• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who is the Most Over-Criticized WWE Superstar of All-Time

S.J. Maximus

Championship Contender
This title basically says it all, but to help make it easier I will define what I mean by 'over-criticized' and then give a few examples of stars that I feel are over-criticized in addition to my pick.

Over-criticized - Criticized unfairly, without good reason, or repeatedly by a large group of people (in this case the IWC).

We're all members of the IWC (whether we like to admit it or not) and even in personal conversations with friends we witness people criticize wrestlers for a variety of reasons. Here is your chance to be "the defense" for some unfairly attacked stars and try to fight the critics who unnecessarily or ignorantly bash them.

2 Contenders:

Hulk Hogan - Every article that mentions the Hulkster is plagued by many comments talking about "refusing to job" and "playing in Metallica" and few posters seem to respect his accomplishments. Anyone who denies Hulk's success and never-ending popularity in this business is simply a fool and I think he's the greatest WWE Champion of all-time. I'm not saying everyone should kiss his ass all the time but I think he's a good guy (unlike the critics who call him a selfish asshole) who jobs when the time is right and respects other talented guys like the Rock, Flair, and Shawn Michaels.

John Cena - This guy will probably be the most popular pick in this thread, as almost every IWC member has been endlessly bashing him since 2007. "5 moves of doom" "Super Cena" "he can't wrestle" I can go on for hours but the fact of the matter is John Cena is the biggest wrestling star of the 21st century and one of the biggest draws we have ever seen in this business. I feel any criticism against him is just because he's the top guy and legitimate gripes with Cena are hard to find.

And my pick for the most over-critcized star of all-time.........

TRIPLE H!!!!! - No this is not a game, but it is THE GAME Triple H. He is arguably the best heel in the history of professional wrestling and dominated the title during a time where 2 of the top faces ever (Austin & Rock) were making wrestling a staple in American Pop Culture. He was the villain everyone loved to hate and briefly became the badass face everybody respected in August/September 2000 and the first half of 2002. I think there's no doubt that he's the most successful Attitude star and I can argue he's one of the best to ever lace him. People call him 'overrated' and say he 'slept his way to the top' and 'refused to job'. To all those ignorant critics, Triple H was a 4-time WWE Champion before ever even dated Stephanie! He was the 1997 King of the Ring winner, was that because of Steph too? He was always destined for success, and helped put over Kurt Angle, Randy Orton, John Cena, and Batista to make them credible top guys. I've yet to see a complaint that wasn't completely misguided and random, but maybe some of those critics will read this and prove me wrong.

I know this is a lot to read but you definitely don't have to read it all, just tell me who you think is the most over-critcized WWE Superstar of all-tiime!

I gotta agree, Trips gets bashed way too much. He has jobbed out before, hell he was a damn jobber to the stars after the MSG incident with HBK, Diesel, and Razor. After that, he finally won KOTR and then launched an impressive run after that which included feuding with the Rock as well as being co-leader of DX. Trips has pedigree, but my original premise was that he doesn't seem to job, well guess what he does. He's a company man, especially after he married Stephanie. He started focusing on the business side of things then, not before, and not forever afterwards like it may seem now.

Criticism is a good sign that a superstar is doing something right, since if you look at your list, all 3 of these are or will be legends.

Mr Ultimate Warrior is high on my list, I've spent more time reading criticisms about this man than his career lasted, and I'm very surprised about how much talk is done about him, since I always thought he was more flash in the pan.

Ric Flair is also catching so much Flak, mostly since he shit all over the WMania sendoff WWE gave him, but he's obviously been targetted for years.

But overall, the #1 guy for critcism is Hulk Hogan, when he was retired, you heard more about him than when he's working, most of TNA's buzz for the last couple years has been heavily controversy surrounding Hogan and his personal life, and honestly, Hulk Hogan is wrestling to me growing up as a late 80's kid, so I think he's been the one taking most the crap. Without Hulk Hogan, WWF would of lost more steam before most of today's stars flared up, and WCW would of never had a shot at WWF without signing him.

Definitely I would have to agree with HHH even though Cena popped in my head first. Regardless who he slept with HHH earned his spot, was respected, and didn't leave WWE at its lowest points when WCW was the show to watch. And I never understood why people complain about him jobbing because I remember Shelton Benjamin beating HHH like 3times in a row... CLEAN at that. Now Hogan, who I respect regardless, deserves the flack he gets.

http://youtu.be/HJVjsqv6W9Y

I wouldn't say hogan is the most over criticized, while he is heavily slated by nearly everyone on here, alot of criticism's are valid (roddy piper, refusing to job and he barely beats the great khali in terms of in ring ability) I would have to say cena is the most heavily criticize, he sometimes takes the flake for the departure of the AA for crying out loud.

cena has been getting bashed since 2005 actually. it wasnt that bad but watch vengeance, and then summerslam and so on and so on. just tired of the guy. he might be over criticized but i think triple h gets it the worse just because he married stephanie. if he didnt marry steph then he wouldnt be that big. give me a break. the guy has so many classics with the rock, taker etc. and he is a great in ring performer for wrestling and the specialty matches. as for hogan, i only hear about him being criticized now days because of all the things that he says. he does get kind of annoying but what he did for the wwe was amazing and will never be forgotten.

i gotta agree as well but i also think that hulk does not get OVER criticized if anything people are just now starting to tear this dude apart and can anyone say he doesnt deserve it really? i mean how many dreams does a guy have to step on b4 some one calls this dude out? i mean yeah sure "they" have been doing it for years but not since the hulk/vkm steroid scandal have people put hogan on blast so bad. Also I agree with cena being the most criticized but why? why does everyone truly hate this guy soooo much? he does noting but good things for the company he keeps it relevant. Every one including people like batista and others are ragging on him cause hes PG? you think he has a say in which way his story goes? if he did he would have been given the strap a long fracken time ago but he beefs with huge stars rather than big stars cuz "they" make him. I think everyone has to get thier nikes of this guy's neck a bit.
- Da Masta

I would have to say cena, because all the time you hear people ranting about how his gimmick is stale, he cant wrestle, some even say he sucks on the mic. His gimmick may be stale, but it draws, hes pretty good in the ring(when he doesnt only do the five moves of doom), and hes awesome on the mic. I hear a lot of people critisizing cena even though he doesnt deserve half the crap people give him

I've got three:

1. John Cena
2. John Cena
3. John Cena

I've never seen anything like it. Seems to me if there was one superstar who deserves to be universally appreciated, it's him......for his effort, his work ethic, his commitment to physical fitness, his dedication to his company and fans....even to the way he embraces those who boo him.

So, naturally, he's criticized left and right. A lot of fans detest him for reasons of their own.....but I think far more who dislike him do so because they see other fans disliking him. It's vital for these people to go along with the crowd, even as it's illogical the one they would pick is Cena.

WWE Creative are geniuses for taking this unfortunate negative attitude toward Cena and building it into his act. Many say the company doesn't cater to what the people think? Bullshit! Cena's persona is clear evidence that they do. Don't think it was an accident they created the year-long Cena-Rock feud, culminating in what may have been the most anticipated main event in Wrestlemania history. They knew damn well he was going to be booed in a head-to-head against a super legend, yet he never wavered in his portrayal of Cena the Man.

There are other WWE performers who have been criticized; both fairly and not, but none of it remotely compares to the guy who has received the most by far.....and he's the one who deserves it least.

I mean.....jeez.:confused:

Using the guy you mention:

Hogan: For me, his criticism is just. While I would not begin to argue his success or improtance to the buisness, I can comment on his ego and his inability to put anyone over other then Warrior and Goldberg. You got to give it to the guy though. He is the reason why WCW became #1 and the reason why they fell from the top.

Cena: I do agree that he gets treated unfair and I do believe it has more to do with Vince and the WWE rather then himself. Unlike Hogan, it seems Cena is well respected and liked by all the other wrestlers. His skills in the ring do not translate to his success in the buisness, but he is better then Hogan when it comes to in ring ability. The thing that kills me about him is how sloppy he looks when on the offensive.

Hunter: This one is completely undeserved. This guy is fantastic in the ring, on the mic, has the look and can be both the top heel or face. The last is a trait that many top wrestlers throughout the history of the company cannot claim. Even Austin couldn't pull this off. Trips is and deserves to go down as one of the greatest of all time.

Hogan is criticized just the right amount.

Cena... well my problem with Cena is that he's a company man through and through, a hard worker, a reliable worker, willing to do whatever he is asked, but he's LAZY. Once he steps through those ropes, it's like all the in ring talent he ever had (And he had it, just watch some OVW with the Prototype) just goes *pift* in the face of the sloppy, repeated SOS. And that's why he deserves his criticism.

Trips is as good as they come. I don't know about best in the world, but very good. Undeserving of what he takes

I say it's Cena. It just seems that no matter what those who hate him will always hate him. And please don't give me that well we hate Cena because he can't wrestle. The same folks that boo Cena cheer for the Rock and noone ever accused the Rock of being a great technical wrestler. Heck Cena gets bashed for something that every wrestler has, the 5 moves of doom. Wrestlers like Daniel Bryan and CM Punk also has their 5 moves of doom, but yet they don't get bashed for their 5 moves of doom.

When you say "over-criticized," it depends on your actual intent of the phrase.

When you talk about a superstar who is overly scrutinized when they really shouldn't be that much, I guess it would be Cena. Yes, people who read the dirt sheets and post to internet forums such as this one are sick of Cena. We don't like it when someone is consistently on top of the industry for so long when they're not the most technically sound wrestler or because they have a cheesy character or because they kiss Vince's ass behind the scenes. We don't like a character being shoved in our faces while other "better" wrestlers are kept down. I admit that I'm not much of a Cena fan as a wrestler, but I won't deny that the guy is the face of WWE and rightfully deserves it. He works hard outside of the ring to promote the company. He's granted the most wishes to Make a Wish Foundation kids, which is a very noble cause. He makes appearances everywhere and is great with the kids. Even though he gets booed wherever he goes, he plays off of it and makes it work. I respect him for his work ethic to promote a company that made him a star. So the guy's not a Roman Greco-style wrestling master or a UFC-style multi-disciplined athlete. Pro wrestling is a business, people. You make business decisions so the company can make money and be successful. The days of wrestling being about actual wrestling are long gone. I miss those days, but I understand how the world works. Love him or hate him, Cena has been a very good ambassador for WWE in today's industry and I think he gets overly criticized for not being something that he honestly doesn't need to be.

When you talk about a superstar who is overly criticized for what he has done and maybe deserves some of it, I'd give that one to Trips. He was a great in-ring wrestler, was gold on the mic and had a good gimmick. In the beginning, he took his lumps like everyone else. But, in this industry, a lot of it is in who you know. Trips got buddy buddy with the Cliq, which got him an inroads to fame on the talent side. Then, when you marry the boss' daughter, that could be seen as another inroads to the top. It's not the "correct" way that most people take get to the top of a company, which brings a lot of heat upon Trips from some for supposedly sleeping his way to the top. But I believe he has mainly earned his place because of his work both in the ring and behind the scenes. He's also been heavily criticized for burying younger talent or talent he doesn't like for whatever reason, while pushing his buddies to the top. Not sure how much of that is true, but I'm sure some of it is. However, during his career, he did put over a lot of guys who are big names in the company now. Basically, Triple H knows how to "play the game," and some of his tactics should be criticized, but not to the degree that he gets.

When you talk about a superstar who is overly criticized for what he has done and totally deserves it, I'd have to go with Hogan. While Cena is a current face of pro wrestling, Hogan is recognized as the epitome of the industry. The look, the attitude and the style of the 80s was Hogan. Another guy who was not a technical genius in the ring, but was a marketing genius outside of it and became a household name - hence my nickname for him of Hulk Hogan Inc. In terms of representing pro wrestling, he was the measuring stick for a long time. Of course, the whole steroid scandal brought a level of criticism upon him and the industry that he'll never shake. His very public personal life has gotten him a lot of flack, but he seems to thrive on being in the public eye. So when he screws up, he brings heat upon himself. The belief that he was a backstage bully in his wrestling days who considered himself bigger than the industry itself is what really brought him down a few notches in people's eyes. Lastly, his involvement with Eric Bischoff that aided the fall of WCW and the current direction of TNA have also brought criticism that, in my opinion, is well deserved.

I have to agree with Cena, because as ITrippedTheShockmaster pointed out, over-criticized means to be criticized beyond what you should be. Just being sick of the guy's in-ring persona is really not a very good reason for him to have so many legit haters out there. For a guy that has never done anything even remotely questionable in his personal life, has never been accused of being an egomaniac, never been a control freak, he sure does take a lot of shit from a lot of people. Hell, even his haters acknowledge all the great stuff he does, their complaint is just that they don't like his character, he needs to turn heel, etc. He isn't hated because of backstage issues, because of personality issues, because he screws up with the law, he is hated simply for being John Cena. IE, he is hated for who he is, not what he has done. It's way overblown by fans hating just for the sake of hating.

I think Triple H is overly criticized too, and will defend him against the lame "he slept his way to the top" arguments, but he isn't overly criticized to the extent that Cena is. The Cena hate is ridiculous.

The thing is HHH,Hogan,Cena deserve criticism...

1.HHH- he pushed everyone around and was a massive piece of crap just like HBK and look at it this way he married steph in 03 look how long he held the title for from 2002-05

2.Hogan- he can never go away and is running TNA into the ground. He bullshit's like no other person on the earth and says he never uses creative control... yeah right. 1 example when he came back to wwe in 02 do u think vince wanted him to be wwe champion going over guys like taker and hhh at his age?

3.Cena- Does it need explanation? I mean seriously 5 moves of doom bad in the ring, bad on the mic, Never gets beaten cleanly, never turns heel, bangs on about how he supports Be a star, and all of that, its bullcrap. he pissed me off kept going on about how the rock left for movies when the fact is if cena had the oppurtunity to be as talented as the rock in movies, make a load more money, not work as much and be more famous of course he would leave WWE he is just jealous he can't do it himself. he always comes out and says corny jokes and never takes anything seriously and sits there grinning all the time like a fkin idiot. he always says how he loves the wwe and will never leave it is so repetitive and a load of crap. he is so orquid in the ring aswell all john cena is, is a hulk hogan rip-off who can't even get over as a top face- HE IS BOOED BY ANYONE WHO HAS REACHED PUBERTY!

Easily John Cena.

The main criticisms thrown at Cena are:

Five moves of Doom: Anyone who has actually seen Cena's matches and can count can tell that this criticism is unjust.

Cena can't wrestle: If so, what do you call the thing that he does for a living ? Many legends including HBK and Bret Hart have said that Cena is an excellent wrestler. I tend to believe them more on this topics than a few over-opinionated fans.

He doesn't lose clean: He is the top face. he is not supposed to lose clean. The likes of Hogan and Austin didn't lose cleanly in their primes either. Also, Cena lost to a guy that returned to the ring after 7 years (and will likely lose to another) cleanly. Show me a top draw that has EVER done that in his prime.

Only kids/women love him: There are a considerable of adult males who are Cena fans. And even if all of his fans are kids, why does it matter? A 7-year old kid who has just started watching wrestling and watches only the WWE is as much a fan as a guy who has been watching for 30 years and loves the indies.

John Cena is easily the answer. He eats, sleeps, and breaths pro wrestling. That right there should at least get him respect. Also I think hes underrated in the ring. He not going to carry an average wrestler to a 5 star match but hes not going to drag anyone down either. With the right oppenents Cena has had incredible matches. Hes certainly above average as an in ring performer.

Honorable Mentions:
Shawn Michaels: He jobbed for everyone with a smile on his face during his 02-10 run. Although hard to deal with during his first run the guy does admit wrong and should get some respect for that. And to the small percentage of those who still hold a grudge against him for his 1st run and try to denie how talented he is: get over it, nobody could touch him in the ring.

Triple H: "Hes only in the spot because he married McMahons daughter" This line single handly had me stop going to wrestling message boards for 5 years. Hes one of the best storytellers ever and a throwback to old school wrestling. Hes in the spot because the guy can flat out work.

Hogan is the most over-criticized wrestler but most of the criticism he deserves.
John Cena is the most over-criticized who doesn't deserve it. I think WWE milks the Cena-hate angle and not as many people really hate Cena as you would be lead to believe. And Triple H is, in my opinion, under-criticized. Don't get me wrong, he is criticized a lot. But not enough. There are WAY too many posters here who think this guy is one of the all time best due to how well he was able to stay on TV for the past 15 years. What wrestler has gotten as much exposure on a weekly TV program and at as many PPVs without being a McMahon? Jerry Lawler as commentator? Hogan, Michaels, Savage, Flair nope..nobody in the history of wrestling has had so much exposure or backstage pull than this limelight hog. Some poster here said something about Triple H winning titles before Stephanie. Lets get this right. Triple H was not a 4 time WORLD champ before he started dating Stephanie. The guy was put in an angle with Stephanie right around the time of his first world title victory. Just because he wasn't officially dating her does not mean there wasn't something going on behind the scenes and there was. That doesn't mean he won his first title or two because of her, I'm sure he would have won one or two with such lousy competition in WWE at the time. But, whose to say WWE didn't make Triple H champ because he was such a big ass kisser. Whose to say Triple H didn't win his first title because Stephanie begged daddy because they had something going on and so that Triple H would stick with her. I mean you fans look past the fact that he was cheating on Chyna with Stephanie before he and Stephanie were ever officially an item for the world to know about. Sure he was the King of the Ring and an IC champ and a one time world champ before him and Stephanie were officially a couple. I mean I did a lot of stuff with my current girlfriend before we were ever officially an item or a couple. You don't just start off dating the moment you bang. Sometimes you meet your future wife when you're with someone else! It happens. But some of you guys don't understand that when you go to defend his first world title reign. Probably because some of you lack any real girlfriend experience. Anyway, as far as his IC title is concerned that was won off Owen Hart and McMahon was making an example of the Harts after Bret left. Triple H was the one behind the idea of the screwjob in Montreal according to Shawn and Triple H was basically rewarded because of all the heat he and Shawn generated for screwing over Bret Hart. Triple H didn't need Stephanie to book him that title win, he booked that himself by being a piece of shit human being. But oh yes he was King of the Ring. But I believe Mabel was also a King of the Ring and he didn't have to sleep with Stephanie. Triple H had a lot more potential than Mabel but if Mabel was more Stephanie's type who knows where Triple H would be today. No joke. Hacksaw and Haku were both kings of the ring. Being King of the Ring doesn't really mean squat unless you have Macho Man or Booker T-like charisma to make it work. Triple H was the snobby Hunter Hearst Helmsely and it made perfect sense with his phony accent and douchebag character to make him the 'king' of the ring. It had really nothing to do with anything besides the fact WWE didn't have a whole lot of talented guys around in 1997 besides Rock, Austin, Foley, Taker and Michaels. They weren't guys who needed to win the second rate king title. Those guys would need to be 'king' as bad as Paul Wight needs to be the IC champ right now.

Triple H is the biggest piece of shit in the history of wrestling. He is Hulk Hogan 2.0 the only difference being that Triple H has been better at staying on the good side of those with the connections. Everyone has to bow down to him to keep their job. You piss Trips off, you get fired, let go or suspended. Triple H is the boss. Even best buddy and Mr Wrestlemania Shawn Michaels has to watch himself around him. You can hate on Hogan all you want for all the 'games' he played with other wrestler's careers, but at least Hogan never had the chance to directly align himself to the McMahon family by marrying in and dictating two decades of wrestling entertainment. I just can't get how so many people here look past this fact like it has no bearing on his so-called 'greatness.' Triple H is no slouch on the mic, he can put on a great match if the other guy he's matched with is any good and he can generate great heat. But this crap about him being the best of the Attitude Era and maybe the best of all is embarrassing drivel. Only someone who lost touch with reality would say such a thing. Triple H was always a distant #3 to The Rock and Stone Cold. No matter how many forced world titles he won, he doesn't have what Rock and Stone Cold have. In fact, he doesn't even have what Cena has. Rock, Stone Cold, Hogan, Cena, Savage, Michaels, Flair, Piper, Hitman, Angle, Taker, Sting..these guys are a league above Trips. Had Jake Roberts had the career push and lifetime position in the main event, had Ted Dibiase Sr., had Rick Rude or Curt Henning, they would have all pulled it off better than this guy. Triple H should have always been a middle card heel with no more than 2 or 3 world titles. To put it into perspective, Jeff Jarrett is basically Triple H lite. Had Triple H been caught screwing Princess over, he'd be banned from WWE for life, erased from WWE video like Benoit, would never be invited into the HOF..he'd have to start up his own company or go to TNA and hook up with Dixie to have a career.

I must apologize though to the younger generation of WWE marks who can't even fathom what I'm saying. A lot of you became obsessed with the product during the last decade of recession. WWF turned into WWE after essentially monopolizing the industry by putting their competition out of business. The best ever wrestlers of the 80s and 90s, who were the ones to make wrestling an 'American staple', mostly retired or had short stints in WWE. Stone Cold and The Rock left pretty soon after and WWE was left building up the mid card WCW guys and new guys since the generation of main eventers of the past 20 years had all left at the same time. This left Triple H and Shawn, the cliq, hand picking the next generation of butt kissing, ladder climbing superstars. To make it and stay at the top, wrestlers had to now best emulate Triple H to be the best. It had very little to do with crowd reaction or charisma or anything anybody really wanted to see. It came down to how well you can stay on Triple H's good side and how well you responded to being buried once you started getting enough momentum to be on or above Triple H's level. Cena lasted because he towed the line. Jericho has to leave every few years. The other guys died. Orton or Shamus became Triple H's travel buddies. Batista was lowest on the totem pole of the new cliq and he left. Shawn put on the best matches of his career in the 2000s but his main event status he had in the 90s never came back in the 2000s cause Triple H wouldn't let it. He would claim it'd be bad for business, when really it was just bad for his career to be overshadowed. But Shawn towed the Triple H line and did it his way. Hardy, two fuckups he's gone and a douche but i'm sure Trips best bud Orton's had at least three or four. Kurt Angle took the classier way out but I'm sure he had massive problems with Triple H. I bet Stone Cold himself has a problem with him. He and Rock left probably because they realized the Stephanie McMahon-led booking team has been instructed to do whatever above anything else to build Triple H's legacy. They were rich and big enough to move on to better things without saying a word about it so they could come back if they needed to. Guys like RVD though, they weren't big enough. They came out and went on record about Triple H and look what happened to them. Even Triple H's buddies Road Dog and Billy Gunn hated the guy. Look what Triple H did to the legacy of Bret the Hitman Hart by suggesting to Vince McMahon to make a fool out of him 'for business.'

The guys that made it big in the 2000s: Jericho, Benoit, Mysterio, Edge, Guerrero, Orton, Cena, Hardy..these guys were all good but not like the guys who came before. This is all that you younger adults know, you were kids who valued the last decade of under average wrestling entertainment because you were too young to fully appreciate the 1980s and 1990s during the 1980s and 1990s. So, of course, Triple H is one of your heroes like Hogan or Savage or Hitman are mine. But it's guys like Triple H being forced on my generation that led to a lot of us 25+ changing the channel and never coming back. I tune in from time to time but Triple H to me is like as big a deal as when Kevin Nash comes back. Yawn.. Triple H represents what happened to wrestling when it went down the toilet. McMahon buys WCW and gets rid of it. WCW was the best thing that ever happened to wrestling because it made for competition and it was the best era ever. McMahon wipes it out. Triple H, being the corporate ladder climbing leetch he is, sees an 'in' and becomes family so he can get his hands on the wealth and build the biggest of all wrestling legacies with the least amount of talent or potential of any wrestling great. Triple H as a wrestler has always been to me the John Laurinitis of wrestling GMs, the Michael Cole of commentators, the Duane Gill of jobbers, the Ashton Kutcher of television actors, the Tim Tebow of football players, the Jimmy Fallon of comedy, the Nickelback of music. When WCW went with Jeff Jarrett as world champ and star of Nitro after years of Hogan, people stopped tuning in because Jarrett wasn't even remotely close to having 'it.' Like Jarrett, Triple H had something but it wasn't what the real big name guys like Rock or Austin had. He was a complement to them as a heel but without them wasn't really anything more than forcefed. I mean WWE would not have been as successful today had The Million Dollar Man married into the family in the late 1980s. Dibiase meant something in his angle with Savage and Hogan, like Trips did with Stone Cold and Rock, but after it was over Dibiase was nothing more than a mid card heel who I thought could have been a bit bigger than he was. I know some of you are shaking your heads because you just can't fathom Triple H as a mid carder of can't understand me trashing one of your favourite ever wrestlers. But Triple H was never that good. He can be 'one of the best' to the 2.9 rating of fans who never stopped watching. But for that other 2.2 of 5.1 or 4.9 that watched WWE RAW or WCW Nitro back in the late 90s, Triple H represents everything that made us stop watching. The guy wouldn't have cut it in WCW during its hey day as a top heel. He would have been in a feud with a guy like Glacier during the Hogan/Sting feud. After his first few title wins, Triple H could have ended up as a tag team guy jobbing to the Hardys in the early 2000s had he not climbed the ladder of success so well by backstage politiking and kissing McMahon ass.

Anyway, yeah, for me no criticism of Triple H can be over-critical unless every fan on here was as hateful toward him as me. There would be a lot more Triple H bashing on these forums if half the wrestling audience of 10 years ago was still immature and unimaginative enough to have watched the dull as fuck PG product of the past 7 or 8 years and had enough time or patience to come on here and give their 2 cents.

John Cena. It seems people on here criticize him because his gimmick isnt "cool", however, you cant deny he is the biggest post late 90s star, period. Plus, you never hear stories about Cena throwing backstage tirades (Steiner), no wellness policy violations (Orton), never refusing to lose or lose cleanly when asked (HBK, Hogan, Austin), never in trouble with the law (Hardy, Angle, Austin, RVD) & the guy is practically a saint with The Make A Wish Foundation. He works a full time schedule, loses w/out complaints, charity work, He is probably the best reprentation of the WWE all time.

Ive posted before I think HHH is unfairly criticized, he has lost feuds and big matches and while some of that may have been to his "friends" (Flair, Taker, HBK) he also put over and helped make Orton, Batista stars and elevated Cena as well.

People criticize Flair because he works for TNA, as if WWE was begging him to come back and he lied to them and left. The guy has a right to earn a living, and he hasnt wrestled much, in two years he's had maybe 4 legit, hyped actual matches, most of the time he has been a manager or mouthpiece. What is really unfair is none of these people were posting vitrol towards HBK with all the rumors he was going to *+#¥can his retirement for a match vs HHH at next year's Wrestlemania, just like no one complained Flair was disrespecting his send off when he returned to WWE to manage Batista or feud w/ Jericho to promote WM25.

I dont think Hogan's accomplishments are diminished here, he does draw critics but its basically just people posting versions of stuff this news site & various books, biographies, & investigative pieces on the industry have been saying for years. Did Hogan abuse creative control in WCW ? Most people would say "yes" - even there I blame Bischoff more than Hogan, Vince would not have allowed the situation to get to where it did.

As for Ultimate Warrior, its the same thing as with Hogan, posters re hashing what everyone and their mother says about the guy. People in the industry praise Cena, rarely does anyone in the know accuse or report HHH purposely held someone back to protect his character, even Hogan's harshest critics admitt how much he helped grow the industry, no one, historians, fellow wrestlers, no one ever defends Warrior. If he is criticized it must be warranted.

One guy who seems to walk on water on this board and should get more criticized is Austin. Once he hit it big as Stone Cold he was by reports every bit as protective and hard to work with as Hogan. Even this year there were reports he wouldnt participate in WM because he didnt want a "supporting role in Rock's show". There were plenty of stories RE Austin refusing to job, such as the famous skit when he threw the title belt in the river (thus forfeiting) or the whole Brock Lesnar incident. At times Vince tolerated it but eventually Vince grew tired, called his bluff & let him go. If Hogan (and I am not a Hogan fan as anyone familiar w/ my other posts knows) draws the ire of the IWC for being too selfish & hard to work with shouldnt Austin get the same treatment ?

Most wrongly criticized is Cena however, hard working, well behaved, company guy who gets seemingly ripped on these boards w/out reason.

One guy who seems to walk on water on this board and should get more criticized is Austin. Once he hit it big as Stone Cold he was by reports every bit as protective and hard to work with as Hogan. Even this year there were reports he wouldnt participate in WM because he didnt want a "supporting role in Rock's show". There were plenty of stories RE Austin refusing to job, such as the famous skit when he threw the title belt in the river (thus forfeiting) or the whole Brock Lesnar incident. At times Vince tolerated it but eventually Vince grew tired, called his bluff & let him go. If Hogan (and I am not a Hogan fan as anyone familiar w/ my other posts knows) draws the ire of the IWC for being too selfish & hard to work with shouldnt Austin get the same treatment ?

Austin refused to job the IC title when he threw it off the bridge? I always figured they didnt want they're number one contender who was going over at WM for the world title losing the IC title. Is this fact?

I do get what your saying but ill defend Austin here a little. He didnt want to job in an unhyped match against Brock on RAW....not that he wouldnt have jobbed. I get what he was saying. Austin/Brock should have been hyped and probably should have been on PPV. I think he was proctecting his image with just cause here.

I dont know, I guess he refuses to job. IIRC, he also refused to job to HHH at summerslam 99, hence Mick joining the match, winning, and dropping it to HHH the next night.

I like the OP's overall tone and intention of this thread, it's an interesting subject to talk about. And he’s inviting solid discussion and actually making his opinions sound like opinions. In that he’s presenting a solid stance as to why he has those opinions. However, what I can't get enough of are the posting of a bunch of over-opinionated armchair experts who like passing their opinions off as facts/certainties. Gag me! I am going to run down the three picks that the OP mentioned and justify why whatever people think they "know" about these people from "dirt sheets", tell-all books and DVD retrospectives don't mean a thing in justifying one’s criticisms of the aforementioned. However, to answer the actual question, it's al subjective. But anyone let me start my tirade...

Cena - I personally don't like the character, just not sold on what he does. I was glad to see The Rock win at WrestleMania 28. In spite of my personal feelings towards his character, the guy's a workhorse. I could care less what a bunch of out of shape sad sacks that troll the internet forums think, Cena is doing something right and he has something special. And this is coming from a guy that can't stand the "Hustle, Loyalty and Respect" shtick. However, I grew up in the Hulkamania era and I ate that whole act up since I was in the right age group to do so. Had I been a 30 year old back in 1985, I'd probably not have been a Hogan fan at all, or if I were a kid today, I'd probably be a Cena fan.

Bottom line, this the guy has something unique whether you like him or not, and he's a fixture in the business for better or worse. If you don't think he can hang in a wrestling match, just watch HBK-Cena II from an edition of RAW on April of 2007, a hell of a performance. I'll even say that their WrestleMania 23 match prior to that is easily one of the best WM main events of the 2000s.

Hogan - Yeah, I'm coming into this with a bias, but you know what? I freely admit it. And even as a fan I have SEVERAL criticisms of Hulk Hogan.

My chief complaints were in the later 80s, when Hogan started doing films. I was not a fan of seeing my favorite wrestler at the time not wrestle on TV. It was disappointing to see him doing these side projects. Even though we laugh at the nonsense that Hogan's foray into films was (Let’s be honest WWE Studios’ ventures aren’t any better, and even WWE is acknowledging Hogan’s contributions into wrestlers crossing over into mainstream film by releasing No Holds Barred on DVD. Despite my personal dislike of this facet of Hogan’s career the influence of it and success is shown today.), at the time there must have been some financial gain that he was receiving from doing these crossover ventures. However, I thought we lost out a bit on not seeing Hogan stick to his day job. I would have also liked to see Randy Savage some pinfall victories over Hogan. I really thought the opportunity for Macho Man would come in WCW but like the WWF more of the same continued. Granted, I am not too ungrateful because Macho Man's DQ and count out wins over Hogan were actually built up to mean something, considering Hogan's invincible aura for all those years. This scenario reminded me very much of what the Rock and Austin feud was like for so many years, granted The Rock did finally pin Austin at WrestleMania XIX but that was a very lopsided feud to be sure. But like Macho Man, The Rock's career was not sabotaged because he hadn't been able to get all these pinfall wins over Austin. In some ways, I didn't like seeing the WrestleMania IX impromptu title victory over Yokozuna, because I was really behind Bret Hart's recent push. However, if this was a vanity title win like people made it out to be, I think Hogan would have won the title in an actual match, because the actual booking of this scenario did not make Hogan look like his indestructible self.

Had Hogan truly had an agenda like so many people thought, I think he would have won the title well before WrestleMania and actually been advertised to compete for it again. In my view, Vince McMahon wanted to throw a curveball at the PPV audience and to be honest, I can appreciate that in some ways because it's not like today, where you have an epic return like Brock Lesnar saved for the night after RAW instead of at WrestleMania like it should have been done.

Triple H - I saved the best one for last because the amount of nonsense I hear from people on this particular guy is the best. So yeah, we know this guy is married into the family, and I am sure he's very grateful to have that distinction. However at the same time, I can't overly criticize a guy who's a beast like Triple H. Say all you want about how this guy has the benefit of being Vinnie Mac's son in law but how many people can you recall off the top of your head that can finish a wrestling match and risk their entire career by doing so, when pulling the muscle off the bone of their leg? Exactly, I bet most of the morons writing their vitriol on this thread about guys like Hogan, Triple H and Cena probably cry like babies when they stub their toe or pull a muscle just getting out of bed in the morning because they’re sadly out of shape, and even thinking of exercise is enough to tire out and hurt them.

Triple H has proven his worthiness of where he's at in the business despite his high position in the company, and the fact that he's a family member of the McMahons. The guy hasn't been a serious contender for the World Title or worn it in almost three years. I will admit, him beating CM Punk at Night Of Champions wasn't the best move in my opinion. But at the same time, the CM Punk character in my opinion is not what I think he could be, however his career is not for the worse, he's still the WWE Champion last I heard. While I think this scenario could have been booked a lot better, CM Punk isn't standing in the line of a soup kitchen. Meaning that he is still a contracted performer for WWE and one of their top guys, I’d say he’s not doing so bad now, is he? Also, even though he’s friends with guys like Batista and Orton (or so it’s said) he gave these two a hell of a shot in the storylines by forming Evolution, and their careers were all the better having worked with and defeated Triple H on several occasions. But again, many of the armchair experts love to overlook, downplay or just disregard such notions.

Triple H is a sure fire performer, and a specimen, I would kill to have a fraction of the fraction of fortitude and ability that he has. If I had, I'd be pretty happy because Triple H is a unique individual, make no mistake about it. I'm sure his ego has played into the factor of certain outcomes in the business but like Hogan, he's jobbed to the right people when it matters. And certain characters like Hogan, Triple H and yes John Cena can't just be jobbed out to anybody, because if they are...beating them means less. At least that's how I see it.

Bottom line is this, I can understand criticizing these performers based on their characters and what not. But to read the idiocy from a lot of people on this thread is so laughable. I mean c’mon now, do people actually buy the amount of rumors and nonsense that permeate the Internet? I mean hello, we’re talking about an artform that’s based in severing the lines of reality and fantasy. C’mon now! So much of this stuff is more likely than not manufactured by the wrestling business just to get fans like us to talk about it. Plus the wrestling business thrives on still having control of their audience’s beliefs, and with the way reality TV is a blight on the landscape of entertainment, wrestling has found a way to create what I believe is a modern form of kayfabe by allowing us to think that because insider terms like “booked”, “jobber”, “heel” and yes even “kayfabe” itself have been acknowledged by WWE, that we all of a sudden know what really goes on behind the curtain. Again, like I said in the opening paragraph, gag me. Wrestling is still a work, and even though I’m not a fan of how it’s worked today, I’m not going to let myself be fooled so easily, unlike so many others often do.

So for people to base their criticisms on such things are ridiculous. And then of course the falls from grace like Hogan’s had, I mean granted the guy did mention something about “understanding what OJ did” (in reference to Hogan’s martial problems at the time) but Jesse Jackson talked about having Barack Obama needing to have his testicles removed. Hulk Hogan is a mere entertainer while Jesse Jackson is supposed to be an important figure in society and a Presidential candidate at one time. Obviously, the man wants to present himself as a respectable figure, while Hogan despite my love for wrestling is in all seriousness in a profession that’s not supposed to be taken too too seriously.

I just can’t understand the necessity that wrestling fans put on these performers when it should be well known that some of the most disappointing forms of conduct on the part of individuals happens very often in the world of show business. What Hogan has said in the past like the comment about his wife is very questionable and ridiculous but unless he actually decides to act on it, they are just words and considering that Hulk Hogan is not in the business of running any part of our government, I really could give a crap what he has said in the past.

Some of the most fervent Hogan haters will find some way to rationalize that guys like Chris Benoit and The Dynamite Kid are better human beings than Hulk Hogan, despite the fact that the former murdered his family and offed himself, and the latter (his idol ironically enough) admitted on national TV that he used to abuse his wife with a shotgun, unloaded mind you but still a rather sociopathic act if there ever was one.

Again, it’s not my intention to control how people should base their criticisms of figures in the wrestling business. But I don’t feel it’s out of place to question the rationale as to why they make certain criticisms, I mean individuals like Bret Hart and The Undertaker (the former who admitted infidelity according to his autobiography, again it could be glorified kayfabe on Bret’s part but who knows) have had multiple marriages. However, one can wonder what has led this men to not being able to maintain a marriage and stay with the same woman. But that doesn’t change them being two of my favorite wrestlers. Ric Flair as revealed by ESPN is financially delinquent, and that same organization has also revealed that Scott Hall has totaled 8 Cadillacs in his lifetime because of his substance abuse.

I guess what I am trying to establish here (which I understand is probably taking longer than it should but oh well) is that I myself can only rationalize criticism in the form of what I see on camera with these individuals. So yes I can understand the dislike of Hulk Hogan over resting on his laurels at times, and always coming out on top. I can understand how people tire of the whole SuperCena thing, and how Triple H won the title once too often. But considering that there are probably more factors at play as to why these things happen in the business, I am not going to base my arguments in regards to disliking these facets of the wrestling business based on the ridiculous bullcrap I read on dirt sheets. Call me a smug jerk like many of you often do, but I prefer to not believe all the ridiculousness I read and hear about.

In closing, I do believe these individuals are indeed over criticized and that criticism should be based more on what’s seen on camera, instead of many of us playing the role of “holier than thou” types. Especially when any of us that are over 18 should know damn better than the world of professional wrestling is nowhere near being a sainthood.

I have to go with John Cena. It just seems like the more good he does the more he gets bashed. I am not a Cena fan by any means, but every move he makes gets slammed. I am wondering how he will get bashed for actually being on the losing end more often than not now. In 3 weeks he has lost to The Rock, got the F5, and lost to Lord Tensai. Everyone wanted him to lose once in a while, and now that he has you watch if he doesn't get bashed some how. I was a big time hater of Cena, but as of late has been growing on me a bit. He needed to freshen up his character some, but he actually isn't really that bad.

Sir Jose Ole: I think you try to be objective and see the positive in these over criticized wrestlers and that's a good thing. There needs to be more posters like you. I know you've met some of these guys before and you feel like you can relate with them regardless if they've fucked up in their personal lives. I like that about you man, there needs to be more posters like you standing up for certain over criticized wrestlers. It's too easy to always be coming on these forums and bashing whoever just for the sake of bashing. It devalues wrestling for the reader and creates a negative culture to always be hating. I've seen you come to the defense of these guys like Hogan, Hitman and Triple H on other posts and whether I agree or disagree with you, I respect that you don't always try to take the popular stance. Your position is your own and you argue it well. I'm like you in a way, I dislike hearing Hogan or Hart or Cena bashing because look at what they've done for wrestling. Fans of wrestling should really look past some of the petty differences they have about these people and their backstage antics or life choices. It's important to separate what is done outside of wrestling with what has been done in wrestling. And we don't always know for sure what we hear is true and many of us jump all over any little negative thing we hear and hold on to it stubbornly as if it's complete truth our whole lives when it comes to arguing something about someone.

You are so right that it's easy for us to say what we say as armchair critics. I am guilty more than most when it comes to criticizing. But lately I save all my hate for Triple H because the evidence of what he has done to stand in the way of other wrestlers career development is overwhelming. It is with Hogan too but Hogan made wrestling what it is and without him pushing himself to the moon, wrestling just wouldn't be the same. I've watched Triple H do the same thing but it has not made wrestling as good as it could be. It's only served to boost Mr. Levesque's legacy. I get what you're saying about what we all think we know from what we all read online..stuff you think could very well be one big 'work'. But there is overwhelming evidence from those in the industry who have been there who've come out of it with a good handle on what happened. If their career was likely over or their chances of coming back to WWE weren't good, then most of the time they came out stating or alluding to the fact that Triple H BURIED them. I don't think it's a work when so many ex WWE guys come out saying the same thing and then never end up back in WWE.

I have a massive problem with Triple H and yes it's because of every single piece of evidence I've collected in my 15 years of sifting through pro wrestling news and trying to make sense of it. You can't just ignore some evidence you don't agree with and highlight other evidence you agree with. You have to put it altogether, discount the stuff that doesn't add up and try to separate fact from fiction. From what I've read between the lines, from what I heard in the Hitman/Michaels documentary about the Montreal Screwjob, from what i've read here for over a decade by reputable journalists here about Triple H, from what i've heard from the countless wrestlers who were let go by WWE, to what I see with my very eyes with Triple H's never ending push. All this stuff is enough for me. It's not just a simple rumour blown out of proportion. It's not just an exaggeration that he has power because of the family he married into it. Anybody with real life experience knows that anyone who marries into power gets a crazy amount of power that mostly never deserved. I know we don't really 'know' these athletes and can't say for sure what we read because the media can easily manipulate us. Wrestling is all a work, sure, but what's real is not a work. Triple H is 'really' married to Stephanie McMahon. Triple H 'really' came up with the idea to screw over Bret Hart. Triple H 'really' won 11 world titles too many while more deserving stars and headliners like Jericho and Michaels had to settle for far less. Triple H 'really' called the shots when it came to the careers of his most threatening peers. Triple H's wife 'really' was the head of the booking team. Triple H 'really' is the guy who will take over for Vince McMahon some day.

So you don't want to buy what you hear because it's all part of the work, but I do remember you having some critical things to say about Russo and Bischoff. All I hear about on these forums is how Russo kills everything he touches and how Bischoff is a one trick pony. But do we really know this for sure? Under your reasoning, we don't really know this because these guys are mostly background guys that we only hear about through rumours and dirt sheets. It's not stuff we can really know, it's just stuff we can speculate about. I know you're a big fan of Mark Madden. But is Madden really right about most things like you seem to think he is based on what you've read on dirt sheets? How can you believe an armchair journalist like Mark Madden who hasn't really had anything to do with the wrestling business besides writing Ric Flair's autobiography and his short stint in WCW when it was on the verge of collapse? Madden has never had anything to do with WWE so how can you trust his insight about the product? Madden really isn't any more 'in the know' than say Bastion Booger. If anything, it's guys like Madden who try to destroy the legacy of guys he doesn't like, Hogan or DDP. He doesn't like them simply because they were not nice about him. That's not really objective, but a lot of us eat up his negativity and believe it to be true. It's Madden above anyone else who starts rumours, who provides direction for those doing the dirt sheets. He makes a career sitting around typing up columns trying to negate everything a guy like Hogan has done his entire career. If anything, it's guys like Madden (not posters on here who hate Triple H) who are mislead and most damaging to the business.

Just my 2 pence, but I think the Cena hate comes from attitude era bandwagon jumpers who were butt hurt when it was all over and they had to have a kid friendly show and champion like back in the mid 90s. I've never had a problem with Cena as I remember before the AE and know how the business works. People come on board when they see beer drinking and transvestite jokes and then can't believe it when the business changes back to the way it was for decades.

Every single piece of anti Cena rhetoric I've ever seen is laughable, as its only nobodys who ever spew it. There are legions of wrestling veterans who sing his praises daily, because Cena is the man, and when you're the man there's gonna be a lot of sad little boys who want to pull you down.

I don't think I've ever heard 2 people more criticized in the WWE than John Cena and Triple H and in both cases I feel its completely undeserved and unwarranted.

John Cena has been getting hate since the day he became the top guy in WWE, ironic since before he was the top guy everybody wanted him to become the top guy, but when it happened people turned their backs on him quickly. I understand some of the hate but in all fairness who is a better option as their top guy than John Cena since 2005? The guy is popular, has charisma, can ACTUALLY wrestle (despite what a lot of people think) and works harder than anyone, anyone with half a brain can see why he is the top guy and its completely deserved. Sure he ain't no Rock, Austin or Hogan but at this current time he's the perfect poster child for the WWE and until someone shows up who does it better he should be the top guy. CM Punk is slowly getting there but he isn't there yet and I don't know if he ever will be, even as talented as Punk is, he lacks some of the intangible qualities Cena has.

All of Triple H's hate stems from the simple fact he's married to Stephanie McMahon, if he wasn't married to the bosses daughter this hate wouldn't exist. Some people say that he uses his stroke to stay on top and hold others down but in all fairness with all the people he happily put over how could anyone say that? Lets count them off:

1) Batista
2) John Cena
3) Randy Orton
4) Chris Benoit
5) Legacy (Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes. TED DIBIASE FOR CHRIST SAKES)
6) Shelton Benjamin

So pretty much everyone he had to put over in the last 8 years he has done so, even guys like Benjamin who didn't deserve to go over HHH put them over. So what if he's 13 time champion? Its the day and age we live in, Orton, Edge, Triple H and Cena are all in the double digits when it comes to world titles won, does it really matter if one of them gets to 17? I certainly don't think so.

I find it hilarious that he gets so much shit for leveraging himself and friends on top when truthfully he was doing that a lot more before he was married to Steph. People bitched that Sheamus was a bad idea to go on top, that he only got there because of being Triple H's workout buddy. Well all I got to say is from what I see today Sheamus was a GREAT pick to be pushed to the main event. He's getting more popular by the day, has become a solid in ring worker and is unique. Say what you will how he got there but its hard to argue that he didn't deserve it because he did. Maybe Triple H is doing what he feels is best for business and not what serves him and his ego best and maybe there is no reason to hate Triple H at all.

It just goes to show that your smart fan hates everyone on top. When they're on the rise they love these guys, when they finally make it to the top they turn their backs on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back