• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which operating system do i choose?

swax1

Dark Match Jobber
hey.i have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop computer with 2GB of memory and a AMD Athelon(tm) 64 X2 Duel-Core TK-53 1.70 Ghz processor.i just wanted to know of which operating system should i install on this computer.should i install...

A. Windows XP
B. Windows Vista 32bit
C. Windows Vista 64bit
D. Windows 7

...so,which operating system should i choose?

xp is the easiest to use, but i would also try vista, youll need to install about a thousand different plug ins to get the thing working but its the safest bet, I have never tried windows seven though.

Ive used both vista and xp and vista has worked wonders at this point so give it a go

Definitely not Windows 7. Still has compatibility issues with a lot of games, in my experience. And not Vista 32 if 64 is an option.

So either XP or Vista 64. Both work fine. I'm one of the very few Vista fans you'll find, so I say go with that, but it's really a personal preference thing.

I agree with Dexter about Vista 64. I've had it on my home PC and it seems to be stable and I haven't had any problems with it. As long as it's an option, go with 64 and not the 32bit version. You can add more RAM if you wish. With the latest Service Pack that came out, I noticed that about 20GB of space freed up on my hard drive. Other users have noticed space freeing as well.

My laptop is running windows 7 and while it seems to be stable, it is hard to find compatable programs. You can use the Compatability Wizard, or Compatability Mode, and you may be able to get them to work, but in my opinion, it's not worth it. If you could buy Vista x64, and somehow get a free upgrade when 7 is released, that may be a good thing, but I believe it's only available when you buy a new PC.

Windows XP is a great OS. But I don't see Microsoft providing support for it too long after 7 is released. You can try to take a chance, and I guess it all comes down to what you want to do with your Laptop.

My decision would be Vista x64. But remember that 7 is coming out soon. If you wish to try it out, you may be able to still get a beta key and try it out for free. Then you can make your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back