WCW Tampa, Round 2, Match 4: #9 Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. #24 Kerry Von Erich

Mysterio vs. Von Erich

• Texas Tornado

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place int he WCW Region where the ring and entrance are equal height, from Tampa, Fl.

#9. Rey Mysterio Jr.
rey-mysterio-photograph-c12233391.jpeg

vs.

#24 "The Texas Tornado" Kerry Von Erich
KerryVE.jpg

Oh dear. This is VERY interesting. Rey is overrated, Von Erich could have been great had he not messed up. I have to go with Rey though. FOr the life of me, I can't picture Kerry getting the claw on him. Not sure why, but I just don't see it happening.

I'm taking the TORNADO!

Kerry Von Erich beat Ric Flair. Mysterio didn't. In that instance, Mysterio could out move Von Erich, but Kerry's quick himself, and could give Rey some trouble. Mysterio will win the votes, but I'm casting mine for The Texas Tornado. When he was around, few could match the charisma and look of Von Erich.

I'm taking the upset here and going with the Texas Tornado in great match. Ending with the claw and the match is over.

This is a tough choice.

I am a HUGE Rey Mysterio fan and I think when it's all said and done, he'll be regarded as one of the greatest in the history of the business, but still.... there aren't many I would vote over Kerry Von Erich in this tournament and Rey Mysterio, right now, isn't one of them.

Kerry Von Erich was my favorite wrestler at one point in time, and my love for him never wore off. He was a fantastic wrestler, with charisma out this World and a presence about him that most wrestlers can only dream of.

Also, in a match, while Mysterio would definitely put up a great fight, once Von Erich catches you in that Claw of his, like he undoubtedly will in this case, it's over. That is... if Mysterio doesn't get knocked out from the Tornado Punch first. Rey couldn't handle Big Show's weak ass punch last night, so I don't think he'd be able to get up from Kerry's Tornado punch were he to connect with it.

I was at Raw last night, and I couldn't helpo but notice how helpless Rey looked. Rey has always been booked quite weakly, even as champion, but Von Erich's successes came largely in a promotion booked by his family members.

I'm going with Rey on this one, despite his weaknesses because I think that he is muh quicker than Von Erich and his speed is adequate enough to overcome someone who doesn't tower above him, which Kerry doesn't.

WOW! This is a tough one.

I am a fan of Rey-Rey's & he is one of the greatest cruiserweights of all time but Von Erich holds victories over Flair. Rey-Rey may have speed but considering how weak he looked last night after taking Big Show's punch. I think Von Erich will end it with either The Tornado Punch or The Claw whichever move he prefers best.

Von erich had success in a promotion booked by family. Rey has had success all over the world. He has beaten the best, no matter the size, he has a world title win, a WM victory for the Heavyweight championship. He always puts up a good fight, and will win this match. Rey, in his prime was quick as fuck, he'd hit you with one move and he'd be on the top rope for the next. Rey wins this with a 619 in a decent 15 minute match-up.

As has been mentioned, Kerry's success was mostly in World Class Championship Wrestling, which his old man owned. However, to be fair, that doesn't mean that the guy was automatically a shitty worker. Kerry was very good back in his prime, but what ultimately did him in was his own self-destructive behavior. Rather than intervene on his son's behalf, Fritz was content to look the other way as long as they were drawing huge houses every single night. If Fritz had stepped in and put his son's health first, there might've been a chance for Kerry to go onto other things. But, cest la vie.

I've always respected Rey's athleticism and his willingness to take the big risks. However, being 5'5" and about 165 pounds doesn't really leave him a whole lot of choice. However, Rey's best matches have always been against men of somewhat equal physical size such as with Dean Malenko, Eddie Guerrero or any number of the luchadores that were running around WCW back in the mid to late 1990s.

Both of these guys have two of the suckiest finishers in the history of the business. The 619 is flat out lame and that splash Rey does off the top rope now...it just doesn't work with someone of his size. Von Erich's primary move was a spinning punch called the Discus Punch. Both guys were essentially handed World Championships as part of a type of tribute/explotation of the death of someone close to them. Kerry lost the strap two and a half weeks after he won it from Flair and many never bought Mysterio as the World Heavyweight Champion. I remember a match he had with the Great Khali while he was champ and he was simply obliterated. Rey's size is a hindurance because there are simply some situations that fans aren't going to suspend disbelief for.

I think it'll be fairly close, but I think Von Erich's strength with simply be too much in the end for Rey. I think it could be a great match, but I'm giving the nod to Von Erich.

This match will be close. Von Erich holds the edge in the power game, while Rey has the speed factor. I can't see Von Erich hitting the Punch or locking the Claw on Rey. I think Rey can avoid them, and gain the victory with a hurricarana into a pinfall.

I'm going with Rey, in the hopes that he doesn't get caught with a proper claw. When Khali put it on him, it was a joke. Simply because he has big hands, doesn't mean he can automatically use the claw effectively.

Rey will avoid the claw here by using his speed, and reversing just about anything he can, into a high impact move. After about 20 minutes, Kerry will be worn down, and Rey will use West Coast Pop for the win.

Pretty much, you start by throwing the two title reigns out the window. Rey Rey got the pitty WWEddiesploitation title reign because his buddy died and the WWE decided to cash in on that cow real quick, while Kerry Von Erich got the typical territorial hometown title win, which ammounted to absolutely nothing as champion.

Kerry Von Erich has rarely impressed me. Outside of a match with Curt Hennig for the IC title, I really don't remember to much of him. Rey on the other hand was/is probably the only Lucha that I absolutely have come to love. Yes, Rey is a shadow of his former self, and yues it's a shame to see people turn on him since Mania 22, but the Rey Rey of WCW pre-Vince Russo was amazing, and damn fun to watch, and was booked believably enough to beat big guys. Don't let the WWE and their absolutely piss poor job of booking small guys sway your vote.

despite rey winning the WWE belt, in every shape or form he was made out to look like a complete jackass of a champion. A weak one, i might add, meanwhile kerry von erich beat ric flair, mr. perfect and several other big names in the bidness. rey is overrated. arguably the greatest spot monkey in all of professional wrestling. kerry wins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back