The Walking Dead Season 2

Shane is the saving grace of this entire season so far; I'm actually kind of surprised there's so much hate being sent his direction.

As it's been previously stated, he's the only one with the proper survival mentality. It's kill or be killed, the most primitive level of survival; and Shane is or should I say was the only one on board.

Did anyone actually care about that little girl being lost, they spent half a season searching for her for nothing. I was definitely disappointed that they didn't kill off one of the many annoying adults from this season; the three main female leads are all annoying and I was really hoping one of them would be offed by the mid season break... actually lets make that 4, I completely forgot about the Asian kids new squeeze, wow is that broad annoying; because there's nothing like pointless female relationship drama to really get that zombie apoc feel. The old crusty needs to go as well, hiding the fucking guns, why not cut off your testicles and hide them with the guns, cause your nothing more than a bitch anyways.

So all in all, the only thing I really liked about this half of the season was Shane's transformation, well that and the delicious Merle cameo. Here's to hoping half the cast gets taken out in the second half of the season.

I imagine Shane to be the type of person who would shoot Lori in the head because she's pregnant & slowing them down, after all he basically did the same thing to Otis.

Yes, but while he might shoot Lori because she was slowing down the whole group, he shot Otis strictly to save himself. After all, due to Shane's leg injury at the time, Otis was moving better than he was and it's possible that both of them could have avoided the walkers and escaped. Face it, Shane might be a survivor-type, but he proved he's not the man to lead a group; he'll sacrifice any and all of them to save himself.

davi323 said:
I do disagree with Rick not being able to adapt though...he was the one who did what had to be done at the end, not Shane, no matter how unpleasant it was.

I'm not sure Rick did the shooting because no one else was capable. I think he did it because he needed to; after all, Rick was the one who had kept his party chained to the farm because he wanted to save Sophia. It was as if the leader of the group had been proven wrong and now needed to take the necessary, final step to rectify it. Personally, I think Shane could have finished Sophia with no trouble, but he had the sense to step aside and let Rick do what had to be done.

The dynamic between Rick and Shane sure makes us look forward to the new episodes in February, no?

It was a great show last night. I'm pumped for the rest. I was so damn sad when Sophia came out. Her mom had to see her get shot. I am wondering how long they had Sophia in the barn. It would be a shocker if it was only a few days.

Well Otis was the one that used to wrangle the Walkers, so had Shane not killed Otis we may have known, also Darryl probably wouldn't have gotten shot in the head, fallen down a cliff, & nearly killed himself looking for her.

I think the reason a lot of people hate Shane is due to the fact that he's letting everything turn him into exactly what they are fighting, a blood thirsty monster. The only difference is that instead of being a blood thirsty monster that just eats people, he's a blood thirsty monster killing other blood thirsty monsters to survive, & if push comes to shove, he'll kill anything else in his way as well. Shane is losing any humanity he had left. I'm amazed at how many people don't realize that the show isn't about the zombie apocalypse, it's about the human condition, & how that changes once the world goes to shit, do you let the world bring you down with it, or do you fight & try to hold onto that thing that separates the humans from the monsters?

I think the reason a lot of people hate Shane is due to the fact that he's letting everything turn him into exactly what they are fighting, a blood thirsty monster. The only difference is that instead of being a blood thirsty monster that just eats people, he's a blood thirsty monster killing other blood thirsty monsters to survive, & if push comes to shove, he'll kill anything else in his way as well. Shane is losing any humanity he had left. I'm amazed at how many people don't realize that the show isn't about the zombie apocalypse, it's about the human condition, & how that changes once the world goes to shit, do you let the world bring you down with it, or do you fight & try to hold onto that thing that separates the humans from the monsters?

I get that...but given the situation that they are in, I think Shane's reaction is probably far more realistic. Yeah, it's great to hold on to your ideals...but when you are running for your life away from flesh eating zombies, do your ideals really matter? Shane may be turning into a complete asshole...but if that is what it takes to ensure the survival of the human race, then that is what it takes.

Essentially, it is unfair to judge Shane only using a moral compass that is based entirely in a world that exists pre-zombie apocalypse. We simply do not understand what that world they live in is like.

Was what he did to Otis really wrong? Otis was slowing them down. If he had to keep waiting for Otis, the zombies would have gotten them both. If he had shot himself to slow down the zombies, with Otis's injuries, he still wouldn't have gotten away. Shane was carrying the medication. If he dies, Otis would not only have to catch up to Shane, but then use up time to grab the dufflebag with the meds in it. he was already losing ground to the zombies. If Shane dies, Otis dies too, and so would Carl because he never got the medication he needed. Otis was not going to survive regardless, so they still wouldn't have known about Sophia being in the barn.

It was a tough choice Shane had to make, but when you look at the alternative, did Shane make the wrong choice? It was either 1 dead, or all 3 dead. You give me that choice, between one person dying to serve a greater good or three people dying for no reason, I would probably make the same choice.

Was what he did to Otis really wrong? Otis was slowing them down.

Your point is well taken, but consider: if Shane felt Otis was slowing him down, why did he have to shoot him? Why not just run ahead and leave Otis to fend for himself?

I'll tell you why: Because if Shane leaves Otis behind and gets the medication back to the farm.....yet Otis manages to survive and get home himself, he's going to let everyone know that Shane abandoned him. Maybe Otis will even go after Shane himself.

Shane couldn't take that chance, so he shot Otis to ensure the man had no chance. And that's pathetic. If Shane thought he did the right thing, why did he hide the truth?

That was one hell of a finale. All of the waiting and sitting through countless dialogue finally paid off. I thought that there would be a chance that Sofia would come back as zombie but never imagined she would be stuck in the barn the whole time, or would be revealed so soon. I'm glad that they finally got that out of the way. It was pretty vicious to see Shane go crazy and kill all the zombies. Its fitting that Rick would be the won to kill Sofia after her transformation. I'm glad we finally have a breakout character in Shane. Most of the characters just blend together besides Dale.

I wonder how Hershel will react to seeing his whole family killed. Can anyone really blame him for not wanting a bunch of strangers in his house taking his food, water, and medicine? They are good for protection, but if it is his house so if he doesn't want day walkers killed you can't really go against that if you are guests at his house. Anyway, great mid season finale. I hope the mid season premiere in February will kick off with a bang right where it left off,

I get that...but given the situation that they are in, I think Shane's reaction is probably far more realistic. Yeah, it's great to hold on to your ideals...but when you are running for your life away from flesh eating zombies, do your ideals really matter? Shane may be turning into a complete asshole...but if that is what it takes to ensure the survival of the human race, then that is what it takes.

Essentially, it is unfair to judge Shane only using a moral compass that is based entirely in a world that exists pre-zombie apocalypse. We simply do not understand what that world they live in is like.

Was what he did to Otis really wrong? Otis was slowing them down. If he had to keep waiting for Otis, the zombies would have gotten them both. If he had shot himself to slow down the zombies, with Otis's injuries, he still wouldn't have gotten away. Shane was carrying the medication. If he dies, Otis would not only have to catch up to Shane, but then use up time to grab the dufflebag with the meds in it. he was already losing ground to the zombies. If Shane dies, Otis dies too, and so would Carl because he never got the medication he needed. Otis was not going to survive regardless, so they still wouldn't have known about Sophia being in the barn.

It was a tough choice Shane had to make, but when you look at the alternative, did Shane make the wrong choice? It was either 1 dead, or all 3 dead. You give me that choice, between one person dying to serve a greater good or three people dying for no reason, I would probably make the same choice.

They were both doomed on their own, with Shane's injury and Otis lack of fitness. The zombies would have caught up to either of them at their pace. As you said, it was either 1 dead or all 3 dead. The only way that any of them could survive was for one of them being the decoy/bait. Shane saw it earlier because of his experience in this world while Otis lack of experience doomed him. Shane making the decision without Otis's consent is why it was a debatable decision. Basically Shane took advantage of Otis's naivety to live on. This behaviour is seen in reality as well and we loathe/admire it just as well. The show just magnified the consequences.

Is there a better time to be a horror fan? The answer for me is a resounding no! While the big studios struggle to make huge profits with horror and the cineplex television has become a new home for horror hounds and Bidites everywhere. The Walking Dead season 2 started off with a barrage of questions that were left unanswered. How would the show operate with the firing of producer Frank Darabont. Would the cast respond to all the changes that took place to the writing staff? Well after last nights mid-season finale fans like myself finally got our answer. And the answer left my mouth open and begging for more.

Not only did the second season pause with a strong episode 7 it pulled in insanely high ratings to the tune of over 6.6 million viewers. While this wasn't the season finale, the show will pick up right were it left off in February on 2012, the ending proved once again that while fans might not be treated to an all out zombie fest, the true story lies in great storytelling and the tugging of emotions as season 7 ends with one of the best climaxes I have seen on film and TV in a long time.

The show has no where to go but up in my opinion and while The Walking Dead may have its detractors, it's strong ratings prove that the masses, including non die-hard horror geeks such as myself, can be pulled in with great narrative and even greater displays of "walkers" being dispatched in droves.

With FX's American Horror Story doing equally as well the future for horror on the "boob tube" looks to be brighter than ever and gives hope that horror can finally strive while having lulls at theaters. No longer is horror something that needs to be centered around October or Halloween, now we can experience great storytelling and gripping horror at home where many of us enjoy it in gorgeous 1080P and surround sound systems that revival some of the multiplexes.

If you're not a fan of The Walking Dead this last episode may be enough to pull you in. Don't expect thousands of mindless zombies walking around, expect detailed storytelling and beautiful character development that literally puts you on the farm with Rick and the others as the world has literally gone to hell.

Frank Darabont may be gone but his legacy lives on in a television show that is breaking barriers and causing horror to become one of the top topics at the water-cooler. More horror is never a bad thing and with the television ratings on the rise it looks like the future is very bright even if we have to shoot a few "walkers" to get there.

xqeumx.jpg

Heartbreaking end to episode was close to tears, I had a sick feeling in my stomach when I heard that faint moan from the barn and everyone just waited to see what would come out. I also felt sick when they shot all the walkers, even though they were sick it felt kinda vicious the way they just cut them down. so sad
can't wait till it starts again.

Having read the first two volumes of the graphic novel, it's clear to see where the differences are and how they've developed since they've got to the farm. They did a part slightly out of sequence with the suburb that Shane and Andrea went to.

I think I've enjoyed the graphic novels more though because the earlier ones don't seem to be moving as slow as the TV series does. I mean Herschel's farm was done with so much quicker and wasn't even a factor in the volumes earlier on. Also, the drama was a lot different with the zombies escaping from the barn.

Well, we had the Season 2 mid-season premiere this Sunday...

A few thoughts:

Kind of surprised at the reaction Rick had when it came to meeting the two people from another group in the bar in town...Was not the Rick I expected. Would have made total sense had it been Shane, but not necessarily Rick. Not going to say exactly what it was to avoid spoiling it for those that haven't had a chance to watch yet, but could it be a possible sign that Rick is finally "getting it"? That it's survival of the fittest, not survival of the politest?

I am even more surprised by Herschel's complete non-reaction to it. Either he is just still in shock over what happened at the barn, or he realizes that his way of thinking may be outdated, and actually approved somewhat of what Rick did, and they have put aside their differences to defend what they both deem their shared turf?

I liked the fact that they took the time to bury the dead barn zombies of the people they could at least recognize.

Didn't like the whole Carol is picking flowers in the meadows as a way to cope for the loss...that was kind of lame, and seemed out of step with the rest of the episode.

Glad Dale figured out Shane intentionally left Otis to die as a diversion, but also glad that nobody believes him. I have to admit, Dale just annoys the hell out of me, and as I mentioned before, I really don't have a problem with what Shane did anyway. It was a no-win situation, and he chose the only solution that would allow Carl the chance to live.

Not thrilled about Lori's car crash. Am I supposed to be frightened for her, that she could be pinned down and in grave danger, or should I be skeptical and think it's just a cheap ploy to write out the inconvenient pregnancy? From what I have read, the TV show diverges significantly from the graphic novels, so the pregnancy is not a sure thing that they can't simply change to suit their needs.

Kind of surprised at the reaction Rick had when it came to meeting the two people from another group in the bar in town...Was not the Rick I expected.

I think Rick has been deeply affected by what happened with Sophia. More than any of the others, he was responsible for continuing the search for her. Shane, for all his faults, wanted to move on and put the farm behind them.....and he was right, at least about Sophia. That Rick put an end to the poor kid showed what a fine man he is, but there's been a subtle change in him since the barn incident and I think it showed through in meeting those guys in the bar.

Not thrilled about Lori's car crash. Am I supposed to be frightened for her, that she could be pinned down and in grave danger, or should I be skeptical and think it's just a cheap ploy to write out the inconvenient pregnancy?

I don't know about feeling sorry for her, but I doubt they're writing out the pregnancy. After all, a big part of the storyline features whether the unborn kid is Shane's or Rick's......and if they end the pregnancy, the whole question goes for naught. Yes, with no DNA testing available in this new reality, they may never know who the kid belongs to, but it's a point of contention among these three people that shouldn't be cut off by a car crash. I mean, why have her get pregnant in the first place?

Lori is a case, isn't she? She should have told Rick about her affair with Shane, for gosh sake. It's a logical enough explanation, isn't it? She and Shane thought he was dead. Yes, Rick won't like it and will rightfully ask why she had to be so damn quick about running to Rick's best friend, but Lori owes it to her husband to come clean.

I really enjoyed this mid season premiere. We actually got to see some action away from the barn. It was nice to see some more character development with Hershell losing hope drinking while Rick shoots two people in the bar that just wanted to join their clan. I thought that we would actually see the two drifters come to the barn with Rick and the clan, but I guess we can cancel that story. I'm sure they will find Lori from the crash in critical but stable condition. I just don't want to see another character bed ridden all season like last year.

It will be interesting to see how Rick and the gang will be able to get out of the barn with the drifters friends waiting on the outside and what Lori's condition is. Of course I'm waiting to see Shane go crazy and kill another person on the farm as well.

I really enjoyed this mid season premiere. We actually got to see some action away from the barn. It was nice to see some more character development with Hershell losing hope drinking while Rick shoots two people in the bar that just wanted to join their clan. I thought that we would actually see the two drifters come to the barn with Rick and the clan, but I guess we can cancel that story. I'm sure they will find Lori from the crash in critical but stable condition. I just don't want to see another character bed ridden all season like last year.

It will be interesting to see how Rick and the gang will be able to get out of the barn with the drifters friends waiting on the outside and what Lori's condition is. Of course I'm waiting to see Shane go crazy and kill another person on the farm as well.

Well, let's be fair...he didn't just shoot them because they wanted to join the clan...it was a tense situation and the one guy made a move for his gun. It wasn't entirely random. The fact that the one reached for his weapon indicates to me that perhaps their intentions for wanting to see the farm weren't entirely noble, and Rick picked up on it. I expect that they were triggering his Spidey-Sense™.

I loved Rick doing that to end the episode. And I think it'll be great to see what happens with the other people that those two guys had with them.

But I'm also very anxious to see a confrontation between Shane and Rick. Tensions are running high with the whole group towards Shane and Rick is going to confront him soon and obviously the Lori situation will come up and I am waiting to see how that turns out

This new episode make up for a lackluster first episode back after the break with so much more action and new character development.

The 'good' guys we are made to believe to have a good moral compass have displayed really sinister thinking. Glenn for the first time had something other than his own life to lose, considered self interest over being a team player. Hershel was able to leave men for dead which contradict with his religious beliefs and medical background. Rick as always tried to be the hero but I get the feeling it is more due to his guilt towards not finding Sophia and killing two living men instead of noble intention. Lori who was always supportive, tried to play Rick into getting rid of Shane to eliminate her issues with Shane.

The 'bad' guys were made to look better. The two drifters Rick killed actually had a group to look after, and were just as desperate as them for shelter. Andrea described the decisions that Shane made was the right one and made us sympathetic to why he did what he did.

Looking forward to the next episode with the tension rising between Rick and Shane. And also how Glenn will deal with his relationship with Maggie.

Yeah Episode 9 is my favourite episode of this second series. I mean the pacing issues seem to have gone and everything that was good about the show in it's first (and smaller) series returned in the form of subtle and obvious character shifts and developments.

I like how it's finally becoming more about humanity and how people change and are corrupted when normality fails, rather than just there are zombies and we need to stay alive. I love the graphic novels for that very reason and I hope the rest of the series lives up to that.

What I also loved was how tense the episode felt. I was questioning whether or not a character could die at any moment and every scene where someone found themselves in peril, I thought - they could kill them off here. I know the creative process is very different with the graphic novels and TV but Robert Kirkman's writing style supports a 'no one is safe' approach that TV usually lacks.

Great episode and can't wait for the Rick and Shane showdown next week.

I'm really trying to continue to like this show, but its really hard when I hate almost every single character.

Shane's the only one with balls, but he's such a bastard its impossible to like him.

Rick, Carl, and the wife all need to be hit by a bus full of zombies on fire.

Fuck they annoy the shit out of me. UGH just UUUUGGGHHH!!! Luckily when this seasons over the Killing starts again.

Great episode and can't wait for the Rick and Shane showdown next week.

The writers are doing a good job of keeping Rick in charge but turning him a little more toward Shane's way of doing things each week. Rick has been the man trying to keep some semblance of civilized behavior in their way of life, but now that Dale is gone, it's going to be that much harder to do it. Shane is no leader, but without Dale providing a moral compass, I think more of them are going to be looking to Shane to take charge.

Can you imagine if they turned that prisoner loose and he brought back his 30 pals to wipe out Rick's people? Yeah, it won't happen because the show would come to an end, but if they managed to survive, it's hard to believe they'd accept Rick as their leader after that.

The Rick-Shane showdown is just beginning.

I wouldnt say the Rick/Shane showdown is just beginning. It's about to come to an end at the end of this season because Shane I don't know his real name but he's signed on for a new show in the fall called LA Noire so I think his character is going to die or go away.

Interesting factoid: Jon Bernthal, who plays Shane, is married to Kurt Angle's niece, Erin Angle...

Anyway, I am inclined to agree that at some point, Shane is going to be killed off. I do think that he can probably do both shows at the same time, with careful scheduling, but he has indicated in interviews that he thinks Shane has to die in order to progress Rick's character or something.

Jon Bernthal said:
I think it is vital for Rick's character. Shane kept his wife alive but he also slept with her. I think it's very important that Rick feels this betrayal and deals with it one way or another. I don't know if it's necessary but you know, look, I think eventually...that's the story. I think that's how this works out. At some point I think he's gotta go.

IM SO PSYCHED NO IM BEYOND PSYCHED!! this show (along with big bang theory) made me watch tv (other then raw and smackdown) again! i can't wait for season 2 to start!!

Can you imagine if they turned that prisoner loose and he brought back his 30 pals to wipe out Rick's people? Yeah, it won't happen.

I think that's essentially what is going to happen. Anyone who has been following the casting for Season 3 know what (or who) is coming and the trailer for this Sunday appears to show the kid running off.

This Sunday will be the failed hunt for the prisoner
The finale will be Rick and the gang heading off to this new camp. Then all hell is going to break loose.

As for Shane, this story arc is far from finished and I don't expect him to be killed off yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back