• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Am I missing something about CM Punk?

sam_k7

Occasional Pre-Show
CM Punk has become one of the feel good stories of wrestling today.

He was trained by a number of very credible vets and became an indy legend. Winning many world championships and tag team championships for many promotions.
He has since hit the mainstream and our screens when he signed for WWE first winning the IC, Tag Team and World Heavyweight Championship making him a triple crown champion. He has also won MITB and even a slammy.
He was names PWI #3 top singles wrestler for 2010
He is in his 11th year of his career and could be seen as a vet of the industry.

In terms of his gimmick, he has come into his own as a heel that incorporates his real life ways and has evolved this further into a stable that he leads.
This IMO is a outstanding storyline that has been perfectly done with Punks outstanding mic work which makes me think that the SES gimmick can not only outlast most other storylines but can also be developed further get better and better.
CM Punk is sure to get many more titles.

SO Y DO I THINK HE IS A SHIT WRESTLER?
I cannot stand his matches. they bore me, they irritate me, they are not main event status!
I see him wrestling and i thing "get out of that ring u skinny greesy charlie manson on even stronger crack lookalike!!!"
i have said it before and i will say it again, CM PUNK has got all the grace in the ring as spike dudley if he had one leg a inch or two shorter than the other.

It is worth noting that i have not seen his work outside of wwe and i also understand that he was awarded a 5 star rating in 2004 for his match with Samoa Joe.

So...
do you agree or disagree with any of my opinions and why?
is there a difference between a Punk in WWE match and a punk in ROH/indy match?
Is the GTS the most ass smelling move for a guy of his build? cos i think it is
are you a Punk fan and hate me for this thread?

cheers
Sam.

CM Punk has become one of the feel good stories of wrestling today.

He could have easily been more successful if his 1st title reign hadn't been a complete joke, and he'd have far more credibility as well. If he steps in the ring with the likes of HHH or Orton, i expect him to get squashed in a matter of minutes, and this is someone who's been the champion 3 times!!!!! 3 TIMES!!!!!

He was names PWI #3 top singles wrestler for 2010

I feel he was more deserving than most of the other guys who were in the top 10. I mean, fuck, Taker got in for retiring Michaels and having a 4 month title reign. Wooooooooooooo! As big a Taker mark as i am, the guy didn't exactly do much between coming off the injured list and rejoining it, other than those 2 examples did he? Anyway, Punk deserves to be in the top 5 at least.

This IMO is a outstanding storyline that has been perfectly done with Punks outstanding mic work which makes me think that the SES gimmick can not only outlast most other storylines but can also be developed further get better and better.

I'd like to agree with this, but from what's happened so far, it won't pan out like that. If anything, the group will disband before this year ends and Punk will be left filling in ME spots on his own, instead of as a stable leader.

And here's why i think that.....

1. In late 2008, Randy Orton started 'Legacy' alongside Cody Rhodes and Ted Dibiase Jr. Throughout the entirety of that stables run, they added two new members and got rid of them in about 2 months. Ted and Cody as a tag team accomplished nothing, and i do mean nothing, throughout that entire year, other than help Randy win matches. They beat DX once, and were beaten by DX at least twice. That was the high point of their 'Legacy' run. Winning a tag submission match.

Then, both guys are beaten in a triple threat match by their former leader, Orton, and are thrown straight back into the mid-card and near enough forgotten about.

Cody Rhodes is attacking Christian for some reason, and Ted's walking around with Maryse, doing, well nothing. He was getting a sort of push, then lost to R-Truth on PPV (his first PPV on his own by the way), then was in MiTB were Maryse had more input than he did, and what's he done since.

So, two 2nd/3rd Gen wrestlers join a 3rd gen ME'er about 18 months and are left no better off than before they started.

So do i see a bright future for Luke Gallows (who previously was playing a ******, and before that was 'fake Kane.') and Joey Mercury (who lost the majority of his vision in his left eye while working for WWE, and they still released him over Morrison, who's also stuck doing nothing)? Can't honestly say i do.

2. The SES hasn't had a single significant victory over anyone since it's inception. I honestly can't remember, but did Punk actually beat Rey in ANY of those matches they had? If you intend for a stable to last a while and be dominant, then you can't have the leader lose repeatedly to anyone who steps up to face him.

The difference between Nexus and the SES, is the Nexus actually leaves ME'ers laying at the end of PPVs, and everyone's involved in the angle. The SES barely keeps anyone down for more than 5 minutes if they're lucky, and the fued only ever involves Punk, with the rest of them in the background, slowly fading away into obscurity.

CM Punk is sure to get many more titles.

Yeah, because other ME'ers get hurt or there's no other credible heels on the brand at that point.

And then you go on a little tirade about Punk.....

I too, don't see anything super amazing about him in the ring. Perhaps if this was 10 years ago, where WWE wasn't so strict on which moves can/cannot be done in their ring, then maybe i'd think differently. Then again i might just think he's a spot monkey, who knows? Maybe we should watch some indy Punk matches to see what his real abilities are, because you can't really judge a WWE guys abilities in the ring when they're forced to tone down so much all the time.

And yeah, the GTS is a shit finisher. He should go back to the 'Anaconda Vice' just so we have more than 2 people with submission finishers in a promotion that's supposed to have 3 brands.

"Am I missing something about CM Punk?" Other than his full head of hair no....But to actually answer that question, WWE creative are failing to keep CM Punk in the World Championship title picture and instead is feeding him to the SES which is going nowhere. Don't blame Punk blame the SES cause they are holding him down therefore making him boring. CM Punk isn't a shit wrestler he just hasn't been able to show everyone how could he his with his injury and having the SES help him, it doesn't look like he's even giving 100% effort. Therefore he is getting a push from the WWE more so ROH/indy, the GTS is a good move but maybe the Anaconda Vice will be a great move to his move set and maybe he should focus attacks to the head more to make his finisher look stronger, and no I do not hate you you have the right of your own opinion.

I am a huge fan of Punk and of course I hate you for this topic, but it's no biggie everyone can be wrong :p

To be more serious I never really seen his ROH matches but Iheard the hype and bought it when he came to the ECW. Even more when he feuded with Morrison as those matches were the best and hottest thing in the WWEat that period. I've always love his matches and think he is awesome in the ring.

Ithink in the end you just like a wrestler or not just like I can't STAND Kofi Kingston, Ijust hate him. But tobe fair, and from your post, it seems to me that your problem is that you bought Vince philosophy that only big man can main event.

CM Punk is much better than they allow him to be, his matches against Rey were criminally short, they simply would not allow this Indy boy and little former WCW guy to take the spotlight from Taker and Michaels.

Still you can see glimpses of greatness in their matches especially the one after WM (forgot the PPV name since they constantly change it).

His participation in the RR was great aswell, sadly he was, in my opinion, burried by Triple H, Taker before hand, Big Show etc.

I think Punk is a great WWE superstar, he has it all.

Mic Work
His mic work since turning heel has been outstanding, I couldn’t fault it even if I tried. He’s a killer heel and plays it perfectly. There no one on Smackdown who can cut as good a promo as Punk can since Edge left.

In Ring Ability
His matches are great in my opinion. I get that you don’t like it, everyone has different people they like to see in the ring and for you he’s obviously not one of them but for me he certainly is. He’s got great psychology, he’s not sloppy and he has an innovative move set. And yes, if you check out some of his ROH and indy stuff you will see even more moves he has that he doesn’t use these days. Even if you don’t really enjoy watching him you have to admit he’s clean. He doesn’t botch much and looks strong when he’s wrestling.

The It Factor
I think he has it, people are intrigued by him. He wouldn’t be getting so much heat if he wasn’t over, he most certainly has the ‘it’ factor.

So, for me he has it all and is a deserving main eventer. When it comes to the SES I think it’s time for him to break away from them (except Serena). Have Gallows and Mercury tag for a while or something away from Punk but keep Serena with him. I think they’ve got pretty good chemistry and could keep working well together. Get Serena in some matches and maybe have her win the Women’s title or something. They could be the new and improved Edge and Lita.

To sum up I think Punk is great and I love watching him perform whether it’s promo work or in ring wrestling, it’s all great entertainment for me.

I think that everyone hates a wrestler for almost no apparent reason, me, I'm the same in a way. I can't stand watching a CM Punk match but I love his character, I want him to win all the time, but can't stand watching him wrestle a match. Even the Money In the Bank Ladder match.

But it's just a preference, everyone has those. I know John Cena isn't the great wrestler, but I like him for some odd reason. It's like Shawn Michaels, great wrestler, but god I hate his matches.

Sir we have never even met, yet you have managed to garner all of my hatred on this night. There is no debating CM Punk's amazing mic work or his incredible ability to draw heat so let us address his in ring work... The man is one of the best workers in the squared circle! If you find him boring then John Cena must put you right into a coma.

I pretty much agree with everything 'hardypunkmark' said. He crushes on the mic. His in-ring skills are easily top 5 in the WWE in my opinion. & he NO doubt- has that IT factor.

What I DONT agree with him on is: Punk breaking away from SES. The real problem is Vince not taking FULL advantage of Punk & the heat that this "were better then you" angle could actually get. I dont think its anything more then that really. Punk needs the mic time to take full advantage of this. Just a few months ago- this man was getting 2 times the amount of boo's as anyone else in the company, not named Jericho. Then...downfall for some reason. I know he was just recently hurt- but the SES' downfall stared before that. Punk stopped getting the mic time he was getting. Then Vince makes him lose his hair to midget rey-rey! & now nothing but losing to Big Slow 3 on 1??!! Its a complete joke in my opinion.

If VKM was smart- he would be building the SES!! NOT tearing it down! Punk needs to be made to look stronger & much more of a force to be reckoned with on SD! The best way to do this is to add more followers or minions. It was OK when the first 3 additions were "re-runs" of other performers. Gallows & Mercury are fine, and should become a tag-team. Serena (not a re-run) is perfect as far as im concerned. She follows Punk perfectly. Just continue to get her into matches with other divas & worship Punk as a god.

But- like I said: followers or minions need to be added. But NOW- I think we need a couple of bigger name guys to join SES. Or at least 1 bigger, bigger named guy. We need someone to join SES, that makes the fans say: "why the hell would he join SES? he doesnt need them" THATS what will take this 'faction' over the top in my opinion!

Did I just hear someone say: "WHO?"

Well- I said this a good while back & I still believe it would be great for both parties. Mark Henry!! This guy is the baddest looking M-f'r in the WWE! But yet for some reason- no real push as a heel. Not even to mid-card I dont think!. Obviously- Henry wouldnt ever get up to the level of Punk- cuz that would defeat the purpose of him joining. The point in Henry joining is to, make fans think: WTF??? Henry doesnt need Punk- but he still does every single thing Punk tells him to do.

PLUS: I think we can all agree- its time for markus to lose those god-awful cornrows for good!!

SO Y DO I THINK HE IS A SHIT WRESTLER?
I cannot stand his matches. they bore me, they irritate me, they are not main event status!
I dunno why either, how about you tell me?
What would make his matches "main-event status"?
I see him wrestling and i thing "get out of that ring u skinny greesy charlie manson on even stronger crack lookalike!!!"
i have said it before and i will say it again, CM PUNK has got all the grace in the ring as spike dudley if he had one leg a inch or two shorter than the other.
Colorful allusions aside, what grace is he apparently lacking? What then would you have him do?
So...
do you agree or disagree with any of my opinions and why?
Disagree; largely because you yourself have a hard time even explaining what it is you feel he's doing wrong, which in turn makes it near impossible for me to agree with you…
Also I'm a fan of Punk's work both inside and outside of the ring.
is there a difference between a Punk in WWE match and a punk in ROH/indy match?
Not tremendously. ROH matches traditionally just have more chaining and countering. The basics are largely the same. Punk was never overtly spotty and from what I understand had always been "accused"—as if it were a crime, I guess—of working a more WWE style and less of an "Indy" style.
Is the GTS the most ass smelling move for a guy of his build? cos i think it is
Well I think you think wrong. Clearly if he can execute it he's in the right to use it, despite "his build" (whatever that implies). You don't have to have "abz", be "jacked" or look "huge" to do a basic fireman's carry to push-press to knee. Certainly it's harder to do on larger/heavier individuals but there are always ways to modify the movement or its setup. Heck, he could simply do something else instead if he needed to.
are you a Punk fan and hate me for this thread?
Yes/No. I'm a Punk fan and couldn't care less about you regardless of this thread.
cheers
Sam.
Cheers indeed.

the only problem i see with CM Punk is WWE isnt pushing him like they should. CM Punk is a great heel, i like seeing him compete in the ring, but like i said, WWE isnt pushing him. They push Kane, Undertaker and are going to push Del Rio, but not Punk. Hopefully, they dont push Del Rio like they want, i am just not a fan of the guy and i rather they send Alex Riley to Smackdown and push him over Del Rio or push Punk.

Punk's attitude comes across as something that people want to watch but will never admit. What I mean is, the guy is annoying. To the crowd, to his fellow performers, and possibly to the top brass. But he backs it up, is accurate in what he says, etc and so forth. Perfect heel. Perhaps, too perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back