Week 5: Lariat -versus- Gelgarin

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Will Danielson leave the greatest legacy in Ring Of Honor?

Gelgarin is the home debater, he gets to choose which side of the debate he is on first, but he has 24 hours.

Remember to read the rules. This thread is only for the debaters.

This round ends Friday 1:00 pm Pacific

As I'm not too familiar with Ring of Honor, there are a few of their wrestlers that stuck out with me. One was Samoa Joe and his legendary matches. The other was CM Punk. The most recent one was Nigel McGuiness. NO mention of Bryan Danielson. In saying that, to make the statement that Danielson will leave the greatest legacy in ROH would not be the case. The simple reason is that unless you’re a pure fan of ROH, most wrestling aficionados wouldn’t have an idea who he was. Does that take away from Danielson as a wrestler? Absolutely not. But when we talk about a legacy, we have to talk about a lasting impact. About someone who had such an impact that when you think of the organization, you think or Bryan Danielson. But to me, as a passive fan, when I think of ROH, I don’t think of Danielson. I think of someone like Joe, Punk, or McGuiness, or even Austin Aries.

The bottom line is Danielson had a humble beginning as a backyard wrestler, and in doing research on his matches, came to find out his unique brand of offense rivals Punk. He’s a great athlete who made an impact wherever he was. But to say he’ll leave the greatest legacy is a bold statement. Austin Aries and Nigel McGuiness have never jumped ship to either of the major companies as of yet. They still have chances to leave a bigger legacy than Danielson did. The worst mistake the American Dragon made was by leaving for the WWE, where he wasn’t real successful in the first place. I recall a match he had with a young up and comer named John Cena. Cena beat him clean with the Protoplex, which isn’t even his finisher anymore. Danielson’s legacy won’t be as big now that he’s left for bigger pastures. If Nigel McGuiness or Aries never leave, then one of those two wrestlers may have the biggest legacy. As of right now, I can’t safely say that Danielson has it, mainly because he’s not as well known to the average wrestling fan as a McGuiness or Aries or Punk or Joe. It’s all in loyalty, and Danielson’s legacy would be a lot more set in stone if he never left. It’s not like he’s leaving a sinking ship. ROH is thriving as an Indy promotion and competition is still to be had.

So to say that Danielson has left the biggest legacy is a statement I can’t agree with. Nigel and Aries still have time to make a huge impact and possibly lead the promotion in the future. When it’s all said and done, one of those two wrestlers may be able to take the title of most legendary ROH wrestler or wrestler who left their biggest mark/legacy in ROH. Only time will tell and as of right now, time tells me that Danielson hasn’t left the legacy many thinks he has left.

Bryan Danielson will leave the greatest legacy in Ring of Honor history.

A large section of this round appears to be based around trying to pass of hastily researched information as legitimate knowledge, and since I have every intention of trying my hand at this policy later on, I think it would be a very good idea to kick off my opening argument with an absolute and unmistakable truth.

I fucking hate Ring of Honor. I think the shows are absolutely horrifically structured to the point at which I am burned out two to three matches in. I think the wrestling is too choreographed and the entertainment sections so laughably bad as to make me reconsider whether Daytime Hospital should be making a clean sweep of the Emmys. I also think that they can’t spell the word Honour properly; but I am very graciously willing to let them off on that front.

Now before I totally sabotage my own chances for the points on clarity of debate, I might as well explain why the little hate speech above is relevant. As mentioned I neither like, nor watch, Ring of Honor. If this debate was of Tyler Black, Delirious, the faux Briscoes or even Jerry Lynn then I’d be busy slashing my own wrists. But I know who Bryan Danielson is. Danielson is the only star in RoH history to transcend the company and become known to mainstream wrestling fans.

Lariat has already offered Punk and Joe as counterpoints to this argument; but I don’t think that’s accurate. Punk and Joe are certainly better known ‘now’ on account of their status with mainstream wrestling companies, but their RoH legacy is much, much smaller. Punk and Joe never received the amount of attention Danielson did until after they had left the company; at which point their Ring of Honor legacy had come to a close and their WWE and TNA legacies had begun to grow. Danielson is the only star in RoH history to transcend the company and become known to mainstream wresting fans.

Since 2008 no fewer than ten separate threads have been made on our very own forum dedicated to the topic of Bryan Danielson. This includes threads asking if he should go to WWE and more impressively, multiple threads comparing him in talent to John Cena. The only people John Cena gets regularly compared to on this forum are Hogan, Austin, Rock and Danielson. He doesn’t get compared to Austin Aeries, he doesn’t get compared to Nigel McGuinness and he sure as hell doesn’t get compared to Claudio Castagnoli (I totally ran out of Ring of Honor guys there). Just to back this assertion up, I ran a search for threads about Aeries and McGuinness and found that, combined; they had generated a grant total of four, one of which was also about Brain Danielson, and two of which were asking if Austin Aeries looked like a hobbit. The pair are quite simply not on the same level as Bryan Danielson.

Now, there is an argument that they might “become” better, and to be honest it’s quite a hard one for me to disprove on account of having left my time machine at the drycleaners. Neither of us can realistically say whether they’ll become bigger stars or not... you think so; personally I doubt it. You’re probably lying and I’m not, but we shouldn’t let a little thing like that get in the way. Fortunately for me however we are not talking about ability; we are talking about legacy. There is a simply and hard to deny truth when it comes to defining legacy, and that is that the guy who comes first always has an advantage. John Cena has easily done as much in professional wrestling as the Rock, but even in another ten years people will still be comparing the two. Similarly the Rock and Stone Cold will forever be compared to Hulk Hogan. Hogan was the WWF’s first superstar (Bruno doesn’t count) and everyone who comes after will always be in his shadow.

This logic is not limited to wrestlers. It’s the same with sports stars, musicians and even presidents. Poll people on their favorite US president and George Washington will finish unaccountably highly. The Beatles and the Rolling Stones will never stop being called the greatest rock bands of all time. There are hundreds of people out there who will list Pele as the greatest footballer of all time, in spite of any level of objective analysis telling us that this is not the case. Being a pioneer massively amplifies the legacy one leaves, and Danielson is the Pioneer of Ring of Honour.

Bryan Danielson is one of the founding fathers of RoH (along with Chris Daniels and Low Ki). That's not me making up snazzy terminology; that's what the company calls them. He competed on the promotions first ever card and has been the most consistent face over there since the company’s conception. If I may smear the promotion again, RoH is a company full of traditional smarky darlings and their poor pretence at technical wrestling. There’s seldom a man on the roster who isn’t some kind of technical legend, but it’s always been the American Dragon for whom the fans chanted “best in the world”.

Right now Brian Danielson is on a plateau high above anybody else in company history. He’s garnered more mainstream attention whilst in the company than anybody else who wasn’t Ric Flair. He’s taken the promotion through the darkest period of independent nothingness to having regular media coverage and appearing of television. He’s the biggest star they’ve got. He’s the biggest star they’ve had, and when it comes down to it, he’s going to be the biggest star they'll ever see. Dismissing that simply because somebody else who’s been spending the past half decade playing second fiddle to him might suddenly polymorph into Hulk Hogan seems more than a little preposterous.

I think we’re both objective enough to say that Bryan Danielson isn’t the best in the world; but he’s the closest RoH is ever likely to get.

Gelgarin makes great points. Danielson is known as the founding father of Ring of Honor and wrestled on its first card. But I bring another counterpoint into this discussion. Just because someone was the ‘founding father’ of something doesn’t exactly equal a legacy. A perfect example of this is someone whom most if not ALL wrestling fans are familiar with. I’m talking about Jeff Jarrett. You might ask, “Lariat. How the hell do Jarrett and Danielson fit into the same conversation?” Here’s my answer to that.

Jeff Jarrett is known by all as the ‘founding father’ of TNA wrestling. Most modern wrestling fans associate him with that brand, however to say that he’ll leave the greatest LEGACY in TNA, is something that’s not going to happen. When many think of Jarrett, they think of avenues other than TNA wrestling. They think of his work in Memphis as the son of Jerry Jarrett, or his work as Double J in the WWF, or as the Chosen One in the WCW. There are many others in TNA that will leave a greater legacy that Jarrett. AJ Styles is one, and Samoa Joe is probably another. Jeff Jarrett may have been the founder of TNA and put it on the map, but his legacy won’t be in TNA, it will be in Memphis.

Now, as far as Bryan Danielson leaving his legacy in ROH? Yea, he’ll have one. But will he be known as someone who was associated with ROH in five years? TEN years? That’s something only time will tell. Right now, there are other wrestlers that can build a better legacy than Danielson. Aries and McGuiness. Who knows what roads lay ahead of Danielson? What if he becomes a legend in another more prominent promotion besides ROH? Like Jarrett, he is a founding father and has a legacy in a promotion, but it’s not what he’s known for. Many associate Bryan Danielson with Japanese style wrestling; others associate him as a jobber in the WWE to John Cena. As far as a legacy goes, we’re talking about a strong word. And as of right now, I can’t say that Danielson has left the biggest legacy. I can say that he might when it’s all said and done, but as of right now, I can’t say that in good faith.

It’s all about the path that Danielson takes at this point. For going to the WWE, Danielson might have left plenty of wiggle room for someone to have a better legacy in Ring of Honor because of this. McGuiness and Aries haven’t left for greener pastures yet. And if they don’t, either one of them could possibly take Danielson over in that department.

Gelgarin makes great points. Danielson is known as the founding father of Ring of Honor and wrestled on its first card. But I bring another counterpoint into this discussion. Just because someone was the ‘founding father’ of something doesn’t exactly equal a legacy. A perfect example of this is someone whom most if not ALL wrestling fans are familiar with. I’m talking about Jeff Jarrett. You might ask, “Lariat. How the hell do Jarrett and Danielson fit into the same conversation?” Here’s my answer to that.

Jeff Jarrett is known by all as the ‘founding father’ of TNA wrestling. Most modern wrestling fans associate him with that brand, however to say that he’ll leave the greatest LEGACY in TNA, is something that’s not going to happen. When many think of Jarrett, they think of avenues other than TNA wrestling. They think of his work in Memphis as the son of Jerry Jarrett, or his work as Double J in the WWF, or as the Chosen One in the WCW. There are many others in TNA that will leave a greater legacy that Jarrett. AJ Styles is one, and Samoa Joe is probably another. Jeff Jarrett may have been the founder of TNA and put it on the map, but his legacy won’t be in TNA, it will be in Memphis.

I fear that you are missing the point of the question here Lariat. The syntax were pretty unclear, but we're talking about whether Danielson's legacy will be the biggest in RoH, not whether RoH will be the biggest part of the American Dragon's legacy.
Whether Double J is remembered for TNA is not a relevant example; what's relevant is whether TNA is remembered for Jeff Jarrett.

If you think that when people look back over the history of TNA that they are going to remember Somoa Joe as more important to the company than Jeff Jarrett then you're mournfully mistaken. You yourself admit, Jarrett but TNA on the map, much as Danielson did for RoH, and their legacies are set in stone.

Now, as far as Bryan Danielson leaving his legacy in ROH? Yea, he’ll have one. But will he be known as someone who was associated with ROH in five years? TEN years? That’s something only time will tell. Right now, there are other wrestlers that can build a better legacy than Danielson. Aries and McGuiness. Who knows what roads lay ahead of Danielson? What if he becomes a legend in another more prominent promotion besides ROH? Like Jarrett, he is a founding father and has a legacy in a promotion, but it’s not what he’s known for. Many associate Bryan Danielson with Japanese style wrestling; others associate him as a jobber in the WWE to John Cena. As far as a legacy goes, we’re talking about a strong word. And as of right now, I can’t say that Danielson has left the biggest legacy. I can say that he might when it’s all said and done, but as of right now, I can’t say that in good faith.

I'm not going to lie to you; deciphering that paragraph gave me some difficulty. Like I said before; down the line whether or not Danielson is remembered for his RoH of WWE work is immaterial; what matters is that his contributions to RoH are remembered above all others.

Just for the record though; nobody remembers Danielson as a guy who worked a couple of velocity matches, just like nobody thinks of Joe as that guy who wrestled Essa Rios. The only reason that those matches are recognised in the first place is because of the stature that those guys have later gone on to build.

As for your actual counterargument... what can I say? You seem to be very depended on that somebody 'might' leave a greater legacy in RoH... despite all the evidence being against it happening.
Even is Austin Aeries goes on to main event in the company for another decade, everyone is still going to remember that, whilst Danielson was there, Aeries was playing second fiddle.

It was Danielson who took RoH from a generic little indy federation and earned it national exposer. It was Danielson at the helm when RoH stepped up to take the mantle of number three promotion in America. Danielson was the companies most recognisable face when RoH finally took the biggest step in company history and signed a TV deal. Even Hulk Hogan can't be said to have taken a company that far.

Right now to those outside of the company, Danielson is Ring of Honor... and I don't see that changing. Sure it's possible that, with Nigel McGuinness at the helm, RoH is going to suddenly grow into America's most loves wrestling promotion, but I don't see it happening, and neither do you.

Danielson has done more for the company than nay other man alive. He is the most high profile man the company's ever had. He's taken the company further than anybody else.

You're right, it's possible that somebody might out do him, but I don't think it's likely, and neither do you.

I fear that you are missing the point of the question here Lariat. The syntax were pretty unclear, but we're talking about whether Danielson's legacy will be the biggest in RoH, not whether RoH will be the biggest part of the American Dragon's legacy.
Whether Double J is remembered for TNA is not a relevant example; what's relevant is whether TNA is remembered for Jeff Jarrett.

Well, if the question is whether ROH will be the biggest part of Danielson's legacy, that's still up for debate. He just signed with the WWE full time. Only time will tell as far as how far he can go in the WWE. So, its only speculation at this point, and to be honest, if given the chance, the American Dragon can leave a HUGE mark in the WWE. Only time will tell though. And yes, the question is pretty unclear and frankly, I have very little clue other than watching some of Danielson's work on YouTube and word of mouth.

If you think that when people look back over the history of TNA that they are going to remember Somoa Joe as more important to the company than Jeff Jarrett then you're mournfully mistaken. You yourself admit, Jarrett but TNA on the map, much as Danielson did for RoH, and their legacies are set in stone.

I may or may not have said that, but to be honest, this whole topic's thrown me off. Samoa Joe might not have a bigger legacy than Jarrett, but other wrestlers could, and that's what my comparison was based on.

I'm not going to lie to you; deciphering that paragraph gave me some difficulty. Like I said before; down the line whether or not Danielson is remembered for his RoH of WWE work is immaterial; what matters is that his contributions to RoH are remembered above all others.

This may be true, but at this point, ROH is still active. IF ROH folded today, I'd say that Danielson would have the biggest legacy. Right now, there's still plenty of life in the ROH and as much as Danielson meant to ROH, someone can leave a bigger mark and bigger legacy than Danielson did. It's possible.

Just for the record though; nobody remembers Danielson as a guy who worked a couple of velocity matches, just like nobody thinks of Joe as that guy who wrestled Essa Rios. The only reason that those matches are recognised in the first place is because of the stature that those guys have later gone on to build.

As a wrestling fan, I knew nothing of Bryan Danielson. That may say a lot more about me as a fan, but I don't care. I never really payed attention to ROH. It's never available on TV and I usually don't see it as often on the internet unless someone brings it to my attention. So as far as a legacy is concerned, and what I remember Danielson for. I remember him from his matches against John Cena on Velocity. But that's just me, and I know I'm in the minority on that.

As for your actual counterargument... what can I say? You seem to be very depended on that somebody 'might' leave a greater legacy in RoH... despite all the evidence being against it happening.
Even is Austin Aeries goes on to main event in the company for another decade, everyone is still going to remember that, whilst Danielson was there, Aeries was playing second fiddle.

Only hardcore marks of ROH will remember that. If the promotion was to ever become mainstream without Danielson being there, you can bet that few will know of Danielson. They'll know of whomever the champion is who is main eventing at the time. Sure, Aries did play second banana to Danielson, but right now, Danielson's not there and the old saying goes, "Out of sight, out of mind."

It was Danielson who took RoH from a generic little indy federation and earned it national exposer. It was Danielson at the helm when RoH stepped up to take the mantle of number three promotion in America. Danielson was the companies most recognisable face when RoH finally took the biggest step in company history and signed a TV deal. Even Hulk Hogan can't be said to have taken a company that far.

Right now to those outside of the company, Danielson is Ring of Honor... and I don't see that changing. Sure it's possible that, with Nigel McGuinness at the helm, RoH is going to suddenly grow into America's most loves wrestling promotion, but I don't see it happening, and neither do you.

Danielson's done a lot for the promotion, and so did Jeff Jarrett in TNA, yet if you're asking if someone will leave a bigger mark than Danielson, I say yes. Same goes for TNA. That's where the comparison comes in. Right now, Kurt Angle IS TNA. Although he wrestled in the WWE at first, he's known as the face of TNA. Danielson's no longer in ROH, so McGuiness could overtake Danielson in the legacy department and in the face of ROH department. Leaving your mark is a part of it, but longevity is also key. Danielson didn't stick it out with ROH, so as far as I'm concerned, his Legacy is tarnished. And true, Hogan is only a big piece to a puzzle, not a foundation. Ask WCW.

Danielson has done more for the company than nay other man alive. He is the most high profile man the company's ever had. He's taken the company further than anybody else.

You're right, it's possible that somebody might out do him, but I don't think it's likely, and neither do you.

Well, in all fairness, I HAVE to convince people otherwise. What I think on the matter is irrelevant. I took the side of no, and have to stick with it. And as I do more research on the matter, it's more than possible, it's inevitable. With Danielson jumping ship, he's in essence saying, "I've left my mark, let's move on." Instead of "You know what, this is my baby, and I'm going to see this thing until the end." That to me says it all. His Legacy WAS set in stone, but now, it's a big question mark with him going to the WWE. I say McGuiness or Aries can leave a more telling Legacy for ROH than Danielson would when all's said and done.

EDIT: McGuiness just signed with the WWE. Whoops. So the McGuiness part of the convo is irrelevant at this point. It's up to Aries now. It just goes to show you, a legacy is sticking it out until the end, and now, neither McGuiness NOR Danielson has done that.

By my maths I'm left with twenty five minutes to produce my closing statement, so you'll excuse the unusual level of brevity. I'll deal with the counterpoints that matter and leave it at that.

This may be true, but at this point, ROH is still active. IF ROH folded today, I'd say that Danielson would have the biggest legacy. Right now, there's still plenty of life in the ROH and as much as Danielson meant to ROH, someone can leave a bigger mark and bigger legacy than Danielson did. It's possible.

Right now RoH is bleeding money, failing to expand its fan base and running a TV show that nobody wants to watch. I'd recommend taking a look at Tastycles round five posts for more information. Add to that the fact that their two top talents left the company within a week of one another, the fact that they've lost their incredibly popular booker, and the fact that increased compensation is coming into the US indy scene with the emergence of Dragon Gate... and it certainly looks like RoH is going down for the count.

If RoH survives and prospers I still think it's unlikely that anybody eclipses Danielson's legacy (much as nobody has eclipsed Hogan's in WWE), but when you add to that the odds of the company's survival beyond these next five years then you're angle on this debate seems best equated to staking everything on double 0 in roulette. The possibility is of course there, but the odds are so long as to make it totally unrealistic.

We've both agreed that Danielson has the greatest legacy in the company at this moment. The only point of conflict left is over what is going to happen in the future. My philosophy is that neither of us can predict what is going to happen, so all we can do is make assertions based on logic.
Right now RoH is showing far more signs of going down that going up. In terms of talent, staff and fiscal stability they're going down the tube right now. You can say that they might pull out of this spiral; that they might transform their product into something people actually want to watch and that they might start outdrawing RAW... and that in this coincidental future worth of divine intervention that one man might cement a legacy greater than that of Brian Danielson; but I am simply refusing to acknowledge that argument because is simply

is

not

going

to

happen.

There's no reason beyond wishful thinking to believe that it will, so let's not.

Tough debate, where I forced you to really say "Maybe". Kind of a fun debate with the recent news that really could have changed this debate around.

Clarity of debate- 1 point
Close on the points here, but in the end I have to give it to Gelgarin for his posting. Lariat was just too off the track. And yes, damn "Honour".

Punctuality- 1 point
Gelgarin was on time each and every time.

Informative- 1 point
Information was hard to gather here for sure, as it is only half provable, but I liked how Gelgarin was able to use what he had to prove his point. Point Gelgarin.

Emotionality- 1 point
Def. Gelgarin here. He knew what was on his plate, and he knew how to deal with it. Humour, anger, all that in one. I love it!

Persuasion- 1 point
I hate to have to do this to any debater, but a sweep in the points is occurring here, and only the second time. Nothing against Lariat, but Gelgarin has done well here winning in all the categories. I am sure I could have been swayed easily to either side of the debate, as ROH isn't my strongest area of knowledge, but I think Gelgarin had to take his man (Danielson) against all of ROH, and he did that best.

TM rates this 5 points Gelgarin to 0 points Lariat.

Clarity Of Argument - I'm giving the point to Lariat here. Gelgarin, you spent quite a bit of time quibbling over semantics and syntax. This would have been fine if your arguments weren't initially incomprehensible themselves.

Point: Lariat

Punctuality - Gelgarin gets the point here.

Point: Gelgarin

Informative - Gelgarin, you failed to cite a lot of your factual claims. This would have been fine if many of the premises you brought in to support your conclusion were widely known, but, many of them are not widely known. Lariat, I would have liked to see you bring in more information, but, what you did use was easily verifiable.

Emotionality - Gelgarin gets the point here.

Persuasion - Gelgarin, you made an extremely long opening post whose conclusion essentially boiled down to, "Bryan Danielson will have the biggest legacy in ROH because he was one of its founding fathers." You could have shortened that post by 75% to make that point. But, at least you provided an argument and supported it. Lariat, I understood where you were going, but, you didn't provide me with enough evidence (or points of comparison) to believe the assertion that Nigel McGuiness and Austin Aries will leave bigger legacies in ROH than Bryan Danielson. Remember next time to support your argument.

tdigle's Score

Lariat - 2
Gelgarin - 3

Clarity: Both were fairly clear, but Gelgarin's was easier to follow, he was more on topic to me.

Punctuality: Gelgarin was here up until the end.

Informative: Not a lot of information was backed up, but I think Lariat using what has gone on now, with future possibilities gets him this point.

Emotionality: See TM and Tdigs.

Persuasion: I have to agree with Tdigs. Lariat presented his side, but he didn't really argue or compare how Aries could overtake Danielson in ROH. Gelgarin was more on point and supported himself well.

CH David scores this Gelgarin 4, Lariat 1.

Clarity: I'll give this one to Gelgarin, nice structure and all that

Punctuality: Gelgarin

Informative: A lot of what Gelgarin said could've been speculation, I guess Lariat gets the point here

Emotionality: Gelgarin *insert comment here*

Persuasion: Gelgarin knew his stuff, had good reasoning etc, he presented the better argument

I score this;
Gelgarin: - 4
Lariat: - 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo