When Did WWE Drop The Ball With Drew McIntyre?

ATLMIATEX

Occasional Pre-Show
Drew McIntyre formerly known as "The Chosen One" career started off so good. Mr.McMahon introduced him as a "Future World Champion".He won the Intercontinental Championship within the first 3 months of his career, then cut amazing promos with Teddy Long on Smackdown.And he never even lost the IC title he got striped of it. Then when he started to team with Cody Rhodes and winning the WWE tag team titles, I think that was when he lost it. He didnt cut promos anymore, and he lost more often. Then he got drafted to Raw and this was the beginning of the end. Although, I was happy to see him inturpt Diamond Dallas Page on the Raw Roulette I believe, but I got sad when HBK Chin Musiced him. Then he and Ziggler fought Big Show where he got mugged..

So my question is where do you think WWE lost it with Drew? And
How do they pick it back up,How do they get Drew cutting promos and winning matches every week?

They dropped the ball when people started complaining about his stiff ring work. If not for that he was set to win the MITB match that Swagger won.

I think they're already getting ready to re-push him. I think the Big Show beat down was to set up a face turn. He can come back and take the title from Ziggler on the basis that Ziggler sat back and watched him get wrecked.

I remember reading something about how he was meant to be the winner of Money in the Bank and then go on and win the World Championship, becoming an undefeated champion in the process. Of course this could all be rumors and what not and have no truth to it. But it stated that he fell out of favor with WWE officials and thus the switch between Drew and Swagger was made. To be honest I never saw the appeal of Drew, probably never will. I don't find him to be entertaining (others may and that's fine, not for me however) and I never liked the entire thing with Matt Hardy and Teddy Long he did which is really the only thing he has done since being in the WWE. He gets very little reaction in the crowd these days, showing how far he has fallen. I also hate when people blame the company (WWE, ROH, TNA), why is it their fault the person couldn't carry the heat/pop. I would say that Drew began to go down hill after the entire reversing decisions when he lost. I hated it and thought the entire thing was just a waste of time. We all saw him lose, it's not like saying it never happened would make it disappear. Then you had the thing with Rhodes and he just began to lose week in and week out. His microphone time was cut to little (even nothing) and the reaction fell. I can't pin point the moment he went into the nose dive, but somewhere before and after WrestleMania 26. As for picking him up I don't know, get him some ring time with a solid worker that he has worked with in the past. He doesn't need to win every match, just a solid record needs to begin again.

They dropped the ball when people started complaining about his stiff ring work. If not for that he was set to win the MITB match that Swagger won.

I think they're already getting ready to re-push him. I think the Big Show beat down was to set up a face turn. He can come back and take the title from Ziggler on the basis that Ziggler sat back and watched him get wrecked.

Complaining that he was working too stiff? What a bunch of *****es.. yeah.. lets make the WWE even more soft than it already appears. Drew McIntryre's aggression/intensity... or if they want to call it "stiffness" is my favorite thing about him.. next to his look and his music.

I don't think they dropped the ball on him, he got lost in the shuffle on Raw with the majority of the roster being heels.

If you noticed.. Drew McIntrye isn't out there losing to Evan Bourne.. he's not jobbing to ANYONE.. because he's not wrestling. I think they are saving him for the moment. So they aren't putting him in matches he's going to lose, if they can't push him.. it appears as though they're just going to leave him off the screen so he isn't burdened by loses. That's my theory.

When the Drew McIntrye push starts.. it's going to take off... it's just a matter of timing at this point.

Complaining that he was working too stiff? What a bunch of *****es.. yeah.. lets make the WWE even more soft than it already appears. Drew McIntryre's aggression/intensity... or if they want to call it "stiffness" is my favorite thing about him.. next to his look and his music.

That's an easy thing to say when you don't have to wrestle 200 times a year.

I don't think they dropped the ball with him because I don't think he should have ever been given the ball. The guy is bland and IMO his in ring work is nothing special.

Nobody dropped the ball with McIntyre, McIntyre dropped the ball himself. He arrived on the scene on Smackdown and was pushed to the fucking moon, but he just couldn't get over. Not at all. What more could they have done? They gave him the Intercontinental Title, they put him in programs with fan favorites like Matt Hardy and John Morrison, hell, they even had him in a feud with the Smackdown GM!

They did everything they could for him, but the crowd just didn't give a shit. Not the WWE's fault in the least.

Having him fued with Fatt Hardy was, in my opinion, the start of his decline. Hardy can't get anyone over by himself, only when he was a tag team. Its why he floundered in the midcard so long. And by the time we got to Drew vs. Hardy, Fatt had already given up caring about himself OR the WWE. He looked liked crap, wrestled like crap, probably smelled like crap. Drew was over with the crowd with the Teddy Long segments, they appeared to loathe him. However, as Chris Jericho says, it takes 2 people to put on a good match, and wether you think Drew is good or bad, you can't say he had an opponent good enough (any longer) to help him out.

I agree with LegendKiller, they are getting ready to push him again. He may have got beat down, but he has got increased tv time the last couple weeks (this raw excluded where only 8 people got tv time), and got to even make fun of Vince. If he can't get pushed next time, I'll change my viewpoints on him, but I don't think he'll drop the ball on Raw.

Nobody dropped the ball with McIntyre, McIntyre dropped the ball himself. He arrived on the scene on Smackdown and was pushed to the fucking moon, but he just couldn't get over. Not at all. What more could they have done? They gave him the Intercontinental Title, they put him in programs with fan favorites like Matt Hardy and John Morrison, hell, they even had him in a feud with the Smackdown GM!

They did everything they could for him, but the crowd just didn't give a shit. Not the WWE's fault in the least.

I agree with Nate, he's nothing special, decent ring skills, below average on the mic, and not over enough, although he got a decent pop when he appeared in the backstage segment with Vince, Ziggs, and Vickie, he's still not good enough to be pushed to the ME.

They pushed him too soon, he was 24 when he came in, he had all the time to work himself up to the next level and get over, the fans couldn't have cared less about him yet they wanted him in the main event in such an early stage of his career, that's exactly what happened to Randy Orton back when he was Drew's age, they just pushed him too soon, and he got put in the midcard in sometime in the late 2000's when Johnny Nitro went over him in an IC title match, but he was atleast over back then, and when you look at Orton now.. successful..but BORING.

If the WWE are gonna push Drew again, they should do it after he actually gets a gimmick, gets over with the fans, and improves his ring skills.

the ball was "dropped" on Drew after him and his wife former Diva Tiffany got into a domestic dispute that ended with the police arresting her

"-- Former WWE Diva Taryn "Tiffany" Terrell tweeted the following this afternoon: "With great sadness, I announce the end of my marriage. I wish Drew only happiness and continued success." There was an incident last year in August where 'Tiffany' was arrested in L.A following a domestic dispute with Drew McIntyre. WWE suspended and then released her several months later."

He's been being buried since around August 2010, because at one point it looked as if they were going to turn him face and pair him up with Kelly Kelly. Him and Rhodes were also tag champs sometime last year before that incident happened. Rhodes got a great push, and Drew got pushed to the back burner.

Can he make a comeback to the upper middle card then possibly on to the Main Event, possible? but not if they continue to book him like shit, ah la la Swagger style

they dropped the ball on him when they realized he isn't anything special, average in the ring, boring on the mic, and he has a blend look, only cool thing about him imho is his entrance song

@French Kiss I was about to post what you wrote! I blame it on the bad press with the wife situation. Not to mention he's very stiff in the ring. Yes Cody got a great push and he's BORING and not over with the fans at all.

wwe dropped the ball on him when he was originaly stripped of his title for attacking matt hardy after that it was a matter of time before he lost the title for real and went off t.v until winning the titles with rhodes then when that went downhill he was rarely seen again instead of pushing him right away wwe should of extended the fued with R-truth or give him someone else to attack to make the fans actually care cause i sure as hell didnt

At this point, it all depends on what management thinks of him when it comes to his possible future with the company.

Have they decided he's never going to get over with the fans and that they're just waiting for his contract to expire so they can future endeavor him?

Do they see a future for him and plan to push him after they're through concentrating on other people?

Have they decided he's never going over big but want to keep him as a jobber who gets the shit end of the stick? (humiliated by Big Show in a squash match, humiliated by HBK with a 10-second screen appearance that concluded with him laid out by Chin Music?) On the one hand, he doesn't seem to fit the mold of jobber; yet, that's exactly how they're using him.......when they use him at all.

After this past Monday night, when not even a mention of him was made by the announcer's after last week's off-stage mishap, I've pretty much given up hope of Drew hitting it big.

Yet, who knows? Look how management seemingly buried Sheamus by having him lose cleanly to guys like Evan Bourne. After winning KOTR, the guy was banished to no-man's land for months. But Sheamus was allowed back into the good graces of management......and look at him now.

Does this apply to Drew McIntyre? Will he get another push......and will he make it if he does?

Who knows? It all depends how the higher-ups regard him. If anyone knows this, I'd love for you to tell me.

and he does not know how to construct a match. He has hurt numerous competitors and he has not drawn a dime and he is not good enough to lead anyway through a program. Both Barrett and Shaemus have the charisma; and Hart-Smith can lead a match. He is just missing something and I think they realize that. Plus his ex wife did him no favor being the wacky blonde:)

I know that people love to blame the WWE for whenever a guy doesn't quite make it as high as some think that they should, but this is all on McIntyre.

The WWE brought McIntyre in and they gave the guy a helluva push right from the start. He was the Intercontinental Champion for almost 6 months but he just wasn't really able to get over. I liked the guy and still do, but it just wasn't the right time with McIntyre.

Since dropping the IC strap, McIntyre has improved by leaps and bounds both inside the ring and as far as just generally letting his personality show. He still has some work to do but the ability is there.

Besides, McIntyre is only 26 years old. He's potentially got a long and brilliant career ahead of him. Right now, he's just paying his dues in WWE. They took a shot with McIntyre and it didn't pan out, but that doesn't mean that he still can't become what they're hoping for in time.

Drew McIntyre is mediocracy defined; maybe asides from his microphone work, which seems to be nothing more than Randy Orton-esq with a Scotish accent.

He's good in the ring, solid. He has a good look, maybe a bit lankey but he has a good build, resembles a less muscular Triple H when he debuted in the WWE. McIntyre has poor talking skills, dudes voice drains the life out of any and everything. He needs to drop the robotic tone crap, monotones work for the likes of Orton because Randy was well established and over when he began doing it. It also goes well with the Viper gimmick, but the dude is Scotish, doesn't mean he has to talk like a drone.

McIntyre supposedly got bad press in the back after rubbing people the wrong way, he may have taken the "Chosen One" monicker a bit too realistically. He's also not over with the crowd, and when you push someone like him the way he did, and he didn't get over, so WWE probably lost faith in him too. And remember, he brought a bad shadow over the WWE with the Tiffany fiasco.

Therefore, not only did McIntyre drop the ball, but he was holding onto it with borrowed time. I don't even think the whole spot with Show on RAW will lead to anything. They needed someone for Show to attempt the Chokeslam for Henry to tackle Show - and McIntyre was the scapegoat.

They dropped the ball on him because he's stared to get cocky in the backstage ( getting big push to the moon ) so they decided to de-push him

Oh my God, Drew McIntyre hasn't won 97 World titles in less than 2 years since returning to television, the WWE hates him, de-pushes him, dropped the ball and allowed him to be raped by feral goats. Fuck you WWE, fuck you up your money making, entertainment providing asses, for not giving this guy 97 World titles in less than 2 years.

This thread is the reason it's hard to take wrestling fans seriously. The WWE dropped the ball with McIntyre? In what way? In what world do people live in which makes them think any and everyone should be a World Champion and/or main-eventer, while simultaneously complaining the World titles get passed around as frequently as Justdawg's mother?

The fact is he has two years under his belt, in front of the WWE audience with his current gimmick. The WWE will build him slowly from here, but you can't rush it. If he's not ready for primetime, he's not ready, and very few people are ready within the first couple years of their career. Nobody dropped the ball, not McIntyre, not the WWE, not anyone.

It's called long-term perspective, and the IWC seems to be lacking.

Complaining that he was working too stiff? What a bunch of *****es.. yeah.. lets make the WWE even more soft than it already appears.
You're making yourself look like a fool. This isn't bush league ROH, where no one comes to the shows, you get paid in McDonalds Happy Meals and they run only a few shows a month. This is the big leagues, with live TV every week, flights or car rides every night, working 250+ days a year with little personal time,and working in front of hundreds or thousands of fans, each wanting a unique and memorable experience.

In the older days, it was okay to work a little more snug because the wrestling wasn't nearly as high impact as today's is. Today, people flop and fly around like it's going out of style, even on the house show circuit. Whining because wrestlers complain another works too stiffly and they don't want to get hurt and lose their livelihood just makes you look like a fool.

Personally I don't think the WWE dropped the ball with Drew McIntyre AT ALL.

I think some of you fans expect a little too much with these pushes, Drew has been on TV a little more than 2 years and is quite frankly in the spot he should be in. Drew has potential to be a main eventer (key word there is POTENTIAL) but it takes a long time to build someone up to that level. I don't think either WWE or McIntyre screwed up I just think they are looking long term and give him a nice slow build which I think is awesome because pushing wrestlers too quickly backfires 9 times out of 10 and the WWE has proved that point plenty.

All in all you can tell the WWE likes McIntyre and has big plans for him but the fans seriously need to give it time, if in 5-6 years McIntyre hasn't moved then you can complain about it but right now the WWE is doing just fine building McIntyre. Some of you fans act like he should be the top star and world champ in 2 years, only the Rock pulled that off and really ran with it and made it work.

I'm not sure that the WWE dropped the ball with Drew necessarily, I think they might have just been a little too eager to start with. Drew didn't get a great build, he was just all of a sudden there and now we're supposed to believe he's the next big thing, I don't know, I think they may have gone about it the wrong way.

That being said, I don't think it's all doom and gloom, they haven't gone Chavo or Tatsu on Drews ass yet, which I think speaks volumes, and his recent appearance on RAW actually tells me they are going to start over with Drew, clean slate, round 2.

Drew has potential, and with his 'Chosen' heel gimmick struggling to get over, I do think a face turn could turn the tide, the seed could already be in the ground with the Ziggler incident.

On a more personal note a few things needs to happen to Drew to get him going again:

• Face turn
  • Gimmick revamp
  • Potential mouthpiece
  • Drafted to SD!

The face turn because intense faces are much more interesting than cute and cuddly ones, and it would go down much better with WWE's potentially new focus area the 18-35 year olds, and there is no way Drew could be a Cena/Rey type face and be the least bit credible.
If I remember correctly the crowd responded fairly well when they teased the face turn with Kelly Kelly.

Drop the Chosen gimmick, its stale and more or less died in its infancy.

Drew has an accent that makes my toes cringe, and I don't know why but I cannot seem to take him quite as seriously as I should, despite being a huge Drew mark, working on that might help improve his overall ability to come across to the fans, but until then, why not slap a valet on him (And no, not some inane Diva who can't talk) I would love to be able to give out a name here but I have been thinking long and hard on this one, and I cannot come up with someone who would do the trick.

Or why not draft him back to Smackdown, as a face?
He will get more time to shine there and could maybe reclaim the belt he was stripped of.

No one dropped the ball. It was the domestic dispute with his ex wife, and so WWE's brilliant idea was to punish him with a de push, as if no one in the company has ever had any personal problems in their lives.

I wouldn't say they have droped the ball with him that bad..

I'd say they are just waiting for the moment to come,he's only been in the WWE a little while now so give it time.
There is heaps going on at raw at the moment - with the cm punk angle and all :)

And I can't say he's really jobbing to anyone on raw,he hasn't been in matches to job to!

I like the aggressive sinister scotsman gimmick (maybe coz I'm part Scottish ;))
He has the right look and size and can put on decent matches - extreme rules 2010 vs Morrison was great!
Added with a killer entrance track!

My dream way to repackage drew (and I could never see this happen btw) would be to have roddy piper come back and manage him. Get hotrod to make a suprise return during a match and help give drew a dirty win! Piper would do fantastic promos billing drew as the chosen one! Put them on a heel rampage - again just a dream!

They dropped the ball because they are racist..

That was a joke dig at another thread but seriously I don't think they have dropped the ball with Drew. Perhaps they just realised that they were pushing everybody too fast so they are slowing down a bit and developing them (it seems a bit extreme in this case though)? Or is the" punished for falling out with his ex" thing true?

I like the Roddy Piper idea posted above. I think Drew has a great future in the WWE.. perhaps Triple H will bring him in as part of a new faction.. If The Game is going to be less involved in the ring from now on and if he is going to build up a faction (Kayfabe) then he is going to need a potential Champion to be a part of it..why not Drew.

When did they drop the ball? Around the time he got moved to Raw....I would say anyway. I mean he did have that pretty pointless storyline with Kelly Kelly on Smackdown, that really never went anywhere. But yeah, He hasn't done anything but Job since coming to Raw, so i'd have to say that's where the ball was really dropped.

And another thing, Orton needs to stop being the main concern on Smackdown. I know he's probably the most popular superstar in WWE today...a toss up between him and Cena....but he had already been in the main event for like what? 2 years on Raw straight? Maybe even 3? so why does he instantly get to come to smackdown and steal all the spotlight when there are more superstars on the roster whom deserve a shot way more? Sorry, i had to get that off my chest.

the thing with tifanny and all the legal things really put him down. WWE didnt want that in there face so they let drew off for some time. I saw draw as a high midcarder and a good one but they just didnt have anything for him to work with now. Theres TO MANY heels in RAW if they turn him face it might hurt him as he has almost no personality now and as face it might hurt him more. Change a heel face that has potential and let drew fued with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back