he falls forward and lets the opponent run into him more then he moves into his opponent. too static and passive to be a true spear.
7--Christian. just doesn't look good and only doing it as a nod to his former partner and hetero lifemate Edge.
6--Batista. is almost too muscular for a spear, and considering his power didn't suit his style. Almost more of a running version of a spinebuster instead of a spear.
5--Roman Reigns. nothing this guy does looks good. his a body type is most like Goldberg's during Goldberg's starting run. Go back and watch Goldberg matches, he shows a lot of power but he wasn't as built around a bodybuilder mold as guys like batista, lesnar, and lashley which gave him far more credibility for potential in ring action then the overly built guys. Reigns reminds me far more of Goldberg then Ryback ever will. Both powerful guys, but not overly large to be comical in appearance, some potential skills but largely over rated due to outside factors(BG was his Streak, and RR is Shield) also similar football backgrounds should make his spear look better, but it falls flat.
4--Lashley. very similar to Batista in moveset, attitude towards the biz, his departure and weak looking version of this particular move making it seem more like a running spinebuster then a spear.
3--Edge. his version is better then some of the posters claim, and his long, lanky body could make it look sweet against a similar sized guy, but lacked the mass to make it effective against larger opponents a la Henry/Show. It looked best when his knees were still straightening to show him driving his body into his opponent and the wrapping of the arms to hold and drive the opponent into the mat was a nice touch.
2/1---Rhyno and Goldberg. Rhyno at his heyday was a solid mass of muscle that seemed to be trying to drive through his opponent's spine when he really nailed the Gore. He was shorter than most of the guys and height wise looked like he would fit with the cruiser's, but his muscle mass for his size was similar to Lashley/Batista. His legs were huge and really made his Gore as they pumped and drive his solid body into his opponent.
Goldberg was a taller, but still not bodybuilder huge guy with a lot of power and the best part of his spear was not the actual impact with his opponent, but his spring up and slash/stomp ala football field tackle before setting up for the Jackhammer. He was a mix of Edge's speed with the larger guys power and really made the move seem like it came right off a football field, unlike many others (Reigns) who look weaker trying to mimic his energy in hitting this move. Can't really pick one over the other as both started around same time and would have similar effect. Maybe a slight edge(no pun) to Rhyno since he used it almost exclusively as a finisher, whereas Goldberg usually used it to set up for the Jackhammer and sometimes for that spin/twist neckbreaker/pin combo he used.

SPECIAL NOTE:
Hacksaw Jim Duggan..... None of these would exist without the famous and powerful Duggan's 3point tackle. The spear was originally a shoulder tackle/flying tackle performed by former football players like Duggan, Ernie Ladd, and others. It was taken to the next level by powerhouses of the late 80's early 90's like Warrior, before landing with the move we now know and love as the spear (shoulder driving to midsection, arms wrapping around in a tackle to follow through and drive opponent into the mat and not just knock them off their feet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back