Is John Cena somewhat jealous of Randy Orton's pedigree?

CM Steel

A REAL American
This past Monday night on RAW during another infamous contract signing featuring the WWE champion Randy Orton and World Heavyweight champion John Cena. Now when John Cena got on the mic to speak about Randy Orton he brought up some facts about Orton's pedigree in the early years of his WWE career. Like Randy Orton was hand picked by both Triple H & the legendary WWE hall of famer Ric Flair to join Evolution with (Dave) Batista. And was mentored by Ric Flair himself to learn the business. John Cena never had that as he admitted during his first feud with Batista a few years ago during a promo.

Not to mention that Randy Orton grew up in the wrestling business as a third generation superstar. And then John Cena goes into airing out some dirty laundry about Randy Orton's past attitude backstage and such, and Orton being lazy. John Cena also said things to that nature about Orton on Orton's lasted DVD: The Evolution of "the Viper" Randy Orton. Both of these guys know each other so well from their past together working with one another in OVW 12-13 years ago in Louisville,KY

But with those words being said by John Cena about Randy Orton. Is John Cena somewhat jealous of Randy Orton's pedigree? He shouldn't because Cena came out "super" fine. And didn't end up like how Maven did.

Are you talking about in real life or in storyline? It doesn't matter to me as I believe the anwer is the same, no. Why would he be? Cena didn't have any of those advantages and still made it higher than Orton ever did. Cena became the number 1 guy and Orton became less than that. Cena has no reason to be jealous of anyone he's living the highlife.

Yes. Thats why he always tries to bury people like Orton, Punk etc during a promo. And to the above poster, he became the number 1 guy because WWE pushed him more than anyone to be the number 1 guy. Its fake, remember.

WWE promos are scripted and they memorise what they are told and go out and say it. What Cena said is not his words unless he has some creative power which allows him to control his own script. If you heard it as him being jealous of Orton's treatment then that's WWE telling you he is not Cena

Why should he be? In real life, He's a much bigger star than Orton's father & grandfather ever were and ever would be combined. He's earned a level of success in wrestling that neither of them even remotely came close to.

As far as the storyline goes, bringing up Orton's heritage and using it as a negative is done because it's convenient and easy to get behind. Orton is someone that's been a top guy in WWE for most of the time he's been there. Orton, I believe, is the first 3rd generation star in WWE and it's something that WWE has harped on since his debut. His pedigree was used to help establish Orton as a young, cocky heel who saw himself reaching a level that his father & grandfather couldn't have imagined and that he was superior to them & everyone else. That's part of how the "Legend Killer" came about and not only did it work, but it pretty much turned out to be true.

The notion of Orton being "handed" everything, of course, isn't accurate. If he didn't have the goods, he wouldn't be an 11 time World Champion. But it's something that can be played up and embellished for storyline purposes. For instance, Cena saying that Orton "got lazy" could be a euphemism for past issues that've landed Orton in trouble. I'm not saying that it is, but it might be interpreted that way by some if you read between the lines. We all know he's failed the Wellness Policy twice, which pissed off a lot of the WWE brass so much that they wanted him fired. Orton has also had some notable instances of unprofessional behavior in the past, such as allegedly harassing some of the Divas to such a degree that he was suspended. I recall one instance, not too long before Kelly Kelly left the company, in which Randy Orton was giving a radio interview. Randy was yucking it up, I remember reading, and essentially called Kelly Kelly a ****e who'd screwed half the locker room. Whether it's true or not, you don't go on the radio and call a coworker a promiscuous ****, but Orton did because he felt so secure in his spot with the company.

So no, I don't see any hint of jealousy from Cena towards Orton. Orton's pedigree helped him out. It hasn't defined him, but it's helped him out. Cena, on the other hand, has made it completely on his own by working his ass off in the ring, in front of the media and by not flapping his mouth when he shouldn't be, under circumstances where he shouldn't be and about people he shouldn't be.

WWE promos are scripted and they memorise what they are told and go out and say it. What Cena said is not his words unless he has some creative power which allows him to control his own script. If you heard it as him being jealous of Orton's treatment then that's WWE telling you he is not Cena
I am pretty sure Cena, HHH and other top guys promos aren't scripted word by word. They are probably just given points about the promo and they speak on it.

So, the question you are asking is basically, is John Cena jealous that Randy Orton's dad and grandad were wrestlers and, early in his career, he aligned himself with HHH and Ric Flair.

I can't speak for Cena but I imagine he loves his dad and grandad so that isn't an issue. I'm sure at the time he would have been annoyed that Orton was part of Evolution. It was a golden opportunity to work with two guys who are legends of the business. However, as time passed, Cena got to the top thanks to his talent and is no a bigger star than Orton.

At one point, yes, he probably was jealous but no anymore. They are using this as part of a storyline, saying that Orton should have achieved more and should be a bigger star given the opportunities he had.

This past Monday night on RAW during another infamous contract signing featuring the WWE champion Randy Orton and World Heavyweight champion John Cena. Now when John Cena got on the mic to speak about Randy Orton he brought up some facts about Orton's pedigree in the early years of his WWE career. Like Randy Orton was hand picked by both Triple H & the legendary WWE hall of famer Ric Flair to join Evolution with (Dave) Batista. And was mentored by Ric Flair himself to learn the business. John Cena never had that as he admitted during his first feud with Batista a few years ago during a promo.

Not to mention that Randy Orton grew up in the wrestling business as a third generation superstar. And then John Cena goes into airing out some dirty laundry about Randy Orton's past attitude backstage and such, and Orton being lazy. John Cena also said things to that nature about Orton on Orton's lasted DVD: The Evolution of "the Viper" Randy Orton. Both of these guys know each other so well from their past together working with one another in OVW 12-13 years ago in Louisville,KY

But with those words being said by John Cena about Randy Orton. Is John Cena somewhat jealous of Randy Orton's pedigree? He shouldn't because Cena came out "super" fine. And didn't end up like how Maven did.

He's jealous of a guy who had a bigger advantage starting out and still didn't do as well as Cena?

Uhh, no.
Yes. Thats why he always tries to bury people like Orton, Punk etc during a promo. And to the above poster, he became the number 1 guy because WWE pushed him more than anyone to be the number 1 guy. Its fake, remember.
Only stupid people believe this narrative.

The WWE pushed Cena more than anyone else because Cena was making more money than anyone else. Even before he became world champion, Cena was making up a significant portion of merchandise sales and drawing crowds and the only thing which has changed since 2004 is just how much more money Cena now brings in.
I am pretty sure Cena, HHH and other top guys promos aren't scripted word by word. They are probably just given points about the promo and they speak on it.
And Cena and Orton have never been known to have issues, work very well together in the ring and both men seem to respect each other.

Well I heard from Eva Marie that Nikki told Brie who wrote in her Hello Kitty Diary that John said he thought the way Randy was wearing the belt over his should was totaaaallly copying the way John did it back in OVW championship belt class. :shrug:

How the hell am I supposed to know what John Cena is jealous of? For storyline purposes there is no way Cena is jealous. Orton's acccomplishments and abilities have failed compared to Cena's. In real life there may have been some road trim that Orton's gotten that Cena wanted but who the hell knows what Cena really values outside the show. He's a human being with normal emotions and Orton may have gotten some breaks at certain times that Cena either didn't get or didn't need, but was he or is he jealous? I don't know. I wouldn't think so but I'm not his shrink.

As far as the lazy comment I think it stems from the Orton we have seen over the past four months. He's basically needed HHH to win his biggest matches for him. Nothing more than that and general mind games from Cena. The mind games are working on the audience as well.

The notion of Orton being "handed" everything, of course, isn't accurate. If he didn't have the goods, he wouldn't be an 11 time World Champion.

That's true, of course, although I wouldn't be surprised if Cena didn't harbor some resentment for a guy who had all the doors opened for him in advance, while Cena built himself from the ground up. But there's no denying that Randy has the talent; certainly a lot more than his father or grandfather did. You always read about bloodlines running thin from generation to generation, but that isn't the case with the Orton family.

As to the question at hand, I don't know that Cena would be jealous of the move called the "pedigree," but the nature of Orton's breeding and gateway into the wrestling business could also be seen as a "pedigree" and I wouldn't be shocked if Cena was a bit envious of that.

That Cena has so many people hating him, given his hard climb up the ladder seems illogical too, but we're not here to go into that, right?

The WWE pushed Cena more than anyone else because Cena was making more money than anyone else. Even before he became world champion, Cena was making up a significant portion of merchandise sales and drawing crowds and the only thing which has changed since 2004 is just how much more money Cena now brings in.
And Cena and Orton have never been known to have issues, work very well together in the ring and both men seem to respect each other.

Same can be said about Orton, Batista, Edge etc. If they were given the chance to be THE top guy, not the number 2 guy or the number 3 guy but THE guy maybe they would have surpassed Cena.

Same can be said about Orton, Batista, Edge etc. If they were given the chance to be THE top guy, not the number 2 guy or the number 3 guy but THE guy maybe they would have surpassed Cena.
No, the same cannot be said of all those guys. They were ALL world champions, multiple times. If they made more money, they would have been pushed as the face of the company. John Cena didn't start at the beginning of time as the face of the company, he earned it by making the WWE bucketloads of money.

John Cena doesn't make money because he's the face of the company, John Cena is the face of the company because he makes money. This is Pro Wrestling 101 we're talking about here and anyone with even a modicum of knowledge on pro wrestling understands this.

I don't understand why Cena would be jealous of Orton. I mean, Orton has had setback after setback, he's had to repackage himself a couple of times, and he's never made it as the top guy in WWE. The closest he got was probably in 2010 when he started as the Viper and was hotter than Cena for a couple of months. But at Wrestlemania 25, he had a dud match instead of having the match that could've made him the top guy.

He's been wildly successful, with multiple world titles, but he's behind Cena, he's arguably behind CM Punk, and Daniel Bryan isn't far off him, either. And now, with the likes of Reigns and Langston beginning their ascent, Orton might find himself pushed down the pecking order in the coming years.

If I was Cena, I would be more proud than jealous. Orton was groomed to the be the guy from the start. Youngest world champion ever, mentored by Triple H and Ric Flair, programmes with several legends. Then Cena came out of nowhere and became a bigger star than Orton through hard work and his connection with the audience.

If I was Cena, I wouldn't be jealous, I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

There's no reason for Cena to be jealous of anyone on this roster, leave alone Orton. Cena's the man. He is the face of the biggest Wrestling promotion in the world. He is record 11 time WWE champion. He has achieved more than Orton in this business. Orton has had his moments but has always been one or two steps behind Cena.

Cena might be the highest paid full time pro wrestler at this time. If there is any chance he's jealous of anyone, it might be Lesnar. While there is no way for me to know, Lesnar might be paid the highest per appearance in any kind of sports/sports entertainment. Any pro wrestler would kill for the kind of schedule and pay Lesnar has. ;)

Not a chance in hell. What reason would he have to be jealous of anyone on the roster? he is above everyone else including Orton. He makes the most money etc...I don't even need to mention the reasons why. Everyone else has said it perfectly. Now get over yourself Kid!

I don't understand why Cena would be jealous of Orton. I mean, Orton has had setback after setback, he's had to repackage himself a couple of times, and he's never made it as the top guy in WWE.

That may be the point. Orton gets chance after chance; no matter how many times he screws up....and how badly..... he's pushed to the top again and again.

Perhaps "jealous" is the wrong word to describe how Cena might feel about the company's determination to keep Orton at the top.....maybe "resentful" is a better word, and I wouldn't be surprised if that feeling was held by more people in WWE than just Cena.

Understand, I'm not talking about these people necessarily disliking Randy; it's more resentment against WWE for treating Randy like wrestling royalty.

That may be the point. Orton gets chance after chance; no matter how many times he screws up....and how badly..... he's pushed to the top again and again.

Perhaps "jealous" is the wrong word to describe how Cena might feel about the company's determination to keep Orton at the top.....maybe "resentful" is a better word, and I wouldn't be surprised if that feeling was held by more people in WWE than just Cena.

Understand, I'm not talking about these people necessarily disliking Randy; it's more resentment against WWE for treating Randy like wrestling royalty.

Because Orton is wrestling royalty. He is one of the best in-ring performers of the modern era. He is way better than Cena in the ring and on the mic. And you know what you are saying applies to Cena also right? Cena is the one given chance after chance,titles after titles. WWE even made Rock and Brock Lesnar put over this guy who didn't needed to be put over. John Cena is this, John Cena is that, he is the greatest of all time blah blah ...WWE haven't built any star other than Cena in the last 6 years because nobody got big pushes constantly like this guy.
Most people on this forum are biased Cena fans.

Cena hasn't buried anyone on the mic, he's just responded. What do you want him to do just take a verbal beating from the likes of Orton, Punk, Rock, etc. & never say a fucking word? just stand their like a fucking idiot? that would make for terrible TV, & a boring as shit build toward a match. Cena is hands one of the hardest working guys in the industry today, & he has never shown to have a problem putting over guys worthy of being put over, he's done this with Edge, Orton, Punk, Bryan, & countless others.

As far as why he's always on top, it's because he draws more money than anyone else on the current roster, WWE is in the buisness of making money, so it only makes sense that they push the guy who brings in the most money as hard as possible, it's common fucking sense. Guys like Punk, Orton, Edge, Batista, Del Berto, etc. have all been given the ball to run with on numerous occasion & the fact remains non of them are/were able to out-draw Cena. It's just a fucking fact.

That doesn't make sense. Why would he be resentful? The WWE has done nothing but take care of John Cena (and deservedly so!).

If John Cena feels anything negative towards Orton it would likely be the fact Orton is sometimes immature and unprofessional. But I seriously doubt John Cena envies anything about Randy Orton and his treatment from the WWE.
Because Orton is wrestling royalty. He is one of the best in-ring performers of the modern era. He is way better than Cena in the ring and on the mic.
No he's not, in either case. Cena is the best worker on TV today, and has been for years.

WWE haven't built any star other than Cena in the last 6 years because nobody got big pushes constantly like this guy.
No, you're just an ignorant wrestling fan. Even when confronted with the truth of the situation, you ignore said truth and continue spouting things which are logically ridiculous.

The WWE has built plenty of stars. Have any of them reached the level of Cena? No, but that's only because Cena is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, and guys like him don't come around every day. The only biases I'm seeing are the ones coming from you, and those biases are likely derived from your ignorance about pro wrestling.

Considering Orton isn't half the star Cena is I highly doubt Cena is jealous in anyway in regards to Orton. It doesn't matter that Cena isn't a 3rd generation superstar, it doesn't change the fact that he's the bigger star, bigger money maker and his been on top a hell of a lot longer than Orton ever has.

TBH, I can't think of one thing Orton is better than Cena at. Orton's in ring work could be argued as better but for my taste I would take Cena all the way over Orton, he's just a better performer out there and that's not knocking Orton as he's very good as well. What I'm saying is there is no reason for Cena to be jealous of Orton and just from listening to Cena in non WWE interviews I get the impression that he's not the jealous type at all.

Exactly. Cena has worked his way up the ladder to get to where he is. He wasn't handed out anything by anyone. He got over with the fans due to his talent and that's why he is in the position where he is today. Say what you want about Cena but he has the matches and the promos to back up his place as one of the greatest of all time. He puts over the stars who he feels have earned that position. CM Punk has stated before how Cena helped push Vince to do the whole storyline with him in 2011. The reason he's been pushed down throats for 6 years is because he's the only one that's shown he can carry the company. The IWC's favorites just don't happen to be as good as we think they are.

As a lifelong wrestling fan (Like Cena) I can safely say how cool it would have been if my father and grandfather were pro-wrestlers with friends like Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan. Imagine growing up and your dad is a character on a cartoon show with his own action figure? So while Cena may not be jealous per say I can easily see how he'd find Orton's upbringing enviable. But that has nothing to do with what's going on now as Cena is clearly the bigger star. It's obvious that what was said was an in-character promo to point out how Orton had everything given to him and that Cena (A fan) clawed his way in from the outside.

Because Orton is wrestling royalty. He is one of the best in-ring performers of the modern era. He is way better than Cena in the ring and on the mic. And you know what you are saying applies to Cena also right? Cena is the one given chance after chance,titles after titles. WWE even made Rock and Brock Lesnar put over this guy who didn't needed to be put over. John Cena is this, John Cena is that, he is the greatest of all time blah blah ...WWE haven't built any star other than Cena in the last 6 years because nobody got big pushes constantly like this guy.

I have to agree with this.

I respect the hell out of Cena, but they need to start moving on.

He's certainly a workhorse & few could do as much as he has, but I just get this horrible feeling that since 08/09 no one has been allowed to be as big as him.

I'm probably just being paranoid, but It just feels like anyone who starts to get a shred of momentum get's quickly turned heel and fed to him & by the end of the year, they're usually stuck in comedy skits with Santino Marella & either spend the rest of their career stuck in lower-mid card hell, or end up being future endeavoured for their troubles.

No,In reality from what I know their best friends.Besides he's a way bigger star,icon,legend than Orton.What is there to be jealous of.I guess this is another Cena-Hate thread

No,In reality from what I know their best friends.Besides he's a way bigger star,icon,legend than Orton.What is there to be jealous of.I guess this is another Cena-Hate thread
I see yet another member of the CeNation has read the thread wrong again. I'm not knocking Cena at all. He's a great talent! Committed to the business, and a good leader. Why not make him the face of the company? It was just a question that you took to seriously and looked too much into. You Cena marks! To you guys John Cena is the best thing since Michael Jackson. Smh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back