• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What can Orton do to improve his mic skills?

mr.wrestling iv

Occasional Pre-Show
Orton Says His Promos Need Work

Randy Orton was interviewed in the February edition of WWE Magazine, and had the following to say about his promo work:

I can cut a better promo. I don't know if I'll ever be a guy who goes out there like John Cena and get away with telling jokes and then bring it back around to being serious. I honestly don't know if I have that much range. It's not me, but that's not a problem.

I definitely could be better on the stick, though. Is it affecting me in a negative way? I don't think so. Other than Cena, there's no one on the roster who's been champ as many times as I have.

So in your opinion what can Randy Orton do to improve on his promo skills? Who in the past have run similar characters that Orton can pick up a thing or two from to heighten his promo skills?

I think he sums it up an answer for you when he asks if its 'affecting (himself) in a negative way'. He'll get pushed down our throats regardless, mostly because he has the tanned badass look that girl fans are looking for. He doesn't need to be good on the mic as long as he looks good. Sorta the male version of Kelly Kelly.

I think he sums it up an answer for you when he asks if its 'affecting (himself) in a negative way'. He'll get pushed down our throats regardless, mostly because he has the tanned badass look that girl fans are looking for. He doesn't need to be good on the mic as long as he looks good. Sorta the male version of Kelly Kelly.
Sure, I mean it absolutely nothing to do with the fact that hes over. I mean its not like he got a huge pop at the Royal Rumble, right? I fail to see how hes being shoved down anyones throat. Hes moved away from the title picture right now. Of course hes in a rivalry, hes one of the WWE's TOP STARS. And wrestling is his JOB. It has nothing to do with the way he looks, Sheamus is white as hell and probably isnt great with the ladies but hes going to Wrestlemania because like Orton hes good at what he does.

Back on topic, I think Orton needs to be on the mic a little more often and for longer periods of time so that he can get more comfortable with it. I think he used to be amazing on the mic when he first started out, but I guess now his character has gotten so serious that its hard to really say anything up there thats entertaining. Its like Undertaker. Its cool when he gets on the mic but if he did it every week you would notice its not as good as others and really repetitive. So Orton needs to drop the whole slow monotone "accent" and just go there and speak from his heart. I mean most guys get help backstage cutting promos, so why cant someone just work with him?

Back on topic, I think Orton needs to be on the mic a little more often and for longer periods of time so that he can get more comfortable with it. I think he used to be amazing on the mic when he first started out, but I guess now his character has gotten so serious that its hard to really say anything up there thats entertaining. Its like Undertaker. Its cool when he gets on the mic but if he did it every week you would notice its not as good as others and really repetitive. So Orton needs to drop the whole slow monotone "accent" and just go there and speak from his heart. I mean most guys get help backstage cutting promos, so why cant someone just work with him?
completely agree. it's as if they're saying "he's not that good at it, so let's just have him not do it." whens the last time Orton did a promo that lasted like 5 minutes?
i think they need to turn around and just put him out there. it's not like anything he says can hurt his character. anything he says will get him a good crowd reaction, so they need to just milk that

I think his perceived lack of promo skills has to do with his Viper character. Could his words be more clever? Sure. But he has a very serious character and if he came out and told jokes, it would hurt his gimmick. I thought his promos were fine when he was the Legend Killer, so I'm sure he CAN talk; but he'd need more multi-layered character to show it.

He speaks meticulously right now and when i hear that i always think you should have big words into the promo or just have a rabid insane look to get it over what you are trying to convey. If he was to speak with more fluency it would be a nice change.

I don't mind his promo work it's the same old which you kind of grow being used to in WWE nowadays.

Like most people who have this problem, he is just stuck in his comfort zone. That is not always a bad thing. However he has been critisized for being one note. It is not a question of him being a top star in the WWE. Increasing his promo ability just gives a better performance. And no matter how high you are on the pile, who doesn't want that?

I never understand how people can be criticized for their "mic work", when they never get a chance to speak. How does a guy go from being one of the biggest stars in the company, who everyone loves...to being "shoved down our throats" and "one note" and "just like Kelly Kelly" ??

Bell to bell, Orton is one of the best talents they have. His matches are always solid, and when the WWE gives him the ball, he always runs with it. They haven't really given him much opportunity lately, and I hardly see where that's Orton's fault.

As far as his ability on the mic; I think Orton is one of the best guys in the company on the mic. He's not a stand up comedian. He doesn't have to go out there and make jokes. That's what guys like Santino are for. He has a serious character, and he comes out and speaks as that character. Does the Undertaker have terrible mic skills, because he doesn't joke around?

People used to say the same thing about John Morrison. "He sucks on the mic". HOW can you judge what someone is capable of on the mic, when they aren't given an opportunity?

I don't think Orton needs to do much to improve on the mic, I think he just needs to be given a chance to actually go out there and speak. I don't think he's cut a legit promo since he was world champion.

I don't understand why everyone hates on Orton's mic skills. I think he sounds just fine. In fact, i think he's better than most of the superstars in WWE. He's hell of a lot more entertaining than The Miz. Maybe Orton just needs a fancy catchphrase like Stone Cold had with "Hell yeah," if the promo is starting to suck, then throw that bad boy out there and the fans will pop because fans don't usually care what the wrestlers are talking about. They just sit and wait for that catchphrase. :)

Mic skills are all about conecting with the audience. Randy Orton however, doesn't have that problem. He's over and over huge. Randy Orton is one of those rare cases where the wrestler doesn't need any mic skills to get or remain over. Right now, Orton should be the measuring stick of handling your character in the WWE. Save the judgement on mic skills for guys who cannot manage to get or remain over. In reality, Orton doesn't need to fix anything. Everything he's doing now is obviously working so why mess with that?

First Off I respect the fact Orton admitted to improvement on his Mic Skills.

I believe he could improve by doing the two following things:

1. To stop sounding like an effing Robot! He could chsange his tone & sound at least a tad Enthusiastic. or the promo's I've seen the man do that's certainly on thing he should work on.

2. Jazz up his lines (I know this a creative Writing issus but still...). I know that the purpose for Orton's curent Viper Gimmick is to be serious but maybe he could back it up by intimidating his opponents by playing Mind Games with him re-eneacting his actions against them combined.

Ex. Referencing back in '09 w/HHH, He intimidated the HHH by getting to his family. He did it to payback The Game for his ejection from Evolution in '04 after winning the WHC. He talked about is hatred against & while on the mic, he did admit (In Character) that he enjoyed punting Shane & Kissing Stephanie. In saying that it intensifed the rivalry. I know I'm a little off by this but hopefullyeaders woul get my point to an extent.

3. Havinga catchphrase: I'm aware that Catchphrases nowadays are overused but if Orton has then he'll have more Crediblity on the Mic. In this Orton would have more value on the mic having more credit towards his name. Ex. (The Rock, Undertaker, HHH, Austin, etc.)

Orton's mic skills are fine the problem is he is a better heel than a face. He should go back to being a heel not many better than he is as a heel his heel promos were good

I think his perceived lack of promo skills has to do with his Viper character. Could his words be more clever? Sure. But he has a very serious character and if he came out and told jokes, it would hurt his gimmick. I thought his promos were fine when he was the Legend Killer, so I'm sure he CAN talk; but he'd need more multi-layered character to show it.

Exactly this.

Take a look at Orton's promos back when he was in the "Legend Killer" stage of his career. His character permitted him to show more energy and charisma bank then. It was sort of a Ziggler/Miz character where he could show off and exhibit much more energy to get over as a cocky heel. Heels like that need a sense of arrogance and energy to get to connect with the crowd and receive the desired response from them.

His current "Viper" persona restricts him to very serious but not bad promos. It's more like a monologue when he is on the mic but it makes sense since it fits the gimmick. Wouldn't it be strange for him to suddenly be jubilant or happy in screaming with emotion during his promos? I my opinion yes, ever since 2007 his character has revolved around the fact that he shows a lack of emotion thus he shows little empathy regardless of heel or face status.

He's over enough, and he cuts a promo not very often so I fail to see the problem here. As long as he continues to get great reactions from the crowd I think he is in good shape.

he should take a month or two off and do some acting lessons instead of going on vacation then come back as a heel, i always thought his promos sounded like they should come from a heel they sounded better when he was one

Sure, I mean it absolutely nothing to do with the fact that hes over. I mean its not like he got a huge pop at the Royal Rumble, right? I fail to see how hes being shoved down anyones throat.

Sure sure. I just feel that he has been pushed down our throats. He has no discernible charisma, he is shuffled around into feuds on a constant basis. Sorry, I'm not an Orton mark, and I'd rather see someone else with a bit more energy get a good push (such as the white and pastey Sheamus, who is working well and getting over and gets into his matches as seen at the end of the rumble match). As far as him getting a huge pop at the Rumble, you do forget it was his hometown?

I wasn't even aware Randy Orton was still talking. Of course, I haven't watched Smackdown in more than a year.

Randy doesn't need to improve his mic skills in my opinion, he needs to be back on Raw. They're wasting him on Smackdown. Nobody from Smackdown is going to draw anything ever except The Undertaker, who technically isn't on Smackdown anymore anyway.

im not so sure, his characters been the same for so long its almost a given that we're gonna get the "my name..... is randy orton" type of promos

Well I do like Orton-a lot. However he does sound bland which is something he admits to in the interview. Or rather he needs more work on his promos. If this is something he admits to then why are some people getting upset? It is not the end of the world.

As for RAW, it is the A show. However he was getting cut in airtime by Cena who is the top star. He does need his own show. SD has many problems with talent, storylines, etc. RAW has its own problems as well.

But back on topic...

He needs a new gimmick.

Two Orton posts in one day? I'm gonna get fat if I keep indulging myself like this. On how Orton can improve his microphone skills, I'm forced to paraphrase Oscar winner The King's Speech, a powerful film about the difficulty of public speaking. It contains wisdom, I believe, which will help Orton overcome his own difficulties. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin. Ahem!

"Shit. Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit! Fuck. Fuck! Fuck, fuck, fuck and fuck! Fuck, fuck and bugger! Bugger, bugger, buggerty buggerty buggerty, fuck, fuck, arse! Balls, balls... fuckity, shit, shit, fuck and willy. Willy, shit and fuck and... tits."

Wise words. Profound.

My original thoughts on the matter can be found in the other Orton thread:

I'm not sure I'd describe Orton as the total package, and I'm of the opinion that he's a good face and as good on the microphone as one can expect. It's been said to the point that I want to jump into a coffin, get buried and then roll around like crazy, but not everyone can be a Randy Savage or a Mick Foley when it comes to promos. There's room for someone like Randy Orton; someone who doesn't stammer, doesn't stutter and has perfect diction; a serious man in a world of fart gags. I dig that.

Not to be too self-indulgent, I think Mantis hit the nail on the head - Orton is 'restricted' by the Viper character, and was much more eloquent, energetic and charismatic as the Legend Killer. Unlike many of you, however, I don't see this as a problem. Orton is The Viper, plays that character well (on the rare occasions he speaks) with some semi-menacing, entirely competent promos, and is building a very respectable body of work in between the ropes as that character. Uneven SmackDown ratings aside, it's not even like he's unpopular. He gets more of a reaction than, say, Dolph Ziggler does, and Ziggler has all the words of the Oxford English Dictionary and then some at his disposal. Don't fix what ain't broke.

He absolutely has the ability to work a microphone. He's done it for years (most notably during his 2009 feud with McMahon/HHH). Again, he has the ability, but why bother?

His character does the talking. He's in character 100% of the time. Would I mind more mic work from Randall? Nope, I'd welcome it, mainly to shut the mouths of those who don't know what they're talking about. His character, as a face, has never really been left off the WWE chain, so to speak. If they were to cut him loose, from time to time (think how insane he was at one point during his feud with Christian), and allow him to go nuts on the mic, I think most would go to bed impressed. But, it doesn't really matter, he's still one of the two or three most over guys on the roster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back