Is the Iron Man Match John Cena's big chance?

Anyone else think that maybe Cena may finally be taking some time off? Small possibility maybe? Movie or whatnot? I know he has had injury timeouts in the past, but mayeb this is a way to give him a break? Certainly I don't want hi mto move back to Smackdown and screw up what they have going on there.

I hate Cena. I will admit i. But it is only because the E has forced him down our throats. However, I have accepted he is here for a long time to come.

In answer to the thread title, I don't think this is hi big chance. He doesn't need one. The is a 5 move monster. Period. Any iron man match is 10 minutes of intensity and 50 minutes of filler. The No DQ answers the question before it starts.

In the end, you will see 5 shoulder blocks, 1, maybe 2 fist drops, at least 4 attempted Attitude Adjustments, at least 3 STFU attempts and 2 spinning back drop to powerbombs.

I just went back and watched that Cena/HBK match from London a couple years back in it's entirety and I have to say John Cena put on a hell of a match. Granted, he had Micheals to help pull him through, but in no means was Cena a slouch. I re-watched the match with an objectionable mind, but the match was played out beautifully. All the "Cena Haters" have to stop with bombing this guy, his work ethic is incredible... that match is right up there with HBK/Hart as far as I'm concerned. I sure as hell remember that match not being a "barn burner" throughout.

With that being said, I believe that Cena/Orton if given the proper parameters could easily pull off a good/but not necessarily great iron man match. We all know that this not going to be a technically sound match, with no dq's and countouts and whatever other stipulation they throw in there, this is just a glorified anything goes match.

Come to think of it, if given an hour in match between these two. I have to be concerned for Orton, this is a true test for him. But I have to agree with others, and say that Orton definitely has to go over here. I can really go either way I guess... Smackdown could use Cena.

Nothing will change after this match. No matter what the match is like, people will only focus on the outcome. Even if Cena puts on a clinic, it'll just come down to "CZENA IS CHAMP AGEN WTF?!" or "LMAO, CZENA LEEVIN RAW!".
If you try to confront the smarks about Cena putting on a good show, they'll probably just say they got bored and stopped watching. Funny, considering smarks go on about how they watch 60 minutes matches all the time.

It'll be a good match, but it won't change anyone's opinions. It's about 3 years too late to change opinions on Cena. But HHH vs The Rock was overbooked to hell, so Cena vs Orton will be better.

Reality is that it won't change a thing for Cena Haters, they will see the same flaws on him as the ever did.

Truth be told I am not a Cena fan, but say he lacks of wrestling ability is actually lame, anyone that has done a little research or watched him when he started knows he can wrestle and has more than 5 moves, that he actually never shows more is another issue, but the guy definetly can wrestle and put on a good match.

This match since it is a no dq will be kind of a hardcore match I think than a technical one.

The opinions for either man will not get better but if the match gets tiresome or lack of emotion they will definetly get worse.

I don't think people's opinion of John Cena will change following this match, well actually if it's not good then the haters will hate him all the more. The thing is, Cena has had good matches with the likes of HHH, Michaels and even his Summerslam main event with Orton a few years back and people didn't stop bashing him then, so chances are it wont stop after Bragging Rights.

Unfortunately for Cena, when he does put on a good show (which he does do) some people tend to base it on the quality of his opponent and say "X carried Cena through the match...", meaning Cena rarely silences his critics.

Fotunately, however the upcoming 60 minute iron man match is NO-DQ which means Orton and Cena will most likely not actually be wrestling for a full hour, which will allow any limitations they may have to be hidden somewhat. No-DQ will allow for the use of weapons and run-ins from Legacy which will kill some of the time. Overall, I don't think the match will change people's opinion of John Cena...

God I hope Orton and Cena put on a good match just to shut the smarks up, face it neither of these two will ever get stubborn peoples minds to change so why waste your time it's going to suck right ? So don't watch it simple don't come on here and whine just don't watch it.

Sidious is right so far all year it's been Orton vs. Cena vs. Triple H the WWE can't expect this to last forever and to remain successful I'm stunned it's mildly working even now. Vince knows we will never leave so why change what's ultimately working for him, TNA sucks so there's no competition hell if Vince wants Hornswaggle to tadpole splash Orton and beat him clean nothing bad will happen to him.

Well, people's attention spans are getting shorter and shorter every year (Its been documented or argued a few times). It would be hard for even the best wrestlers out there to keep the fans interest for 60 minutes...hell AJ vs Daniels 30 minute match was kind of pushing it IMO. And sure, 'so and so' may have had a great match a few years back, but that doesen't mean it will work now. As for Cena, personally I just can't stand watching him perform. I used to like him as a heel, but since he's gone to the main event his matches and promos are boring, he doesn't sell/is booked to be invincible (whichever you prefer to believe), and hasn't had even the slightest character development. Even if he pulled out the best match in history at Bragging Rights, I would still find him boring on RAW if he went back to the same old routine.

Oh, and sure there were lots of restholds in the Michaels/Bret Ironman match...the fans aren't capable of screaming with energy for 60 minutes straight. The masters know how to work the fans up, let them settle back down, and bring them back in again, escalating the intensity of the up's and downs as the match goes. Look at any old Benoit match...it would usually start slow, but the intensity would increase as it went. Bret and Shawn did that masterfully throughout the match, and managed to tell a good story that led to a massive pop at the end, and one of the most remembered matches and finishes in WWE history.

Before I start, as I've said before, I respect Cena and think he's capable of putting on great matches and has before. However, I still don't like him but that's only because he can't sell for shit (the gauntlet match with the Cell on Raw for example) and his character is so stale you could crumble it over a salad.

Now then, as far as this being his "big chance" to show his wrestling ability, I don't think so. It's no DQ, so Cena doesn't really have to wrestle the whole time; in fact, I'm sure this match will be more of a street fight with a time limit.

This match has the potential to be awesome and to be complete crap. Cena and Orton work well together, but I was disappointed by their I Quit and HIAC matches. I hope this match can deliver because it really could be something special.

The real question is who will win here. Orton just got title from Cena, who had only held it for a few weeks to begin with. Would they really have the title change hands this quickly again? Then again, I can't see Cena leaving Raw either. Raw NEEDS Cena, because without him, what other top faces are there? HHH and HBK are busy doing DX and there hasn't been ANYONE built up for the main event. I haven't heard anything about Cena taking time off and Smackdown doesn't need him, so for now all signs point to a Cena victory.

Have all of you forgotten that Cena actually had an iron man type match on Raw last year when he wrestled HBK for like 60 minutes, and that to me was a pretty great match, so I feel that this match with Cean/Orton can be a good match as long as they keep it clean, such as keep it one-on-one and not have DX and Legacy get involved, because if this is the match to end the feud, which it probably isn't because I got a feeling that the feud will end at Survivor Series, because Cena will win the Belt, then lose it between Bragging Rights and Survivor Series probably to Dibease, so that Cena will go make his Movie in December, So this match is not a typical iron-match, but I look forward to seeing some bodies broken, tables broken, chairs used, I feel this is probably just going to be like the match that they had at breaking point but iron-man form

before i talk about the orton vs cena ironman match ive got to say i was really impressed by cena in is match with hbk he got out the and did a great performance sure hbk helped cena along the way but it wasnt to the full extent of the match.

now on to cena vs orton this as the potential to be a classic or a total failure orton and cena work very well together the only time i didnt thought that a match of them was good was the one at this years summerslam mainly because the overbooked mess but since this match is no dq i advice them to look at the brock vs angle iroman match it had hardcore spots are wrestling and some people consider that match the best ironman match that there has been i think that this will test more orton he never got in a 60 min match like cena, orton proved that he could have a fantastic 30 min match but could he do it in 60 min and still have a fantastic match.

i can imagine the finish now, the result is 5 to 4 in favor of orton, cena hits the F-U with 8 seconds to go he goes for the cover at 5 seconds to go, the pin 1 2 and orton kicks out and thus making cena lose the match im my opinion this would be a very emotional finish that would get people into the ending of the match

Dammit, Sly fucking beat me to it. El bastardo.

Um yea, its not his big chance, because he has already put on an excellent 60 minute match with Shawn Micheals. If a match like that with HBK couldnt do it, then one with Mr.Headlock himself DAMN sure wont do it.

i can imagine the finish now, the result is 5 to 4 in favor of orton, cena hits the F-U with 8 seconds to go he goes for the cover at 5 seconds to go, the pin 1 2 and orton kicks out and thus making cena lose the match im my opinion this would be a very emotional finish that would get people into the ending of the match

Man, this sounds eerily similar to something I just read... if only... I could figure out what...

To be honest, I can see this match ending the exact same way as Brock/Kurt from Smackdown years back. Orton is up by only 1 decison, and Orton's in control, Cena mounts a comeback, looking to tie it up and go into sudden death overtime. Cena locks in the STF(u) with 10-15 seconds left, leading everyone to believe that Orton will tap and and tie it up, only to watch the clock tick the last few seconds tick away and Orton to hold out until the clock reaches 0:00.

Oh right, that thing I said a page before. Pin, submission, whatever. This match is gonna end the same basic way if it's an Orton win, that's simple.

Anyway, this match is gonna be full of a lot of different stuff. There will be some hardcore, some interference, some resting, 20,000 different headlocks, 35,000 stomps, and possibly, just possibly some wrestling, and that's what I'm hoping for. I know they did the whole no dq thing so they could get away with not ACTUALLY straight up wrestling for an hour. I personally think though, that this match would've been better as a 30 minute ironman match, that way it's not as unbelievable when there's like a minute left and Cena's all fresh as a daisy like only he can be. Let's just hope at the very end he doesn't get up from a huge beating, stare Orton eye to eye, then point towards the ceiling again. That made me turn Raw off before it was over for the first time in... I have no idea how long. Although I know it's inevitabe Legacy will interfere, I really hope that it's not a crucial part of the match. I want this match to stand on it's own. I hope they don't have the final decision made because of the Legacy being involved.

Have all of you forgotten that Cena actually had an iron man type match on Raw last year when he wrestled HBK for like 60 minutes, and that to me was a pretty great match, so I feel that this match with Cean/Orton can be a good match as long as they keep it clean, such as keep it one-on-one and not have DX and Legacy get involved, because if this is the match to end the feud, which it probably isn't because I got a feeling that the feud will end at Survivor Series, because Cena will win the Belt, then lose it between Bragging Rights and Survivor Series probably to Dibease, so that Cena will go make his Movie in December, So this match is not a typical iron-match, but I look forward to seeing some bodies broken, tables broken, chairs used, I feel this is probably just going to be like the match that they had at breaking point but iron-man form

no offense but their is no way you can compare orton to old HBK
HBK is one of the few people that can put on a great match with everyone.
Cena needs Old HBK if he wants to put on another great match like that. Now don't get me wrong, I think that Orton is a great wrestler and is a great heel, but his positives don't offset Cena's negatives

Ok now on to the arguement
no this won't shut anyone up just for the fact that Cena will still have horrible matches all the time, he would still be boring, and he still can't sell.
I actually think lower of him now because what he said on RAW. He called Orton vs. Cena not just a great fued, but the fued. That aragent panzee actually acts like any one cares.

In my opinion Cena will have to call a majority of this match. He has more experience in working long matches than Orton does. He already had a 1 hour match with HBK. Now don't get me wrong HBK is great and has probably called 90% of that match but Cena has probably learned a lot from that match about how to pace himself, when to go for a big spot, etc. Orton on the other hand hasn't really had any matches than went more than 25 minutes. Being a heel it is going to be his job to control the match so to speak. I just hope he can do it in a way that won't put the fans to sleep by stomping and chinlocking Cena for 15 minutes. No DQ's should help make the match because we'll probably see some spots involving brawling in the crowd, using a chair, a table, steel steps, etc.

As long as whether this will put the smarks who criticize Cena to rest, probably not. Cena could wrestle an 8 hour match with Jericho and people who hate Cena would still hate him because they are always going to find something wrong with him. Wrestling craft is not something that can be perfected. No matter how long 2 wrestlers work together they won't hit every spot perfectly so it won't be too hard for people who hate to continue hating.

Have all of you forgotten that Cena actually had an iron man type match on Raw last year when he wrestled HBK for like 60 minutes

Have you all also forgotten that the match between HBK/Cena on Raw was technically a tad over 40 minutes?!? Where does everyone keep getting this 60-minutes from? Hell... at least 20 minutes of that 40 between the two was spent either in headlocks or on their backs.

~~ okay okay... it was 43 minutes (just a smidgen over a tad I suppose). Their match at WM23 was 40 minutes well.

Have you all also forgotten that the match between HBK/Cena on Raw was technically a tad over 40 minutes?!? Where does everyone keep getting this 60-minutes from? Hell... at least 20 minutes of that 40 between the two was spent either in headlocks or on their backs.

~~ okay okay... it was 43 minutes (just a smidgen over a tad I suppose). Their match at WM23 was 40 minutes well.

That match went more than 43 minutes. I just watched it again. It went about 37 minutes from bell to bell with the commercial breaks cut out. And they had 5 commercial breaks during that match which were 3-5 minutes long. I remember JR said it once during RAW that match went 56 minutes which could be a bit over exaggerated but their match + entrances went for an entire second hour of RAW.

That match went more than 43 minutes. I just watched it again. It went about 37 minutes from bell to bell with the commercial breaks cut out. And they had 5 commercial breaks during that match which were 3-5 minutes long. I remember JR said it once during RAW that match went 56 minutes which could be a bit over exaggerated but their match + entrances went for an entire second hour of RAW.

It's an Iron Man match, not an Iron Man entrance and commercial extravaganza. Sure it took the whole hour to show on broadcast television but I only pointed out the actual match time itself.

According to wwe.com classics website it has the match video in it's entirety and it was listed at 43 minutes... and that was without commercials of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back