When will there be another Iron Man Match?

HBK89Bill

Pre-Show Stalwart
I've been going through a lot of old Ring of Honor lately. I was going through some American Dragon and Austin Aries stuff and I eventually caught their two out of three falls match which lasted for like an hour and a half. It got me thinking and it occurred to me that we haven't seen an iron man match in WWE since Orton/Cena. There have been quite a few with AJ in TNA, but none in WWE.

I first started wondering why that was and it occurred to me how good the storytelling was in those matches and there simply aren't many feuds that are intense enough for an hour long match. Remember how good Rock/HHH was back in 2000, Angle/Lesnar in 2003, or even Angle/Michaels. I mean I'm sure we all have countless fantasy iron man matches we would love to see, but my question is more of when is the next one going to be? Is storytelling on a lower level so that a match of that magnitude can't be done in WWE anymore?

Yeah, I almost agree with what you've said, in the past, there haven't really been any feuds that really deserve an hour long match.

The only feud i can think of is Punk vs Cena, as that feud has been on and off since july 2011 and i wouldn't mind seeing an hour long iron man match at summerslam, Survivor series or WM.

i agreed with having punk in it but then cena cant last in a 1 hour long iron man match. if they do a 30 minute one yea but whats the point.

if i were to chose i think i would want zigler and punk, although not anytime soon. maybe in 2 years if they can get a great feud going and one of them is on top of the company and cena is lower down on the scale from what he has been

The Iron Man match is my favorite gimmick match. There has only been five 60 minute Iron Man matches in WWE history, along with two 30 minute Iron Man Matches. It's that uniqueness that I love so much. They don't just throw it into a main event feud once or twice a year, and they certainly don't have a PPV dedicated to it. They're saved for special occasions.

I think we'll see one in the near future. CM Punk vs. John Cena just begs for an Iron Man match to conclude their everlasting feud. I don't think storytelling is the problem, I just think that the main event scene is so bloated that two guys don't really have that epic feud that leads to an Iron Man match anymore. They're constantly getting shuffled around and feuding with new people. Punk vs. Cena is really the only feud I could go going that route right now. If it's not them, we might not see one for a long time.

EDIT:

i agreed with having punk in it but then cena cant last in a 1 hour long iron man match. if they do a 30 minute one yea but whats the point.

Lol @ this. Really? Go watch the last 60 minute Iron Man match, Cena vs. Orton, and tell me Cena can't last. Or go watch the Cena vs. HBK match that wasn't even an Iron Man match and lasted more than 60 minutes.

how about a FIRST time ever.....triple threat iron man match. I honestly do not know how this has not been done before. I would killlll to see any of the following three put in an iron match together - ziggler, punk, bryan, kofi kingston

the last one, orton vs cena wasn't too shabby , what was that? 4 years ago ?

how about a FIRST time ever.....triple threat iron man match. I honestly do not know how this has not been done before. I would killlll to see any of the following three put in an iron match together - ziggler, punk, bryan, kofi kingston

the last one, orton vs cena wasn't too shabby , what was that? 4 years ago ?

^^^^ I hope we never see this ever, it would probably make me vomit.

We will see an Iron Man match again eventually. It's not something that should just come around once a year though (neither is HIAC or TLC, but hey.) The feud should call for the stipulations in the match. We haven't had many hate fueled feuds in the WWE in a while, and the ones that we do get don't last long enough to go to the Iron Man match. Look at the Iron Man matches from the past, Rock and HHH feuded from 1998 up until Rock Left WWE, Angle and Lesnar feuded from the time that Lesnar arrived until he left, same with Hart and Michaels as well as Orton and Cena. An Iron Man match comes when both guys have beaten each other multiple times and you have no other choice than to send them out their for 60 minutes and see who can get the most falls

I don't see one happening for awhile. Kids don't have the attention span to watch an hour long match. I could be wrong but I've been around kids who love wrestling. & they'll watch about 40 minutes of Raw before they get bored if one of their favs don't come out. Anyway I would love to see one & I think as of right now Punk V Cena is the only one that would work but down the road if they started building soon would be Punk V Orton, Punk V Ambrose, Ambrose V Rollins, Ziggler V Daniel Bryan, Triple H V Sheamus & Jericho V Ceasaro would be my choices of fueds I'd start making work at the top level very soon.

Cena had an Iron Man match with Orton. It was a good match, though it didn't live up to some of the previous matches.

Back to the topic at hand, I think WWE could still pull off an Iron Man match. I don't see one any time soon since they tend to be few and far between, especially the sixty minute ones. I'd love to see Bryan and Punk go at it for sixty minutes, but I doubt WWE shares my enthusiasm. The next one probably will involve one or the other. I could also see Ziggler going for sixty minutes.

I would love to see another Ironman match. Just not any time soon, as I haven't really seen any recent rivalries that warrant a match of this magnitude. I was originally thinking Cena/Punk but I seriously don't know how much I am interested in either of these 2 anymore. Other options that crossed my mind were Ziggler/Bryan, Ambrose/Rollins (5 years from now), Kofi/Del Rio. However, if I were to pick one it would happen next year at WM30. Yes that's right it would be Taker's final match. Brock/Taker 60 minute Iron Man Match. Taker always steals the show at Mania, and Brock has a great amateur wrestling background to backup his physicality. Book it Vince

Punk VS Bryan would be an epic Iron Man Match.
Punk Vs. Cena not anytime soon, but down the road.

I think Dolph Ziggler would be great in this kind of match, it would really establish that he could go.

how about a FIRST time ever.....triple threat iron man match.

While a triple threat would allow for obvious and maybe exciting changes to the iron man format, triple threat matches usually involve the wrestlers spending periods of times selling injuries and not being part of the action. That would possibly take away from some people’s views of how impressive lasting an hour is. Then again, any scenario will have it's share of complainers so it may not be the worst idea, depending on who would be involved.

In general, I would like to see an iron man match again one day.

I always thought the Punk/Bryan feud should have ended in an ironman match. That match would indeed be epic. Cena vs Punk is one I could see happening in the future, and YES Cena can go 60 minutes. I agree with heel420 that Ziggler would do great in an Iron Man match. I would be into seeing a Ziggler/Orton Iron Man match for the title in the future.

Iron Man matches can be very enjoyable but can also be very boring. If the two wrestlers have chemistry than 1 hour isn't that bad; however, if you put two guys with can barely put on an entertaining match for 10 minuets never mind 60 there is a problem.

How many combinations are there that would befitting of an Iron Man match. For example, Orton and Ziggler could put on a classic later this year but there are talented guys who, in my opinion, could not keep the audience interested for an entire hour.

For an Ironman match to really work it has to be between basically the two top stars in the company. Obviously, being in great shape and being talented enough in the ring to keep in interesting for 60 minutes is key, but these factors alone are simply not enough, you need huge star power as well. HBK/Bret were great workers, but they were also the two top stars of the New Generation Era. Rock/Triple H were the two top stars in the year 2000, Lesnar/Angle were the two top SmackDown guys in 2003, Triple H/Benoit were the two top RAW guys in 2004, Cena/Orton were the top guys back in 2009-2010.

So based on this important factor, the only 2 wrestlers in the WWE right now that could have an Ironman Match are John Cena and CM Punk. They are without question the two top stars, and they would be able to easily keep the crowd into the match for the whole 60 minutes. Both are also proven workers, especially in big match situations, so I see no reason why they couldn't pull it off. Plus, the match these two had on RAW this year was already pretty fucking long, and it was a classic.

we haven't seen an iron man match in WWE since Orton/Cena

There is a reason for that. Iron Man matches need to be a rarity reserved for only the two best guys of a generation, or two of the most skilled in ring workers of a generation. Cena & Orton at the time were bar none the two top guys of the federation, and today are still two of the biggest names of this generation. Punk, Sheamus, and Bryan have all been built up a lot since the Cena VS Orton match, but I would still argue that the right choice was made for this generation's Iron Man match. There should not be another one again for a while and neither Cena nor Orton should participate if another one were to take place anytime soon.

I wouldn't mind seeing one happen at Over the Limit, it would be a good PPV event to make home to that match type. With Bragging Rights being gone it's the next best bet. You have to last an extremely long time in an Iron Man match so only the best should be considered. I would pick CM Punk and Daniel Bryan for an Iron Man match over the World Heavyweight or WWE Championship at Over the Limit as the next Iron Man match candidate. It would be a great showcase for both wrestlers, gives fans a reason to purchase Over the Limit that year, and if they fought for the World Heavyweight Championship it would do some good for that belt's importance. I'd love for that to happen, it could be this generation's counterpart to Hart VS Michaels only it wouldn't be at a Wrestlemania. Bryan should win the match, he'd need the win more.

I agree with basically everything DAGGER DIAS stated. Iron man matches are rarities in WWE that should be reserved for the biggest & best feuds (I think every feud that has lead to an Iron Man Match, the opponents had at least 4-5 Main Event/High Profile/PPV matches with each other) & the biggest & best Superstars of their generation. While I'm not sure if I would agree Cena/Orton was the best Iron Man Match for this past generation (since I personally think Cena/Edge would have been much better & more appropriate) but I think Punk/Bryan should definately be the next Iron Match we get & I would hope it isn't far off either.

After that it will be at least a year or so but I could see Ambrose & Ziggler having a great feud & a great Iron Man match in the coming years.

I think the next 60 min ironman match will be and should be Kofi vs. Ziggler. They've been trading wins since the better days of 2010 and never disappoint. They should be comfortable enough with each other to go an hour. It would also be an awesome incentive if this happened at WM30: Kofi vs. Ziggler, Ironman match for the WHC. It'd be fitting, as the two have run parallel careers except Ziggler has a world title and Kofi doesn't. A match like this would close the rivalry with poetic justice and elevate the two like crazy.

Unless Cena & Punk are in it, the next Ironman match should be 30 minutes. I agree with Sexcellence Of Sexecution, any two guys that don't have the starpower that Cena & Punk do would fail to keep everyone interested for the entire 60 minutes. I like HBsam's suggestion of Ziggler/Orton in an Ironman match. Those two certainly have the history for one, with the amount of matches they've had and the amount of victories they've traded with each other over the last year. Those two need to finally settle it and determine who the better man is. Another Ziggler victory over Orton especially in an Ironman match would add a lot of credibility to his current reign. With rumors of the two feuding over the title in the summer, I wouldn't mind an Ironman match between the two at Money In The Bank or Summerslam. But again it should be 30 minutes not 60 minutes. The next GREAT (60 min) Ironman match is Cena vs. Punk, but like many in this thread I don't see it happening anytime down the road, so I wouldn't mind seeing a 30 minute one between Orton & Ziggler before we get Cena vs. Punk in one. Every great 60 min Ironman match has had a few 30 min Ironman's and even 15 min Ironman's take place inbetween them.

i like the punk/db one how bout maybe ziggler and Jericho, they have a semi good rivalry going it would be a good way to send Jericho off, and build ziggler as a mainstay as champion

Punk VS Bryan would be an epic Iron Man Match.
Punk Vs. Cena not anytime soon, but down the road.

I think Dolph Ziggler would be great in this kind of match, it would really establish that he could go.

Oh man, Punk vs Bryan, Punk vs Ziggler or Bryan vs Ziggler... I would pay to watch those matches.

I am sure at some point down the line we will see another Iron Man Match but I don't think it would be any time soon though.

not until Ziggler is in a feud with Punk or Bryan. Any combination of those three guys is the next time we will see one in WWE

The Iron Man match can really be and should be a career maker. I think that it should be between the two best in ring guys at the time. At this point in time that would be Punk, Bryan and Ziggler. Problem is the Iron Man match should close the show. And if Cena isn't in the ME then I don't think it will. Its not a question of if Cena can go for an hour its wether it will be any good. Like previous poster said kids don't have an attention span of an hour. I reckon the best would be Punk v Bryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back