• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

When Did You Start Liking CM Punk?

SMKM

Occasional Pre-Show
Simple question, I figure it's been long enough for this to be a good question. If there is a similar thread already please just move this into it. But yeah, my question is, when did you start liking Punk? I'm pretty sure not all of us liked him before his now infamous shoot promo. I'm sure there's still people that don't like him now, or just became a fan after he won the WWE title for a second time. Me personally, unlike most I became a fan of his when he started the Straight-Edge Society and had his Charlie Manson/Jesus Christ look going on. I thought it was epic as hell, and before that, when he was a face in ECW, I couldn't stand the guy. I don't know maybe his full heel run just suited me better, and then when he became leader of the New Nexus and had the whole "faith" thing going on I just lost it, his promos were fantastic, and one thing led to another and we're here to this day with him one of the top draws and current WWE champion. So when did you become a punk fan?

I always sort of liked him until he formed Straight Edge Society, that was the peak of my fanhood of Punk. I never liked him any less it's just that everyone started liking him more after he began to shoot.

I've liked Punk ever since he started working in ROH. It's crazy how far this guy has come. His days in ECW was really great. I enjoyed him more as a face than a heel. He's just a guy that I cheer for and it's hard to hate him, in my opinion. However, I didn't really like him when he had his mask. However, he's brilliant in a group. He's a natural born leader, much like Wade Barrett is. So to answer your question, I've always liked Punk since the very beginning. With him now having to carry Raw as Cena is busy with the Rock, he'll just improve even more. I predict one more character change from him, I just don't know what it will be next.

Probably shortly after he debuted in the WWE. I didn't have the internet in my place at the time, so I had no idea about ROH or anything like that.

What intrigued me was when he debuted at One Night Stand, the crowd was chanting his name before he went out to the ring.

That made me sit up and pay attention. "Who is this guy who already has the crowd chanting his name"?

Then, once he started wrestling, I liked his style. He had really good mic skills. I've been a fan ever since.

It also didn't hurt that he comes from Chicago like I do.

2006. Never stopped, even the Straight Edge Society days. I marked out when he taunted Rey's family. Punk was always great. Just thankful Vince finally realizes it.

I started liking him in ROH. Admittedly I didn't care too much for the "New Nexus" though as I feel it didn't really go anywhere before just ceasing to exist entirely

I had only heard about him through the internet but wasn't a fan cause I'd never seen him wrestle. When WWECW began playing Vignettes of him for his debut I knew I should look up some of matches. That was when I became a fan.

The second he stepped into WWE. I followed him in ROH and vowed to support him even when entering WWE with a new boring style. He was a decent wrestler, otherwise there was nothing much to him at first (sort of like my opinion with Daniel Bryan today). But I had faith he'd be great, and his feud with Jeff Hardy officially made him my favorite. From there on he kept getting screwed by WWE as he jobbed to Big Show, Randy Orton, and even more. His feud with Rey Mysterio was OKAY, but I really wanted more from him. His SES gimmick got a bit over the top after the 2009 unfortunately.

And quite honestly, I couldn't have been more than happy when he said he was leaving WWE. For the way they treated him he didn't deserve to lose to crap wrestlers for the 100th time. His match with John Cena (one of the greatest wrestling matches I seen in WWE in a long time) had been the moment where I pledge my loyalty for him. Sure, he's not changing the brand much but he is still golden.

I've liked him since back in his Ring of Honor days. His old school matches against Samoa Joe were to die for!

Though, I must admit, I was never a fan of the Straight Edge Society. I thought it was an awful idea, especially considering who they put into it. A bunch of nobodies round up, that's supposed to be intimidating?

I was extremely happy when he dropped that stupid SES gimmick, but then he went and became the leader of "The New Nexus," which I thought was stupid just like SES, but he didn't really have much to do with the New Nexus. However, I DO think that using The New Nexus was the perfect way to transition him from SES gimmick to the current CM Punk we have now.

I always sort of liked him until he formed Straight Edge Society, that was the peak of my fanhood of Punk. I never liked him any less it's just that everyone started liking him more after he began to shoot.

That's exactly my answer. I hardly knew about ROH back then, didn't watch TNA during Punk's time there either. So when he came to WWE, I didn't like him at first, but he grew on me.. then during the SES, he became one of my favorites. These days though, you can't say you like anyone without them thinking you jumped on a bandwagon, like what happened after his famous "shoot" a while back. :)

I was lucky enough to see CM Punk at indy shows near my hometown back in the early 2000s and jump on the bandwagon back then. I was lucky enough to score front row tickets off of Ticketmaster to the 20th Survivor Series in Philly to chant Punk's name as he stood in the ring with DX and The Hardy Boys. Now he's just winning WWE Titles at the Garden...love it.

I Have always liked punk from IWA-MS, To FIP, to ROH when he ran with the second city saints and their rivalry with the prophecy when they took daniels out for months...(Pepsi Plunge through a table) to His final chapter during the "summer of punk" and of course his current wwe run.

Punk has always been one of my favorite guys.... I think most people just do the cool thing and like those who are only "championship material" but if you look, people didn't like punk until he became champion or did his shoot promos....(which some of his ROH stuff is better.) (for instance look for his promo after he won the ROH title) that was better than most of what he has done now....

His best match that Stand out is his "trilogy" with samoa joe. classic. it was wrestling at its best. so for all of you who are "just starting to like him check some of his old shit out ....

I didnt know about ROH until 2009 so I didn't get a chance to see his old epic matches. Thankfully their Is YouTube for that. When I saw Punk debut in ECW in 06 I think, I saw a guy who had the it factor. He had great charisma, mic skills and incredible ring skills. He had a very underated feud with Morrison and that is when I fell in love with the guy. The only time I disliked him was when he had his S.E.S storyline. But during that time he still managed to have 5 star matches with guys like Mysterio, Morrison and Hardy. I love Punk now more then I ever have, mainly because he acts like himself. Punk continues to amaze me day in and day out and I have yet to see one bad cm punk match. He deserves to be the top guy in the WWE.

I would have to say I became a Punk fan back in his ECW days, I thought that he had that rebelious hardcore spirit that was what made ECW so great and would be part of the next generation to lead the brand, ofcourse that didn't happen but he went on to bigger and brighter things as he is our current WWE Champion. My most memorable recollection of him back then was in the ECW Elimination Chamber match at December To Dismember in 2006, I loved how ruthless and relentless he was even up against massive guys like Big Show, Bobby Lashley and Test, and vets like Hardcore Holly and Rob Van Dam. I remember seeing a fire in Punk that I didn't see in many guys and I knew that one day he would find success, but I must say he's achieved much more than I ever expected, and this is one time where I'm happy to be proven wrong. :blush:

towards the end of his ecw run up until the end of the SES. I loved the SES and after that he fail off and ruined the NEXUS on his way down and now that hes given shoot statements every hour on the hour im back on board.

I haven't seen many roh shows but from what i did see i loved punk then when he came to wwe in ecw i loved him more then came the ses and he continued to grow but the time i truly became a massive fan of his and he became my favourite superstar of all time was when he beat jeff hardy and said see ya later.. Since then i have never questioned my loyalty to the straight edge punk he even inspired me to become straight edge

When I started watching WWE again back in late 2008, I didn't like him very much to be honest. But then during his program with William Regal over the Intercontinental championship I started to warm to him slightly. And then he won Mitb, moved to SD!, and ended up in that great fued with Hardy, and he became my favourite, and he has remained my favourite to this day.

I starting liking CM Punk when I saw him during Cena's entrance at Wrestlemania 22;). Not really that but it was during his ECW that I really started to enjoy watching him. He was much more fresh and exciting than anything else on the show besides extreme rules matches. I was hoping that he would lead a new generation of awesome talent into ECW. That dream died when Bob holly replaced Sabu in the elimination chamber match thus beginning the fall of ECW PT2. Back to Punk he really was awesome from every point of his career then on, I was a huge fan of his when he won his first world title back in 2008. It was a shame that he was not given a good character to have a good run with the belt but would have his break out moment a year later. I never thought he would do much in WWE after getting punted at Unforgiven but WWE gave him another chance and he proved me wrong. All I can say is thank god for that.

I only really started to notice punk when he was injured and ended up doing commentary for a short while, I dunno why but thats really when I took significant notice of CM Punk simply because he was great as a commentator. I really do hope then when he does end up retiring he considers taking a role as a commentator because I think thats a role that he could play really well.

I always liked his wrestling ability, but Punk himself, not so much. I used to couldn't stand seeing him. His character was so generic. Then all of the sudden he turned heel against Jeff Hardy. That's when I started coming around; i really loved his straight edge promos and pointing out Hardy's past. I was finally all in when he came out with the SES. I thought it made him look like a major player until the WWE wouldn't let the group get over. But basically I started being a big fan during his cult leader persona.

Ever since he was teaming with Julio and Raven in TNA. I know a lot of people don't remember CM Punk's time in TNA, but I was in Tennessee at the time and didn't have access to other indies... so TNA for me was the best place to learn about CM Punk. And his entire loyalty to Raven storyline was just perfection in my opinion. After he disappeared from TNA, I refound him in ROH where he had a lot of more time to shine through and show his brilliance... Then he went to OVW, where I honestly couldn't watch him... and from there, he appeared on ECW. And it was during his time on ECW that I just grew to be a big time CM Punk fan.

I guess the biggest ECW storyline of CM Punk that got me hooked was when CM Punk became the focal point of the brand... when the New Breed and the Originals were fighting over who would get CM Punk. I really loved that storyline, as well as the terrific matches he had with Elijah Burke and Kevin Thorne...

Shortly after his WWE debut - but that was mainly due to the fact that I grew up in Chicago. So there was an obvious connection.

However, I really became a full-fledged fan during the 2009 Royal Rumble when Punk was doing promos during the match. It was a classic Rumble moment.

Back before I could consider myself a legit Indy wrestling fan, I had friends and pals swooning over Punk, specifically some 1 hour match he had vs. Samoa Joe (in ROH I think). One day I decided to check out the match and I was a fan of Punk ever since.

Not just because of the match (which was 5 stars btw) but because of Punk's overall look. He looked different, spoke a different tune, seemed truly passionate about the business and the straight edge thing intrigued me. In short, I'd never seen anyone quite like him. Still haven't.

Aw man, I loved him before he was even in ROH. Before he even started training, man. I used to watch his old backyard wrestling fed, but even before that I liked him. I remember when he came out of the womb and thought "this kid's gonna be big someday".

Nah, honestly, it was just after I started watching Smackdown in early 2010. I remember he did a series of promos where he's convert member of the audience to straight edge. He'd be flanked by Luke Gallows with a chair, razor and his Slammy and they'd proceed to cut a promo and then cut someone's hair. I had probably been into wrestling for about two weeks by then, and I thought his look was really cool and different - certainly different to what I had previously though all wrestlers looked like (pretty much like Batista). He proceeded to talk and it was awesome. I loved how he combined an almost messianic gimmick while still being fresh and contemporary.

Im going to say i started enjoying him when he became the new nexus leader. yes an odd time to start liking the guy but i enjoyed all of his promo's and such like the one where he was going to commit the "Ultimate Sacrifice". while it was brutally obvious what he was going to do i still enjoyed the guy. I became a mark after the shoot promo though like alot of others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back