Where the lines of good taste blurred tonight, again?

I agree, I felt the ringing of the bell to be in extreme poor taste.

Lots of ways they could have made fun of the fired superstars. But everyone knows the tolling of the bell 10 times is for someone who passes away.

It was silly, shameful... and like everything with WWE these days, showed total laziness with the writing. Their writing team is garbage.

The 10 bell salute means something real. In this scripted, soap opera world, it is one of the few things that is real, and give a fan something genuine to respect.

One thing I detest as a fan is that they would go to a new low and say 'oh he (the deceased) would've loved it. Maybe, but for fucks sake leave the few things sacred, sacred.

Rollins doesn't have to do that on a B show to get heat, he already has tons of it. When you run out of ideas, don't go lower kids; thats the lesson.

Now we know that the WWE has never been known for it's good taste, and quite often straddles the line between tastefully done stories and absolute garbage. We has viewers have learned to deal with it by laughing it off and saying "Oh there goes Vince again. He's off his meds." or something like that.

Tonight something happened on Smackdown which I thought crossed the line and was quite offensive. At the beginning of the show Seth Rollins came out and was quite jubilant about the Authority being back, and rightfully so. He got the gift of being put into the title match at the Royal Rumble. Nothing wrong with that. It's what he said and did after that made me wonder, WTF is going on here.

He made mention of the fact that Ryback, Ziggler and Rowan had been fired from their jobs, again he played the perfect heel by laughing about it. It's what he did next that I found offensive. He asked for a 10 second moment of silence and asked the time keeper to ring the bell 10 times in honour of the three men, and their lacklustre careers.

Now they only give the 10 bell salute to wrestlers that have died, as an honour to their lives and what they gave to the company. The last time I looked Ziggler, Ryback and Rowan are still alive, and will probably be back before long. I think that crossed the line of good taste and used what should be the final salute to a wrestler who is no longer alive, as a way to get some heat for himself.

When a wrestler dies the WWE takes it very seriously. Usually the whole roster gathers on stage with Vince and they toll the bell. It's a very moving and emotional and real part of wrestling that thankfully we don't see often.

I personally don't think that something like this should be used just to get heat for a heel, but that just might be me. Your thought's would be appreciated.

This is ridiculous. It's about as offensive and past the line as say, calling someone a loser.

Honestly, this is the same company who buried Paul Bearer in a cement box live on PPV, had a necrophiliac angle between HHH/Kane/ Katie Vick, had Bossman attack Big Show's fathers funeral, an almost 90 year old woman gave birth to a plastic hand and you're worried that a 10 bell salute was stepping over a line? Then by this logic anytime they do it in a movie for a 'dead' actor's character they are stepping over the line.

This is the first time though they've used the 10 bell count to get heat, as long as I've been watching..

I seem to recall, and forgive me if someone already pointed this out, Bossman interrupting a mock ten bell salute to Paul Wight's Dad. I believe he read a poem about how glad he was that Big Show's Dad was dead.

There was that similar incident where Finlay was fired for planning a segment in which Miz would interrupt a playing of the National Anthem.

So yeah, some things are sacred to us but not to whatever drunk monkey isn't having his drafts properly proof-read.

I am not surprised at this, because it is something that Seth would do. It was very stupid of them to do this but what can you expect, the writing has been terrible lately. I think Seth is a great heel but they could use other means to push him. WWE has done a lot of distasteful things in the past but that is why we love them but this was stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back