• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which former Nexus star has the brightest future in the WWE?

When I entered this thread last September, I picked Wade Barrett and haven't changed my mind; has more star power than any of them. Back when the Nexus concept was formed, there was a reason he was chosen to lead it. He has the look of a future world champion....great moves, great body, great presence.

Got to admit I like Ryback more than I thought I would. Five months ago, I said he was a one trick pony once that gorilla routine grew tiresome after the first 20 times we saw it, but he's added a bit of personality to his repertoire, which really makes a difference. His "I can be funny" remark to Josh Matthews during an interview caught me by surprise and made me realize there may be more to come from Ryback. Plus, his interacting with other good guys has added a dimension to his character. Before that, he was a total loner, simply beating the shit out of whomever was put in front of him.....which, as I said, grew tiresome in a hurry.

Now, Ryback has some room to grow....and that's a good thing.

Between Ryback and Wade Barrett. I see both as potential world champions but i feel Barrett will be a big star. He can carry Smackdown as the top star. He is that good. The Ryback hype will die down but i'm sure he will stay around and have some very good feuds.

The three stand outs are obviously Wade Barrett, Skip Sheffield, AKA Ryback, & Daniel Bryan.

Wade Barrett has had potential greatness written on him since day 1. He's had some career setbacks, such as being injured this time last year. Had Barrett not been injured, I think he'd be World Heavyweight Champion by now. At any rate, I'd say that he will be in the future.

Ryback has grown out of the shadow of a mere Goldberg clone to being among the top babyfaces in WWE right now. He has a great look, great intensity and is honestly pretty good in the ring. Plus, the fans are strongly behind him right now. If things continue in this direction for Ryback, then I think he'll be WWE Champion by the end of this year.

I think Daniel Bryan is going to be the next Chris Jericho. He's someone that I see as an upper mid-card mainstay who will make occasional trips into the main event picture. I think he'll attain more success in the mid-card picture, but I do believe he'll have a few more World Championship runs under his belt by the time it's all said & done. Also, like Jericho, Bryan is someone who can drag a strong match out of just about anybody and can put other wrestlers over while still looking like a star himself.

As for the others, I think Heath Slater has the most potential. Slater has demonstrated that he's got personality, the problem is that he's consistently been put into gimmicks in which he comes off more as a comedy guy. With the right storyline and ditching the various aspects of his character that make him seem harmless, Slater could be a genuine star in WWE. As I said, he's got the personality and he's quite good in the ring. Now all he needs is the right direction.

Justin Gabriel is someone that's a lot of fun to watch in the ring. He's fast, he's agile and he has a high flying style that's just entertaining. Much like Slater, Gabriel is someone that's had little to no real direction throughout much of his career. He formed an entertaining tag team with Tyson Kidd before Kidd was injured. In the end, I don't see Gabriel going any higher than the tag team or mid-card picture.

I think David Otunga is doomed to wander the wastes of Mid-Card Hell. Part of the reason, in my opinion, is that Otunga really isn't all that good. At best, he's average inside the ring and I find his work on the mic to be pretty dry. He has a great look and I do think he has charisma waiting to be channeled, but his bodybuilding lawyer routine are DOA.

My pick is the obvious one in Ryback. Ryback has already emerged as one of the top faces in the WWE in just a little time and I expect he will gain even more momentum as he matures his character over time. During Ryback's first few months in the WWE, he's already been more over than any other former Nexus member combined (with the exception of Daniel Bryan). With the way he's been booked thus far, I wouldn't be surprised to see him pushed towards the Main Event picture and the WWE Championship once Wrestlemania is done and over with. His future is beyond bright.

Next would be the obvious Daniel Bryan. With a simple 'Yes' or 'No', Daniel Bryan is another member of the former Nexus who's managed to get himself more over than just about any other WWE Superstar currently on the active roster. With time, Daniel Bryan is bound to become one of the top superstars in the WWE. To agree with Jack-Hammer;
I think Daniel Bryan is going to be the next Chris Jericho. He's someone that I see as an upper mid-card mainstay who will make occasional trips into the main event picture.
Daniel Bryan and Chris Jericho remind me so much of one another. Both are technically sound and can play their respective characters to perfection. While Bryan isn't as great on the mic as Jericho, Bryan can certainly keep the crowd in the palm of his hand in other ways. By that, I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel Bryan replaced Chris Jericho once Jericho's time is up as an active WWE superstar. Chris Jericho has made a career out of putting other WWE Superstars over in the best of ways. With Bryan's ability to perform, he can fit that role perfectly. With that ability to move up to the main event picture at call, I'm sure he'll go far in the WWE.

Last one worth a mention is Wade Barrett. While he's not as over as the first two, he is without a doubt someone the WWE seems to be invested in and I can certainly see why. Barrett never seems to disappoint me whether on the mic or wrestling in the ring. He is someone who will be a World Champion in the future. Being featured prominently on both Raw and Smackdown every week will certainly help Wade Barrett. Being trusted to help a young kid get over like Bo Dallas really shows how much the WWE higher ups like Wade Barrett. I cannot see him surpassing Ryback or Daniel Bryan in importance to the WWE roster but he'll definitely be successful.

Then you have a superstar like Justin Gabriel. He's such a phenomenal wrestler. If anyone has seen this guy wrestle down in FCW, you'll know how great he can work a match. However, without character and based on his current direction in the WWE, I don't see him amounting to much other than an occasional midcard feud. Same goes for Michael McGillicutty. It seems Triple H has got a hard on for McGillicutty and if he's repackaged into Joe Hennig, I could see a little light shined on him. But, as history has taught us, you cannot simply live in your father's shadow and stay relevant in the WWE – ask Ted DiBiase. David Otunga has a nice gimmick, but hasn't showed much improvement in the ring. Not to mention David Otunga hasn't been seen in months. Daren Young seems to have a nice comfortable spot as one half of the Prime Time Players. Other than a tag team title run, he'll do nothing significant. Husky Harris is another favorite of mine but he has a future that's hard for me to predict. His Bray Wyatt gimmick is just amazing to me; probably my favorite gimmick in the last couple of years. Why the WWE hasn't called him up already is beyond me. While he's still down in NXT, it's pretty much impossible to see how his future will go in the WWE or if even the WWE audience will accept his gimmick.

Last but certainly not least is Heath Slater. There's a reason I've devoted an entire paragraph to him. Heath Slater has always been one of my favorite unused guys on the roster. His potential is beyond great. Slater’s is severely underrated both in and out of the ring. Recently I attended a house show and it reminded me why I fell in love with Heath Slater in the first place. He knows how to work a crowd like very few. So much so, that he was arguably the most hated heels of the night. I have always said that if given the right character, Heath Slater can launch himself right into relevancy. While management is interested in him enough to give him a ten minute spot in each Raw or Smackdown, I don’t think their as serious about him as I want them to be. As my faith is little in management, I don’t see Heath Slater getting out of jobbing to the stars week in and week out. He’s great at it but he can do so much more.

Through all of that, the first three are sure fire future main event players within the WWE and I wouldn't bet against them. Ryback, Daniel Bryan and Wade Barrett; their futures are brighter than ever.

i think ryback has the biggest future becuz he is huge, hes dominant, hes something we havent seen in a long time

wade barret also has a big future he is a great heel, plus hes fough every major player alredy

not sure if skip schefied is ryback

Ryback's push was too big anf too agressive. They were hoping for a Goldberg or Lesner, and ended up turning off fans due to cramming him down their throat.

Similarly, Bryan's title reign came too soon and is now firmly embedded in a comic relief role.

Barret's the guy that I could see being properly utilized, working his way back up the ladder with a possible face turn at some point. IMHO, this is how it should always be done. In the past it was exciting to see guys like Goldberg and Lesner's juggernautic rise to the top, but now that giving guys the title too soon is becoming the norm (Bryan/Sheamus/DelRio to name a few,) it's no longer special.

Edge is a good example of the right way. Spent a few years working his way up, became a fan favorite due initially to his bad ass matches with the Hardy boys, and later added charisma and was rewarded for it several years later without being agressively pushed on the fans.

Two years ago we saw the debut of the faction known as the Nexus on RAW when they beat down John Cena and everybody else who stood in there way. That debut night in Bridgeport, Connecticut they were just known as the "NXT8". So that would leave out Daniel Bryan who was apart of the NXT8/Nexus for just that one night before getting kicked out by the NXT8/Nexus. Plus DB is a former WWE world champion so...

The NXT7:

-Wade Barrett

-David Otunga

-Justin Gabriel

-Heath Staler

-Skip Sheffield/Ryback

-Michael Tarver

-Darren Young

And later Joe Henning aka Michael Mugilacutty & Husky Harris joined the faction. But in your own opinion. Which former Nexus star has the brightest future in the WWE?

Well that's easy at the moment it is SHeffield aka Ryback. His ability to squash, size and ability to get over has gotten him to the point of the semi main event level. I would have said previously Barrett, but his finisher is just totally unbelievable as a true finisher. He needs to get rid of the elbow.

Well that's easy at the moment it is SHeffield aka Ryback. His ability to squash, size and ability to get over has gotten him to the point of the semi main event level. I would have said previously Barrett, but his finisher is just totally unbelievable as a true finisher. He needs to get rid of the elbow.

I agree his finisher is weak, and so was wastelands. He needs something different I just can't figure out what.

I think Ryback will be the first of the bunch to become World/WWE Champ, but for longevity, Wade Barrett will have the most successful/decorated career.

IMO Barrett will be most successful I think he might already have been WHC had he not got a bad injury when he did.

how about husky harris? i think his Wyatt family thing is much more entertaining than zeb coulter and swagger. but besides that
Ryback - feed me more! he will forever fight the shield. i love it.
Barrett - i think his career is on the decline. i expect him to wallow in midcard hell. doomed to a career full of kofi kingston matches
slater - i hated everything about his face and hair. but can he sell a squash match. overtime i have really started to enjoy his little gimmicks. 3mb is so stupid, but i do enjoy watching them lose.
otunga - he can't get boos.
gabriel -wwe likes him, he just cant get out of the lower card

If it was up to me who would be getting the push, I would say Wade Barrett. Being British myself, I find Barrett to be more exciting to watch than those who aren't British. Not saying he doesn't have fans outside of the UK, but if I am truthful, he isn't that intriguing to watch, nothing really stands out about him. Perhaps it is my bias opinion, but I remember seeing him in 2010, leading the Nexus, thinking this guy is going places. In the first six months of being on the main roster, he headlined SummerSlam alongside six other hopeful individuals against seven of the greatest WWE had to offer; John Cena, Bret Hart, Chris Jericho and Edge to name a few. Randy Orton and the WWE Championship hunt soon came. Barrett even made Cena a member of the Nexus for a short while. This was short lived and in the end, the Corre was a massive fail, even more so was the lack of TV time he has been getting. Sure, now he is Intercontinental Champion, problem solved. But no. Nothing. I really had high hopes, but it is clear other guys are going to surpass him.

Ryback, also known as Skip Sheffield, would never have been considered the number one pick for this. But as of late, he has really come on and has shown his immense power and strength, but also he isn't too bad in the ring. Sure, he is a little generic, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing if he can still wow people. Even though his current run of losing matches is tarnishing his push slightly, a good showing and possibly a win at WrestleMania 29 will put him right back up there. A future WWE Champion for sure. I know he wasn't saying this a year, two years ago, but that ankle injury was a huge, huge blessing in disguise.

The former Nexus Stars that have the brightest future in the WWE are Daniel Bryan, John Cena and CM Punk. As a matter of fact, these 3 so far have the brightest present in comparison to the rest of the Nexus, New Nexus, and Corre.

Now, if we’re not including all 13 members, and only going with the NXT 7, then I would have to say Wade Barrett. He’s already a 2 time Intercontinental Champion. That’s 2 more singles Titles then the rest of the Nexus, except for Bryan, Cena, and Punk, of course.

After Barrett, I’d say David Otunga, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, and Michael McGillicutty have a pretty good future as long as they don’t mess up and are future endeavored.

I would add Skip Sheffield to the list, but I don’t want to assume anything just yet.

Going over the list I have to say Nexxus is pretty impressive and is the future of the WWE
Daniel Byan was in there as well

-Wade Barrett Future World Champ

-David Otunga People hate on him but he's got great charisma good mic skills great wrestling look He need to work on in ring but that will come with experience A black wrestler who can speak well Haven't seen it since the rock

-Justin Gabriel Mid carder or tag

-Heath Staler I could see him as IC or US

-Skip Sheffield/Ryback Future WOrld Champion

-Michael Tarver Had much potential mistake by WWE

-Darren Young Great job PTP is great

1. Wade Barrett. (He has what it takes to be a maineventer, he just needs a better finisher, a better theme song, and a babyface character where he hands roses to the ladies, and when he wins he shoves down the roses in his opponents throat or face).

2. Daniel Bryan. (Very talented, but he needs to add some power moves in his matches. He better have a serious character that can make anyone tap out, he will be so over easily. With that saying he also needs a badass theme song, and should dress like Chris Benoit)

3. Ryback. (I dont like him, but he will be perfect for SD to go for the WHC, his character is supportive to the casual).

This question's answer is fairly obvious. The fact that Barrett is holding the Intercontinental Title right now and Ryback has been one of the fastest rising stars in the past several years should give you the answer.

Slater can be left to all the super marks popping for his goofy character, D.Young is in a slowly failing PTP tag team and Gabriel and Otunga have been in purgatory for God knows how long.

Don't expect it to be changing any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back