WCW Region, Third Round, Metal Object On A Pole Match: (3) Bret Hart vs. (11) CM Punk

Who Wins This Match?

• Bret Hart

• CM Punk

Results are only viewable after voting.
No, RVD going over Harley Race is a fucking travesty. Punk going over Hart is justified recognition of Punk's superiority in this match.

Punk's also been in matches where weapons have been used, actually, didn't an emotionally unstable CM Punk just defeat Hart's fellow Dungeon graduate Chris Jericho in a street fight? Oh yes, that's right, he did. Also, if Punk gets the weapon first and Hart gets anywhere near him, like you just admitted, he'll take a hit from the weapon, Punk's got great awareness and wouldn't get yanked off the top rope. This is obvious. Punk keeps hitting until Hart's in a bloody mess (Hart's technical wrestling skill won't be helpful AT ALL here, something people keep forgetting) and Punk finishes him off with a GTS for the pinfall. Punk wins.

Vote Punk.

Much as I love Chris Jericho he is still not on a level with Bret Hart. Hart carried the WWE on his back post-Hogan for a substantial time before HBK arrived to share the load. He stands in many's top five of all time and is comparable to the likes of Rock,HBK, Austin and Hogan in his legacy.

He made Stone Cold Steve Austin, the brawler of all brawlers widely acclaimed as the toughest superstar (kayfabe) in WWE history bleed profusely in what basically amounted to an intense slugfest. Would CM-Punk if he was around at that time have been able to match even an up-coming Austin in a match like that? I doubt it. CM-Punk like many have mentioned is good but his accolades absolutely pale in comparison to Hart's.

I like many fail to understand the perception of Punk being quicker than hart. Watch Hart vs Bulldog Summerslam 1992 and you will see a masterclass in agility and athleticism. Hart takes this any way you look at it.

Bret Hart has beaten
Austin
Taker
Diesel
Flair
HBK
Rock
Yokozuna
Backlund
HHH
Goldberg
Benoit

Basically everyone's he's faced.

Punk has beaten
Cena

Punk wins? Get the fuck out of here.

Bret Hart has beaten
Austin
Taker
Diesel
Flair
HBK
Rock
Yokozuna
Backlund
HHH
Goldberg
Benoit

Basically everyone's he's faced.

Punk has beaten
Cena

Punk wins? Get the fuck out of here.
Bret beat Triple H, Rock, and Backlund at points where those wins meant nothing. A win over Benoit meant something for a few months in 2004. So you've got six names worth a damn on that list. If we're counting Bret's BS wins over Taker, I'll take Punk's BS win over Taker. Then I'll add wins over the following headliners: Jeff Hardy, Edge, Chris Jericho. Then I'll add Rey Mysterio to the pot, because why the fuck not?

So yeah, Punk's gone over most of the major names he's faced as well. All you've done is taken a wash and stretched the truth in your direction. Want to convince me? You'll need to do better than that.

Bret beat Triple H, Rock, and Backlund at points where those wins meant nothing. A win over Benoit meant something for a few months in 2004. So you've got six names worth a damn on that list. If we're counting Bret's BS wins over Taker, I'll take Punk's BS win over Taker. Then I'll add wins over the following headliners: Jeff Hardy, Edge, Chris Jericho. Then I'll add Rey Mysterio to the pot, because why the fuck not?

So yeah, Punk's gone over most of the major names he's faced as well. All you've done is taken a wash and stretched the truth in your direction. Want to convince me? You'll need to do better than that.

This, so much this. Most of the people of fighting for Bret aren't even giving valid reasons anymore your just looking for things to shit on Punk for and basically raging through your computers which I guarantee isn't going to do you any favors. Punk has beaten legitimate main event players in the E today and while Bret does also have legitimate wins like I said before it's impossible to compare the talent pool.

No. Most people remember more than just two of his promos, that's pretty damn obvious. Just stop being so fucking stupid, you won't get Hart through on his mic skills. In that respect, he's not in Punk's league and everyone knows it.

I don't see why mic skills are so important in determining the winner of this match. Even though I don't see it as a relevant factor I'd like to argue against Hart not being in Punk's league. I know Hart didn't use the insider terms that everyone pops a stiffy for. He wasn't trying to make a bunch of jokes. He talked like...gasp...an athlete. Bret didn't try to be a comedian and didn't have to be. He let his actions speak for him and when he did talk he was perfectly fine.

This is a little unfair in the sense that I don't think Punk has peaked yet, but as I've already said this match is pretty much a push all the way down making it come down to the object, which Punk would acquire first.

I agree that Punk hasn't peaked yet. So how can we put him past Bret Hart? Maybe in a few years but not now. It would be an insult to an all time great to allow someone who has not peaked to beat him in this tournament. Also, I don't know why you just assume Punk would be the one to get the weapon.

I think most of us making the argument were around for Bret's day which is why we can remember his short comings. Just because it happened in the attitude era doesn't automatically make it better. Nobody is taking away from Bret, but this match favors Punk.

I think just the opposite. Most people arguing for Punk were probably not around for Bret's day and don't appreciate how great he was. Forget the attitude era. Bret was a star long before then. The fact that so many people think Punk is above Hart just goes to show how people have lowered their standards since Hart left.

Now come on, this is flat out stupid. Regardless of what you think of JoMo he was a great in ring talent and his matches with Punk were also great.

JoMo was so great that he didn't even come close to making it in this tournament and failed to live up to even half his potential.

One's with Mysterio were also great and Samoa Joe's matches were damn near amazing.

I think Bret's list of great matches is longer than Punk's. Perfect, Piper, Bulldog, Michaels, Owen, Diesel, Backlund, Austin, Taker, Benoit, etc. And he had more than one classic with most of them.

Not to mention all the others he's had that I can't even remember. Once again your giving no real reason why those matches were bad, your just going off the fact you like Bret's better.

So the matches he had were so great you can't remember them? Weird.

Like I said once again it doesn't matter. If he was heel it give him the advantage even more because Punk doesn't need to play to crowd he can use whatever cheap victory to win.

I don't ever remember Bret taking his focus off a match to play to the crowd.

Hart is far superior to Punk in the ring. However I do have a different stance on this to most people. For all the years I witnessed Bret Hart in wrestling, I remember him using a weapon one specific and very memorable occasion, to knock Undertaker on his arse with a chair shot after getting hocked on by HBK. Bret Hart was in the WWE a long long time.

What about against Diesel and Austin? You're right about Bret being far superior to Punk. He has such a great reputation as a technical wrestler that people overlook that he was a great brawler too.

From the 5 or so years Punk has been in the WWE, and for the fewer of those that I've actually been watching him, I can remember quite a few occasions where he took out his frustrations with an object of some kind.

It doesn't take much skill to hit someone with an object. I think Bret can handle that.

For all the time Bret Hart was on top and in his prime, he was as clean a face as Hogan was, which was probably the '94-'96 years. That means, just like Hogan, he rarely ever used weapons, he tried to abstain unless it was necessary the same way a superhero abstains from completely obliterating the villains even when they have the upper hand. That's right guys and gals, I see this stipulation favouring Punk.

And it's necessary here. Just like it was at Survivor Series 95.

I think in a one on one match, Bret has Punk up and down the aisle, all day every day and twice on Sundays.

Good thing this is a one on one match.

But with the chance of using a metal weapon, and the looming inevitability in Punk's mind that he probably wont win if he doesn't manage to grab that object, it really evens things for him in my perspective. Punk doesn't have the same issue as Hart, he's a tweener like face and would have no issue using a weapon to do away with an adversary if fully sanctioned, we've only to go back 8 days to see just what Punk can and is prepared to do if the opportunity for using more than just his body to cleave opponents is offered.

Again, I will mention Survior Series 95. WrestleMania 13 too. If Bret would beat Punk easily in a one on one match like you suggest I don't see how this stipulation will make that much of a difference. The object on the pole is not kryptonite.

So that's my stance. There's no guarantee that Punk will be able to grab the weapon, and if it did happen it'd probably be deep into the match when Punk was beginning to get desperate after early on signing a silent pact with the Hitman that neither would use the object. If he did happen to get the chance though, I see him as the more aggressive, the more conniving and all round dastardly competitor and I can see him bashing the best there ever is, was and will be to smithereens to make sure he gets the victory.

Desperate men make mistakes. Bret is one of the smartest wrestlers ever. He will capitalize on the mistake.

I'm not decided yet though. I just thought it would be interesting to offer up my honest thoughts on the gimmicks reflection upon the match. I may decide that Hart is simply too much a physical challenge, that even if Punk reached the point of desperation where he attempts to attain the outcome-deciding object, he simply wouldn't be able to, but as yet I am undecided

Do the right thing and vote for Hart. You know he's better. The better man should advance.

I'll take Punk's BS win over Taker. Then I'll add wins over the following headliners: Jeff Hardy, Edge, Chris Jericho. Then I'll add Rey Mysterio to the pot, because why the fuck not?

Hardy is a waste of space
Who hasn't beaten jericho
A win over Mysterio is equally worthless

Even Edge doesn't belong in the names I mentioned. Cena and Taker in a screwjob finish, that's your argument?

JoMo was so great that he didn't even come close to making it in this tournament and failed to live up to even half his potential.

You still can't deny the good matches he had Punk.

I think Bret's list of great matches is longer than Punk's. Perfect, Piper, Bulldog, Michaels, Owen, Diesel, Backlund, Austin, Taker, Benoit, etc. And he had more than one classic with most of them.

You can't really blame Punk for not being around during that time. He had the best matches possible with what he had to work with

So the matches he had were so great you can't remember them? Weird.

Basically, I'm sure there have been great matches with your favorite wrestler which haven't crossed your mind sometimes.

I don't ever remember Bret taking his focus off a match to play to the crowd.

Did I say Bret? No, Punk doesn't have to live up the fans expectations of a good guy if he's a heel. I was saying if he was he'd have an even better chance.

You still can't deny the good matches he had Punk.

Ok, Bret Hart had good matches with Hakushi. I didn't list him at first because he's not as big a name as some of Bret's other opponents but he's about on par with Morrison.

You can't really blame Punk for not being around during that time. He had the best matches possible with what he had to work with

It sounds like you're saying Punk hasn't faced the quality of competiton that Hart faced...and beat. Doesn't sound like Punk would go over to Hart.

Basically, I'm sure there have been great matches with your favorite wrestler which haven't crossed your mind sometimes.

Maybe, but I could probably name about twenty Bret Hart matches off the top of my head that were better than Punk vs. Morrison. Or Punk vs. anybody besides Cena.

Did I say Bret? No, Punk doesn't have to live up the fans expectations of a good guy if he's a heel. I was saying if he was he'd have an even better chance.

This doesn't make sense. I have already provided examples of where Bret was aggressive with weapons when the situation called for it. Bret doesn't have to live up to any expectations of a good guy. The weapon is not only legally in play but required to win. Why would Bret hesitate to use it?

This would likely be a much better debate a couple years from now. CM Punk in 2012 simply does not match up to Bret Hart. It's really disappointing that he's winning in this poll. He's the hot item right now and that's obviously why he's getting this support. He doesn't deserve this win.

What about against Diesel and Austin? You're right about Bret being far superior to Punk. He has such a great reputation as a technical wrestler that people overlook that he was a great brawler too.

Austin of course, not sure how it slipped my mind. And the Diesel one I wasn't aware of, haven't seen the match. But I think my point remains, 3 times in a career that spanned over a decade isn't much.

It doesn't take much skill to hit someone with an object. I think Bret can handle that.

Yes of course he can. My point is just that I see him being far less likely to.

And it's necessary here. Just like it was at Survivor Series 95.

Look, I'm not saying Bret isn't going to use the weapon. I just don't think it's very likely because he'll probably already have the upper hand by out-wrestling Punk and won't require it's use. Alls I think is if Punk get trampled on to a point and he reaches that point of desperation and manages to get down the weapon, he's not going to let go until Bret Hart can't stand up. Bret Hart wouldn't need to do that, he's got more than enough within his own bodily capabilities to beat Punk without.

Good thing this is a one on one match.

But with the hidden factor of a metallic weapon, which, if it comes into play will make all the difference depending on who is holding it.

Again, I will mention Survior Series 95. WrestleMania 13 too. If Bret would beat Punk easily in a one on one match like you suggest I don't see how this stipulation will make that much of a difference. The object on the pole is not kryptonite.

That very much depends on how lethal it is and who's holding it. Punk is very much this sort of a guy, he sees an opening and he'll exploit it:

[YOUTUBE]MKTc64lamss[/YOUTUBE]

Desperate men make mistakes. Bret is one of the smartest wrestlers ever. He will capitalize on the mistake.

It's a fine line. Desperate men will also do anything they can within limits to win, and Punk has proven to be that sort of a guy.

Do the right thing and vote for Hart. You know he's better. The better man should advance.

I'll be honest, I'm like 65/35 right now. I'm not voting yet.

Much as I love Chris Jericho he is still not on a level with Bret Hart. Hart carried the WWE on his back post-Hogan for a substantial time before HBK arrived to share the load. He stands in many's top five of all time and is comparable to the likes of Rock,HBK, Austin and Hogan in his legacy.

When I compared Hart & Jericho; I was comparing their in-ring wrestling skills, not their legacy in the WWE.

He made Stone Cold Steve Austin, the brawler of all brawlers widely acclaimed as the toughest superstar (kayfabe) in WWE history bleed profusely in what basically amounted to an intense slugfest. Would CM-Punk if he was around at that time have been able to match even an up-coming Austin in a match like that? I doubt it. CM-Punk like many have mentioned is good but his accolades absolutely pale in comparison to Hart's.

Again, I'm not comparing their accolades. I'm telling you why CM Punk would win this match. Another thing, Punk is no Austin. Punk is a very different type of opponent to Austin. He's much more intelligent and there's more to him than just brawling. He's not going to get hot-headed and battle with Hart.

I like many fail to understand the perception of Punk being quicker than hart. Watch Hart vs Bulldog Summerslam 1992 and you will see a masterclass in agility and athleticism. Hart takes this any way you look at it.

No he doesn't. I've watched Hart's best matches and his speed doesn't beat Punk's.

I don't see why mic skills are so important in determining the winner of this match. Even though I don't see it as a relevant factor I'd like to argue against Hart not being in Punk's league. I know Hart didn't use the insider terms that everyone pops a stiffy for. He wasn't trying to make a bunch of jokes. He talked like...gasp...an athlete. Bret didn't try to be a comedian and didn't have to be. He let his actions speak for him and when he did talk he was perfectly fine.

I actually concur with you on the irrelevance of mic skills in this match. Hart supporters brought up Punk's mic skills, not myself. All I did was prove them wrong.

When I first saw this thread, I thought that I would have no problem with either guy winning because I like both guys. But now, after reading the comments that have been made for Punk, I really want Hart to win. Really, Punk is smarter than Steve Austin, the guy who outsmarted his evil, scheming boss every week? Fuck did some of you guys even watch the Attitude Era?

Bret has wins over Diesel in both NoDQ as well as Steel Cage matches, a win over Austin in a great brawl, which I would take over most of Punk's victories even though came before Austin's prime. He has also defeated Shawn in a ladder match which shows that he can use weapons.

I do not buy for a second that Punk will get the object before Hart. I think some of Punk's supporters have mistaken Bret for Andre the Giant and Punk for Mysterio. It's 50-50 as to who will get the object first and even so the object is bound to chane hands. No real advantage here.

And finally, who the flying fuck has Punk defeated in a hardcore setting? Jeff Hardy is cool but I will take Diesel and even upper midcard Austin over a guy who was leaving the company. Jericho? the guy who loses to everyone these days and someone who is clearly not in his prime.

Also Punk has lost to Undertaker and Triple H in a hardcore setting. Also to Chavo Guerrero mind you, but that came in WWECW so you may not want to consider that. Does Hart have any losses in a hardcore environment against anyone?

Vote Hart.

When I first saw this thread, I thought that I would have no problem with either guy winning because I like both guys. But now, after reading the comments that have been made for Punk, I really want Hart to win. Really, Punk is smarter than Steve Austin, the guy who outsmarted his evil, scheming boss every week? Fuck did some of you guys even watch the Attitude Era?

Did you even watch Punk's angle with leaving the WWE? You're telling me Austin outsmarted his boss every week, Punk did the same but on a much larger scale. This, right here, is ignorance at it's finest unless of course you just missed the best angle WWE had for years but decided to post anyway.

I do not buy for a second that Punk will get the object before Hart. I think some of Punk's supporters have mistaken Bret for Andre the Giant and Punk for Mysterio. It's 50-50 as to who will get the object first and even so the object is bound to chane hands. No real advantage here.

Oh, I haven't mistaken anything. CM Punk is faster than Bret Hart.

And finally, who the flying fuck has Punk defeated in a hardcore setting? Jeff Hardy is cool but I will take Diesel and even upper midcard Austin over a guy who was leaving the company. Jericho? the guy who loses to everyone these days and someone who is clearly not in his prime.

Kayfabe; Hardy is a fantastic hardcore wrestler and it wasn't acknowledged that he was leaving. Jeff Hardy in his prime is better than Diesel and an inexperienced Austin in a hardcore environment. Again, in kayfabe, Jericho is clearly still a force to be reckoned with.

Also Punk has lost to Undertaker and Triple H in a hardcore setting. Also to Chavo Guerrero mind you, but that came in WWECW so you may not want to consider that. Does Hart have any losses in a hardcore environment against anyone?

You're telling me that The Undertaker and Triple H wouldn't beat Hart in a hardcore match? Don't be so silly. Also, Punk wasn't in his prime when he fought those three.

Vote Hart.

Vote Punk.

Did you even watch Punk's angle with leaving the WWE? You're telling me Austin outsmarted his boss every week, Punk did the same but on a much larger scale. This, right here, is ignorance at it's finest unless of course you just missed the best angle WWE had for years but decided to post anyway.

Excuse me? Much larger scale? Are you implying that somehow Punk's one month title reign in the summer of Punk storyline this year is a bigger deal than Austin screwing with McMahon for more than a year? That is just nuts. Punk may have won the title but Austin became the CEO of WWF at one point. Also Austin had no one on his side in 1998 while I do remember one promo where John Cena appealed to VKM to get Punk reinstated on Raw after VKM had suspended him.

Oh, I haven't mistaken anything. CM Punk is faster than Bret Hart.

This is just conjecture. Both are similarily built. Show me a feat where Punk demonstrates his speed and I may agree with you.

Kayfabe; Hardy is a fantastic hardcore wrestler and it wasn't acknowledged that he was leaving. Jeff Hardy in his prime is better than Diesel and an inexperienced Austin in a hardcore environment. Again, in kayfabe, Jericho is clearly still a force to be reckoned with.

In kayfabe, Diesel was a former world champion that had beaten the likes of Psycho Sid, HBK, Razor Ramon, Yokozuna, Mabel and Bret Hart himself when Bret beat him. Oh and he was in his prime. In kayfabe, Jeff Hardy is not a fantastic hardcore wrestler. He has lost almost every hardcore match he has ever been in. In kayfabe, Austin was still a Royal Rumble and KOTR winner and a star on the rise. In kayfabe, Jericho is the guy who has won a grand total of two matches since returning both against a midcarder like Kofi Kingston.

You're telling me that The Undertaker and Triple H wouldn't beat Hart in a hardcore match? Don't be so silly. Also, Punk wasn't in his prime when he fought those three.

Uh, Punk faced HHH after MITB, at which he beat Cena. Safely in his prime. Oh, and Punk has lost to Orton as well in a similar setting. Given the fact that Hart did not lose a lot in his prime, much less than Punk, mind you, he could have won against HHH and Undertaker in a hardcore setting.

"The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be" vs "The Best In The World"

Let's be honest here, if this match was to happen, you just know that Punk would want to 'try' Hart before he'd go for the weapon and, at this point in his career, that would be his mistake. While he is trying to prove his superiority to 'the Hitman', Hart will be doing what he does best - attacking what is most likely to hurt him, in this case, Punk's legs. You can guarantee that the ringpost Figure Four will be on display along with every other leg attack he has in his substantial repertoire which will ultimately lead to the victory for Bret.

If you want a nice simple kayfabe reasoning to what would happen here, Punk's ego would write checks his wrestling prowess couldn't cash against a master of the craft.

At this moment in time, CM Punk is leading Bret 'the Hitman' Hart by 65 votes to 59 in this match, the stipulation of which doesn't really favour either man.

Now, if I'm completely kosher, I actually prefer Punk to Hart (partially for preferring the colourful Sting to the bland Hart when I was first initiated to the US grap game but more because of the amount of bitching Bret did about the WWF/e after the Montreal Screwjob only to make a hypocrite of himself since).

That being said, Phil Brooks has spent approximately 10months of a 12+ year career as a genuine headline act in the WWe (and even this can be disputed given the higher profile give to Rock / Cena, Taker / HHH and, most recently, Cena / Lesnar). That equates to approximately 7% of his career (using 12 years as his span) that he could be regarded as someone who could hang with a prime Hitman. Even if we only include his singles career in the WWe, this only rises to 17% from his entry into ECW.

Hart, for all his foibles, was a headliner for over 7 years (from winning the WWF belt in late '92 to relinquishing the WCW belt due to injury in early '00) of his 24ish year career; approximately 30% of his overall career and over 90% when you consider his permanent move to singles competition after 'paying his dues' in Stampede & Japan and fulfilling Tag Team obligations in the WWF.

Should Punk fulfil his potential, there is no question that he will be able to go toe to toe with Hart somewhere down the line but it is still way to early to make that call... or do the names Sheamus, Alberto Del Rio and the Miz mean nothing so soon?

Please, I implore anyone who has not made a decision yet to show some love to "The Best There Is, The Best There Was And The Best There Ever Will Be"... after all, even being the WWe Champion doesn't apparently make you "The Best On Raw" never mind "The Best In The World".

This is just depressing, what has the world come to??? There is no reason I have read thus far, that validates, or proves how or why Punk would, could, or should win this. People have made their cases, but not one has been strong enough to hold water.

I think the only reason Bret is not winning this is because he is the past, and Punk is the present. People have been watching him for the last couple years, lapping up everything he does, and they continue to watch him and lap up everything he does. The Bret Hart many like myself remember hasn't been around since 2001, and his highest point was well before that when a lot of these people here were either just being born or still too young to remember it. For those of us who do remember, who weren't too young, the facts are plain and obvious that Bret is far and away the superior here and would win this match with little to no issues.

What about Punk's resume says that he is on the level of Bret Hart or better? I can give you one reason alone that should tell any logical thinking person why Bret was so far and away better than Punk is, and likely ever will be. Bret with all his in ring ability, list of iconic and classic matches, had a quality about him that few have ever possessed and is more valuable than anything Punk brings to the table. Bret wasn't just good at entertaining people in the ring and showing how good he was, Bret was able to make the people he wrestled with look just as good as him and better than they really were. He elevated the talent he worked with and the people around him. Good examples reside in both Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin, both of which were MADE by Bret Hart.

Some often forget that is was his feud with Bret that made Austin a face and a true star in the company following his infamous KOTR win and this pre-dated the McMahon feud many acknowledge as being the time that Austin really got over, not true, it was Bret Hart that got Austin over. With Shawn, his legitimacy and success all came off the work of Bret Hart. Without Hart for him to go over and feud with, Shawn Michaels may never have been considered as big a deal as he was, it was beating Bret that made him "The Guy". Austin wasn't so lucky, as he was beaten by Bret at every pass, but it was Bret's heel turn and feud with him that made Austin become the beloved face he would be. Who is the last guy Punk elevated like that? When has Punk really done much of anything but go into business for himself? I don't see one place where he's made anyone look better than himself, losing matches to people doesn't equate to that either.

I know this doesn't really have a lot of significance to this match, but it's an important fact that shows the stark contrast between these two, and another reason that Bret is miles and miles ahead of Punk. I don't see one area where Punk is head and shoulders above Bret Hart, not even mic work. Bret during his heel run was as good as anybody and got more heat than Punk ever thought about. I don't know how anybody could actually put Punk over here, and I can't imagine what in anyone's mind would make them come to that conclusion. Punk is great for the time he is in, but overall in the grand scheme of things, against all the greats, Punk is a flavor of the month and we have yet to see what his actual legacy will be. Bret Hart is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be. That's not just a catchy line, it was true. Nobody was better than The Hitman.

I waited to vote on this one for a long time. I ended up casting my vote for Bret Hart, not because I am such a huge Hart fan (I am not, I never liked the guy) but because I really don't want to keep reading the OMGPUNKISGOD type rationales in the next round. I like CM Punk a lot, but I am voting against him here, because he simply hasn't done enough to deserve the fanboy worship yet. He is very good, but he isn't great. At least not yet.

I waited to vote on this one for a long time. I ended up casting my vote for CM Punk, not because I am such a huge Punk fan (though I am, I always liked the guy) but because I really don't want to keep reading the OMGHARTISGOD type rationales in the next round. I like Bret Hart a lot, but I am voting against him here, because he simply hasn't done enough to deserve the fanboy worship yet. He is very good, but he isn't great. At least not yet.

The thing that determines it for me is that Bret Hart has never played as ruthless a character as Punk once did. Punk has a sick and twisted side to himself that was shown while he was the leader of the Straight Edge Society and the Nexus, and while he doesn't show it as much now, it's still a part of him. Once they got the obligatory technical wrestling out of the way, I feel like Punk would be more willing and eager to hurt Bret. Keep in mind that he's been in a lot of hardcore-type matches in the last few years and has amassed a tremendous amount of experience in that area.

If it was a pure wrestling match, I would probably have to give the win to Bret, but since it's not, Punk gets it. It comes down to similar skill sets but differing attitudes, and Punk has the attitude that is better equipped for a match like this.

Well said, Coco. I voted for Punk, as well, mainly because Bret Hart, as good as he was, did not entertain me as much as CM Punk currently does. Simple as. Hart was a tremendous wrestler, he was better on the mic than most give him credit for, and he's had more quality matches in the WWE than Punk has to this day. Having said that, what matters to me is who I find more entertaining personally, and that man is C.M. Punk.

The thing that determines it for me is that Bret Hart has never played as ruthless a character as Punk once did.

:banghead:

The guy was as clinical and tough as they come, especially in his last year with the WWF when he routinely beat Austin, once to the point of unconciousness. Don't bring that crap in here.

The thing that determines it for me is that Bret Hart has never played as ruthless a character as Punk once did. Punk has a sick and twisted side to himself that was shown while he was the leader of the Straight Edge Society and the Nexus, and while he doesn't show it as much now, it's still a part of him. Once they got the obligatory technical wrestling out of the way, I feel like Punk would be more willing and eager to hurt Bret. Keep in mind that he's been in a lot of hardcore-type matches in the last few years and has amassed a tremendous amount of experience in that area.

If it was a pure wrestling match, I would probably have to give the win to Bret, but since it's not, Punk gets it. It comes down to similar skill sets but differing attitudes, and Punk has the attitude that is better equipped for a match like this.

Let's get real here. The summation of this match is that it's a regular match with the possibility of a weapon being used. I didn't see any rule stating that other weapons can be used so I'm operating under the assumption that only the metal object can be used. Only sick and twisted things I've seen Punk do is take out Orton's leg with a crowbar or something (Punk lost twice to Orton after that) and his interruption of the birthday celebration of Mysterio's daugher (He lost that match too.) You can amass all the hardcore match experience you want to, but I've routinely seen wrestlers with less experience in a particular match beat those with more experience.

Again, to say Punk has ever been more aggressive than Bret is ridiculous. He hasn't been. Seriously, I'm starting to think the majority of Punk voters (Sam and Coco aside) haven't seen a single Bret Hart match. The guy was as ruthless as they come, even as a babyface.

I like CM Punk. A lot. He's a fantastic wrestler... but he's not Bret Hart. Different leagues and so forth...

Seriously, I'm starting to think the majority of Punk voters (Sam and Coco aside) haven't seen a single Bret Hart match. The guy was as ruthless as they come, even as a babyface

This whole thread has been nothing but Punk fans stretching for an argument why he wins. There isn't one. You can't pin Bret Hart with mic skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back