When Did WWE Drop The Ball With Drew McIntyre?

And another thing, Orton needs to stop being the main concern on Smackdown. I know he's probably the most popular superstar in WWE today...a toss up between him and Cena....but he had already been in the main event for like what? 2 years on Raw straight? Maybe even 3? so why does he instantly get to come to smackdown and steal all the spotlight when there are more superstars on the roster whom deserve a shot way more? Sorry, i had to get that off my chest.

Look at the bold sentences.
You need to realize that WWE is a company and they want the same thing that every other company has, and it is profit.
So the idea of making the 2# popular guy, as the 1# in a brand was a great fucking idea (in business perspective) and please tell me one guy, one that deserves more than him in SmackDown and please don't forget that Randy is with the WWE for almost 10 years so he has done like 5x more than every other (Christian is WHC, Kane - former WHC and Henry- Having a heluva push). Sorry but you look like a fool saying that, what would you think that wwe could do? Making Justin Gabriel World Champion first just because he was in SD! before Orton for instance?

Now back to the OP, as some of you may know Drew McIntyre is by far my favorite superstar so I have like a irrational feeling to defend the guy and wanting to slap almost everyone here.
Drew McIntyre isn't bland and he isn't bad in the ring and I would love to know how some of you came with that idea to say that, he is in the same level as Sheamus, Swagger, Del Rio in terms of in-ring ability, and if you are saying otherwise then you are all fucked up, just watch is match against Evan Bourne and Zack Ryder on Superstars for instance.
Is he getting buried? Absolutely! Is this bad? Not at all! Why? He is only 26 years old, he is a former IC Champion and Tag Team Champion! He was entitled the Chosen One once and for a reason guys. He reminds me the young HHH, he also had to pay his dues in WCW and it took 6 years for him to get the World Championship and he went from snob to a Sheamus kind of heel to do that.
Does McIntyre has potential? Sure, saying otherwise is stupid, because he looks like a Champion, everything from his music to his way to move smells world champion in miles.
Sure his Mic Skills are bad, but he isn't the worst for sure, he doesn't look like he is reading a script too and he is way better now than his first year.
WWE needs to put him in TV first and in RAW he will not make it by being a heel, I also think that WWE could use his (non-kayfabe) fall to turn on Ziggler for not helping him.
Does he need to win the USA Championship in the next two months against Ziggler? No he doesn't, does he need to look like he can beat him? Hell yeah!
A lot of guys in the WWE backstage thinks that Drew McIntyre is a misused talent. Guys like Steve Austin, Bret Hart, Roddy Piper, Booker T, Josh Mathews, etc... All of this guys spoke something about it in their twitter or even in Live TV (the last two, yes McIntyre is in the Booker T Fav. Five)

So I still believe that he is going to be something in the WWE better than a jobber or even better than a midcard.

The best thing about Drew McIntyre is his entrance music.

His look and attire is generic. He doesn't have any personality at all of which to speak of so therefore fails to stand out from that point of view. And quite frankly has a bland and boring finisher. The mighty double-arm DDT. Note to WWE; when it comes to DDT finishers, please leave it to Jake.

So for me, they dropped the ball when they decided to label him "The Chosen One".

I look like a fool saying that eh? So you don't believe Randy Orton in the spot light has gotten old? Lets face it. He's turning into a second John Cena. And there's a reason Why So many people hate John Cena. Sure, he is the most popular wrestler...but he also has almost as many haters. And do you know why? Because he's constantly in the main event. Yes, i get its about profit. But i'm sure the WWE Universe will still continue to buy Merchandise and such even though Randy isn't the champion. Heck, you could have Mark Henry as champion and Tickets and Merchandise would sell just as much as it would if he weren't in the main event.

I don't think that seeing Randy Orton and Cena in the ME is getting old, actually it is pretty good to see both of them at the top, since they really are the best superstars they have.
Imagine that Orton gets buried, and demoted to the midcard, WWE had lost a main eventer and how the hell could they push other guy?
In case you missed it, John Cena and Randy Orton pushed a lot of guys because they were champions and relevant in the ME scene.

Who deserves it more? As i stated, he's had many chances of holding it thus far. So as far as i'm concerned 90% of the freaking roster deserves it more. And yes, Justin Gabriel is just as talented as Rey Mysterio. He could just as easily win the title...granted he doesn't have the biggest fanbase...but it was the biggest of any of the Original NXT members. Maybe it is you whom is missing the big picture here. Sooner or later, people will realize that it is boring to see the same 2 or 3 superstars battle it out year after year after year. And as i said before, it'd be just as successful to put him in matches that aren't for the title.

Do you actually believe that people would buy the PPV to see John Cena vs Evan Bourne for the USA Championship or Randy Orton vs Heath Slater for the IC Championship.
ahah and the main-event Justin Gabriel vs Rey Mysterio for the WHC, it is a draw, I bet it would have like 2.000.000 buys, don't be stupid, the main problem with the WWE is with the lack of Main Event Stars and you want to get rid of the true ones?

NOTE: Miz was WWE Champion, and yet John Cena was still the star of the show. This shows that it is in fact possible to do so. Yeah he's popular, but people are gonna buy his crap whether he's champion or not.

The Miz was an incredible WWE Champion and he played with the big boys at 'Mania and he won against the face of the company there, thus making him a Main Eventer.
If it was The Miz vs Darren Young people would laugh in WWE's face.
They need to have two super guys that win the Championships and are entertaining at the same time (Ex. HHH)

List of People whom would make good champions include: Sheamus (Obvious reasons...even booker t is giving him hype). Daniel Bryan (Can't wait until he cashes in that money in the bank. People will see why he was made such a big deal upon entering the WWE). Mark Henry (They've been building him up. He's big. He's bad. It wouldn't be that out of place if he was holding a title. Tell me i'm wrong. Not the best wrestler in the world, sure, but he's a big bad dude). Cody Rhodes, yes this may be a little out there then the other ones on my list. But he's growing on people. People are starting to love his heel persona, and heck he's one of the best on the mic and is great at entertaining.

So just because a guy has all the tools he deserves automatically to be World Champion?
Lets look in a football perspective, if you had the best team and you won every single year, would you lose on purpose just to make the things interesting? You wouldn't, so the characters of the Superfaces are just like that, they are not going to lose to some random guy as Johnny Curtis.
Daniel Bryan has a long run before he cashes his MITB briefcase and he needs to be more over than now.
Sheamus is a matter of time, the guys is already a 2x WWE Champion, if he wins the WHC 4x this year you will be pissing on him too.
Do you know that Yoshi Tatsu is an incredible wrestler?
Let me guess, he deserves a WHC just for that...

Big News WWE hires talented guys everytime, they all want them to get over as fast as they can, because they want money, but some can other don't.

My list can go on and on, but it wont make a bit of difference. There are many eligible people whom could get in the World Title business. The Smackdown Roster is full of em'. And no, it wouldn't hurt business at all if it did happen, heck it may even help it out to introduce new sides of superstars to the world. WWE is a vast empire, and wouldn't go downhill just because their top guys don't have the title.

Look, Randy Orton and John Cena were the champs, not anymore...
They had the 2 better storylines in the entire WWE while champions, if you think otherwise, I will just stop replying, and why do you think they had it and people cared?
I would love to see at MITB Kofi Kinsgton vs CM Punk, this is a sold out match

WM 28 - Alex Riley vs The Rock --' another great match that would make money.

My final example..Shawn Michaels is another one of the top guys...or was..and look how long he went without holding the title. Yet his merchandise sold and people still paid to see him. So yeah...

Shawn Michaels was pretty good, but no way in hell we was close to what John Cena is in terms of drawing money.
The only time he really draw was in DX, but still I'm pretty sure that John Cena sells more, and kids thinks that being the champion is the better thing, so they all fuck their parents head, to buy them some John Cena hat, or T-Shirt.
The guy can have a lot of hate, but he is still the most over guy in the WWE, he isn't a bad wrestler and he isn't for sure bad on the mic, haters just hate him because he is a role model to kids and he wins, but WWE likes to please everyone, or did you missed CM Punk becoming WWE Champion?
It wasn't for the kids, but for the IWC (reg fans didn't knew half of the things about CM Punk promo, for instance)

Just to remain on topic, Drew McIntyre is the most underrated superstar in the WWE, and you will see.
He will be good, he above all mid cards screams World Champion, it is true, you just need to see his entrance, but in order to reach that he NEEDS to get on tv and to get over!!

Drew McIntyre vs Randy Orton is a dream feud that I have, and with the proper build up, it could be Drews ramp to stardom

Here's a video from 7/22 showing Sheamus quickly destroying Drew in an FCW contest. Obviously, the only reason Drew is in there at all is to help put Sheamus over as a face.

Don't you wonder what Drew must be feeling, having to be squashed by his real-life friend, who's being pushed to the top, while Drew's WWE career has been kicked to the gutter?

[YOUTUBE]JYNt8Q_UkWI[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a video from 7/22 showing Sheamus quickly destroying Drew in an FCW contest. Obviously, the only reason Drew is in there at all is to help put Sheamus over as a face.

Don't you wonder what Drew must be feeling, having to be squashed by his real-life friend, who's being pushed to the top, while Drew's WWE career has been kicked to the gutter?

[YOUTUBE]JYNt8Q_UkWI[/YOUTUBE]

If he's feeling sorry for himself then he only has himself to blame. They tried to get Drew over, it didn't take. It's his fault. Sure he's young, but WWE is pushing a lot of young guys. If you don't get over when the WWE tries it's your fault. Plain and simple. If you bat a guy cleanup against a pitcher who he should be able to hit and he doesn't; you can't say "well the manager dropped the ball". Same concept.

What he needs is to be a Baby-face, which Smackdown REALLY requires (and he should be sent back to Smackdown).

Mind you, he is very young at 25, clearly 15 more years he can be at the top, and i definitely see him main eventing in the future.

I really didn't get the angle in which he and Maryse had something going on (It was Maryse right?) and nothing happened afterwards.

If WWE dropped the ball at all with him, it would have to be after Elimination Chamber. I'm surprised they didn't capitalize AT ALL off his performance that he gave in that match, because he looked more intense and character driven then I've seen him in all his career.

I don't think they dropped the ball on him though. He's just currently paying his dues and I don't see him being released anytime soon. I see a bright future for him. He's just waiting for his opportunity to shine.

No one dropped a ball. They gave Drew a chance, and he didn't have much to offer. What's so hard to understand about that?

Some of you are so concerned with being right about someone you chose to mark out for that you can't see through the trees - he isn't that good. He can put on a decent match when he has a decent opponent - then what? Not particularly strong on the mic, doesn't have much of a character (outside of his heritage, which is not a character... okay, it is, but that's weak), and hasn't proven himself. What has he done? Nothing.

Sorry, I hate to be the Negative Nancy here, but he's right where he belongs.

I don't like to think of Drew McIntyre as a ball, it's too misleading. I prefer to think of Drew as - and stick with me here - a greased hog that's having its tail pulled. You'd all agree that a greased hog that's having its tail pulled is difficult not to drop, don't you? Good; I was worried the intricacies of that simile might have escaped some of you.

I've liked Drew McIntyre at times. When he came into that Elimination Chamber match and threw Rey Mysterio as if he intended to paralyse him, for example. That, like bowties and having your own mascot, was cool. But really, I don't see a whole lot in him. Could be the case that he has more to offer than we're seeing, but - from what we are seeing - I'm not exactly overwhelmed.

Maybe he should go back to that ladykiller gimmick he apparently had in FCW. I know that Scottish accent gets me wet.

I agree with nick on this. The WWE hasn't screwed Drew... Drew has screwed Drew.
Why should he be a top guy? what has he done to prove it? Everyone who is, got there by busting their asses off. Hell, Zack Ryder gets more TV time than drew. Why? He's showing people he WANTS to be on TV, and has something to offer.
They gave Drew a chance, and he failed to really impress.

WWE dropped the ball on McIntyre the moment they teamed him up with Cody Rhodes. That completely killed McIntyre's momentum and from that point onwards he has just sort of disappeared. The WWE need to find something for him before he leaves and shows his skills somewhere else (TNA).

No one dropped a ball. They gave Drew a chance, and he didn't have much to offer. What's so hard to understand about that?

Some of you are so concerned with being right about someone you chose to mark out for that you can't see through the trees - he isn't that good. He can put on a decent match when he has a decent opponent - then what? Not particularly strong on the mic, doesn't have much of a character (outside of his heritage, which is not a character... okay, it is, but that's weak), and hasn't proven himself. What has he done? Nothing.

Sorry, I hate to be the Negative Nancy here, but he's right where he belongs.

I've got a question for you, have you ever seen Drew McIntyre outside of the WWE? If not then you cannot possibly know what he has to offer. In the WWE he hasn't been given that much of a chance to prove himself in the ring or on the mic. When he did have the chance (when he was Intercontinental Champion) he was ridiculed in almost every promo for being Scottish. Back here in Scotland, when he was wrestling here, he wasn't ridiculed for having an accent because we all have the accent. He really is good on the mic and is a tremendous ring worker. The WWE have done with Drew what they have done to countless others, ruined him because of the WWE's style of working.

кαяℓ [zα¢к ρα¢к мємв;3308837 said:
The WWE have done with Drew what they have done to countless others, ruined him because of the WWE's style of working.

It's funny you say that, but if he was really that good then he would be able to adapt to the "WWE Style" and come up with a character that the fans can buy into. So far he hasn't done that. He got pushed hard off of his debut with his "Chosen one" deal, but instead of incredible heat he got incredible silence. Maybe they should have put Vickie with him instead of Ziggy to help him get any kind of reaction from the crowd.

I admit, his in-ring ability isn't awe-inspiring, but it isn't the worst by far. However, whether it's his accent or not I don't know, but he can't seem to get a reaction from the crowd. That's NOT WWE's fault, because he WAS given a chance and he didn't run with the ball.

When he moved to RAW, he got lost in the shuffle. Needs to be repackaged, and until then, at least let the guy come out to his own music. A couple events I saw where he tagged with someone else, he came out with the other wrestler to his music. Slap in the face. He has great potential, i like the manager idea with roddy. He could be a nasty heel that IMO could get over. Give him a lengthy IC run, to compliment a WHC push.

it is almost like the dropped it from day 1 with him. i don't know if he ever got the reactions that they wanted. he was supposed to be a heel but even though he got boo'ed, i don't know if it was because he was over as a heel or if it was x-pac heat. when they started that angle with him and kelly kelly, it seemed to kill any reaction he was getting. i think he never got over quite like they wanted him to and they are trying to figure out what they can do to get him over now. i think being on RAW isn't helping him any either.

i think he never got over quite like they wanted him to and they are trying to figure out what they can do to get him over now. i think being on RAW isn't helping him any either.

Agreed 100%. He is lost in the shuffle right now, being on the talent overcrowded MNR does not help his case. I believe that he will still get another shot in the spotlight when the time is right (maybe a move to SD would help). But he needs to be a standout when his next chance comes. That part rests on him alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back