• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Weapons to the Head not the problem

OutsiderDX

Getting Noticed By Management
As reported, the condition of Andrew Martin's brain was deteriorated very similar to that of Chris Benoit. Jim Ross also came out with stance that weapon shots to the head should be banned, so that other wrestlers can be protected from similar damage.

But are weapons to the head the reason for this brain damage?

I argue that weapons are a low percentage of why this is happening. I think it is just the repetitiveness of a increasingly violent entertainment.

A seemingly routine move as taking a spinebuster may not seem dangerous but that is completely wrong. As you know wrestlers are trained to protect themselve, they land on as much surface of their back, and keep their head up so it doesnt make contact with that mat. But what is really happening is, the back hits the mat, but the head still has momentum and is bouncing against the skull. Its like getting rear-ended in a car. The seatbelt stops the body, but the head is still going forward and back.

Taking moves like this once or twice wont make a difference, times that over 10 times a day, 3 days a week, over 10 years, and the brain cant help be suffer.

I would go as far as to say, selling a punch can add to brain deterioration. The key to selling a good fist to the face, is snapping your neck and head back. Try snapping your head back a few times and see if u feel it. Do that over 50,000 times over a career and the brain has to have some damage.

Weapons to the skull really dont do damage, because the outter skull is the hardest part of the body. As long as the head is stationary, weapons dont do much. Its the whiplash motion that causes concussions and brain deterioration.

Much like athletes in other sports, athletes are bigger, stronger and quicker.- Moves have esclatated in violence.

meh, the brain is well cussioned. it's surrounded by fluid and the inside of the skull is padded. however, that same fluid is going to transmit, rather than absorb most of the force of impact. which is why botched moves and weapon shots cause most long term damage.

I beg to differ/ I just wrote a huge paper on this and aging. One blow to the head, even one that you do not think is serious can ruin someone's life.

I used to think that Nowinski was acting like Raven and Tiger Ali Singh and was just trying to sue the WWE, because he wanted money. The truth is that he is doing great work with Sports Legacy Institute.

The similarities between Chris Benoit's brain and the brain of a SERIOUS Alzheimers patient were to close to tell the difference.

The brain injuries of wrestlers are caused by the small movies in the ring (like a clothesline and a bad pwerbomb) as much as a chair shot.

I love watching violence. I believe though that wrestlers and all pro athletes should be informed about the risks of doing certain activities. Most of us would not do an action that we knew could cost us our lives, but that may not be the course for some people.

Brain injuries are serious and are different to each person. Yes, weapons injuries being repeated over and over is a serious concern and can lead to brain degregation. The limited research of groups like the Sports Legacy Institute can support this.

Chair shots are one of the many factors that are destroying wrestler's bodies. Take Benoit for example, the chair shots, the multiple moves, and the diving headbutt were destroying his body. That's the price a wrestler pays when they enter the business.

Chair shots are an easy factor to get rid of. Only devoted wrestlers would take a shot to the head. It's provides realism but too many can damage the head. It's more realistic when they put their hands up because it's an instinct. Nobody would realistically take a unprotected chair shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back