• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What is REALLY the matter with the Daniel Bryan fandom?

Hard Hit Prince

Not really working as a
Can someone explain me what does Daniel Bryan really have for that fandom around him? I mean, I was okay with the CM Punk one but this is getting out of hand and I don't see what really makes Daniel Bryan the next best thing.

Is it the beard or the fact that people chant "YES!"? I don't think it's really his talent because I can think about people that are better than him as far as being a total package goes. This is a legit question, if you like Bryan and feel like he could headline WrestleMania above stars like Cena, Batista, Undertaker, Lesnar, HHH, Orton and CM Punk, tell me why..

I'm not a huge fan of Bryan. I appreciate his talent in the ring but he has limitations. For me, there are plenty of others I prefer on the roster.

However, there is no denying how great the Yes chants are. That is the simple reason why I think he deserves to be pushed. He's so damn popular that it has to happen. I'd be absolutely fine with him facing Bray Wyatt at Mania but his popularity commands more.

Would I prefer him to win the Rumble over Batista? Probably. Over Punk or Lesnar? Never. I do think, however, it is more likely.

He's Nirvana at the sunset of Hair Metal.

People believe he works harder than everyone else. They can relate to the idea of being held back due to no fault of their own (which may or may not be true). Hell No! was fun and every tag team success needs one break out star. Submissions can push people to the edge of their seat. The top rope flippy thing is cool. The knee to the face thing looks cool. Cena put him over clean. And yes, the "YES!" chant is a lot of fun.

And I think he could headline WM, I don't think he should, but I think he could.

The being held back thing, plus he's just the most naturally likeable guy on the roster. He doesn't have the douchey overtones of guys like Punk or Batista, and it never feels like he's trying too hard like with Cena or Sheamus.

The being held back thing, plus he's just the most naturally likeable guy on the roster. He doesn't have the douchey overtones of guys like Punk or Batista, and it never feels like he's trying too hard like with Cena or Sheamus.

Likeability and genuineness are good points. In the age of mass media and overexposure a guy like Bryan always seems to come across as a good dude who cares about the fans and his job. His lack of promo time has made it so that he hasn't become repetitive and therefore insincere sounding (unlike a guy like Batista that has been back for five minutes and comes off as a guy who is coming just going through the motions).

AND HE DOESN'T OWN A TV!!!!

All wrasslin' forum types are a little delusional about their favorites. Those with Daniel Bryan as their favorite are a lot delusional. Like batshit insane.

Daniel Bryan truly feels like a self-made man. They tried to bury him on NXT and he came out smelling like roses. They fired him, Cena and fan outcry brought him back. He was stuck in the mid-card, he had the best matches on the card. They turned him heel, he flew away with it. He lost in 18 seconds at Wrestlemania in the first match, it benefited him more than Sheamus. He was put in a tag team with Kane, logistically a setback but in actuality it involved some of the best backstage segments in WWE history and allowed Bryan (and Kane) to further showcase his dramatic abilities which, whilst not likely to earn Bryan an Oscar any time soon, were fiercely entertaining in no small part due to Bryan himself.

After being part of one of the most original and entertaining tag teams of all time, he eventually broke out and over-faced Randy Orton in a series of matches, the response to which was so positive that he actually carved a title opportunity for himself in the form of John Cena 'selecting' him from all other superstars as the No1 contender. After beating him clean, HHH and his creative process once again tried to stub out the rise of Bryan, shifting focus from him to the creatively exhausted Big Show and making Bryan feud with the Wyatt's. No small feat, but a big step down and through no fault of his own. They tried to saddle him as a member of the Wyatt's which is a story that ought to have run for a good couple of months at least. But the reception was shit, and it was a shit idea to try it with a guy who was totally over as a face when people didn't want to see him in another light. That lead to it lasting only two weeks and Bryan getting the hottest reception (not linked to a debut or return) we've seen since..... anyone...?

And despite all of this, not ONCE does Daniel Bryan talk about his treatment, he doesn't bad mouth the company or post a series of pseudo-cryptic tweets. He doesn't call himself the show-off and claim to be the best, he doesn't come out like an equally unsafe Goldberg shadow and pretend he deserves any better. He comes out, night after night, puts everything he has in what he's supposed to do and has the best match of the night practically always. He just gets on with it. That's where the natural likeability comes from. He doesn't politic, he just does his job better than everybody else.

And as far as being the complete package, that stands for the majority of top guys in history. But if people are invested in you and you can give them what they need each week, it doesn't matter if you can wise-crack with the best of them or show people how many catchphrases you can remember, it doesn't matter how you look, nor how you try to look, the people are going to keep you where you are. Daniel Bryan may not be the biggest or strongest or loudest or funniest or smartest, but he is one of the best. The people believe in it and that's why he is where he is today. Yes, I fucking love Daniel Bryan. Splice me open and I'll bleed facial hair.

This may not apply to the crowds and the "yes" chants that are at times deafening in the arenas, but I think part of his appeal in the IWC is an "I told you so" mentality. For years, he had been an internet darling, prior to arriving in WWE. People love knowing or thinking that their appreciation of his talents were right all along, as been shown to be the case. This, combined with his general likeability and his "underdog overcoming the odds" schtick, plus the fact that it's fun to chant in unison in the crowd, and we have the perfect combination of factors.

I'm pretty sure the "YES!" thing is bigger than Daniel Bryan's really popularity. I just know that the guy is an above average wrestler. I've been following WWE for sometime now and it's not like him can deliver a best match than someone like a Sheamus for example. It may be just me but I'm pretty sure that any main event guy in WWE can satisfy me as far as in-ring performance goes as much or more so than Daniel Bryan. Just an example, I enjoyed a lot more of John Cena vs. Seth Rollins than Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins and the latest is an IWC gem.

As far as him personally, great I can see your point he's a good guy and he deserves the success he's getting - but so his Santino Marella, that is there longer and not for once have I seen him being anything less than a great professional and person all around. That's not the point to get someone to headline WrestleMania.

I see it in that way, CM Punk is better than Daniel Bryan as far as promos goes and it's in the same level as him as far as in-ring performances goes. It's a lot easier to tell a compelling story when your guy can genuinely make you believe his words and yet, after a 434 title reign people started to bad mouth CM Punk, ence turning against him. I'm not particularly a big fan of CM Punk either, I can see his talent and if he's involved in a storyline he's one of the best at generating interest no doubt about it - however as I see, when Daniel Bryan gets to the top spot, how is he going to carry himself if he's mediocre at best as far as promo goes? I don't want to hear the "I'm a wrestler" crap, it's non-sense. The "yes!" thing is so limited and so repetitive that looks like something for the midcard. Given everything I've seen from Daniel Bryan I don't see the urge of putting him in a bigger spot than what he already is, he isn't going to over throne Cena, nobody will while Cena is a full-time wrestler and it doesn't matter how much you push him and force him down, it's not gonna happen and this is a two year build already and he never did once proved to be a better choice to that big stage, so as much as you guys tried to explain why you like him, and it's all fair points of course, I don't see why he should be BIGGER than what he already is. Being an uppercard to main event performer is a fantastic spot in a global company like WWE and he's one of the guys that gets more TV time per week and his shtick hasn't really evolved since SummerSlam. Maybe after Mania they could give him another go...

I see what's going on here, you want to see Punk pushed like Bryan... That's what this whole thread is about, isn't it?

I've always suspected little man sympathy syndrome. He's good but maybe not on the level that his fandom suggests

Bear "The Hitman" Hug;4743767 said:
I see what's going on here, you want to see Punk pushed like Bryan... That's what this whole thread is about, isn't it?

It is not. I am perfectly okay with the spot CM Punk is in as far as potential WrestleMania match, I just used him as an example. I could also talk about Randy Orton in 08/09 being the best thing since sliced bread only to be generally hated right now and, once again, Orton is easily capable of creating a compelling story with his mic work more so than Daniel Bryan. It's not a "I would rather this than that", I usually am okay with whatever they give me and if Bryan wins the Rumble so be it, I'm watching WrestleMania regardless. I'm too big of a fan to care for those things (specially when everyone on top is perfectly capable of main eventing a WrestleMania), I'm just trying to understand this fandom when he's not better or more entertaining than other main event stars.

But I think I'll agree with Coco's post, it's more of an heart thing which could also be known as a flavor of the month thing. By next time this year, it's probably Seth Rollins that deserves the main event of WrestleMania.

Nothing really. I'm a fan of Bryan, but the discussion that people will never watch WWE again if he doesn't do so and so is reminiscent of CM Punk's rise. Wrestling fans will always bitch about these so-called missed opportunities.

Daniel Bryans character is one that's so easy to get behind but what really puts it over is that he's so talented in the ring that it makes people feel he's deserving. He's easily relatable as a character which is something he has over the whole roster and as much as I hate to admit it I think the fact he was held back will really help his cause, most people wouldn't be but Bryan isn't most people.

I wouldn't be against him headlining WM one day, I don't think he's the guy but a top spot in the company is somewhere he deserves to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back