Which Franchise Is More Disappointing? Pirates Of The Carribbean Or Saw?

Which Film Franchise Is More Disappointing?

• Saw

• Pirates Of The Caribbean

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
The Pirates Of The Caribbean franchise has become one of the more well-known film series over the years, and the Saw franchise had some early promise as a worldwide horror phenomenon, but when it comes to the quality of films, both of these series have been very disappointing over the years. But which one is worse? Let's take a look at both franchises. I'll start with Pirates Of The Caribbean:

Pirates Of The Caribbean started out with a bang. The Curse Of The Black Pearl was a very fun fantasy-adventure/action film. The Jack Sparrow character took off, and I was excited to see a new series of films. I didn't have a problem with Dead Man's Chest, but everything took a dive with At World's End. I didn't think it was a horrible film, but everything felt so confusing, and the plot was very unclear most of the time. The same thing can be said about On Stranger Tides, but the performances from Johnny Depp, Ian McShane, and Penelope Cruz saved this film.

You will usually see a good amount of thrilling action scenes in a Pirates film, and Johnny Depp always delivers with the Jack Sparrow character, but the Pirates films don't have the same spark anymore. The stories for At Worlds End and On Stranger Tides felt like such a mess, and the ambiguous endings didn't help anything.

The first Saw film took me by surprise. I can still remember watching the first trailer years ago, and it didn't do anything for me. I thought it was garbage, but a friend wouldn't stop talking about the movie. "You have to see this! It's unreal!" He wouldn't shut up about Saw, so I decided to watch it. Saw 2004 was a nice horror treat, and after watching this film, I became an instant fan of this low budget horror franchise. Saw II was excellent. I loved the verbal dueling between Tobin Bell and Donnie Wahlberg, and this is my favorite film in the entire series. But Jigsaw's health took a turn for the worst in Saw III, and as Jigsaw was on his death bed, the Saw franchise began to die with him.

Saw III was pretty solid, but Shawnee Smith saved this film. The Amanda Young character was a physcotic and dark woman, who was loyal to Jigsaw, and Smith's performance was very good in this film. Jigsaw and Amanda Young died in this film, and while we would see both of these characters in various flashbacks in the next four films, the Saw franchise still didn't feel the same without these two characters, because everyone knew they were dead.

Amanda and Jigsaw were dead, and the decline in quality was noticeable in the third film, but I still had some hope for Saw. Well, my hopes were crushed, because the Saw franchise took a huge dive. Yeah, the deaths were more brutal and gruesome, and the traps became more complex and extreme as the series progressed, but the writers and producers obviously didn't give a damn about the story anymore, because the stories for Saw IV, V, VI, and VII were pretty awful. Each Saw film became more confusing as the series progressed, the pieces to the puzzle were everywhere, and the clusterfuck style cliffhanger endings drove me nuts.

It's a tough choice, but I think I'm going to pick Pirates Of The Caribbean as the more disappointing franchise. Yes. The Saw franchise could've been the next horror phenomenon, but this series sunk into the shitter after Saw III. Also, the year after year release dates begin to hurt this series. Everything would always feel so rushed. This series had become stale, and the constant releases didn't give the fanbase anytime time to breathe. In the early years of this franchise, I would always have that "YES! IT'S HALLOWEEN SEASON! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ANOTHER SAW FILM!." But when Saw V and VI rolled around, I had that "Oh great. It's Halloween time. That means another Saw film will be out soon. Ugh." The Saw film series could see a reboot someday, so they could have a chance at some redemption.

It's a tricky pick, but I went with Pirates for one major reason: this franchise could be sooooo much better. Jack Sparrow has become an iconic character over the years, and Johnny Depp is an outstanding actor, so you always expect something great from him. Each film does feature some very good and solid actors and actresses, the action scenes are usually entertaining, and the premise can always feel intriguing. But this series has become bland, the stories can feel like a mess most of the time, and the Pirates films have developed this bad habit of trying to cram too many characters into one story.

Yes. I know these films are a huge box office success, and the Pirates Of Caribbean franchise is one of the more popular modern day cash cows, but Johnny freakin' Depp is your lead man, the stories actually have some potential, but the screenplays continue to ruin everything. You can do better than this Disney, and Jerry Bruckheimer deserves some of the blame also.

So what's your pick? Saw Or Pirates Of The Caribbean?

Without a doubt I have to say Pirates of the Carribbean, why? For one reason and one reason only, Pirates 4. Yes even though Saw went onto all the way to 7 they were able to continue to be creative throughout the series and have good movies all the way through. While Pirates I enjoyed the first 3 but the 4th was a travesty, dropping Knightly & Bloom to throw in frickin Penelope Cruz was what killed it for me. Also, I thought it was kind of lame how first the Black Pearl is the ship/crew that everyone feared, then Davey Jones and the Flying Dutchman was who everyone feared and then in the fourth we might as well throw in Black Beard and ignore Jones and the Pearl, because Black Beard is the pirate that all pirates fear. I don't know it just seemed a little uncreative, the only thing that I enjoyed in the 4th was Depp, aside from that I did not like it one bit.

Pirates gets this for me.

The first film was pitch-perfect; a family film with an eccentric but brilliant leading character, a token love-story thrown in with 2 good looking actors, a classic villain and great supporting cast. It had humour, action, spectacle and adventure, crucial ingredients for a summer blockbuster. I still love the first film to this day, the rest of the films, not so much.

I went to see the 2nd one the night before my sisters wedding getting the feeling it wouldnt be as good as the first, but it was just so disappointing. The 3rd one was just a clusterfuck of nonsense and I haven't bothered with the 4th.

Saw similarly started off strong with it's first film and gave the horror genre an adrenaline boost it sorely needed. Each year it's continued to churn out sequel after sequel to an audience who still lap it up. The quality has decreased but the key selling point of the graphic horror and elaborate traps/torture methods has remained as the makers know it's what the audience wants. Pirates just over-complicated itself and could have been a lot better than what it is.

I honestly think neither one of these series was a disappointment. If I had to pick then it would be Pirates though because that 3rd film nearly destroyed the series for me. It was awful. I almost skipped out on the 4th film but ended up liking that one and it made up for #3. As others have pointed out, the new characters in #4 did hurt it some, but it was a great film that I enjoyed watching and #3 was far worse while still having the older characters in it.

Saw gets a lot of unfair criticism. It's one of those series that has a TON of things going on. You need to watch the films in order or else nothing comes off as making sense or being a big deal. The only film in the series that comes close to being below average was the second one, and after that they kept getting better with every release. The last two were epic and it was great seeing Hoffman finally get what he deserved 4 movies ago. The storyline of Saw sees everything and everyone fitting together, like a Jigsaw puzzle. You have to watch them in order and possibly more than once to see how epic it truly is. I guarantee that anyone who votes for Saw in here and/or attacks it has not seen the whole series, or anything beyond the first three. It gets better, guys. Give it another chance. It will not disappoint you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back