Randy Orton's promo skills.

Miko

WATCHA GONNA DO, BROTHER!?
So I watched his promo from a while ago where he was begging to be fired and wasnt too impressed. Then I came on here and saw Paul Heyman and lots of posters saying how it was fantastic and Orton's best work.

So I thought, "maybe I've missed something" so I found it on Youtube and watched it again. Again it did not impress, in fact it made me long for the day's when people could cut promo's. If John Cena had cut that promo it'd have been 3 times better but not even received a third of the credit. If Edge had cut it it would have been twice as good.

I am not slamming Orton, when he's good, he's good. He really play's his character to perfection. When he's not good, he looks like Randy Keith Orton pretending to be a psychopath, at least Edge is consistent, consistently above average anyway.

So what do you think, are Randy Orton's promo skills as good as the hype? Does he play his character much better than I give him credit for? or does he still need the many years he has in front of him to improve like I think.

I've never been a fan of wrestlers who's promos follow the same basic structure week in and out, I've also never been a fan of wrestlers who rely too much on catchphrases. But Jesus Christ I'd love it if Orton had a phrase that he says week in and out and is something that you could get behind. Even if his promo was boring, like they usually are, at least I could listen out for him to say this one line. It could be a game I could play with myself.

He plays his character well, but he's hardly wrestling much lately. He's talking, being kinda boring, being made to look like the equal of Shane McMahon and kicking somebody in the head. All rather dull.

They say the best wrestling characters are just and extension of a wrestlers real personality. Having read a lot of interviews by Orton I can tell you that he's really outspoken and intresting. He's not afraid to say what he thinks. WWE need to make Orton unscripted.

I think Orton's promo skills are very good and just keep getting better. I loved that one where he was begging to be fired.

the promo where he begged to be fired was fantastic and one of his best and imo he is up there with the triple hs n edges in brilliant promos imo

Why would anyone be hyping his mic skills if they weren't there? They are fantastic, I'm as excited to see how he can work a promo every single time I see him on the camera.

I've alway's been a fan of Orton's, and yes he used to be very very boring at time. However over the last year and a half, I've seen a huge, huge improvement. He's been cutting promos with a lot of emotion. If anyone's mic skills need some help, it's Cena's. Most of the time he comes out with a horribly monotone voice. Where's the charisma he used to have, I just don't see it anymore.

I agree on Cena, until last week's promo with Vicky, Edge, and Big Show, I was dreading when he had a mic in his hands. He's been horrible til then, so hopefully he builds on the momentum he gained there.

I think Randy Orton's promo's in the past have been quite samey. It didnt help with his mono tone voice. very dry and basic. HOwever in recent months he has managed to focus his character more into someone who now sounds dangerous. His actions have backed up this character and he is currently the best heel in the business. I no longer feel that Jericho holds any major threats and looks beatable constantly. Edge seems to be the same as ever and that is by no means a bad thing. He is consistant with his character but i wish they would stop putting a woman by his side. I know this is part of how is character is developed but i would like him to take more of a individual role, simular to Orton's in fact.

Either way i feel that the current WWE roster holds some of the best heels that this business has had in quite a few years.

I do agree that they are quite bland, but I've never thought he was a wrestler that leaned very heavily on his mic skills. He's not like Edge, who ticks you off whenever he gets near a mic. Orton gets his message across by his facial and body expressions. And, in my opinion, he gets his message across better than anyone today.

At first, when PWI ranked him #1, I thought they dropped the ball. But over the last few Raws, he's really impressed me. I personally think he has surpassed Edge as the best heel.

I still don't get the big deal about Orton. I think he's just not that good. Especially on the mic. He does not cut good promos. He fumbles his words quite a bit still and says things that don't even make sense sometimes. I will never understand why everyone from Paul E to Trips to Cena thinks Orton is so great. I think he's extremely overrated in every facet especially on the mic.

I've never thought Orton was good on the mic. He is far too monotone, unlike Edge who is actually versatile on the mic. Orton is much better through his actions. The punt to Vince or the RKO to Stephanie followed by remorse was perfectly handled. That is where Orton shines as a heel. He is selling the whole IED thing perfectly through his actions. And hey, actions speak louder than words.

Miko "El_Miz" Mizzannon;890893 said:
So I watched his promo from a while ago where he was begging to be fired and wasnt too impressed. Then I came on here and saw Paul Heyman and lots of posters saying how it was fantastic and Orton's best work.

No offense, but i'll take Paul Heyman's opinion of a superstars performance over what you think, any day of the week. Heyman knows what he's talking about, he's been in the business a while, and if he sings someone's praises you know that he's speaking the truth because he wouldn't do so unless it was warranted.

So I thought, "maybe I've missed something" so I found it on Youtube and watched it again. Again it did not impress, in fact it made me long for the day's when people could cut promo's. If John Cena had cut that promo it'd have been 3 times better but not even received a third of the credit. If Edge had cut it it would have been twice as good.

I hope your kidding. You complain that Orton's mic skills arn't impressive, that he basically does the same thing week in and week out. But I think you've mistaken Orton for Cena, as Cena is the one that does that. Is Cena's mic work that much better than Orton where you can praise him? No, not at all. His emotion, it's basically funny. He just yells, tries to sound angry, but he just sounds like a bafoon to me. His jokes are corny, he only gets laughs from 12 year old kids and girls who find him attractive. He would have only received a third of the credit for a promo like Orton's, you're right about that, but he would only deserve that third of credit at the most.

Edge, yes he is on par with Orton. Both of those men are at the top of the game when it comes to being a heel, and you can add Jericho in their as well. I think Edge is at the same level as Orton, and maybe i'm inclined to say he's a bit better, but if he is I don't think it's that much of a margin.

I am not slamming Orton, when he's good, he's good. He really play's his character to perfection. When he's not good, he looks like Randy Keith Orton pretending to be a psychopath, at least Edge is consistent, consistently above average anyway.

Edge sometimes goes over the edge(no pun intended) in his promo's, just like anyone. Orton has had his bright spots, and his misses as well, but thats to be expected of anyone. I really don't understand how any person can deny Orton's ability to cut a solid promo, someone else mentioned him having a "montone voice" and that it somehow takes away from his mic work, I disagree with that completely. I understand the argument, I really do, I just don't think it holds any water whatsoever as a person's way of speaking shouldn't take away from anything.

So what do you think, are Randy Orton's promo skills as good as the hype? Does he play his character much better than I give him credit for? or does he still need the many years he has in front of him to improve like I think.

It's a mix of all three, IMO. He's at the top of his game right now, but he can and will get better over time. Just look at how far he's come already, he's learned a lot in the business and has mastered the art of being a heel, and there are times when he could improve on certain things but he'll learn that and improve that.

Yes ortons promo skills are getting better at 1st it was
Randy: I'm the Legend Killer

Then next it was
Randy: I'm the Legend Killer and I'm gonna RKO you

And Know its like
Randy: I'm the Legend Killer and I'm gonna RKO you then punt your head off

overall a great improvment dont you say

First, it's *now, not "know".

Secondly, that generic assessment is just ignorant. Because i'm sure over the years that Orton has only said those statements, even though I can't remember when the last time he actually referred to himself as "The Legend Killer" was, or threatened to "RKO" someone.

If you're not a fan of him, thats fine, but don't be biased.. or maybe it's just a lack of understanding what good mic work is. I'm no fan of Cena, but I give him his due when he pulls off a good promo, to say that Orton is so predictable or generic in his promo's is just plain stupid.

First, it's *now, not "know".

Secondly, that generic assessment is just ignorant. Because i'm sure over the years that Orton has only said those statements, even though I can't remember when the last time he actually referred to himself as "The Legend Killer" was, or threatened to "RKO" someone.

If you're not a fan of him, thats fine, but don't be biased.. or maybe it's just a lack of understanding what good mic work is. I'm no fan of Cena, but I give him his due when he pulls off a good promo, to say that Orton is so predictable or generic in his promo's is just plain stupid.

1st off I'm sorry about that typo
2nd I am a fan of randy orton and i did say his promos are better then what the used to be just whenever he grabs the mic I dont know what it is it just seems to bland but like I said his latest promo I've seen the one where he is begging to get fired he actually did well he played his charcter with pure emotion and it did make me belive this could happen something edge nor most other heels still cant do for that I give Orton a high five for doing something right

Well, your previous comment was filled with sarcasm, so I took it as such.

I understand the whole "him being bland" argument to a certain degree, but at the same time he's played this same type of character for a hell of a long time, at some point it does become a little bit boring.

The fact that he's been able to keep it relatively alive, and entertaining, is a testiment to his talent as a performer and shows that he gets what a heel is supposed to do. With his actions and emotions and even facial expressions, he makes you believe in what he is doing.

His promo's keep getting better every week, and they have never been bad to begin with. You talk about monotone, he's a monster heel, NOT a babyface. The promo where he begs to be fired was amazing. You've got to be kidding me if you don't get it. Your actually the first person I've heard say it was unimpressive. What we should be talking about is the bs that took place after that. Shane McMahon(a non-wrestler) beating up priceless, and Orton that guy who won the Royal Rumble the night before I might add!!

You talk about monotone, he's a monster heel, NOT a babyface.

That is true, but just because he's a heel doesn't mean he has to have a monotone voice, just look at Edge.. his promo's are anything but monotone.

Your actually the first person I've heard say it was unimpressive.

Then you havn't been reading this thread, as a few people have agreed that it was unimpressive.

What we should be talking about is the bs that took place after that. Shane McMahon(a non-wrestler) beating up priceless, and Orton that guy who won the Royal Rumble the night before I might add!!

No, we shouldn't be talking about that because this thread is specifically about his mic skills, there are other threads about the subject you mention here.

Not that I disagree with your overall theme, as I have said Orton is one of my favorite superstars at the moment because he just personifies what being a heel is all about. It reminds me of when HHH, during his heel days, not that they have anything in common character or gimmick wise, just the way that they both perfected that heelish attitude.

I think most people are forgetting this: Randy Orton is meant to be boring the stick.

Why you may ask? Welll, because he's a heel. Would I boo Orton if he puts on a very enthusiastic promo like Cena does? Hell no, I'd probably cheer him. His tone of voice rarely changes which is why people dread his promos. Nobody can honestly argue that he doesn't get booed during his promos, because he does. The same goes for Vickie Guerrero. She sucks on the mic, but she is the most over heel in the company thus proving the regular fans are more likely to boo someone who is boring or annoying on the mic.

Edge's promos are sometimes a little silly. 95% of them are great, but some of them are just over the top. Orton's are always the same. Nothing changes with him which is why you want to boo him whenever he steps into the ring and speaks on the mic. Saying Randy Orton is bad on the mic is purely being fussy. Everyone has a different promo style, and not all of them need to be enthusiastic and ridiculously over the top like your hero, Edge's. :rolleyes:

Randy Orton is probably one of the top 5 promo cutters in the business today. It's not even one of his strengths, but he always gets the fans to boo him by either talking down on his opponents or just talking shit in general. He's one of the few heels that doesn't need to pick on the fans to get good heel heat *glares at Edge*. Orton's promo skills are fine and doesn't need changing and I always look forward to hearing him moan on the mic.

The same goes for Vickie Guerrero. She sucks on the mic, but she is the most over heel in the company thus proving the regular fans are more likely to boo someone who is boring or annoying on the mic.

Oh :shit:, the apocalypse is coming. Vickie Guerrero is the most over heel!!! :shit:

I agree that she is over and super annoying. But the title of most over heel goes to her "husband" Mr. Adam Copeland a.k.a. Edge. Which leads me to my next point. Randy Orton is impressive on the mic from time to time but I agree with the earlier comments when someone said that he isn't consistent. The time when I feel he is over the most is when he is lining up for the kill. So in his snake position on the mat before an RKO or in the corner sizing the opponent up for the Punt.
Edge constantly gets heat. The heat never stops on the guy. From when he walks down to the ring til when he leaves after stealing the victory he doesn't get more than maybe twenty people applauding for him.
For me that is the Difference between Orton and Edge for the battle of top heel.

I've never been a fan of wrestlers who's promos follow the same basic structure week in and out, I've also never been a fan of wrestlers who rely too much on catchphrases. But Jesus Christ I'd love it if Orton had a phrase that he says week in and out and is something that you could get behind. Even if his promo was boring, like they usually are, at least I could listen out for him to say this one line. It could be a game I could play with myself.

lol I think Orton does have catchphrases, he just uses one at a time. His current one is "I have ADHD" or words to that effect anyway.

He plays his character well, but he's hardly wrestling much lately. He's talking, being kinda boring, being made to look like the equal of Shane McMahon and kicking somebody in the head. All rather dull.

Agreed, in the ring he's almost flawless and I'd rather watch him than Edge anyday of the week. Unfortunately he cant get the boringness he's mastered in the ring to be effective in his promo's.

They say the best wrestling characters are just and extension of a wrestlers real personality. Having read a lot of interviews by Orton I can tell you that he's really outspoken and intresting. He's not afraid to say what he thinks. WWE need to make Orton unscripted.

Randy Orton unscripted, it could be his new catchphrase once he's done with the ADHD thing.

No offense, but i'll take Paul Heyman's opinion of a superstars performance over what you think, any day of the week.

Fair enough.

Heyman knows what he's talking about, he's been in the business a while, and if he sings someone's praises you know that he's speaking the truth because he wouldn't do so unless it was warranted.

Yeah but he also thought that ECW was a good product, he thinks Edge is the best heel in the world ever. While this isnt me vs Paul Heyman I would think that the general public disagree on both counts.

I hope your kidding. You complain that Orton's mic skills arn't impressive, that he basically does the same thing week in and week out.

I never said that, I said he struggles to cut a decent promo, everyone does the same thing week in and week out.

But I think you've mistaken Orton for Cena, as Cena is the one that does that.

Cena's good at it.

Is Cena's mic work that much better than Orton where you can praise him? No, not at all. His emotion, it's basically funny. He just yells, tries to sound angry, but he just sounds like a bafoon to me.

Too you? I'd take what Chris Jericho, Vince McMahon, Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan and The Rock say over what you think. They all praise Cena's skills and all of their opinion's are worth more than Heyman's.

His jokes are corny, he only gets laughs from 12 year old kids and girls who find him attractive. He would have only received a third of the credit for a promo like Orton's, you're right about that, but he would only deserve that third of credit at the most.

I find Cena's jokes to be less hit and miss as Orton's general mic work.

Edge, yes he is on par with Orton. Both of those men are at the top of the game when it comes to being a heel, and you can add Jericho in their as well. I think Edge is at the same level as Orton, and maybe i'm inclined to say he's a bit better, but if he is I don't think it's that much of a margin.

In the ring Orton's better than both guys, on the stick not so much.

Edge sometimes goes over the edge(no pun intended) in his promo's, just like anyone. Orton has had his bright spots, and his misses as well, but thats to be expected of anyone. I really don't understand how any person can deny Orton's ability to cut a solid promo, someone else mentioned him having a "montone voice" and that it somehow takes away from his mic work, I disagree with that completely. I understand the argument, I really do, I just don't think it holds any water whatsoever as a person's way of speaking shouldn't take away from anything.

Orton's monotone works in his favour it really does, it should work but it doesnt. It's like something doesnt click.

It's a mix of all three, IMO. He's at the top of his game right now, but he can and will get better over time. Just look at how far he's come already, he's learned a lot in the business and has mastered the art of being a heel, and there are times when he could improve on certain things but he'll learn that and improve that.

Agreed he'll improve, he's young and will become what people are calling him now I have no doubt.

I think most people are forgetting this: Randy Orton is meant to be boring the stick.

He's meant to be, JBL and Chris Jericho have mastered the art of boringness. Orton's not even close. JBL and Jericho bore me to tears, Orton makes me wince.

Why you may ask? Welll, because he's a heel. Would I boo Orton if he puts on a very enthusiastic promo like Cena does? Hell no, I'd probably cheer him. His tone of voice rarely changes which is why people dread his promos. Nobody can honestly argue that he doesn't get booed during his promos, because he does.

In amongst all the RKO chants and cheers I think you can hear a small selection of the audience booing yes. Real heat, see Y2J and JBL.

The same goes for Vickie Guerrero. She sucks on the mic, but she is the most over heel in the company thus proving the regular fans are more likely to boo someone who is boring or annoying on the mic.

Vickie Guerrero is excellent on the mic, Orton should take pointer's.

Edge's promos are sometimes a little silly. 95% of them are great, but some of them are just over the top. Orton's are always the same. Nothing changes with him which is why you want to boo him whenever he steps into the ring and speaks on the mic. Saying Randy Orton is bad on the mic is purely being fussy. Everyone has a different promo style, and not all of them need to be enthusiastic and ridiculously over the top like your hero, Edge's. :rolleyes:

I think Edge is above average, no better than that. Remember I am a JBL fan so I can relate to boring promo's, JBL blow's Orton out of the water.

Randy Orton is probably one of the top 5 promo cutters in the business today.

In no particular order; John Cena, HHH, Chris Jericho, Edge, JBL, Vickie Guerrero, William Regal (when he's allowed to cut one, jesus did people hate him). I could probably list more.

It's not even one of his strengths, but he always gets the fans to boo him by either talking down on his opponents or just talking shit in general. He's one of the few heels that doesn't need to pick on the fans to get good heel heat *glares at Edge*. Orton's promo skills are fine and doesn't need changing and I always look forward to hearing him moan on the mic.

Orton doesnt get booed, he kicked a woman in the head and still got cheered, all Jericho needed to do was accidently punch her in the face. The only time people boo Orton is when he is in the ring, because that's when he's best.

I found some of the post's on this topic to be quite entertaining- perhaps mostly because one particular poster seemed fairly vehement on his subject and yet every so often contradicted himself (or herself if so). Apologies for not properly quoting- I am perhaps far too new here, and to the poster as well. I mean no ill will- just some points of his reasoning seem faulty :)

“I understand the argument, I really do, I just don't think it holds any water whatsoever as a person's way of speaking shouldn't take away from anything.”

I have so many problems with the end of this sentence..... The way a person speaks, their tone of voice, the way they say certain things, their body language is often much more important to how we take someone’s words than their actual meaning. If a person is a poor speaker it doesn't matter if they have the wit of a certain Mr Wilde they will be ignored. As such the way a person speaks means everything. Others have later responded to this point about Orton's monotone- expressing their love for this technique as the ultimate expression of a heel. I am not as sure about this- being bored is different from actually disliking something. If watching something boring I simply switch channels. In the venue itself I suppose you can't escape and thus I can see it getting heat here.

“He would have only received a third of the credit for a promo like Orton's, you're right about that, but he would only deserve that third of credit at the most.”

“If you're not a fan of him, thats fine, but don't be biased.. or maybe it's just a lack of understanding what good mic work is. I'm no fan of Cena, but I give him his due when he pulls off a good promo, to say that Orton is so predictable or generic in his promo's is just plain stupid.”

I found the superiority in this last comment particularly amusing- the idea that this poster has the ultimate understanding of what good mike (Ha ha a blow for the English language. Darn did I really do that?..... I should start posting in gaelic again) work really is and that anyone who disagrees with this notion is "plain stupid". I also love how he completely missed the point that the other poster was making about Cena- that no matter how well he can say something he will never gain respect from certain fans- a point he in fact proved himself. (And yes I do get the irony in criticising a poster for acting superior when I am doing sorta the same. Hopefully not as much though)

To answer the specific topic point- I don't think Randy Orton's mike skills- specifically how he says things, are anything above average at the moment. What I do think has improved greatly is his overall body language. He is clearly holding himself above his two protégées and his swagger (not quite the overtop McMahon) seems to exude confidence. I suppose my problem with the current way he speaks is that I want to like him- I want him to be evil and yet powerful. The fact that I keep finding myself put off is perhaps a testament to his effectiveness of being a proper heel and to the point of Rustys that I criticised earlier about the monotone.

Tried looking for it last night, and didn't see anything that irked me.

-His voice fits his character like a glove.
-His facial expressions capture the story
-He maintains intensity the entire way through
-Most importantly, He carries the main-event charisma

That's what I seen. The man just looks like a champ.

i think cena is in the top 3 as far as promos go... because he seems to have alot of skill as far as playing into situations and they all seem realistic.... not blown out of proportion. Obviously im havin some trouble explaining but hopefully u get what i mean. I find his promos to be comical, well when they arent meant to be. Cena, right now.. is BY FAR the most popular WWE superstar... no question.. because theres not a single wwe fan that does not have an opinion on him.. whether its positive or negative. Yea theres a few superstars who get mixed pops and heat... but cena gets the two more than anyone and from everyone. Ne way.. back to orton. I think someone stated that his promos r boring or somethin like that.. or i read that somewhere on the forums. Ne way.. there no where near that... u have to understand the tone of voice he uses.. the things he says... the way he talks, walks, all that shit is all just part of his character... its what makes him "randy orton" One final thought.. personally.. i like wrestlers who dont use catch phrases.. or if they do.. use only one.. lol the rock had like 4 or 5.. ridiculous.. dont get me wrong.. i found his promos entertaining.. but i got sick and tired of hearing the same catch phrases every show he was on.. whether it was raw or smackdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back