What are your 3 favorite WrestleMania's of all-time?

As big Hogan mark (as well as a Rock mark and Mr. Perfect mark), I have to be honest...I missed most of the more recent Wrestlemania's since around 15. I tuned back in for Wrestlemania 18. There are very few things in the pro wrestling business that I can say honestly give me chills. Not just "oh, I love Jericho, he's hilarious, etc.," but bona fide, electric chills, like I'm about to watch a REAL competition, as opposed to a show put on for my entertainment, and it's all about the pre-match staredown, and to be honest, there's only one wrestler who was ever truly able to do it for me that way: the Hulkster. It's a fine line. For me, it comes down to three moments, obviously shaded by my fandom:

3. Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior. Nutjob that he is, he did bring intensity, and as a Hulkamaniac, you were worried that he could take Hogan out. A great storyline that people often forgot was built in (Hogan eliminating Warrior to eventually win the Rumble, after Warrior had helped Hogan)...it just epic.

2. Hogan and the Rock. This one is especially appreciated because I had long ago shed my innocence. I knew wrestling was choreographed, and still, the sight of Hogan and the Rock staring each other down was just electric. It would be number 1 just for overcoming my cynicism, except for...

1. Hogan and Andre. If you weren't watching back then, it's hard to understand, I guess, but there has never been a more electric moment then this match, both when they were face to face, and when Hogan picked him up for the body slam.

Only one guy besides Hogan has ever been able to give me the "excited" chills, and that was the Undertaker. I'm not a mark for the guy, but I appreciate him, but his entrance, when the lights go out and the bell hits...it's the only other truly electric moment for me. I enjoyed many other wrestlers, like I said Rocky and Curt especially stand out, but nobody ever gave me the "chills." Maybe Kurt Angle, or Jericho, or Stone COld did it for you (I guess I could see this, with the glass breaking to signify his arrival), but I just have never seen it. I know Hogan wasn't the greatest in-rin worker of all time, but man...the guy just had "It".

I'm in shock, looking at some of these choices. I'm sorry, I know it's opinion, but how hasn't Wrestlemania 12 been mentioned (other than honorably - once) in these lists?

Arguably the greatest match of all-time. Definitely the greatest WM match of all-time. For that alone it's in my top 3.

Top Ten:

1) Wrestlemania X - This had some of the best moments in WM history. Hart vs. Hart was flawlwess. Michaels vs. Razor was groundbreaking. The ending with Owen staring Bret down is a classic moment and was brilliantly delivered.

2) Wrestlemania XXII - Because of the Iron Man Match alone, 1 hr plus of phenomenal wrestling is better than half the Manias.

3) Wrestlemania XXI - Angle-Michaels, Taker-Orton, MITB - overall great show up & down. Plus I loved the movie tributes, very funny.

4) Wrestlemania XIX - Angle vs. Lesnar, Michaels vs. Jericho, need I say more?

5) Wrestlemania III - Hogan/Andre was more of a spectacle than anything. And although it's a terrible match, they made it seem amazing with the atmosphere and they way they built the suspense. Plus one of the best matches of all-time Savage and Steamboat.

6) Wrestlemania X-Seven - A lot of good matches that surprised me here, Rock and Austin actually had a great match. The finish alone was worth the money. The Hardcore title match was good, Tag Titles was great, etc etc.

7) Wrestlemania XXIV - Michaels-Flair, great MITB, Taker-Edge, nice show.

8) Wrestlemania IV - Loved the tournament, Savage winning was great. One of my personal favorites, plus it was 4 hours.

9) Wrestlemania VIII - nice show up & down. Hart-Piper is a classic.

10) Wrestlemania XIV - Michaels put on a show despite abad back and carried Austin on that busted back. He put him completely over. But this had some decent matches throughout, Kane-Taker, Shamrock-Rock, Dumpster Match. Triple H and Owen.

Honorable Mentions: Wrestlemania XIII - I'm one of the few who think the submission match is overrated. I love it, but not that much.

Wrestlemania VI - Hogan Warrior is a classic match, I love that match and both guys made it work. But the rest of the card was weak.

Wrestlemania I - Only because of the symbolism, actually the matches were terrible. But it was important for sure.

3 Worst:

1) Wrestlemania XI - Probably HBK's worst Mania match. Only highlight was Yoko's return and Owen and he capturing gold.

2) Wrestlemania IX - Hogan winning the belt brought this event way down. It made Bret look really bad, IMO. HBK vs. Tatanka was good though.

3) Wrestlemania XV - worst HIAC match ever. The main event was awful and Butterbean vs. Bart Gunn is shameful. Triple H/Kane & Shane/X-pac were entertaining though loved Triple H's heel turn - the rest is history, as they say.

IMO Hogan/Andre from WM 3 was a god awful Match, sorry if you disagree. It was all about the huge crowd and "The Slam" and Hogan slammed Andre before that...

But for me my top 3 are...

#1. The end of Wrestlemania 20. Sure now it might be tainted for obvious reasons but at the time it was 1 of the maybe only 5 times ive ever shed a tear in happiness as a Wrestling Fan. Seeing both Guerrero and Benoit at the top of the WWE, 2 great Wrestlers not just 2 great Entertainers.

#2. Steve Austin vs Bret Hart, Wrestlemania 13. This is a classic and 1 of my top 5 favorite Matches ever. To see how far Austin came from obscurity in the business to becoming a legend. What a fu**ing match!

#3. This is hard, as it's hard to pick just 3 moments but im gonna go with...Owen Hart vs Bret Hart "his brother and beating him!" A classic technical Wrestling Match.

Honorable Mentions...

HBK vs Undertaker WM 25...The Match speaks for its self.

WM 7- Because it was my 1st ever PPV I ever saw. And Savage vs Warrior with the climatic ending was just awesome.

my top 3 are .......

3. wrestlemania XIX : because it had some great matches and the main event was great .

2. wrestlemania 13 : this mainia had the chicago street fight the hart vs austin submission match ever since then stonecold got a huge fan base.

1.wrestlemania 3 : even though i havent watched it live because i was born 2 years later. anyways i did watched this on video and it at some great matches and wrestlemania 1 made wrestlemania wrestlemania 3 made it popular.

Looking at all the WM's I have seen (missing out 2, IV, IX, and 13) these are my Top 3

3. Wrestlemania 10 - Didn't grow up in this era, but watching it years later you have to realize the brilliance of this WM. Two matches stood out here that was Owen vs. Bret (aka the best match to open a WM), HBK vs. Ramon (aka the time when ladder matches were about psychology and not about spots).

Not only did we get two amazing 5 star matches in the card but the story build around the Championship was also great. Of course none of these matches were classics but the story behind them was what played out so well. Especially when Bret won, seeing him victorious after loosing to his brother earlier in the card, with all the faces celebrating with Bret, a jealous Owen stands in the walk way saying something like "it should have been me". Brilliant ending for a WM.

2. Wrestlemania XIV - This is the Wrestlemania that officially began the Attitude Era, I don't need to discuss further on the impact that had with the WWE. However, lets look at the build up, one can say this is the last WM that actually had long satisfying build ups throughout the whole card.

Austin and Michaels, rightfully started its build up when Austin won the Rumble and adding tension with Mike Tyson, Rock and Shamrock had nearly 5 months to build up starting at Survivor Series 1997, Owen and Triple H was a rivarly that spawned from the Montreal Screw Job, Foley/Funk vs. The Outlaws was another match that had 3 months to build up, the Undertaker and Kane w/ Paul Bearer was a long invested storyline that started as early as after Taker won the Title at WM13 and paid off beautifully at WMXIV.

Of course these matches delivered all throughout. Austin's main event run started and that alone made WMXIV a landmark.

1. Wrestlemania XIX - Best Wrestlemania ever!!! The Safeco Field was a perfect venue for Wrestlemania. A huge stadium with a great outdoor feel made this event feel progressive through the hours, from the sunny sky Mysterio vs. Hardy, the sun set of Jericho and Michaels, and the night sky for Lesnar and Angle.

Match wise this was a perfect example of a supercard. Hogan vs. McMahon was a pseudo dream match, Austin and Rock went at it for a third time and the most Wrestling driven match they had, Booker and Triple H had a great underrated bout, and Angle/Lesnar and HBK/Y2J were examples of pure athleticism.

These are my top 3. Of course I have a few honorable mentions

Wrestlemania VIII and Wrestlemania 21 were candidates here, starting out great in the first half but kind of lacked spark on the last moments.

Wrestlemania X-Seven - Probably was 4th place for me, it was also an amazing PPV but hey there can only be room for 3 in a Top 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back