Which film is the best in the George A. Romero "Of The Dead" series?

Wolf Pac

Mid-Card Championship Winner
night_of_the_living_dead.jpg

Starring: Duane Jones, Judith O'Dea, Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman, Keith Wayne, Judith Ridley, Kyra Schon
Plot: The plot of the film follows Ben Huss, Barbra, and five others, who are trapped in a rural farmhouse in Pennsylvania and attempt to survive the night while the house is being attacked by mysteriously reanimated ghouls, otherwise known as zombies.

dawn%20of%20the%20dead%20poster%20.jpg

Starring:David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, Gaylen Ross
Plot: A pandemic of unknown origin has caused the reanimation of the dead, who prey on human flesh, which subsequently causes mass hysteria. The cast features David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger and Gaylen Ross as survivors of the outbreak who barricade themselves inside a suburban shopping mall.

day+of+the+dead.jpg

Starring: Lori Cardille, Terry Alexander, Joseph Pilato, Richard Liberty
Plot: A small group of military officers and scientists dwell in an underground bunker as the world above is overrun by zombies

LandOfTheDeadPoster.jpg

Starring: Simon Baker, Dennis Hopper, Asia Argento, Robert Joy, John Leguizamo
Plot: The story of Land of the Dead deals with a zombie assault on Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where a feudal-like government exists. The survivors in the film have fled to the city. The city is protected on two sides by rivers and on the other by an electric barricade.

Diary_of_the_Dead_one_sheet.jpg

Starring: Shawn Roberts, Joshua Close, Michelle Morgan, Joe Dinicol, Philip Riccio, Scott Wentworth, Amy Lalonde, Tatiana Maslany
Plot: Diary of the Dead follows a band of people making a horror film at the time of the first outbreak who decide to record the epidemic incident documentary-style and end up themselves being chased down by zombies.

survival-of-the-dead.jpg

Starring: Alan van Sprang, Kenneth Welsh, Kathleen Munroe, Rodie Sana, Richard Fitzpatrick, Athena Karkanis, Stefano Collaciti
Plot: On an island off the coast of North America, local residents simultaneously fight a zombie epidemic while hoping for a cure to return their un-dead relatives back to their human state.​

Dawn of the Dead, with Night a close second.

Dawn was great from start to finish, with an assortment of characters you could quickly switch between empathising with them then despising soon after.

The social commentary about how malls/shopping centres are turning consumers into zombies was right on the money and still relevant today. Most of the series have some social commentary added to them which is what makes the series quite strong (up to Land at least).

It has to be Dawn of the Dead. Great premise, great message about American consumerism, plus Goblin composed at least portions of the score, Romero involved the Argento brothers in the film's production, and it inspired some of the greatest Italian zombie films of all time.

Night of the Living Dead is probably the most important modern American horror film ever made, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Day of the Dead (probably because it's so much bleaker than the rest of the films in the franchise).

I've gotta say I love Day Of The Dead the most. Something dark about it that seemed more appealing than the others. Although Dawn and Night are tied for number two.

I liked the original Dawn of the Dead. Although Day of the Dead was a great addition to the franchise. I'm not really a big fan of the newer of the dead movies. They just don't have the same scare element as the older ones did.

I also really liked the more modern remake Romero did in 1991 with Night of the Living Dead. Of course, Tony Todd was a better lead than the original Night guy was. Monster Vision on TNT was a great weekly show that should've lasted longer. Of course, modern people are stuck with the horrible Chiller channel that does crappy original movies that suck so badly that any past horror features on other channels looked better by comparision.

I also really liked the more modern remake Romero did in 1991 with Night of the Living Dead. Of course, Tony Todd was a better lead than the original Night guy was. Monster Vision on TNT was a great weekly show that should've lasted longer. Of course, modern people are stuck with the horrible Chiller channel that does crappy original movies that suck so badly that any past horror features on other channels looked better by comparision.

I agree with your thoughts.. Monster vision was a good show. But some horror movies are also good. Though I am planning with my friends to watch tucker and dale vs evil movie. That movie has some nice facts and story as i find. Rest I can just hope that the movie will be good. But We can't ignore this fact that some movies are also really good and worth watching. Like I can take the example of scream 4 and the various other movies that are shared over here..

From my opinion it's Survival of the Dead.
Awesome movie.Although i watch it's all movies but this one is of mine fav. movie.

id say night of ther living dead ''theyre coming to get you barbara''

and i liked land of the dead good memories of seeing that on the opening night with my girlfriend

i watched diary of the dead a couple months ago didnt know what i would think about it
but it was actually good

I personaly have to think that it's day of the dead. That is the most important one in my eyes. It shows everything, a small band of survivors going into hiding trying to find the cure for it. You have a man literaly drove to the point of insanity by the zombies, and another is actually out of it in Dr. Frank.

It shows what the human race will do to end the plague. We will try and find a cure for it or try and in this case tame it.

It also shows what shitty leadership in this situation will cause.

In my eyes the other movies were just, get a gun and board up the house/mall. Nothing really cool there. I love Dawn of the dead don't get me wrong. But if you want to look at a zombie movie like it can happen none of the movies will help you. Day of the dead shows what might really actually happen.

id say night of ther living dead ''theyre coming to get you barbara''

and i liked land of the dead good memories of seeing that on the opening night with my girlfriend

i watched diary of the dead a couple months ago didnt know what i would think about it
but it was actually good

I think I watched Diary a year or so ago, was kinda stoned so can't really remember it all that well and then watched The Crazies (remake) afterwards, but I do remember being quite impressed with Diary. Might try and watch it again sober to see how it holds up.

Land was cool for the simple fact it was the only film of the series I've seen in the cinema and had Dario Argento's daughter in a prominent role which was a nice touch.

Really hard question for me because I love them all (the original three anyway). I don't have a bad word to say about any of the first three films but my favourite overall is Day of The Dead... It is probably my favourite film of all time. It is darker than the rest in my opinion and has a real uncomfortable feeling throughout. It also includes Bub so that swings it for me. George Romero is brilliant. His latest films are all ok but have nothing on the classics.

I'll always have a soft spot for the original Night but I'll have to say the 91' remake was better.The original Dawn was also excellent because of it's sumbliminal message in that we put too much stock in consumerism.

Night of the Living Dead might be the most important but Dawn of the Dead is the best film. It has everything you could want in a film, horror, drama, bad guys, comedy and a message that applies to everyone watching it.

1. Dawn of the Dead

2. Night of the Living Dead
Really the classic horror movie and incredibly important for everything that followed it. Also features one of the greatest cinematic endings I've ever seen and elevates the film from great horror to a stone-cold classic. That final bullet carries the message of what the real danger is.

3. Land of the Dead
Love this one really but no-one else seems to. Romero goes Hollywood and finally gets a decent budget to make a polished film with some outstanding actors, including a scenery-chewing Dennis Hopper. The evolution of the Zombies that started in Day continues.

4. Day of the Dead
Really could have been awesome, should have been awesome but it was killed by budget cuts and some utterly atrocious acting. The idea of Science Vs The Military and Heal Vs Harm was a fantastic idea that I felt just didn't get explored enough, though it did give us the greatest zombie ever, Bub.

5. Survival of the Dead
Quite enjoyable but a bit silly in parts. Also a real missed chance to explore the right to life issue which was abandoned in favour of an Irish allegory.

6. Diary of the Dead
On first watch I just didn't enjoy it. The characters were little more than meatsacks, the camcorder was annoying, the acting was bad and I hated that Romero had gotten away from the timeline. I've since gone back and watched again and it's not as bad as I remember but it's still the weakest of the 6.

Oh and to the people claiming the Night remake was better than the original... I pity you. * Shakes head *

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back