Operating System Of Choice

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
When you get a computer, the operating system is always important. After all its what runs the computer. However some tend to be better for certain things than others and usually perform well on specific machines. I've had Windows Vista and Windows 7 on my laptop. Both have sucked. Ass. On desktop I've had XP, ME and 97. All of which have worked great. XP is the most modern of them but would be quite slow. While ME ran fast but big programs where a problem and would drop its speed big time. I'm just wondering what operating systems have you used and well have they worked?

I'm not sure why you think bad things about Windows 7, because it's actually quite a good system (well, I know why, but I promise you the problem wasn't W7). And Vista isn't bad, for what most people use it for. Windows XP is still a top notch system, but mostly for businesses and companies...for home use, it's out-dated.

As far as non-Windows system, I can't stand Mac OS. Mostly because it's worthless, doesn't have the compatibility of Windows or the security of Linux, and it ONLY runs on specific hardware.

As far as Linux OS goes, I haven't tried many of them but of the limited experiences I've had, OpenSUSE 11 has been pretty easy to understand and pick up.

I'm not sure why you think bad things about Windows 7, because it's actually quite a good system (well, I know why, but I promise you the problem wasn't W7). And Vista isn't bad, for what most people use it for. Windows XP is still a top notch system, but mostly for businesses and companies...for home use, it's out-dated.

I don't necesarility have a beef with Vista and 7. Its just that from day one of having them, programs would just inexplicably freeze. They didn't seem to do well when using multiple programs. My guess is the laptop. I've used Vista on a desktop in college and it perform beatufully with the exception of a few features. It has big problems when on the internet. Opening a browser is always a problem because it would a long time to load. On the other hand I always heard how ME was terrible, yet it was the best one I had on my desktop.

As far as non-Windows system, I can't stand Mac OS. Mostly because it's worthless, doesn't have the compatibility of Windows or the security of Linux, and it ONLY runs on specific hardware.

As far as Linux OS goes, I haven't tried many of them but of the limited experiences I've had, OpenSUSE 11 has been pretty easy to understand and pick up.

I've heard that Mac's Leopard works great and is very secure, but to be honest I never liked Apple OS'es because of their excluseveness. You'd have to do research just to find programs similar to the ones Windows uses. Thankfully ports of Office and other mainstream programs exist. I've heard that when it comes to programming and software development, LINUX is top choice. I've yet to see for my self, but I will soon enough.

I don't necesarility have a beef with Vista and 7. Its just that from day one of having them, programs would just inexplicably freeze. They didn't seem to do well when using multiple programs. My guess is the laptop. I've used Vista on a desktop in college and it perform beatufully with the exception of a few features. It has big problems when on the internet. Opening a browser is always a problem because it would a long time to load. On the other hand I always heard how ME was terrible, yet it was the best one I had on my desktop.
Windows 7 actually handles multiple programs fairly well. My guess is that you are right, that the computer you had wasn't equipped for Windows 7, in terms of hardware.

I've heard that Mac's Leopard works great and is very secure
It's not, Mac users just like to pretend it is. Macs have many security flaws, but since it's not financially rewarding for people to compromise Mac systems, you don't hear about viruses for Mac. Basically, Macs are secure because people don't use them. And Apple, from what I've read, doesn't do a very good job of protecting it's operating system.

You'd have to do research just to find programs similar to the ones Windows uses. Thankfully ports of Office and other mainstream programs exist. I've heard that when it comes to programming and software development, LINUX is top choice. I've yet to see for my self, but I will soon enough.
Linux is also FAR a more secure operating system, as well as very customizable. Linux is the most common OS for computer server systems, including the server the WZ Forums are hosted on.

If Linux could ever start recruiting game makers to use Linux for big time games, Linux would easily overtake Mac, and would probably give Microsoft a scare.

I've had a long range of operative systems, I started out with 98, later on I had XP, then about 2 years time ago I upgraded to Vista (and I'm one of the few (obviously).. to have loved Vista)

Now I run Windows 7 on my stationary computer, and it's by far my most favorite, the only problem I had about it in the start was the fact that I was a little annoyed with the superbar (taskbar.. yep they call it superbar) because I wasn't used to the giant icons you had to roll over in order to select a "subicon" so to say.. like MSN, having to roll over it to choose a conversation in a subicon.
I tried to adjust it so that the icons would even out along the line, looked awful, and decided to reverse, and eventually grew used to it.

I've never had any problems with either of my operative systems, and the only reason I've upgraded from XP is because I wanted to try something newer, and I loved each upgrade.

I got a Macbook Pro which I run Mac OS X on, don't use it too much (the OS X) cause I remain a Vista fan, which I also have installed on it (because I didn't bother to install my Windows 7 on it again)

And Sly, I completely agree with you on the "I can't stand Mac OS" because as I stated above, don't use it so much, cause when I tried it at first cleanly on a Mac it's features pissed me off, mostly because I was very used to the Windows part of operative systems, only reason why I have Mac OS X on my laptop is because I didn't feel it was right having a Mac without an actual Mac OS on it.

So have to admit I love dual boot.

I have used Microsoft operating systems from Windows 95 and all of them have been the best of their time. Personally, I am a Microsoft fan but I do not agree with the current ethos they have, in regard to releasing operating systems. They have been quoted as saying that they will release a new operating system every 3 years. This is under the promise that Windows will stay up to date and modern, no matter what year it is. That is great for a couple of reasons. First, it means that we are never stuck for choice and can pick and choose what operating system we want to use without having to go to Mac. The other great thing is that it will be constantly updated and, hopefully, better. They will put new mechanics in to each OS and it is my hope that they will improve all the time.

However, with this ethos, how is it justifiable to have them set at such a high cost. The price of Windows 7 has shot up all the prices of laptops and PC that come with Windows 7 installed. It is also very expensive to but and the upgrade kit is sincerely not worth it. That being said, I think that Microsoft are in danger of losing some custom because they are pricing themselves out of business. The price of software needs to be right now, more than ever because people are less willing to pay for it when they can download or just keep the OS they have. I fear that with current pricing, we might be leaving some people in the "dark ages" of technology as the world moves on at a rapid pace.

However, Windows is the best OS and I have never had any real substantial problems with it.

However, with this ethos, how is it justifiable to have them set at such a high cost.
Because people will buy it, that's how.

Nobody forces anyone to buy Windows software, or update their Windows software. Hell, up until recently, Microsoft was still supporting XP, an OS from 8 years ago, and they still may, I'm not sure when they were going to drop support for it.

The point is that Windows is very much supported by Microsoft, so no one HAS to update. But if people are willing to pay, why not?

That being said, I think that Microsoft are in danger of losing some custom because they are pricing themselves out of business.
Not until some Linux based Operating Systems start to find their way into computer stores. At this point and time, having a computer is as close to a necessity as it's ever been. And the only two options, in most major retailers, is Windows or Mac...and Mac is far more expensive than Windows, and much less supported.

So, until Red Hat, Debian, or Canonical/Ubuntu or Novell/OpenSUSE (these are the most likely possibilities) are able to start finding it's way onto computers at major retailers, Windows really can't price themselves out of business.

However, Windows is the best OS and I have never had any real substantial problems with it.
I don't know if I'd say it's the BEST OS, but it's certainly much better than people give it credit for. However, they've had plenty of operating system releases that weren't very good, such as Windows 95, Windows ME (which I never had a problem with personally), and even Vista was generally disdained as a poor operating system, even though for most home users it was okay. On a side note, and I've never really noticed this before, it seems like every other OS has been bad...so beware the next version of Windows.

I will say that I would definitely trust Windows far more than I'd trust a Mac.

Because people will buy it, that's how.

Nobody forces anyone to buy Windows software, or update their Windows software. Hell, up until recently, Microsoft was still supporting XP, an OS from 8 years ago, and they still may, I'm not sure when they were going to drop support for it.

Windows is still partially supporting XP through the availability of downgrading from Vista to Windows XP, don't know if it's possible to downgrade from Windows 7 although.

And well there are somewhat of a case of "you wanna play this, you upgrade!" in ways of the old Xbox not supporting the newer games, and if you send one of the old Xbox's to repair you'll get a Xbox 360 in exchange if it's supported under their warranty as far as I've read.

and even Vista was generally disdained as a poor operating system, even though for most home users it was okay. On a side note, and I've never really noticed this before, it seems like every other OS has been bad...so beware the next version of Windows.

I've never seen the hate for Windows Vista, it was a decent well secured operative system, although you could argue "oh holy fuck it was too damn secure!!" sure, the pop-ups eventually could drive you crazy, I managed to live with it although seeing as the only pop-ups I have a problem with is advertisement pop-ups.
I have to admit while it may annoy people, I loved the security measurements Microsoft took for Vista, I read that they tested the UAC (User Account Control for those who don't know, that would be the pop-ups) with Symantec launching about 2000 malwares, worms, trojans, rootkits etc. in general description, a lot of viruses, and supposingly the UAC blocked 50% of every single threat.
I'd say that's enough for me to not mind the pop-ups, and again, I don't mind Vista, I liked it, a lot.

I will say that I would definitely trust Windows far more than I'd trust a Mac.

Sure, but Mac also has it's fair advantages at points, especially with the whole damn lock-down of operative system codes on laptops (while I know it has a majority to blame on the manufacturers of the laptop, *cough* HP!! *cough*) which is a troublesome thing to deal with, also something that has annoyed me with Vista and Windows 7 is the problem to adjust the harddisk to a new computer if the chipset or whatever it is that's usually causing the BSOD if you launch a pre-installed HDD from 1 laptop / stationary to another laptop / stationary.
Sure you could praise the fact that it's easy to update drivers as opposed to XP, but XP at least is adjustable to another laptop, and as far as I know (never tested it properly) Mac operative systems are also.

I use Linux Opensuse 11.2 the latest version of Linux and the most user friendly. I had never used a Linux OS before but I picked it up very quick and easily. It's very similar to windows as far as the look, layout, and operation of your programs go. Linux is Adware free, Spyware free, Virus free, no directory errors, no slowing down, nothing. I haven't had one blip on the radar since I've had it, and I got Linux Opensuse 11.1 to start with then upgraded.

Linux Opensuse 11.2 is also a FREE OS and is in every way on par with anything windows offers. All the programs for Linux are free BTW, and when you upload it on to your system it comes with all the software you could want. Everything from games, to photo and movie editing software, a Microsoft Office like program called OpenOffice(which is actually better), Media devices for movies, cd's, dvd's, and the tools to copy, burn, or whatever else you want to do with them. There is also a program called Yast with which you can get anything for your system you need, this could be a codec to allow you to use MP3's(not supported initially due to copyright), or it could be a new theme or abilities for the KDE4 desktop which is more capable than the Windows OS' as well. You can literally customize this thing to be however you want it to be, and it's all free.

Here's the real trump card though and the one that really just tickles me, and makes me laugh out loud whenever I think of it. There is a program that you can get using Yast or you can find it elsewhere on the internet called WINE. WINE is an Emulator for your Linux OS that allows you to run and use any Windows program. It could even run the windows OS off of Linux if I want, that's how bad ass it is. So, if you want to use Winamp instead of Amarock which comes preloaded on Linux, or the VLC player for Linux that plays any format you can imagine, you can and it will run it like it's just another program on Linux. There is also a Limewire program that is for Linux that I use, so you don't miss out on that. And anything you could possibly need or want for the OS is free and downloadable is a codec pack. It comes with the Firefox browser already on it, and a torrent program called Kget so you won't miss Azureus or any of the other programs like that.

The only draw back I have found is that the game developers haven't made any games for Linux. Still, you can download a ton of games made specifically for Linux with your Yast. It does take some getting used to, but once you do it's very nice, very convenient, and you never have to worry about all the problems that you get with Windows or Mac.

The only ones I've never really had problems with (bar a few small ones) are 2K and XP. 98SE was good for it's time but the frequent freeze ups while using IE6 were just dreadful. As for Linux, I've tried Kubuntu and Ubuntu, but too much of a lengthy learning curve, and seeing as I've already tied up years with Windows, I'll stick with that.

So far i've used Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Vista and (currently) Windows 7. Every one of them worked great for me. I've also used Linux for a while, but i didn't like it. Windows 7 is a great OS. I mostly use it for projects for school and gaming and it hasn't give me one single problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back