• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WHC: John Cena vs. Edge, Last Man Standing

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The Rated R Superstar is awarded his rematch at Backlash for a title he didn't lose.

First thoughts: Cena vs. Edge are gold, but the Last Man Standing card has been played once to often. Sure these two haven't had that match type, but that match type has been seen at least five or six times the last year or so. I like the Last Man Standing match, but god, leave it alone for a little while, it's over used.

Regardless, these two tend to work magic with each other in the ring. I'm not sure on the outcome, I htink a lot depends on the draft next week. However, Cena will be taking time off for his upcoming wedding in the summer, and I don't expect him to have the gold all too long.

I'm gonna be there front row at Backlash and I have to say that this match excites me. Cena and Edge will tear down the house in Providence and more than likely steal the show. This match screams match of the year candidate or at least runner up to Taker and HBK.

I'm semi interested, but two things really bother me here. First, Edge Vs. Cena has been done to death, I understand that Backlash is essentially Wrestlemania: The Rematches so I can give that a pass. However, Last Man Standing matches typically bore me to death, and like Mr. Bearer said, its been used so damn much recently I think they could have thought up a different gimmick match or no gimmick at all.

But this should be a fairly entertaining match as Cena and Edge work very well in the ring together. I can't really wager a prediction on who wins at this moment, too much uncertainty with the draft next week to make a decision this quickly.

shit, ANOTHER GIMMICK MATCH? We had a Triple Threat, the Mega Hardyz Explode, and MITB at Wrestlemania. Now LMS. Is Vince getting desperate, or WWE turning into ECW, or what? Plus, as a rule LMS matches suck. Regular matches mostly consist of action, refs counting to 3, more action, 3 count, more action, and then the real 3 count. Or so on. LMS matches mostly consist of the referee counting VERY SLOWLY to ten, while both guys lie around lamely selling whatever botched spot they just did previously. Unless, as in last year's big-name LMS match, somebody's collarbone gets broken, in which case the selling is all too convincing.

Still, at least the booking makes sense. Last year Cena got pinned fairly at WM and STILL got a rematch spot at Backlash. The non-involvement of Big Show is coherent. Edge deserves a shot at Cena, and with such moves as the con-chair-to in his arsenal, you kind of have to back him in any Extreme Rules environment.

Oops, sorry, I forgot, this match is actually happening in reality and not in the WZ tournament. In which case I pick Cena, because there's no logic in him dropping it to Edge cleanly, and I can hardly see Edge getting much outside help here. But given that Vince is seemingly devoted now to swerving the IWC just for the sheer twisted hell of doing so, regardless of logical booking, I'm probably totally wrong.

Personally, I'd like to see them go for an ambulance match or something like that. There has only ever been one ambulance match in WWE history and it was, in my view, a fantastic match to settle things for good. Agree or disagree???

This match could be really good, but Last Man Standing is absolutely a horrible choice to end the feud. Do like a no DQ or a street fight or something...but Last Man Standing has happened at least 4 times in the last year and a half. That shouldn't happen, particularly with such a boring match like Last Man Standing.

Edit: I think they only made it Last Man Standing so we could all have the pleasure of hearing Vickie say "Leeeeeyyyyasssssst Meeeeyaaaaaaannnn Steeeyyyaannnnding"

Edit: I think they only made it Last Man Standing so we could all have the pleasure of hearing Vickie say "Leeeeeyyyyasssssst Meeeeyaaaaaaannnn Steeeyyyaannnnding"

:lmao:

I think this match should be good since Cena and Edge always have great matches together. I don't mind the Last Man Standing stipulation because the winner isn't as obvious. If it were No DQ or a Street Fight, I wouldn't think that Cena had any chance of losing but with Last Man Standing there is a lot of room for surprising endings.

Well, it appears that Vince really didn't learn all that much from why people were disgusted with Wrestlemania. Not surprising, since reports came out that they were happy with the show.

"If we haven't done Cena vs Edge enough times already (9 months out of the 2006 year) ... fought on a couple of Dual-Branded Raws (Draft Shows), just fought at Mania ... shit, let's do it again for Backlash."

Beyond ridiculous. This only confirms my suspicions that Vince must have his head literally up his ass, and has cut off all communication from the rest of the world.

I won't be ordering this PPV either, it seems.

:lmao:

I think this match should be good since Cena and Edge always have great matches together. I don't mind the Last Man Standing stipulation because the winner isn't as obvious. If it were No DQ or a Street Fight, I wouldn't think that Cena had any chance of losing but with Last Man Standing there is a lot of room for surprising endings.

They put on good matches, yes. But that isn't the point. People are tired of seeing those matches.

Here is a list of how many times they have fought:

Number Of Times Cena & Edge Have Fought, See Big Show's Mansion, DH Smith

Posted by PWPIX on 03/21/2009
-- John Cena and Edge have had a long and storied history. So much so that Cena's scheduled encounter with Edge and Big Show at WrestleMania XXV will be his 34th televised bout with the "Rated-R Superstar" — at the very least.

Cena has already had four singles matches with Edge on pay-per-view — all title matches.

New Year's Revolution 2006 - Edge beat John Cena to become the new WWE Champion
Royal Rumble 2006 - John Cena beat Edge to become the new WWE Champion
SummerSlam 2006 - Edge beat John Cena to become the new WWE Champion
Unforgiven 2006 - John Cena beat Edge to become the new WWE Champion

Cena and Edge have also had three other multiple person matches on pay-per-view (and another one on television) with the title at stake.

Backlash 2006 - WWE Champion John Cena beat Edge and Triple H
07/03/06 Raw - Edge defeated WWE Champion Rob Van Dam and John Cena in a Triple Threat Match to become the new WWE Champion
Backlash 2007 - WWE Champion John Cena beat Edge, Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton
No Way Out 2009 - Edge defeated WWE Champion John Cena, Rey Mysterio, Chris Jericho, Mike Knox and Kane to become the new WWE Champion

They've had ten one-on-one encounters on free television — at the very least.

01/30/06 Raw - Edge defeated WWE Champion John Cena by disqualification
02/16/06 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena defeated Edge
06/12/06 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena defeated Edge by disqualification
07/15/06 Saturday Night's Main Event - John Cena defeated WWE Champion Edge by disqualification
10/02/06 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena defeated Edge in Steel Cage match
12/18/06 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena defeated Edge
12/25/06 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena defeated Edge
06/11/07 Raw - World Heavyweight Champion Edge defeated WWE Champion John Cena
06/23/08 Raw - John Cena defeated World Heavyweight Champion Edge
03/16/09 Raw - World Heavyweight Champion Edge defeated John Cena

At the very least, they've had fifteen more encounters through tag team matches on television.

09/19/05 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena, Shawn Michaels, Big Show and Matt Hardy defeated Edge, Kurt Angle, Gene Snitsky and Chris Masters
10/10/05 Raw - Edge, Kurt Angle and Carlito defeated WWE Champion John Cena, Big Show and Shawn Michaels.
01/23/06 Raw - John Cena and Ric Flair defeated WWE Champion Edge and Chris Masters
02/06/06 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena and Maria defeated Edge and Lita in a Mixed Tag Team Match
04/03/06 Raw - Triple H and Edge defeated WWE Champion John Cena in a Handicap match
04/10/06 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena and Triple H defeated Edge in a Handicap match
07/24/06 Raw - John Cena and Ric Flair defeated WWE Champion Edge and Johnny Nitro
09/04/06 Raw - WWE Champion Edge, Lita, and Randy Orton defeated John Cena, Trish Stratus and Carlito
09/11/06 Raw - John Cena, Jeff Hardy and Carlito defeated WWE Champion Edge, Randy Orton and Johnny Nitro
09/18/06 Raw - Edge, Trevor Murdoch and Lance Cade defeated WWE Champion John Cena, Shawn Michaels and Triple H by disqualification
11/20/06 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena, Shawn Michaels, Triple H and Ric Flair defeated Edge, Randy Orton, Big Show and Kenny
01/29/07 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena and Shawn Michaels defeated Edge and Randy Orton to win the World Tag Team Championships
02/15/07 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena, Undertaker, Batista and Shawn Michaels defeated Edge, Randy Orton, Montel Vortimus Porter and Mr. Kennedy
02/26/07 Raw - World Tag Team Champions John Cena and Shawn Michaels defeated Edge and Randy Orton
04/16/07 Raw - WWE Champion John Cena defeated Edge and Randy Orton in a Handicap match

This list doesn't include post-Raw dark matches or bouts at house shows.

http://www.pwpix.net/pwpixnews/headlines/239674429.php#

Is that not enough times for you?

And if you think Edge is going to win the title back, after losing it the month prior to Cena at Wrestlemania, you have got another thing coming to ya. Vince likes fans with that type of mentality, so he can take advantage of them and their money.

Now this here is purely a fantasy moment, I KNOW it wont happen as Cena and Edge ...especially Cena is a much bigger market but...

Be great if it's a double countout and punk cashes in and pins cena.

Turn punk heel, give cena time off for marriage and his next movie...

Oh well, I can dream lol.

This match should be entertaining, definate winner in Cena but between this and the 6 man main event I think my friends and i will get together and split the cost of Backlash. If i had to cough up the $40 by myself, no way in hell, but $12.50 a person for ppv and pizza for a good time tossin back beers with friends watchin what should be an "ok-good" show?hell yeah.

I think this will be a good match....yea the last man standing is getting played out but i think edge and cena will make it worth while. I see cena winning here because it would be very weird if edge won it seeing as he has won and lost it at like the last 4 ppv's.

this match will suck. why you ask? well for starters we have seen these two over and over yes its a good match but it will be the same as WM just no big show in the way.

This match will be OK I think, I like Cena and Edge workign together as I think Edge is the perfect heel to play of Cena, i don't know why but you have liek the kid friendly, nice guy who personifies the PG Era vs the "Rated R Superstar" who always has a borderline crazy look in his eye.

the only thing i can say is what the hell happened to show i dnt like the guy but cena got pinned last year maina and was in backlash why ent show also i do see punk cashing in money in the bank this night but it should be an OK match at best

Edge and Cena may be done to death, but they can tear the house down. A Last Man Standing match is redundant. I remember Rock v/s Mankind's I Quit match. THAT'S what Cena and Edge should do. If they truly want to end this rivalry, telling someone 'I Quit' is the way to do it.

HOWEVER, LMS doesn't mean it's the end of the road for this rivalry. That means they still hope to have at least another match or two before the year's over. I see this being Cena going over Edge, or a double-countout. I wouldn't be shocked to see Big Show come out and take them both out. Who knows? Don't count on CM Punk coming out, either.

Wow They Couldnt Use Another Gimmick Match? Hell In A Cell Or Something? Im Sick Of The Last Man Standing Match. & I Expect Cena 2 Come Out Victorious As He Only Just Won The Title.

People need to get off the Last Man Standing is a shit option card. Yes, it's been done to death.. but what other option truly fits for these two, that hasn't already been done?

T.L.C? Been there, done that. Street Fight or No DQ? Why? That's L.M.S all over again, minus a 10 count. Iron Man? I doubt anyone would want to see them go 1 hour, since they've went at each other for about roughly 3 years already. (collectively, mind you) H.I.A.C? Why?? Edge's last big gimmick was that, and he was sent to hell as a result. Plus, it doesn't give a good opening for the ending I believe is setting up.

In the end, I believe the Big Show will have a large part to play. (no pun intended) I think the storyline isn't over between Edge and Big Show, and I firmly believe that Show will be the reason Edge loses here, then becomes a face. Possibly, anyways. Yes, the Draft will play a large role.. and if Cena is taking time off, I can definitely see the title going back to Edge.. on that note, however, if Edge doesn't have one seriously long lasting reign, it's gonna just look like he's trying to be a "mini-H".

Edge and John Cena have always, and I mean ALWAYS put on great matches. I don't recall a single match among them, that's been bad. Even their Raw, and Saturday Night's Main Event match-ups have been money. So combine that, with the fact that if one guy can make Last Man Standing matches amazing.. it's Cena. And add to that, that Edge can still use Ladder's and Chair's in this environment.. it's definitely going to be well worth the "repeat gimmick".

After catching up on the history of John Cena vs. Edge, I realize this match now doesn't nearly have the heat it had 3-4 years ago. I'm tired of the fact that John Cena is the champion every other month. I wish someone could just hold onto a title for more than a month at a time. And now Last Man Standing? How is Edge supposed to defeat a man who does not sell fatigue or bodily harm? Cena is good in the ring with his move sets, but he never sells the fact that he has been worn down, injured, etc. With this in mind, Edge will never be able to keep Cena down for 10 seconds. Here is how this match will go down...

Edge will get Cena down to several 9 counts where Cena will 80's style "Hulk Up" to regain his strength. Cena will then give Edge the Attitude Adjustment through a table or something and Edge will stay down. Cena will win and move on to the next challenger who he will no-sell for.

I dont mind the stipulation in this match at all. I think it could be a good way either way to try and end the Cena/Edge fued at least for the forseeable future, and a few years at least at that.

Cena/Edge have always put on high quality matches and I cant see the LMS being any different than this. Given the history between the two it would not surprise me if this one got brutal and the stipulation will alllow the two to beat the hell out of each other which is good.

Two guys that I think could be involved in some shape or form are the Big Show, I mean would they really drop the love ttrainagle so soon. As well as CM Punk perfect way for him to cash in MITB after Cena has beaten Edge but had the crap kicked out of him to. With Cena perhaps taking some time off this could be a perfect chance to get the belt off him, and turn Punk heel which I think may make Punk more interesting. However it might be too soon to cash in the briefcase and they may want to build him up more.

No matter what happens I cant see Edge winning and I think Cena will retain.

I think this will be a very good match. I dont recall ever seeing Edge in a LMS match, but the one Ive seen Cena in against Umaga at the Rumble was a very good, supsenseful match w good storytelling. Nobody thought the WWE Championship was going on Umaga but dammit, they really had you thinking Umaga could win. I give Cena a lot of credit for that, and what can you say about Edge, the guy is just about as good as it gets in any type of match, so i cant see this being a letdown at all. With Vickie adding the stipulation that this will be Edges "last chance" to win back the title, I dont see him having any chance at all, as I think he and Cena swap places after the draft. That way, he could still pursue to WWE title, and it could put the Edge and Vickie love triangle to rest, and turn Edge babyface as he becomes a thorn in the side of the new Raw GM. I think it should be one helluva match, and was glad they added the stipulation, because the two of them have had so many single matches over the past 3 years that its played out. But I see Cena to SD!, Edge to Raw, Cena retains.

I've been thinking about this all day yesterday and the one issue I have with this main event is the logic. They pretty much messed up everything storyline wise, here's why: the main feud was between Big Show & Edge, it was a personal love triangle what not, Cena made things personal by getting involved and taking the piss out of them. Vickie says the winner would win her heart, Cena wins yet she puts Edge in the match when she wanted Big Show champion because Edge was a bad one?

If I had to be honest, I would have rather seen Cena face someone else and Edge finish up this situation with Show and Vickie than do this where it feels like they hit a reset button on Edge and Vickie AGAIN!

Ok, people need to get over Cena's move set... The guy has improved a lot since his first 2 runs as champ. The guy is good, one of the best at telling a story. Which is better then a lot of other people in the ring can do. So get off it, it's old and everyone is tired off hearing it.

Now, to the match itself. I think it will be a extremely good match. Better then the other main event. Cena and Edge are golden in the ring. I can't remember a bad match that these two have put on. So I know this will be good. Also I really like the promo that they had on smackdown this week. The way Edge looked and acted was great.The way that they went down there past and all was amazing. Cena playing on Edge, I really wanted to see Cena get more in his head, and be harisher? Maybe be a bit more heelish. That would have been sweet. One problem was the way they ended it. I didn't like to see Cena go nuts like he did. (ala beating his chest like a frickin' monkey.) Overall I thought that it was great. Just as I this match will be, because these two always deliver.

After going back yesterday and watching their unforgiven 2006 encounter again I have to say this match will be gold unless they seriously mess it up. We've seen this many times so what? That doesn't mean that it will be exactly the same match up and the LMS stipulation will make it a very good match. Hopefully Cena looses so that Edge can then get a long and lgitimate reign as champion as I fell he still hasn't got one.

The odds of Cena retaining tha title have gone down drastically since he wasnt drafted to smackdown. If Triple H loses tha title to Orton in that shitty WWE Championship then Cena retains, but tha titles have to be on opposite shows. If CM Punks cashes in MITB, then Cena could retain, but I highly doubt that will happen. Tha draft to me was very disappointing to me, so this is one of tha consequences of letting Cena stay on Raw

Yeah I was going to say the same thing.
WWE has pretty much spoiled the Cena/Edge match.
Triple H is on RAW, Randy Orton is on RAW they are facing each other for the WWE
Championship.
John Cena is on RAW, Edge is on Smackdown, CM Punk is on Smackdown.
So with this happening, WWE has more or less spoiled the fact that either Edge
will win, which I do find a bit strange seeing as he only just lost it at 'Mania.
Or CM Punk will cash in for the World Title after Cena wins. Or I suppose
Orton could win the WWE title, CM Punk cashes in on Orton, because remember
Orton cost Punk the title by taking him out.
But I suppose WWE could just have both belts on RAW? I don't know..any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back