Where would CM Punk be without Jeff Hardy?

Thriller Ant

Beep Bop Boop
Both of Punk's Money in the Bank reigns have involved Jeff. We'll go with the second one first, because it is the more visible one.

WrestleMania XXV: CM Punk wins his second straight Money in the Bank Ladder Match. 2 months later, at Extreme Rules, Punk cashes in the contract immediately after Jeff Hardy wins a Ladder Match against Edge to become World Champ for a second time. The two men feuded, and during this time Punk turned into the Straight Edge Savior character he still uses today. Punk's verbal and physical attacks against one of the most popular superstars in the company along with Punk's excellent mic work in the character shot him to one of, if not the top heel in WWE. Even when Punk moved down the card, allegedly due to backstage issues, he continued to be one of the biggest heat drawers in the company.

Now, many people don't know or have forgotten the role Jeff Hardy played in Punk's first MITB win. In 2008, Jeff Hardy was the hottest thing in the WWE. He faced Randy Orton for the title at the Royal Rumble. He Swantoned Orton from the top of the Raw set. He was in the final 2 in the Elimination Chamber at No Way Out. But when Hardy was in the home stretch for the Money in the Bank Match at WrestleMania XXIV, the personal issues that have/had plagued him throughout his career struck again. Jeff was suspended for 60 days and pulled from MITB, a match that CM Punk won and eventually cashed in against Edge.

What does Jeff have to do with this? Well, according to a bunch of reports, Jeff Hardy was the winner of the Money in the Bank Ladder Match at WrestleMania XXIV. Once he was suspended, the decision was made to give the briefcase to Punk, which allowed Punk to get his first foray into the main event.

So, posters of WrestleZone Forums, where would CM Punk be if it weren't for his tangled journey with Jeff Hardy?

Well, I think that CM Punk would still be the Straight Edge Savior. Although, it is possible that those two Money in the Bank wins in a row could have been Jeff Hardy wins. Also, there may not have been the feud between CM Punk and Jeff Hardy, because if those wins would have gone to Jeff Hardy, CM Punk could be in a completely different position. He may not have even won a title by 2010, there's just so many possibilities. It would have been a completely different heel turn for Punk, and probably not as entertaining as the one at Extreme Rules. It was just the Ultimate Opportunist tactics by the new heel Money in the Bank winner that really put the heel turn into motion majorly, and without that, he probably would still be face. He probably would still be upper mid-carding, and who knows where he would have been without the first one. I think that the wins could have effected his world title wins- not his gimmick.

Good shit, Thriller.

I'll say that Punk's first reign wouldn't happen, and he likely isn't considered a big drop off in momentum as a face. He would have still been upper midcard, likely getting his IC and Tag Title reigns under his belt, just no World Title win over Edge. He wouldn't have gotten booed for winning his second MITB in a row, however, I think he still could be where he is now in terms of being a heel.

All that really would be different is that Jeff doesn't get suspended in 2008, doesn't miss MITB, wins his title and goes on, and Punk doesn't get his reign. Hardy was always better at chasing the title, so he could beat Edge at Extreme Rules, and Punk does the same thing, and ends up as the Straight Edge Savior today.

Now, if Hardy left early, or Punk didn't cash on him, then we don't have the Straight Edge Savior. Jeff was the reason Punk was able to turn heel, and Punk continued it with his great mic work and ability to make the crowd hate him. Jeff was the druggy dare devil that everyone loved. It just fit so perfectly and there is no one in the WWE who truly had that same history (that I recall). No Jeff Hardy in 2009 means no heel CM Punk, who still gains the most heat on Smackdown, if not the company.

I can see why everyone would believe Jeff to to very detrimental in Punks career, because he was.
I truly believe though his heel turn would still have happened because it was overdue even before his path met with Jeff Hardy. That said no matter who the source of his heel turn was Punk is just to golden to not have enjoyed the success he has had so far.

I can see why everyone would believe Jeff to to very detrimental in Punks career, because he was.
I truly believe though his heel turn would still have happened because it was overdue even before his path met with Jeff Hardy. That said no matter who the source of his heel turn was Punk is just to golden to not have enjoyed the success he has had so far.

It would have happened regardless. There is no doubt about that. However, Punk would not have gotten the heat that he got last summer without Jeff Hardy. I guarantee it. His promos on Jeff Hardy were tremendous, some of the best I'd heard in a long time, and his promo where he dressed as Jeff, people looked like they wanted to kill him. Punk is great on the mic, especially as a heel, but I don't think he has the same control over the crowd without Jeff Hardy, or at least such a great starting point. The Hardy feud was what launched Punk to the next level.

The feud with Hardy helped Punk out a lot. It was perfect. You had the squeaky clean drug-free and alcohol free Straightedge superstar VS the known drug user, and screw up Jeff Hardy. You could not have scripted something better. The feud felt so personal, and so many people were rooting for Hardy, and the hatred for Punk just kept growing, and growing. Jeff was way over with the fans during this feud, and this helped solidify Punk's status as a top heel in WWE.

The crowd wasn't really to excited for Punk as a face. His feud with Batista really didn't take off, and his short reign as World Heavyweight Champion was forgettable. Punk's feud with Hardy has been a big part of his heel success in WWE. People were seriously upset after the cage match for the title on Smackdown after Summerslam. Punk has been WWE's #1 villain ever since Hardy's departure, and things haven't really changed since then.

I completely agree with CH here. Punk's first reign most likely wouldn't have happened and he would have wondered the ranks of mid card/upper mid card and I believe he still would have got the IC title reign and his tag title reigns. Maybe a few more IC titles than the one he got. I do believe he would have gotten to where he is today eventually, but it wouldn't have been as huge as it was without Jeff Hardy. We knew of Hardy's issues and the E took advantage and turned CM Punk into a mega heel. It fit perfectly and the E took the opportunity to run with it. It would have happened eventually, but it would be hard to predict just who the person would be that would get Punk the heat. I can guarantee you that the heat wouldn't have been as hot as it was with Hardy, but it would have gotten there eventually.

That's a god damn hard question to answer Thriller. CM Punk could be anywhere in the card had Jeff Hardy never been with WWE. Had Jeff Hardy been with TNA.

However I do believe that if WWE ever gave the briefcases to CM Punk. As well as to turn him heel against Jeff Hardy. It would've happened one way or another at some other point. CM Punk had plenty of people he could've pushed himself through. Rey Mysterio might very well have been busy. But Rey could've easily pushed him as a heel. Well look what happened the past half year.

All it needed was for Rey Mysterio to feud with CM Punk after he cashed it in. This would probably have been done against Edge on Smackdown I could imagine. He'd get some face reaction. But being launched into a program with one of the bigger faces would've helped him get over as a heel.

But however that doesn't mean that it would've been the way WWE would've gone. Somehow I could imagine Punk being on RAW. Cashing it on a guy like John Cena during his second cash in. And turning heel on that momentum. The first cash-in I could imagine that without Jeff Hardy - CM Punk would've been in line for the win either way. Who else was there to be put in that position if Jeff Hardy was already gone? nobody really.

Rey Mysterio was injured during that time. He was perhaps the only one who could've taken the Jeff Hardy position in there. But as he was injured. It didn't happen.

I firmly believe CM Punk would've ended up somewhere along the lines of where he is now no matter what. WWE wouldn't have kept him heel for this long. Or given him championship reigns or anything in that manner at all if they didn't have the belief in him.

It would have happened regardless. There is no doubt about that. However, Punk would not have gotten the heat that he got last summer without Jeff Hardy. I guarantee it. His promos on Jeff Hardy were tremendous, some of the best I'd heard in a long time, and his promo where he dressed as Jeff, people looked like they wanted to kill him. Punk is great on the mic, especially as a heel, but I don't think he has the same control over the crowd without Jeff Hardy, or at least such a great starting point. The Hardy feud was what launched Punk to the next level.
Ok that I can agree with. Yes Punk would be where is now, but your likely right that he would not be as over as he is now as a heel. It really was the final nail in the coffin that was Jeff leaving the WWE, to be the last thing to be what made in my opinion Punk one of, if not the best, people in the business right now.

Well, Jeff Hardy did play a huge part of C.M. Punk's heel turn. Had it not been for Jeff Hardy and his past drug addictions... C.M. Punk turning heel and his attitude towards it wouldn't have came off as natural as it did. C.M. Punk is a born heel and Jeff Hardy was the perfect person to help turn him heel and even now with all the heel heat that Punk gets today is due in large part to Jeff Hardy.

Where would C.M. Punk be without Jeff Hardy? Well, I would assume that he would still be heel. He had been a face for over 2 years already and I had assumed that winning his 2nd "Money in the Bank" and getting drafted to Smackdown would lead to some type of character alteration. It just wouldn't have been as easy if it wasn't for Jeff Hardy and his real-life issues.

Don't forget that immediately after C.M. Punk's feud with Jeff Hardy ended... his feud with The Undertaker began. We all know that an attack or a feud with The Undertaker is one of the best and easiest ways to turn heel. Even without Jeff Hardy, C.M. Punk would have likely still been World Heavyweight Champion and still likely would have feuded with The Undertaker. His feud with R-Truth would have still likely happened. Him beginning to save people... his feud with Rey Mysterio. All of those would have remained the same.

So, I think even without Jeff Hardy... C.M. Punk would still be the big heel he is today and was last summer. However, Jeff Hardy made is easier and helped it come off a lot easier. If not, WWE would have had to come up with something else to turn Punk heel. He'd still be fine.

I think Punk would have gone with the SES, but never have gotten a WHC. I honestly dont see Punk as a WHC. I dont know why, but just doesnt work for me. I do think he would stil be the biggest heal on Smackdown, maybe the IC champ, but people would hate him as much.

In all honest opinion, I don't think Punk's first MITB win would have affected him in the long run. His first title reign was pretty badly booked and he just sort of floundered back into the mid-card area. Jeff Hardy still went on to achieve fame as a main eventer and went through the struggle of becoming a World Champion, as the intended storyline would have made him go through.

The second MITB is monumental in this case, however. The WWE decided that it was Punk's time to become a Main Eventer of the company and test the waters with a heel run. Considering his lifestyle, what better way than to capitalise on someone with the lifestyle that is in direct conflict with his? Jeff has been known to use drugs in the past and CM Punk is straight-edge. An epic combination for any good feud and it made it refreshing to see. For a gimmick such as this to succeed, you'll need to start with a bang and Jeff Hardy was the guy to do that. Jeff leaving the WWE made it that much sweeter, giving CM Punk something to feed off for the next couple of weeks in his promos.

The first MITB win wouldn't have done anything to him, but the second with the follow-up... I don't think there was anyone else on the roster that was as huge and title-worthy as Jeff Hardy to insight the heel turn of Punk. Hardy was the perfect and only logical choice for Punk, so I don't think he would have turned into a heel that early in his career... maybe later on down the line he could have but not then. Eventually, he would have become the Straight-Edge Saviour and made the same impact.

CM Punk would have been a main eventer as a huge heel as he is now. I mean, he wasn't going to get suspended for violating the WWE Wellness Policy anytime soon. Good question though Thriller.

It's a good question but it would be a much better question if Punk was riding high as at least the bona fide number one heel on SmackDown. As it is, he's below Jack "I'm-a hug yo' ankle" Swagger and, quite possibly, "Painfully Sexy" Cody Rhodes.

So, to answer your question, I'd imagine he'd be where he is now, the upper midcard. Like FalKon said, I don't think his first Money in the Bank win really affected him in the long run so, while he'd be roughly where he is now, he'd have one or two title reigns less.

In fact, without that first MitB win - and presuming Hardy won it instead - he'd have probably feuded Hardy much earlier. But then, in this alternative timeline, he's not allowed to go anywhere near Jeff Hardy, is he? Wibbly wobbly, timey wimey.

That’s a great question.

Honestly, I don’t think he would be where he is today. If Jeff wasn’t pulled from the first MITB I don’t think Punk would have been given a chance until the next years MITB. There’s no way Punk would have held a world title in 2008 without the MITB briefcase.

However, he would still have become a main event player. He would still have become the Straight Edge Saviour though, he did a similar character from what I’ve seen in ROH so I’m sure he would have still become what he is today but maybe only a 2 time world champ. His history with Hardy was the best feud of 2009 (except maybe Taker/Michaels) and his runs with the titles since his 2nd MITB win have all been memorable and successful. His talent and mic work would have still pushed him to where he is but without Hardy it would have probably taken longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back