What Video Game Are You Currently Playing?

The ending that I've gotten so far is:

The one where Geralt tells the Emperor that Ciri died stopping the Frost but she didn't really die and she became a Witcher with Geralt. He had a sword made for her. Geralt and Yen we're supposed to live in a secluded cabin doing nothing for the rest of their lives.

I'm going to do horrible things in my next play through. Romance Triss, be mean to Ciri, not let good monsters like that Succubus go, etc. Can't wait. Also, is there more than one ending to the Bloody Baron scenario? I know there's more than one beginning depending on if you let his soldiers go in the bar or not but is there more than one ending?

The one I got was him hanging himself because of how big a dick he was to his wife and daughter.

The ending that I've gotten so far is:

The one where Geralt tells the Emperor that Ciri died stopping the Frost but she didn't really die and she became a Witcher with Geralt. He had a sword made for her. Geralt and Yen we're supposed to live in a secluded cabin doing nothing for the rest of their lives.

I'm going to do horrible things in my next play through. Romance Triss, be mean to Ciri, not let good monsters like that Succubus go, etc. Can't wait. Also, is there more than one ending to the Bloody Baron scenario? I know there's more than one beginning depending on if you let his soldiers go in the bar or not but is there more than one ending?

The one I got was him hanging himself because of how big a dick he was to his wife and daughter.

Your ending was the same one I got in my first play through. I feel like it's the series of choices that lead to the most natural progression of the story .

Yes there are multiple endings to the Baron storyline. Three, I think. I've gotten two of them.

I binged a few games recently. Some new some old, all involving director David Cage.

David Cage seems to be really into the idea of presenting a story that's manipulated by the player's choices and skill.

I recently finished Fahrenheit, which sets you up in a pretty difficult position where one of the main characters up and kills a guy at the very beginning. There's a lot of suspense as you then have to clean up the scene and escape just as a cop is arriving. It's a neat game that you can now purchase for your phone.

I moved on to play Heavy Rain, which has you playing as four different people, one of which is
secretly the murderer at the center of the plot
. I had a lot of fun going through it, in that on my first play through I was able to keep everyone alive and have them all figure out the solution to their own individual mysteries. I highly recommend checking this one out, it succeeds in every way. The controls can be a bit wonky, but when you master the controls the game itself is very difficult to walk away from before the finale.

I started a game on Two Worlds, and haven't had a chance to start playing. I'll post a review on here after I find time for it.

I'm not happy about Geralt's shit being broken all the time...swords, armor, leggings. Is there a spell he can learn or a place where he can buy cheap repair kits?

I've let the main quest cool off for now and I'm trying the 5 million side quests I've ignored since starting the game. W3. I'm on one where a Shreiker is in a cave and you draw him out with a bomb. Bitch killed me twice. I'm starting to think I suck at this game to be honest. I'm level 13.

I'm not happy about Geralt's shit being broken all the time...swords, armor, leggings. Is there a spell he can learn or a place where he can buy cheap repair kits?

I've let the main quest cool off for now and I'm trying the 5 million side quests I've ignored since starting the game. W3. I'm on one where a Shreiker is in a cave and you draw him out with a bomb. Bitch killed me twice. I'm starting to think I suck at this game to be honest. I'm level 13.

You will come upon repair kits all over in loot boxes. There is generally not a massive shortage of them. You can also buy them at practically any armourer. I always have a stock of at least three of them in case I end up in austere conditions in my travels.

Basically any mission on par with or above your level is extremely dangerous. Stick to stuff two levels below yours unless you have learned how to play with a lot of cunning (using alchemy and such)... (unless you use the build I gave to Phenom, then you can kill stuff 10 levels higher than you....but you cant do the full build til much later in the game, so...)

There was this one mission on my first playthrough of Witcher 3 where you assist that craftsman in Novigrad, I can't remember the exact details of that mission but there was this part where all these level 40 and above bandits attack you in an alley and I was about level 18 if that. I literally gained the high ground and spammed arrow attacks that did maybe .5 damage and it took about 30 minutes, but I ended up gaining the victory.

Of course after they are all dead and you can supposedly proceed, I was not able to as it was a glitch in the game per reading various forums and the craftsman was supposed to follow me onward after that, however he didn't and I couldn't do anything related to that mission. All that against the odds 300 movie style shit I did to those bandits in the back alley rewarded with a glitch of all things.

Beyond: Two Souls is not a game for, I would say, 75% of people who actively play video games. Which isn't to say that it's not a good game.

I enjoyed the story of this game, but I didn't love it. I think that Heavy Rain was a huge success in terms of storytelling, and that it set the bar too high for any future projects by David Cage. By comparison, Beyond is a very linear and very shallow example of storytelling. The only variance I noticed in the story based on what decisions you make throughout was in how you could choose your ending, with certain options only being available depending on decisions that were made, which hardly had any impact on the story leading up to those endings.

The controls are a little different than in past games by David Cage, and for me that's a bad thing. QuanticDream added a function where you tilt the right thumbstick a direction that's implied by which way the main character, Jodie, is motioning with her arms and/or body. You're not given a prompt to do so, you're only given slow motion as an indicator that it's expected. Yeah, um, I was getting my ass kicked a lot throughout the game. Sometimes the intended direction wasn't where Jodie was motioning, it was in reaction to a wrench being swung at her face. The camera angels weren't always in a convenient place for me to know which direction to push, and thus Jodie got biffed in the face a lot to my chagrin.

All that out of the way, the game is basically one where you attempt to guide a young woman named Jodie and a spirit named Aiden through several interspersed scenes of an interactive movie. In some scenes Jodie is a small child, and the moral decisions are mainly left to Aiden at that point. No matter how you play the characters, Jodie is presented as a rebellious youth who possesses wondrous powers that can only be understood through great suffering and heartache. My favorite part of the game is when it stops presenting Jodie as a punching bag for society's less tactful people, and presents her as a courageous person who's willing to use her extraordinary abilities to help others.

I suggest that most people who play videogames not play this, because even someone like me who actively seeks out and enjoys these types of games was having a bit of buyers' remorse during some parts of the saga. I will however admit that the good parts of the game more than made up for my frustrations, and if you can find the patience to trudge through an overabundance of character development you'll eventually be rewarded with parts of the game that can make you shed tears of joy.

If I had to give it a one out of ten rating, I'd give it a seven. That's the lowest score I'd give to any of David Cage's games, but Beyond had my favorite moment in any of his games. To find out what that moment was, hop over to the video game music thread.

Beyond: Two Souls is not a game for, I would say, 75% of people who actively play video games. Which isn't to say that it's not a good game.

I wanted to like it more than I did. The problem is that it's a narrative game where the narrative is confusing as fuck, so what are you meant to hang the game on? I admired it's ambition and the acting is just about as good as you'll get in any game, but taking a story like that and then running it out of order was a step too far. Bring on Detroit though.
Right now I'm playing Rainbow Six Siege, Ghost Recon and Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age.

I like FF12, it's probably the last "classic" Final Fantasy but the story is a bit too Phantom Menace for me in that it has way too much politics. I think it also suffers for having a weak leading character as I'm about 30 hours in and I can't work out what function Vaan plays in the story.

I wanted to like it more than I did. The problem is that it's a narrative game where the narrative is confusing as fuck, so what are you meant to hang the game on? I admired it's ambition and the acting is just about as good as you'll get in any game, but taking a story like that and then running it out of order was a step too far. Bring on Detroit though.
Right now I'm playing Rainbow Six Siege, Ghost Recon and Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age.

I like FF12, it's probably the last "classic" Final Fantasy but the story is a bit too Phantom Menace for me in that it has way too much politics. I think it also suffers for having a weak leading character as I'm about 30 hours in and I can't work out what function Vaan plays in the story.

With Beyond; I could vaguely make out why certain scenes were being played at certain times, but even then it didn't flow well to have gone from an intense mission through hostile territory as an adult to being a little girl again wandering through a lab. I feel that they were trying to put together an autobiography instead of a beginning, middle, end story.

I only really felt engaged with a few of the chapters from Jodie's life. In games by David Cage, helping to perform mundane tasks like chopping tomatoes are apparently supposed to make you feel more immersed with what Jodie's doing. Lifting the controller up and wooshing it down to do so doesn't make me feel like I'm helping her not chop her fingertip off in the process.

At least with Heavy Rain, everything you do is an effort toward a certain goal.

Lord have mercy, Fallout New Vegas is on PlayStation Now.

Umm, that game is like cherry cola, I just can't get enough.

I have to ration my video game time very carefully, and Fallout New Vegas is a game that's all "PLAY ME! PLAY ME MORE! JUST ONE MORE LEVEL! I JUST SAW A MONSTER OVER THAT HILL!" I took an hour that I could have used to get more sleep before work this morning, and spent it at the Helios One power plant.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed playing a game more than Fallout New Vegas. I'm a bit disappointed that there is no DLC available on PlayStation Now, but it's all good. The game on PlayStation Now is a lot more polished than the original for PS3. Loading times take half the time, or are even faster now. For the roughly 8 hours that I've been playing it, it hasn't frozen on me once. The PS3 version was a mess of shoddy programming.

Until the DLC for The Fractured but Whole is released, I'll be spending all of my freetime clobbering baddies with a bumper sword in Fallout New Vegas.

I recently noticed that in the PlayStation Store I had around $90 of credit, so I splurged and bought South Park: The Fractured but Whole Deluxe Edition and the Season Pass.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and I'm not even a huge fan of South Park. I honestly didn't even realize until a few days ago that a new 10 episode season had aired late last year.

I'm a sucker for toilet humor. This game puts you in the role of a "New Kid" who's constantly referred to as such, and your superpower is the ability to fart in ways that can manipulate time and space.

Another thing I found humorous was that you can pick character traits that you identify with, but might not actually have. For instance, at a certain point in the game you can choose to be someone with white skin who identifies as being a Black African American, and from then on NPC dialogue is sensitive to how you identify. At a certain point you've built your character into a very complex person, and you'll be confronted in-game with antagonistic Rednecks who take issue with how you identify. I don't want to spoil the hilarity, but it takes a while for them to name every aspect of your character so as to emphasize that it all offends them.

I played the game on its hardest difficulty, but even then it seemed like the battles are meant to be easy. There are some tough enemies in the game, but from very early on you're given an ability to fart and thus cause one of your opponents to have their move cancelled. I'll share some strategies with the different characters that made the game pretty easy to bulldoze through.

Mysterion
This guy is a must for as long as you can utilize him. He doesn't die, per se. When he loses all of his health, he becomes a ghost. The ghost has some basic abilities like freezing, and confusion that can be very useful. The most useful part of having ghost Mysterion on your side is that he cannot be attacked, and he occupies a square of the grid that your enemies cannot move past. Most enemies in the game are limited in regard to how far they can move, you can easily use ghost Mysterion to block off squares so that your other characters cannot be put into range of an attack.

The Coon
The main selling point of The Coon is that his special attack damages every character on the board, and it also causes them to bleed. The Coon's main attack causes bleeding as well, which will cause your opponent to lose health every turn for the duration of the bleeding status affect.

Super Craig and Wonder Tweek
I put these two characters in the same explanation because at a certain point you can learn a special attack that either of these characters can use that is one of the best in the game. Craig and Tweek are very vanilla characters on their own, Tweek has the ability to cause freezing however that makes him stand out a little more. Their special attack (which you don't get until about the half-way point of the game) depicts them as a yaoi cartoon where they profess their love for each other. This attack causes your opponents to be affect by the confusion status effect, but more importantly it causes the shock status effect as well. Shock and confusion are a nasty combo for your opponents. Shock causes them to take damage after every turn, but also cause damage to any adjacent allies. Confusion can cause your opponents to attack each other, which tends to leave them standing next to each other after a turn. Used appropriately, it can wipe out a whole grid of enemies in a few turns.

Captain Diabetes
The main reason for having this character in your party is that a few of his attacks cause the slowness status effect, one of which can be used against an opponent who is on a square above or below that of Captain Diabetes. Most attacks in the game are only to squares on the left or right, so having an effective up or down attack that can also cause slowness is very good to have. Other than that, there's not much else to him.

The Human Mosquito
This is a very good character to have, because two of his three attacks involve life steal. He can heal and cause damage all in one attack, which for some battles is extremely important because sometimes your party is given a status affecting disadvantage prior to the start of the fight. His other attack causes the nausea status effect, which is also a useful way to chip away at your opponent's health.

Human Kite
He's mainly a support character. He can heal and he can grant protection. His special attack (I believe) damages all opponents which can be useful. Other than all that, he's somewhat undermined by the fact that your items can often trump his abilities

Fastpass
He has an attack that has great range and allows him to become invisible, which means that until he finishes his next turn he won't be able to be targeted by any attacks. If an opponent uses an area of effect attack and Fastpass is in that area while invisible, he still takes damage. Many opponents have directed attacks that cause status effecting disadvantages, so this will allow you to use Fastpass to use an item or block a square. His special attack can be very useful in that it attacks all opponents who are on all squares to the left or right of Fastpass, it causes a lot of damage if you can lure your opponents into a line.

Professor Chaos
This character takes some getting used to. His health is very low, but used properly he can own a battle grid on his own. One ability of his is to summon a Mexican migrant to join your group for a few turns, this extra character can tank a lot of damage and while his attack is low he is able to accumulate power toward a special attack just like any other character. Professor Chaos also has an attack that causes shock and confusion to one opponent, which can be very useful when used against a strong opponent who's vulnerable to confusion.

Call Girl
She is a very useful character in that one of her attacks has a huge range, and also causes the defense down status effect on whomever she attacked. If you want to be really cheap, you can use her to attack while using ghost Mysterion to block your opponent. This strategy really undermines the game, so I recommend only using it as a last resort.

Toolshed
This character is very useful at controlling the grid. He has a lot of range on an attack that damages and pushes back opponents who are on his left and his right. This is a very useful way to keep opponents away from other characters. There's not much else to say, but his ability to control opponents meant that he was in my party for as long as I was allowed to have him

Tupperware
This is a very useful character to have, mainly because he has the ability to create a gun turret that stands alone and shoots any opponents in front of it. What makes this gun turret extra-special is the fact that often-times opponents will direct their status effecting attacks at it, which is funny because it can't be effected by any status effecting attacks. At one point, you'll fight Professor Timothy and possibly fight Morgan Freeman, these opponents use the charm ability to make your life Hell, but sometimes they'll do a complete AI dump and attempt to charm the gun turret to no avail.

Henrietta
You get her in the From Dusk till Casa Bonita DLC. She's a pretty powerful character, and likely a means of thanking the player for buying the DLC. She can cause the burning status effect with her main attack, and she can heal most of the party with another of her abilities. I don't have much experience playing with her, as the DLC was pretty brief.

In this game there are also equippable items called "artifacts" which enhance your abilities.
After leveling up, you'll be able to equip artifacts in the Epic category. You want to carefully read the descriptions of epic artifacts and not pay so much attention to how much they enhance your abilities. Every epic artifact has a unique power that can be used for certain battles to give you a huge advantage, this power is described in a scrolling description when viewing the artifact in the item select screen. I've noticed that a lot of my friends who play this game have overlooked this about epic artifacts.

Getting through the game wasn't very difficult, and it was a lot of fun. It had me cracking up and I'm anxiously awaiting the Bring the Crunch DLC to be released. I give it an 8 out of 10.

The Danger Deck DLC is pretty tough, so if anyone wants to know what strategies I used to win every Danger Deck battle just reply on here or send me an IM. It's hard, but worth it for what items you earn afterward.

I'm currently playing the Campaign in COD WW2, I'll probably never listen to another overly critical game review again. This is downright fantastic, excellent sound and immersion that really puts you in WW2. I'm not far into it, but there's a scene on a tank convoy that gets ambushed by fighter planes, it's so real looking I'd swear they used actual motion capture tanks and planes, the conversation leading up to it has absolutely fantastic facial expression that is also top notch. I seriously scoffed at this campaign at first, really with that negative reviewer in the back of my head as I played. I'm really glad I went a little further, it's excellent after D Day. (Which I think I was a bit unfair to quickly toss away like it sucked)

Even though I am in a bit of a busy season of life lately, I'm still playing games when I can. Finishing up the Secret Of Mana remake, been loving every minute of that. The new soundtrack really grew on me too. A few tracks were better on the original though there are some very good ones amongst the new versions. Also been playing Mario Odyssey. I have less than 100 Power Moons left until I have them all. Newest additions to my collections of games are the PC version of Chrono Trigger and World Of Final Fantasy. The latter is odd so far. The appearances of characters from past games was enough for me to give it a try.

I'm currently playing the Campaign in COD WW2, I'll probably never listen to another overly critical game review again. This is downright fantastic, excellent sound and immersion that really puts you in WW2. I'm not far into it, but there's a scene on a tank convoy that gets ambushed by fighter planes, it's so real looking I'd swear they used actual motion capture tanks and planes, the conversation leading up to it has absolutely fantastic facial expression that is also top notch. I seriously scoffed at this campaign at first, really with that negative reviewer in the back of my head as I played. I'm really glad I went a little further, it's excellent after D Day. (Which I think I was a bit unfair to quickly toss away like it sucked)

Playing COD WW2 right now. It's kinda cool.

I've got way behind on some of the games I was playing. I picked up Battlefront II a while back and don't finish it because I'd subsequently picked up Crash Bandicoot when it was released on XBONE. I also got Shadow of War, so forgot about Crash for a bit. I downloaded The Sims 4 from EA Access recently and my partner and I have had fun with that.

That said, the game that is taking up most of my play time is Forza Horizon 2 (free on Games With Gold this month). I really loved the first one and sunk a lot of time into that title. This one is a bit different but ultimately more expansive. I'm enjoying the free roam on this one too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back