Roddy Piper mentoring Drew McIntyre

FSWWE

Championship Contender
Last week I believe Roddy Piper twitted something like wanting to help Drew McIntyre, and I don't know what to really feel about this.

Drew McIntyre is lost in the shuffle, he isn't getting TV Time since he was drafted to Raw and I believe that he is a very good talent with all the tools to be one day a world champion.
Roddy Piper is a WWE Legend, especially on the mic section and being a scotch do you think that he could make any role for Drew at TV?

• What is your thoughts about this?
  • What can Drew learn with Piper?
  • Can he make it big being managed by Piper?
  • Give some ideas that you would like to see between them...

Edit: Oh god, I am sorry for saying that Roddy is scotch thanks wrestlingfan for pointing that out, he was billed from Glasgow so he fooled me :x

Well Piper is Canadian but he does have Scottish descent.

But Drew can take all the help he can get. Piper may just make him into a star or start a new breed of Hot Rods. He will help Drews mic skills. This is just apro for Drew in all ways.

At this point the whole Chosen One gimmick isn't working, I don't even consider it a gimmick to be honest because there's many toher stars that could have it such as Cena. I wouldn't mind Drew being the next Hot Rod and combining that with his Sinister Scotsman gimmick.

What is your thoughts about this?
I would love to see Roddy Piper back on my television and if that means mentoring a mediocre talent, then I’m game. I don't know how likely it is but I do want to see this.

What can Drew learn with Piper?
Well, how to be an effective heel. Drew McIntyre needs alot of help right now. All his steam from his debut/Intercontinental Championship reign on Smackdown is now dead. Drew McIntyre goes unnoticed when he's not on TV for weeks at a time. Adding Roddy Piper to the mix will change all of that. Piper can draw heat in massive doses and that can do nothing but help Drew McIntyre.

Can he make it big being managed by Piper?
Make it? Like as in World Championship make it? Meh, doubt it. Sean O'Haire barely got anywhere with Piper as it became about Piper rather then O'Haire. But if Piper can stay out of the spotlight while still getting a little heat for McIntyre then why not?

Give some ideas that you would like to see between them...
I'd love to see a heel Roddy Piper. Have Drew all serious while Piper is doing his crazy, psychotic shenanigans and whatnot. Build Drew back up slowly with Piper at his side. I would actually love to see this.

Surely only good can come of this. It's nice to see the WWE legends taking notice of the younger talent, I believe Bret Hart praised McIntyre not too long ago.

I thought this guy could make it anyway, with The Chosen One gimmick/push, but now it would be difficult to reproduce his credibility using the same gimmick.

Quite frankly, I don't know what Piper could teach McIntyre, I mean, the only thing wrong with McIntyre in my mind, is his mic skill which I still feel is passable. You can't teach charisma.

Maybe McIntyre could adopt Piper's old gimmick of being a Scottish brawler. Even though he won't pull it of as well. I just feel that his Chosen One push/gimmick wouldn't work now.

[*]What is your thoughts about this?

Looks good on paper, but I am sadly reminded of Sean O'haire. He had a lot of promise, too, and was being mentored by Piper, but the second the angle with Hogan and Piper ended, O'haire was lost and future endeavored.

It would really pain me to see another O'haire moment in McIntyre.

[*]What can Drew learn with Piper?

He can definitely learn what it takes to be noticed as a heel. There is only one other heel in history that I think is better than Piper, and that man already "chose" McIntyre. So if this gets a television spot we could really see a transformation from "okay" McIntyre to "holy shit look at" McIntyre.

[*]Can he make it big being managed by Piper?

Yes and no. It's hit and miss because like I said, I'm reminded of O'haire. I think managerial angles are either hit and miss, and that's all I can really say on this.

[*]Give some ideas that you would like to see between them...

Anything that doesn't leave Drew overshadowed. That was one thing that happened with the guy I keep mentioning. Give McIntyre just as much time as the legendary Hot Rod, and let him be featured in the ring more. I'm not saying they must work a heel gimmick, but it would be a powerful move that, down the line, McIntyre were to turn on Piper.

Who could he possibly have as a better mentor. Piper is one of the absolute best mic workers of all time, and could work well as a heel or a face. I am reminded of Piper's awesome promo last year at the old school Raw. Stories of Piper getting stabbed back in the day and ravenous crowd because of good he was at getting under people's skin, I can't see a downside to it.

Drew is great in the ring, I won't hold back. He's quite stiff but he has a unique style in the ring and he can tell a good story in the ring. I've not seen him have bad work with anyone in the ring. Wrestling is not his weak point, talking reputedly is.

And like I said, who better to help him hone that side of his craft? I don't see the downside if there is one. At worst he doesn't get any better, but that is hardly likely.

A "has been" pushing a "Never will be" Drew just isn't good, and I don't know where the confusion is that makes people believe he is

Sounds like what Hogan and Flair are doing down in TNA/Impact Wrestling. IF its anything like that, please just fire him now. If he's doing this off air I have no problem with it, but I for one do not want to see Piper on WWE TV week end and week out

The only person who can sign on to get McIntry over is Vince. Vince needed to cosign the whole "chosen one" gimmick in the first place to make it believable. Vince did wonders for other wrestlers when he aligned himself next to them.

I don't want to see the two of them have on air interaction at any point in time, it would be a waste of time that could be used for other story lines, that are active wrestlers

This could be huge, Piper mentoring Sean O'haire was fuckin money and had he not got screwed by HBO O'Haire could have had time to develop into a top heel. What a waste that was, not McIntyre isn't as good as O'Haire but he could probably benefit from it still.

Mic Skils Mic Skills Mic Skills, drew and the rest of the roster can learn that from hot rod. And that old school style of story telling

Maybe, depending on how prominent they allow the manager role to be and if his in ring ability is there.

Since he was the chosen one by Vince I would mind some sort of Forsaken one thing with Piper helping him against Vince for forsaking him so quickly and not giving him a fair chance (not that that happened but would be fun to see).

Meh, at this point what harm could this do? Mcintyre is barely on TV, so maybe by having Piper as a manager it could help or it could backfire ( see Shawn O' Haire). Only time will tell, but at this point who knows.:shrug:

Drew McIntyre has what it takes to make it but just has not been given the platform to perform like others have. Prime example is Cody Rhodes who just over a year ago was thought to be the member of Legacy least likely to make it. Suddenly, he is now being touted as a possible MITB winner and future champion. This is because they saw what Rhodes was doing and realised a change was needed. When that change began getting results they tweaked it and made a comedic heel persona into a darker, more dangerous and interesting character.

It is this exact same thing that McIntyre has needed. Just because he isn't the greatest in ring worker doesn't mean he can't improve like Rhodes has. Having Roddy Piper in his corner could be the gimmick changer that he needs. As an earlier poster said, adopting a style similar to that of Piper could benefit him greatly. Having managers can often make or break a career. Maryse with DiBiase is a perfect example of a bad pairing but a legend who is still popular today would be a much safer bet and I would love for Drew to get back on TV. I expect he has a lot to offer if only he could get the spotlight.

I see it working with Piper almost goading Drew into accepting his ways... There is some promo mileage in how Drew has "failed" so far... and how Piper was better than him... I could see a great double act based more on antagonism than Piper being the silent mouthpiece... If Drew HATE's Roddy but knows he "needs him" then that is a great angle...

maybe piper can teach drew how to be better at the mic becuase the rest drew is great at. i dont see how this guy got lost in the shuffle, he used to be 1 of the top guys then died out when on RAW. With piper only good can come out.

You have to remember that in the 80's Piper was the guy doing an interview on the way to his car and decided to beat down a random fan on camera for getting in his way as a way to draw heat.

If Piper can be given bullet points on what to hit with all of the points centered around Drew and his opponent then he could teach the kid a lot. Piper was the key to getting Hogan over as much as he was over in the 80's, Hogan was over but people wanted Piper's head served to them by Hogan.

Roddy Piper can talk like Ric Flair can party, keep Piper on task, dont let him rant, and he can help McEntire like crazy.

•What is your thoughts about this?
•What can Drew learn with Piper?
•Can he make it big being managed by Piper?
•Give some ideas that you would like to see between them...

1.Sounds good
2.He can learn ALOT from Roddy , Roddy is a mic skills master. Drews mic skills aren't strong
3.I think he shouldn't be managed , but mentored behind the scenes
4.Absolutley nothing , like I said I think he should just mentor his mic skills behind the scenes

Here's the problem with McIntyre: he's boring.

Yes, he does something in the ring. He's intense. That's it. But the moment he grabs the mic it's like watching paint dry. Besides the accent, what does he have over anyone else?

I wouldn't put Piper and McIntyre together just because they both have Scottish gimmicks. They have two totally different personas. And honestly, putting Piper together with McIntyre will only make McIntyre look worse in comparison because Piper is so damn good.

I DO think McIntyre needs a manager, or at least someone to coach him on delivering promos, whether it be on or off camera (CM Punk anyone?!). And to those that say he hasn't been given a chance, I personally think he has. He had the whole Chosen One thing going on, and had the IC Title for some time. He's just not someone terribly impressive, in my opinion.

I think its cool that he is wanting to help him out. It may show WWE that legends may respect the talent of other superstars.

Better Mic Skills. Drew is pretty decent on he mic but i think her could be be better. Maybe some pointers in the ring here in there.

Yes. As Long as Drew stays heel.

I would like to see Roddy make a "Heel turn" to manage Drew. And Roddy would help push him up the card. Maybe A United States Title run with Roddy as Manager.

Hot Rod taking an interest in a current talent of the WWE can only be a good thing. Piper is somewhat of forgotten hero in the WWE, forgotten mostly because of his lack of title victories. I mean, sure, people know that he was an important wrestler but he is often overshadowed by the likes of Hogan, Warrior and Savage as one of the most defining wrestlers of that era. But there is little doubt of the fact that he was an amazing talent and quite possibly one of the best promo cutters of all time.

That brings me to Drew. He pretty much sucks on the mic apart from having a unique voice. That is the thing that Piper could work on. In the ring, Drew's style is somewhat like that of Roddy only slower and shoddier and so Roddy can help him there as well. As for a manager-esque role, I am not too high on that idea but that is mostly because I do not feel that managers are much good. I mean, in today's wrestling world having a manager can hardly be a permanent thing. The manager might help a guy cut a few promos for a while but after the manager leaves the wrestler, the fans will realize that the wrestler still suck on the mic and they will get turned off. A manager hinders the growth of a wrestler more than he promotes it.

Also the characters of Drew and Piper are quite different. Piper was more flamboyant and funnier while Drew is a more serious guy. I cannot see how they can work well as a team, on screen that is.

Piper didn't work as a manager for Sean O'Haire who has the same if not a better look than Drew McIntyre. I don't see Piper being a help for Drew just because when Drew even gets an ounce of overness, Piper will pull the rug out from under him and steal the spot light. As a legend Piper gets some sorta say in what happens with his character. I think if he wanted to manage Drew he could have set it up by now. Right now Drew could draw flies if he was covered in manure. It was nice to see him get a little air time last week on Raw, even if it was just Sweet Chin Music. They would have stuck another up and coming guy in the angle with Booker, Page, and Michaels if they didn't have some sorta plans for him.

Here's the problem with McIntyre: he's boring.

The thing is; the discussion of Piper's proposed involvement is a contradiction. We don't know whether Roddy would be managing Drew, (as he did O'Haire) or whether he's talking simply about advising Drew how to change his character. Which is it?.....'cause there's a big difference.

Consider what made Piper in his prime such a polarizing, exciting factor: He had no allies. Like Steve Austin, Roddy walked alone through the WWE morass; he had no tag team partners, he had no one he could call on in a jam to line up with him.....and he didn't need it. While everyone else formed alliances, no matter how uneasy, Piper stood by himself. (Consider Hogan constantly calling on his "little Hulksters," Savage using Elizabeth as a human shield, and Ted DiBiase having Virgil stand by him.) Piper had no one....and it was an integral part of his personality that he operate that way.

Would "showing" Drew McIntyre how to function as Roddy did be a help to Drew? Possibly, because Drew's nasty personality lends itself better to operating as a lone wolf. Drew has always been better by himself than as a tag team partner.....if Roddy can show him a way to make his persona more effective, all the power to him.

In a contradictory sense, though, if Drew has a personality that's as bland as some folks are saying, he might be better served with a manager who's attitude is as nasty as Drew's own. I can't think of anyone who could play the part better than Piper......if he has the time to devote to it. Drew's ring work and Roddy's mouth could be a great combination.

Of course, after Piper has put Drew over, he could leave the program, which is good because he seems to want only occasional involvement in wrestling, anyway. But, face it, Roddy Piper is the one who is apparently suggesting involvement with Drew McIntyre.

If it's so, I can't think of a better pairing......and Drew needs it......man, does he ever.

1) drew needs all the help he can get, this includes help with in-ring skills and help with promo skills for sure and some more charisma wouldnt hurt either.

2) rowdy roddy piper is a legend and with good reason, he was great in-ring (during his time), lots of charisma and great on the mic, drew can learn lots from this man, if drew does get trained by roddy then i expect lots out of drew.

3) uhh he might be able to make it big, of course, just because your being tutored by a legend, doesnt mean your going to be any good, or any better, so we would have to wait and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back