Who did it better - Jeff Jarrett or CM Punk ?

TheGreatLegend

The Cerebral Assasin
As for many new wrestling fans CM Punk's "shoot" promo wasn't the first. Many others have done it before but the one Jeff Jarrett did in 1997 stands out for me.It was perfectly delivered and was more "cutting edge".

Jeff Jarrett's Promo :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ZpKxqBZJY

CM Punk's Promo :

[YOUTUBE]2OS9wZGb_3g[/YOUTUBE]

Who in your opinion did the "Shoot" promo better and why ?

I'd go with Punk's due to the timing of it in his storyline. When he delivered it, he was a few weeks away from his contract being up anyway, so it seemed plausible that he was just really disillusioned with the WWE and wanted to air his grievances while he had the chance.

Jarrett's was ok, but coming back and shooting more on the boss who recently hired you back rather than the one you just left seemed a bit stupid to me.

I have to go with Punk any day of the week. Jarrett is someone that has occassional bouts of brilliance when he gets on the mic. This promo is an example of it but it's few and far in between. Most of the time, I just want Jarrett to shut up before I change the channel. Punk is someone that just flat out delivers each and everytime.

As the poster above said, the timing of Punk's promo had a lot to do with it. Instead of it just being another wrestler pissing and moaning about this and that, there was a huge degree of believability about Punk's that I just didn't really sense in Jarrett. Punk just coming out and saying that his contract with WWE was coming to an end, then bashing the company, the people in charge and some of the guys in the locker room on live television just felt so authentic. Punk's mic getting turned off only added to the believability of the promo. It also just generated MASSIVE amounts of buzz and even a lot of wrestling insiders and hardcore smarks couldn't tell whether or not it was an actual shoot. Punk's worked shoot will be looked at as a defining moment in Punk's career. It'll be looked at as the night when CM Punk became a main eventer in WWE. Jarrett just can't compete with that in my view. To me, I'll remember Jarrett as an overall solid mid-card worker who was elevated to the main event spot but shouldn't have been.

Jeff's shoot was better because he was shooting straight from the hip his words were heart felt and honest where as CM Punks shoot was more scripted than Obama's speeches.

I came into this thinking "No way that Jeff Jarrett can out-shoot C.M. Punk". But, after watching that, taking into consideration the time it took place, the circumstances of that time, and the shots he took, I find it hard to argue against Jeff Jarrett's promo. That was some pretty personal stuff he went on about, and he went off on a lot of people. I couldn't believe when he got on SCSA and what he said about him, that stuff was almost too close to the mark. The same goes for what he was saying about Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, that stuff may not have been everyone's opinion, but there wasn't too much about it you could refute either.

Punks shoot is legendary for Punk. No one saw that coming, it seemed like the most genuine thing that has occurred on WWE programming in years, and it sent shock waves through the business. I can't say that Jarrett's shoot was better, but I can't say that Punks was so far and away better either. I think that Punk's shoot has had a greater felt impact because it happened more recently, because it took place in a WWE devoid of all truthful acknowledgement's, and because Punk has had a greater fan following in these times than Jeff Jarrett did when he gave his shoot promo.

I think in being fair, the only thing you can do is say that both promos are the work of two guys who know how to cut a good promo, and who have been great assets to the business. Each man had their qualities, and each man has shown that they can be controversial and go outside the lines. I call it even.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back