WCW Tampa, Round 3, Match 2: #8 Davey Boy Smith vs. #9 Rey Mysterio Jr.

Davey Boy vs. Rey Rey

• Bulldog

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the WCW Region, under WCW Rules, from Tampa, Fl.

#8. "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith
d2a10t99awv7yul5vq0dl75zkaitkw.jpg

vs.

#9. Rey Mysterio Jr.
rey-mysterio-jr.jpg

Both Smith and Mysterio were good in the ring and are somewhat equally matched. I'm going to slightly go with Mysterio because the stuff I've seen from his WCW days is better than mostly anything I've seen from Smith. Mysterio will use his speed to his advantage and will pick up the win.

Smith may not have the speed Rey did, and he may never have been a World Heavyweight Champion, but he was so much more powerful than Re, I think he'd go over here. Bulldog managed to be seen as a consistent threat, while Mysterio is forever the underdog.

Mysterio is the opposite of a victim of circumstance, while Bulldog managed to succeed despite not having a huge fanbase in the country he spent the vast majority of his career in. Bulldog wins here, eliminating the last of the luchadors.

From the slam dunk with Hogan, to the complete toss up from this match. I can make a case for both of them winning.

Bulldog has more power, can be fast, and has won a few big matches. He's beaten Bret Hart in his prime, and was an agile big man.

Rey Mysterio is very quick, has won some big matches, and can hit you so fast, and get you winded.

I go with Bulldog. But I can be swayed otherwise with a good case for Rey Rey.

I'm going with Davey, but by the slimest of margins. I'd love to see this match in any company, but I think the Bulldog takes it. He was a very intelligent wrestler who could wrestle a lot of styles against just about anyone. If he gets his hands on Rey, he'll beat him. That powerslam was a thing of beauty, and I think it puts Rey out of the tournament. However, if Rey wins, I won't be the least bit surprised.

I'm going with the Bulldog with power alone. I think it will be a great match either way but once the powerslam hits its a wrap.

Wow... what a great, great match.

In kayfabe terms, if you look at the British Bulldog's prime as being his babyface run in the early nineties, then he definitely beats Mysterio. Bulldog didn't lose much as a babyface, and Mysterio loses all the damn time. But if you look at Bulldog being in his prime during his heel run in the mid-nineties, then Mysterio stands a chance, but there's definitely still a possibility of Bulldog pulling off the victory. But the edge overall goes to Bulldog when you put it all together.

Work-rate rise... Mysterio wins. They're both very, very, very good workers, but Mysterio is a tad better, and definitely takes the cake charisma and promo wise.

But at the end of the day, I have to vote for Bulldog. It's extremely close as I'm a huge fan of both these guys, but it just simply comes down to the fact that I like Davey Boy just a little more then I like Mysterio. He has that nostalgia factor and for whatever reason, that goes a long way for me.

I planned on voting for Mysterio, but then I noticed the region. Somebody in a previous round stated that the WCW ring is smaller. I see that as beingmore beneficial for lager wrestlers. A smaller guy like Rey Mysterio doesn't have the room to move and perform tricks. Davey could catch him easily and perform a single power move for the win.

In WWE I would have voted for Rey.

A nice speed vs. strength match. Speed and agility are definitely Mysterio's but Davey Boy was ridiculously powerful. I'll never forget the sight of Davey Boy putting Mabel, AKA Big Daddy V, in the electric chair back when Mabes was about 550 pounds. He could probably throw Rey Rey through the roof of the arena if he wanted to.

In all honesty, I think this'd be a very close match. Rey is very resilient, much more so than he looks, and I think it comes down to who makes the single biggest mistake in the match. I don't think Rey in his prime, or today for that matter, had anything that could really keep Davey Boy down. Davey Boy's finest hour was beating Bret Hart for the IC strap at SummerSlam '92 and it was a great match. Rey's win of the World Championship was undoubtedly his. I could see either one of them moving on but I think Rey would somehow pull it off.

The WCW ring was made for cruiserweights. Between the cables, and the smaller ring size, the smaller wrestlers were at a huge advantage, and could use their quickness to cover more of the ring than the bigger men. Based on this, and this alone, I'm voting for Rey. In a WWE ring, this match is all Bulldog. His power would just be too much for Rey. Here, Rey can stay away from him, and expand his offense, almost doubling it.

It'll be a hell of a match, and would probably be on the level of opening Starrcade, keeping every fan in the house on the edge of their seats.

I think Bulldog is a stronger, more technically sound, and all around better wrestler than Rey. He should be able to hit a few big moves on way and hit a powerslam for a win. And it SHOULD be relatively easy.

But it won't be. Rey is known for being the ultimate underdog. Despite being outsized by nearly all of his opponents, he has been winning matches on a national stage for more than a decade. He may have to make a comeback, but the match will end with and flurry from Rey and a 619/West Coast Pop combo for the win.

Rey has made a career out of defying the odds. This match is right up his alley.

I know that it is blasphemy to talk bad about dead wrestlers, but Davey Boy Smith just wasn't that good. Bret Hart carried him to his best match.

I don't like Rey, but you can't doubt his history. He is a former World Champ, Smith won the IC. Rey has been tag team champs with half of the roster, multiple US and an IC reign. He is the best cruiser weight in WWE history, and is a vaible main event contender. Smith would never be a main eventer.

Rey Rey wins this one. Bulldog's entire career is probably centered around winnnig a match with Bret Hart in England, that's the pinnacle. Yes, they had a better match years later, but no one remembers that. Bulldog has incredible power, no dobut about it, but he's not overwhelmingly large that Mysteriou couldn't beat him. Rey Rey will be one of the few guys that simply out paces the Bulldog. The Power Slam is a good move, but it's an easy move for Mysterio to weasel out of. All it takes is for Bulldog to make one mistake and Mysterio will capitalize.

Great mathc but rey wins. His career is just more illustrious and amazing. Davey Boy would put on a great match with him. I see it starting out back and forth with Rey hitting a few big moves then he goes for a hurarcanrana, Davey counters with an electric chair. Davey gets control after a few big moves he goes for teh Power slam which rey counters in to a trip then hits a 619 followed by West Coast Pop getting the pin and moving on to see his next opponent

Mysterio would run circles around him, easily. Bulldog has some of the weakest stamina of any wrestler ever. I cant remember a match with him were he wasnt entirely gassed about 2 minutes into it. Mysterio would be all over the ring, and all over Bulldog. Did davey ever win the world title at the big show? I think not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back