The Walking Dead Season 2

What I'm about to speculate in this post could be possible spoilers for people so if you don't want to read them then skip over my post.

Ok with that out of the way I was wondering if anybody on here buys into the theory that every body is already infected by the zombie virus and once they die they will turn into them? Because on some Walking Dead forums(most notably on IMDB) this is a theory that most posters buy into. They think that this is what the doctor(can't remember his name but the dude from the CDC) whispered into Rick's Ear there. Personally I'm not completely sold on it but I'd like to see what other people on here think.

I don't buy the theory that everybody is already infected. That would be too depressing and wouldn't explain why a zombie bite will cause sickness to Jim in season 1. If virus is already in the body I don't think a bite will cause the body to reject the venom etc. etc. Personally I believe he told Rick a 50/50 cure for those bitten from turning, by amputating the infected body part in time. That could explain why so many places were overrun because they tried this cure but it only works 50% of the time and the turned killed the safe zones from within. It would also add a theory from the comics that amputation can prevent turning.

But I understand why many subscribe to that theory. Shane commented on the zombie guards having no bite marks when they were abandoning the kid a few episode ago. They hinted that scratches were enough to turn which could explain why everyone could be infected but not turned until they die.

The name of the show is "the Walking Dead". In my opinion, this is a play on words. The walking dead being referred to may NOT automatically mean the zombies. What do you say when an inmate on death row is being led to the execution chamber? Dead man walking. He isn't dead yet, but he soon will be. It's possible that the walking dead refers to the survivors. They aren't dead yet, but "yet" is the key word there. If it turns out that they are all already infected and just haven't shown symptoms yet, that would make them the walking dead just like the death row inmate headed towards execution. I don't know if I am able to fully subscribe to that theory, but I can easily see it ending up that way...with their attempts to survive ultimately being futile. It's a dark show, and that would be a proper dark ending when the time comes...

We-Are-Walking-Dead.jpg
I think the above sums it up.
As for Shane, fuck 'im. Asshat got what was coming to him. Though Lori really didn't do anyone any favors opening her mouth earlier in the day. Shame Carl wasn't the one to kill him the first time (like he did in the books). Seems a swarm is headed their way, too. Guess the "Hershel's Farm" arc will be ending very soon. I wonder how many will make it out of there and where they'll head to next. The books lay it out pretty straight forward but clearly we can't use them as a source bible. See ya next week.

Tonight's episode confirms that they're following suit with the storyline in the comic where the virus is airborne and everyone is in fact infected with it and it only takes effect upon death, regardless of how it happens.

Shane had died well earlier in the comics, so I wasn't at all surprised to see them kill him off here, but losing Dale and Shane in back-to-back weeks should put some serious duress on the group. Where the death of Dale was likely to unite them out of mourning, Shane's death, though he wasn't well-loved by all, may fracture them again by reminding them just how fragile life is in the world they live in.

All-in-all, color me intrigued. Final few episodes here should be fantastic!

Also, the title "The Walking Dead" is in reference to the survivors, not the actual zombies. This is common knowledge (or should be). Obviously it's a double entendre.

Fuck me. They really are going the route of everybody being already infected. Too depressing. On the other hand, zombie fest in the next episode to look forward to.

Wow. Just wow. Won't give any spoilers but I had chills up and down my spine, jumped out of my seat twice and had cheered massively another time.

Such a gripping and enthralling episode. By far my favourite of the series. The post-break episodes have reinvigorated the series back to what I loved about it in the first series.

So the helicopter from earlier drew the herd to the farm? What a cheesy and lame excuse to magically transport all the zombies onto the farm. They could have followed any of the survivors driving around all day to follow them to the farm. Also, why the heck is T-Dog still on the show? He has almost no lines in the show, no relations to any of the other survivors, serve no purpose to the storyline, and has no expertise that the group could use.

Other than that, it was an awesome action-packed end to the season to remind us that it is still a zombie show. A little disappointed in the herd of zombie's effectiveness. So many of them yet they fail to kill off more characters. No wonder they are hungry all the time.

All my thoughts would be spoilers so click at your own risk.

Man, that episode was epic. Favorite character right now has got to be Andrea. Girl survived out there on her own and someone just found her, governor's henchman? Also, I like this new attitude of Rick, he finally took control of the pack as he was supposed to. Carl and Lori are just piss-offs but still add to the storylines. That last scene MUST be the governor's fortress, idk. I've never read the comic books but I've searched about it online. So yeah, epic episode and this series just keeps getting better and better.

Fantastic fucking finale! Perfect amount of character write-off (combined with the losses of Shane, Dale and Randall from the previous two episodes) and perfect cliffhangers with the debut/teaser of Michonne (the hooded chick with the katana sword) and the Prison fade-away scene.

--

The whole turn for Rick is interesting, though, because as great as it was to see him finally exert authority, he did so in a way that was so reminiscent of the guy he just killed — Shane. I think that's what sort of turned the group off to his having done so. Something of a it's not what you said but how you said it kind of thing, you know?

I think he's right about it all, and he was right not to share the Jenner information with the group, but that's a tough pill to swallow considering everything that just happened. I realize he just hit a breaking point, but that was a poor moment to lay all that on the shoulders of an already fractured and crumbling group.

--

Funny how Lori is becoming one of the easiest characters to hate on the show, too. Weeks before she's basically begging him to kill Shane. Now he does and she's pissed? Go fuck yourself, bitch.

--

Also, just a couple of Season 3 theories from someone who has not read the comics (yet):

1. The Prison is likely going to be a major, major story anchor for the next few seasons. Duh.

2. Just a guess, but with the writer's confirming the return of Merle, I think he's going to be revealed as the leader of Randall's group and Rick's group and Merle's are going to clash violently with Daryl being torn between brotherhood and camaradarie.

3. The confirmation of the helicopter seen in the first season is indicative that there not only is hope, but that there is still a heavy government/scientific presence somewhere, likely along the coast where Rick refused to take the group off the bat.​

So the helicopter from earlier drew the herd to the farm? What a cheesy and lame excuse to magically transport all the zombies onto the farm. They could have followed any of the survivors driving around all day to follow them to the farm. Also, why the heck is T-Dog still on the show? He has almost no lines in the show, no relations to any of the other survivors, serve no purpose to the storyline, and has no expertise that the group could use.

Other than that, it was an awesome action-packed end to the season to remind us that it is still a zombie show. A little disappointed in the herd of zombie's effectiveness. So many of them yet they fail to kill off more characters. No wonder they are hungry all the time.

I agree with this post.

I feel like the show is poorly written, everything else is excellent. The character introduced with a sword, and two pet zombies was pretty stupid in my opinion. Looks like next season is going to be even less about Zombies with their new fortress pretty much eliminating them from the picture for their bland, generic plot taking an even goofier turn with comic book characters.

It may just be me(raised on Romero), but I feel like the show is pretty overrated. Even though it is the best thing on TV right now, that is not saying very much. Some better writing/casting(need some more black people in the group other than the pointless token black dude) to go along with those excellent visuals, solid acting, and stunning settings would push the show over into epic territory.

One gripe I have with the writing is the end of last season. The secret that was wispered into the cop's ear.

They waited until the end of this season to reveal it. They made a big deal out of the way that people were turning into Zombies without actually being bitten by Zombies.

"We are all infected"

"Its airborne"

What?!?!?!

I grew up watching the kind of Zombie films where it didn't matter if you were bitten or not, if you died, you turned into a Zombie. I thought this was common knowledge in the Zombie fan community, but this show tries to make it out to be this big, pivitol, groundbreaking discovery. How does everybody think this all started? Where did the first Zombie bite come from?

I like the kind of Zombie stories where everyone is trying to figure out why the dead are rising as they fight to survive hordes of undead with limited resources(kind of like the episode last night where they started to run out of ammo/fuel/shelter), not the kind where its all about the petty human drama/relationships that plays out, and the traditional Zombie stuff gets lost in the mix(like the fact that all dead bodies rise, whether bitten, or not).

Bad writing for an otherwise great show. Great acting, great visual effects(I like the subtle use of CGI), great settings, excellent production, just piss poor writing.

One gripe I have with the writing is the end of last season. The secret that was wispered into the cop's ear.

They waited until the end of this season to reveal it. They made a big deal out of the way that people were turning into Zombies without actually being bitten by Zombies.

"We are all infected"

"Its airborne"

What?!?!?!

I grew up watching the kind of Zombie films where it didn't matter if you were bitten or not, if you died, you turned into a Zombie. I thought this was common knowledge in the Zombie fan community, but this show tries to make it out to be this big, pivitol, groundbreaking discovery. How does everybody think this all started? Where did the first Zombie bite come from?

I like the kind of Zombie stories where everyone is trying to figure out why the dead are rising as they fight to survive hordes of undead with limited resources(kind of like the episode last night where they started to run out of ammo/fuel/shelter), not the kind where its all about the petty human drama/relationships that plays out, and the traditional Zombie stuff gets lost in the mix(like the fact that all dead bodies rise, whether bitten, or not).

Bad writing for an otherwise great show. Great acting, great visual effects(I like the subtle use of CGI), great settings, excellent production, just piss poor writing.

I thought the same thing but I was reading some The Walking Dead boards and supposedly the writer said that the characters on the show have no idea what zombies are. Like in their world there were no zombie movies or anything like that, which is why you never hear them refer to them as zombies. So to them this is huge news.

What annoyed me is what sharpshooters they all were in the season finale. Anybody that has ever fired a gun before can vouch to the fact that it's not easy hitting a target the size of a human skull from 30+ yards away, especially when you're in a moving vehicle, in the darkness and under a bunch of pressure. Yet every one of them turned into Annie Oakley out there.

"We are all infected"

"Its airborne"

What?!?!?!

You have to have a great hook to keep viewers interested. The Walking Dead did just that by having Jenner of the CDC whispering that into Rick's[the cop's] ear. People complain about this show, but, I cannot find fault with it. Were some of the episodes a little slower and more methodical storytelling? Yes. But, if you watch the series overall so far, you notice it all builds to something. Which alot of shows nowdays don't do.

I thought this was a great twist on the zombie genre. Having the airbourne virus makes survival horror more horror than surviving. Who's to say the first bite was what started it? It could've been airbourne first, with others biting more and so on. The Walking Dead is attempting to be unique and not copy other zombie shows/movies, which is admireable. I hate watching something that is a carbon copy of something else. Walking Dead does real well in this aspect.

In an apocalyptic zombie world, human relationships take on new meaning since people die off quickly. It can't be all shooting and people turning into zombies. I actually admire that executive producer Robert Kirkman stated that these people in the show don't know anything about "zombies". There are no Romero movies in this world and that's why they are called "walkers" & not "zombies". It's a different approach and some people will obviously be upset. Me, personally, I like it. If anything, alot of Romero's films are overrated[I know ALOT of people will hate on that statement, though it's true]. If you go back and watch most of Romero's films, like the original Dawn of the Dead or Day of the Dead it's so god-awful that you cannot wait for it to end. The newer Dawn of the Dead and Night of the living Dead[1991 remake] are MUCH better than Romero's older stuff.

I see this complaint quite often in refrence to The Walking Dead. Honestly, I don't agree. Everything in this show serves as story plot to advancing to the next logical point. It's realistic in it's portrayal, which is why alot of people don't like it. Romero's stuff was more over-the-top and less realistic, which I didn't really like. The Walking Dead is a great show all its own that has a unique concept and great acting. I cannot find fault with it at all and can't wait for season 3. I'm overjoyed that tonight and tommorow are season 3 preview weekend on AMC. There's usually nothing on Saturday nights and Sunday won't have anything until Breaking Bad returns next Sunday. It'll be interesting to see how the show season 3 will compare to the comics.

My only gripe was how the writers had Rick turn into this dictator bastard guy. I know the group sort of turned against him, but I think the reveal about the airbourne stuff is not a big deal. So if you die, you become a walker. Well who cares, you're dead... Stay alive! That's what Rick is trying to do for you, even though most of the group is dead weight like Carol and T-Dog. I guess the story had Rick not only kill but kill his best friend to make him change, but it is now hard to really support him. I guess Season 3 will be about his redemption and bringing him back as a "good guy".

Season 2 had some great parts such as Shane's betrayal, Sophia being in the barn and the threat of not only walkers but other survivors as food and shelter are now becoming sparce.

My only gripe was how the writers had Rick turn into this dictator bastard guy. I know the group sort of turned against him, but I think the reveal about the airbourne stuff is not a big deal. So if you die, you become a walker. Well who cares, you're dead... Stay alive! That's what Rick is trying to do for you, even though most of the group is dead weight like Carol and T-Dog. I guess the story had Rick not only kill but kill his best friend to make him change, but it is now hard to really support him. I guess Season 3 will be about his redemption and bringing him back as a "good guy".

:lol: I think the show creators referred to Rick's turn into a dictator as a "Ricktatorship". :lmao::lmao: I love it! Honestly, people were complaining about Rick's character when he was doing things like looking for Sophia, going after Hershel, and going back for Merle Dixon[Darryl's brother] in Season 1. I think it's a logical progression of the character in an apocalyptic world dealing with what a leader would deal with. Doubt, worry, hatred, fear. It all has basis in reality, which makes the Rick character all the more realistic. Rick killing Shane was provoked by everything Shane did up until Rick did it and also what Lori[Rick's wife] did by mindfucking Rick into saying he was a bad guy, he killed Otis, etc. The only complaint I really have so far with The Walking Dead season 2 was when Lori got mad with Rick in the finale for killing Shane. She kinda pushed for it and then got pissed when Rick finally did it. You can't have it both ways! Which was why I was equally as impressed when Rick told the group to leave if they wanted to or else do what he said. I think he's still struggling with being a leader and I'm intrigued to see where this attitude will lead Rick Grimes in season 3.

Season 2 had some great parts such as Shane's betrayal, Sophia being in the barn and the threat of not only walkers but other survivors as food and shelter are now becoming sparce.

Agreed. I thought the betrayal of Shane was well done and well executed. He lead Rick into the woods and killed Randall[the hostage guy] by snapping his neck. He then ran into the tree to make it appear as if Randall escaped and to get Rick alone in the woods. Of course, after the Otis killing, Shane was primed to explode. He doubted Rick and questioned all of his motives and decisions as leader of the group. His arguements against Rick had valid reasons in them and Shane was a badass.

Sophia being the barn was out of left field to me. I didn't see that one coming and it never would've happen had Shane not torn the barn open to kill the walker Hershel had been keeping locked up. It was a blow to the overall humanity of the group and a well done scene that portrayed the disappointment of Sophia being dead and not alive. That was the biggest part of season 2 and when that happened, I couldn't believe it. When Rick shot her, he became the guy you'll no doubt see in the future. He realized his efforts to save Sophia were in vain and he risked the safety of the group to do so. This element of the show made the weak character of Carol[Sophia's mother] more relevant than she had been previously in season one. She spoke up more and even asked Darryl to leave the group with her in season two finale. Saying Darryl deserved more and was a leader. That kind of foreshadows what we'll probably see in season 3 with Rick and the group going to the prison.

I do like how they are gradually finding other survivors and having to either deal with them or kill them to survive. Again, that's realistic and I cannot wait to see how they change everything going into season 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back