• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What was the best ending to a streak.

Bone For Tuna

Registered Loser
Sometimes the best part of a streak is when it finally ends. Sometimes, not so much; ala Goldberg.

What do you guys think were the best endings to a memorable streak? Coincidentally, both of my choices are Paul Heyman guys and the events both took place at MSG. Tazz choking out Kurt Angle at the Royal Rumble and Big Show pinning Brock Lesnar after Heyman turned on him at Survivor Series. Heyman turning on Lesnar was huge and Tazz kicking Angle's ass in his debut should have been made out to be bigger than it ended up being.

Yeah Tazz making Angle tap was awesome. They could have done anything with him at that point. They failed big time.

I hated Lesnar losing to Big Show though. Goldberg was another huuuuuge fail. That should have gone to a young talented heel. not bloody nash.

Not an overall streak, but a streak against Dreamer was Raven's. That was such an epic run and fued... made all the better when Dreamer finally beat him.

wow great thread idea. im not sure my pick is technically a legal choice because technically this "streak" didnt exist....but as a fan, a child fan, who watched this moment it was something ill never forget. hulk hogan ending andre the giants 15 year winning streak. we all know today that its kayfabe but thats how wwe marketed it back then and i happily marked out and bought into it. i was 10, gimme a break lol.

not sure if this is really a streak in the sense you mean either but watching the surprise opponent, ultimate warrior, take the belt from honky tonk man after 15 months as champion was pretty freakin epic. completely marked out for that one, warrior was my favorite.

heres one i hated. watching mr perfect lose to brutus beefcake at wm6.

yeah unfortunately, i have to go waaaaay back in time for me to remember great moments in wrestling.....

Obviously the answer is Tatanka's undefeated streak ending at the hands of Finnish sensation, Ludvig Borga. We all know how that huge win launched Ludvig's WWF/E career into overdrive, resulting in many wins, championships, and legendary accomplishments, right? We all know how Tatanka was able to bounce back from the loss, become stronger as a result, and become a big-time player in the wrestling world, right? We all know Borga didn't fizzle out after a few months and Tatanka did not fail to recover from losing his streak, leading to becoming a novelty instead of a legitimate threat, right? Right?

In all seriousness, this ending to a streak gets my vote due to how irrelevant everyone became once it ended. It's not notorious for how bad it is, nor is it a defining moment in the industry. It just happened and we all seem to forget about it from time-to-time.

Lesnar lost to RVD by Disqualification at Vengeance 2002, so he had no undefeated streak going into Survivor Series.

I don't think it gets any better than Hogan ending Andre's streak, not only was it such a huge mark out moment, but what makes ending Andre's streak even more special is how it put Wrestlemania and the company on the map. Ending a 15 year undefeated streak is an unbelievable moment just alone, but that one moment gave us so much more.

I'm also gonna go with Samoa Joe at Genesis 2006. Kurt Angle didn't need to end the streak, somebody else would've benefitted more from ending Joe's streak, and it was kinda obvious beforehand that Angle was gonna end it anyway, but it honestly didn't matter one bit at the end of the day cause the two guys put on one hell of a match (maybe the best match ever in TNA) that it was such an awesome end to the streak regardless of who ended it. Actually, thinking about it maybe Angle did need to end the streak, he did just come into the company, he needed to build up momentum, and facing Joe was make or break for him in TNA.

A little bit of a different take, but Trips walking out of WrestleMania 2000 as the champ. This was the first time a heel left WrestleMania as the WWE champ.

How can anybody logically say anything other then Nash defeating Goldberg? well obviously not because you're all (majority anyway) stereotypical smarks that jump on bandwagon of popular IWC consensus which has been influenced by bias revisionist history.

The atmosphere, the setting, the players involved, the execution & the reaction was all GOLD.

Scott Hall introduced & used the one of the best foreign objects...the stun gun. It strongly hinted to the reuniting of The Outsiders. It was MAJOR news.

All you critics can say what you want but the FACT remains business went up after Nash beat Goldberg. Don't believe me? try doing some 'FN' research.

I would say NWO/Kevin Nash ending Goldberg’s streak was the best and most controversial ending. But not to knock on anyone I think if you have a decent streak going I think they are all pretty big deals. I think Undertakers streak if it ever comes to an end or even if he doesn’t will be the greatest. The only thing is you can’t count out creative from messing it up to all hell. Thank god Undertaker has pretty much the say over what goes on with him.

The ending to Goldbergs streak was NOT good, like at all. Something sucking has nothing to do with the general consensus and this is coming from a 12 year old fan (myself) and a 40 year old fan (my dad) the night it happened. It was the most anti-climatic way to ending a streak I've ever seen. Business going up doesn't count if it only goes up for 8 days and tanks like a mother fucker when they re-united the nWo and pretty much ended Goldbergs momentum in the span of 10 minutes.

SIDE NOTE: Scott Hall did NOT introduce the Stun Gun. Vader and The Mountie are 2 people who come to mind who used it long before Starrcade '98.

Personally my 3 favorites have to be Andre losing to Hogan at WM3, Bret pinning Piper at WM8 and Tazz making Angle tap at Royal Rumble 2000.

With Hogan and Andre its a no brainer. We all know that technically Andre did lose but it wasn't built that way and the truth is streaks in wrestling are dependent on what the WWE decides to say and not say. They said Taker was undefeated when he beat Hogan but that's not true either. Anyways not only was this an ending of a streak it was a passing of the torch and it was one of the most significant moments in WWE history.

Piper losing to Bret at WM8 was a different streak as Piper had lost plenty before this but he hadn't been pinned since he came into the WWE. Not even Hogan got the privilege of pinning Piper and the first person to do it was Bret Hart. Not only that we got a great match out of it and one of the more inventive ways to pin a person. It wasn't so much that Bret beat Piper so bad he couldn't get out but he outsmarted Piper which is something Bret often did. With the match and the fact that in 6 months Bret would be champion this is a very good ending to a streak.

Lastly we have Tazz coming in on his first night and taking out the undefeated Kurt Angle in spectacular fashion. I think what really made this streak is where it happened. The crowd was red hot for the debuting Tazz and as a fan you couldn't have asked for a better debut especially if you are an ECW fan. Tazz didn't go far in WWE true but the way he came in was spectacular making Angle pass out to the Tazmission.

I've seen the Goldberg vs. Nash match years after the fact because I hated WCW at that point(and still see why I did). Indeed a streak was ended that night. But good? No. I thought it was absolutely terrible. Bad match and way over booked.

My favorite streak ending was Tatanka losing to Ludvig Borga. Sure, it did not have a lasting impact on the players involved with Borga barely making it into 1994. But it was powerful seeing it happen at the time. Tatanka was doing great things and stringing together lots of wins until he was absolutely dismantled by Borga and pinned with one finger. They succeeded in making Borga look like a monster.

I love when people can't get out of the 90's for an answer, honestly the best streak was Andre The Giant who was on a multi-year long streak where he hadn't been pinned anywhere only to get pinned by the immortal Hulk Hogan, nuff said.

Here is a different take on this thread. Bruno Sammartino was champ from 1963 to 1971 in his first reign. That is 8 years as champ. It was Ivan Koloff who took the title from him at MSG in 1971. The crowd was actually crying with this title loss. The person presenting Koloff with the title didn't do it for fear of a riot. I would say that was a hell of a streak to have an end put to.

Hogan and Andre has got to be on top or at least in the discussion. I wasn't born yet, but I did watch the match and saw the people's reaction, and that was pretty cool.

Now from what I actually witnessed as I started watching, I would have to say Goldberg vs Kevin Nash. I am not saying that it was the best, but it was pretty big for me. I grew up watching wcw and goldberg was a big deal to me and my friends. When he lost (which i Dont agree with) at the time, I was Sort of crushed. I guess in a way that's what makes it good though, because I was shocked.

We all know though, that who ever beats Taker will hold this title... If he loses!

Lesnar lost to RVD by Disqualification at Vengeance 2002, so he had no undefeated streak going into Survivor Series.
I never said undefeated, but anyways I don't think he had been pinned up until then so it was a pretty big moment. It was built up really well too with Big Show throwing Taker off the stage, attacking Lesnar a few times and Heyman trying to convince Lesnar not to take the match. Lesnar goes into the match with injured ribs but is still able to throw Show around and just when it seems he is going to pull off the upset, Heyman pulls out the referee. Lesnar goes after Heyman but ends up eating a chokeslam on a steel chair. The crowd definitely added to the moment and that was just a damn good PPV in general.

Hogan vs Andre. We are talking about a 10 year streak for Andre which is unheard of. It could be longer but they didn't go any further back than 1977. The build up for that match was fantastic. You had the feeling that Hogan could lose that match. Just crazy.

Goldberg was not undefeated when he lost to Nash (although it was built that way). He lost to Mongo (Source: Kevin Sullivan shoot interview where he said he made the people forget that Goldberg lost to Mongo and considering he was booker at the time that Goldberg lost to Mongo, it's a legitimate statement).

However, I will say that Nash ended another epic streak in WCW, Wrath's. Wrath was undefeated for like 9 months after the Glacier thing ended and of course Nash couldn't stand that so he beat Wrath so his career could go to the next level because we all know Nash needed the push.

Whoever beat Glacier also gets honorable mention (probably was Nash).

Without a doubt, it was when Hogan pinned Andre. That was just one of those moments that defines WWE, and everybody went crazy about it. I really can't see any other ending to a streak comparing to it. Plus, it was a pretty good match in my opinion.

how anybody thinking Kevin Nash booking himself to beat Goldberg was good is deluded. And to say business went up in WCW following, another deluded comment. WCW were on a downward spiral, and the Goldberg/Nash match led to the Fingerpoke of doom, to which WCW free fell through 199 into a joke.

Best for business was Hogan beating Andre, I don't think there's much doubt there.

Best for me personally? Punk beating Ryback. I absolutely despise Ryback and the fact that he is still employed.

I agree with every one's comments about Goldberg and Nash, However I was only Nine at the time and didn't know anything about Nash and Goldberg Personally or Dirt Sheets. So Personally to me at the time, it was a huge moment for me. Looking back now with what I know, I realize that It was all screwed up though.

Well time to go old school on you guys!! When Ivan Koloff Beat Bruno Sammartino on Jan 18th 1971 ending Sammartinos 2800 plus day as champion! I mean when the streak ended you had grown adults in the audience crying and the announcer literally fearing for his life to hand the championship to Ivan koloff! That was the only time ever that everyone took that streak to heart! I am not talking kids just crying but grown adults! That was the streak to end all streaks! Hogan Pinning Andre is respectful (But Andre at this point was broken down and done. Handed the torch to Hulk) But if your talking streaks you cant do better than Sammartino v Koloff!

For those who want to try and say Andre had been pinned before he was pinned by Hogan at WMIII need to check facts.
http://www.wrestleview.com/faq/?style=light&article=andrethegiant
Was he really undefeated for 10 years?
Yes. From 1977 to 1987 Andre was really undefeated and it wasn't just a gimmick to get Andre over in the WWF. Some fans even say Andre's undefeated streak went past 1977 but records weren't kept as much back then and there is no real proof of it.

So next time someone wants to give me negative rep make sure you have your facts checked out

Goldberg's streak was huge ... he was bigger at that time than anyone in wrestling other than Austin... This was a golden era for way over, big money superstars, Hogan, Flair, Nash, Rock, HHH, Taker, Hart.... all of them were big draws and big deals in 98 but none of them was more over at the particular time than Goldberg, most of them were awfully close, but Goldberg's popularity natiowide was 2nd only to Austin at this point and "The Streak", although I feel it was completely mismanaged after he became Champ (why were his WCW Title Matches taking a back seat to Hogan's non title matches at PPV's in July, Aug, & Sept & sharing main event status with his non title match at the Halloween Havoc PPV in Oct, one of the company's signature shows ?? ) WCW did a great build heading into Starrcade, pitting him against one of the few stars who legitimately could have been believed by the audience as credible enough to beat him, and made good use of his own un-defeated streak in his career (Nash's year long run of victories as WWF Champ).

However, Sammartino losing after more than seven years as champ was unreal... there wasnt anyone who expected Ivan Kolloff to beat him though to be fair Kolloff had a great pedigree, the Kurt Angle of his day with his Olympic experience, etc. More over, doing cleanly in the middle of the ring was shocking, at least as much as when Bruno won the title in the first place vanquishing the legendary Buddy Rogers in under a minute.

I would say Bruno-Kolloff and Hogan ending Andre's undefeated streak at WM 3 were the biggest in the modern era of pro wrestling (Post 1970). Certainly from a money making stand point Hogan-Andre was the biggest, really helping to turn WrestleMania from nothing more than WWF's rip off of Starrcade into the veritable Super Bowl of Pro Wrestling, making it's significance as an annual event even bigger than many of the matches on it in years to come.

Goldberg-Nash was a distant third (At best)....

Some other memorable streaks worthy of mention...

Hogan not losing by pinfall for over 5 years (ended by Andre in the infamous Twin Ref Scenario with Ted DiBiase, setting up the WM 4 Title Tournament)

The Road Warrors/LOD not being pinned from roughly late 1985-1989 (ended by The Powers Of Pain I believe, LOD was asked to put them over before they left for WWF, if they were pinned during that time frame earlier by someone else please correct me, I dont believe they ever lost a pinfall during that time)

Ric Flair's Great American Bash 1986 Challenge... facing every top contender for the NWA Title, all over the country, different opponent in every city, in what was billed as the most ambitious schedule of title defensese ever by a World Champ... Flair won against Road Warrior's Hawk & Animal, The Rock & Roll Express' Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson, Ron Garvin, mega heel Nikita Kolloff, Magnum TA, Wahoo McDaniel, and Dusty Rhodes, all during the month of July, facing some of them on multiple occassions but running through every legite contender on the roster, wrestling as many as 5-6 defenses each week, only to lose on the next to last show in a Cage Match vs Rhodes, costing him his title in the process, ending his 2 1/2 year long run as NWA Champion

Aforementioned streak by Kevin Nash as WWE Champ - did he ever lose a match during that run, even by DQ, before dropping the title ?

Brett Hart's streak during his 1st World Title Reign - wasnt he undefeated that whole run, not even a DQ loss ??

Of course, maybe the greatest streak of all time, still active, Undertaker's 20-0 run at WrestleMania which has included al out anything goes bloody brawls with HHH & Ric Flair, World Title wins over Edge, Batista, & Sid Justice, a retirement match vs HBK... it's a remarkable run, maybe more so since WM 17 (some of his early Mania matches werent as significant, but he won them all, something Austin, Rock, HBK, HHH, Hogan, Flair, Foley, Hart, Savage, et all can not say). This will likely go down as the greatest streak ever, and if someone actually ends it (unlikely) it will top everything except maybe Bruno-Ivan & Andre's 10 year Undefeated Streak.

Definitely NOT the goldberg streak ender.

But I'd have to say Rybacks streak ending with Punk in HIAC. Haha.. mainly cuz it was hilarious

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back