• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Watching Breaking Bad

Hulk Hogan's Brother

Stop asking me what I'm gonna do!!!
I just finished watching the first season of Breaking Bad. Just thought I'd make a few observations on what is widely believed to be the greatest drama series of modern times.

Pros

-Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul. Goes without saying that these guys are fabulous. Had heard a lot about Cranston but Paul was the revelation here. His performance in the second episode as the guy losing it over having a dead body in his van and a captive in his basement was awesome.

-The Chemistry. Wish I had discovered this show back when I was in 12th grade. Surely would have got me interested in the subject.

-The first confrontation between Walter and Tuco at Tuco's hideout. How badass was that on Walter's part!!! The scene when White Sr. goes bananas on the guys who were bullying his son was also pretty good.

Cons

-No one apart from White Sr. and Jesse is all that likable. Skylar's a bitch, Hank's pompous and pretentious, Maggie's the kind of person who likes seeing others in misery, White Jr. is a typical self centered teenager. Am I supposed to sympathize with these guys when Walt ultimately goes bad?

-The robbery of methylamine in the finale is one of the most outlandish things that I have seen on TV. So, there is only this one guard in the ENTIRE facility? That was kinda hard to believe...

-It's rather slow. But then that just might be a personal thing. I like shows in which there are a lot of "meat and potatoes" episodes going on along with the central plot. Stuff like Supernatural or Dexter.

Overall, a good show. But as far as first seasons go, I have definitely seen better ones.

Cons

-No one apart from White Sr. and Jesse is all that likable. Skylar's a bitch, Hank's pompous and pretentious, Maggie's the kind of person who likes seeing others in misery, White Jr. is a typical self centered teenager. Am I supposed to sympathize with these guys when Walt ultimately goes bad?

You'll be pleased with how most of these characters develop over the next seasons as well as the addition of some new characters.

I agree in the 1st season it was all Walter and Jesse and although they are obviously the biggest part of the show it gets SO much better with other characters. The 1st season lays the groundwork for everything else. Especially with how the show is wrapping up is just great TV.

I won't say its the greatest TV drama ever, but its certainly my favorite.

Marie and Flynn are my favourite characters.

I'm not certain that I'm joking.

Keep in mind that I'm the sort of person who wasn't all that bothered by Dawn's existence in BTVS.

To realize how this show works look at this graph from the point of origin (0,0) to the right. Ignore everything with a negative number.

xsquared.jpg

X axis - Length of the show
Y axis - Intensity of the show.

The show starts off a little slow, just enough to keep you entertained but as the show goes on it gets more and more intense and that intensity keeps on building as time goes on. Eventually it gets to a point where the intensity increases exponentially in a small period of time, to the point you have to keep watching.

Usually with shows (especially drama shows) I'm very interested in the beginning but as time goes on I get less interested, with Breaking Bad its the opposite. I was watching episodes sparingly until I hit mid season 3-beginning of season 4, after that I was watching them 4 at a time because it went from good TV to must see.

Marie and Flynn are my favourite characters.

I'm not certain that I'm joking.

Keep in mind that I'm the sort of person who wasn't all that bothered by Dawn's existence in BTVS.

Marie is one of my favorite characters too. I like that she loves purple.

Also, anybody that thinks Skylar is a bitch is probably sexist.

Also, anybody that thinks Skylar is a bitch is probably sexist.

She, along with the vast majority of the main cast, became unwatchable for me. Unrealistically awful people. When I found myself tuning out or skipping through entire scenes when Skylar, Marie, Walt Jr or Jesse were involved, I knew it was time to call it quits.

So... not even halfway through the series? I always just take your opinion for what it is because you and I apparently don't look for the same things in a television show(I don't have to find a character to be likable to find them compelling) but to know that you haven't even seen the best 2 seasons of the show kind of hurts your credibility.

Hank's pompous and pretentious

Wait, what?

The kinda racist fatass who constantly swears and makes lame jokes when he's not shouting at meth-addicted hookers is pompous and pretentious?

Also, Aaron Paul just won himself another Emmy in last night's episode.

So... not even halfway through the series? I always just take your opinion for what it is because you and I apparently don't look for the same things in a television show(I don't have to find a character to be likable to find them compelling) but to know that you haven't even seen the best 2 seasons of the show kind of hurts your credibility.

How does it hurt my credibility? I stopped watching because, aside from Hank and Walt, I hated all the main characters. Not in a "I want to see them get their comeuppance" way but in a "I find them so inconsistent in their behaviour that I have no interest in watching them further" way. I understand why they are like that - fuelling the main arc of the story (transforming Walt from the world's nicest man to a real villain) - but I just derive no pleasure from watching them.

The fact that I was told that the likes of Jesse, who I hated the most, become even more prominent helped my decision.

How were they inconsistent? I'm legitimately asking, I don't recall that being an issue.

And what is it exactly that you dislike about Jesse?

How were they inconsistent? I'm legitimately asking, I don't recall that being an issue.

I found Skylar and Walt Jr to be ridiculously inconsistent in their treatment of Walt. Skylar in particular was unrealistically suspicious from the very start. One minute they were talking to him like the caring father he was and the next they were giving him the cold shoulder for no reason. It was like they had intimate knowledge of what he was doing outside of school hours, which they didn't.

Marie is consistently awful as a person, which is forgiveable as that is her character but I just could not watch her.

And what is it exactly that you dislike about Jesse?

EVERYTHING.

Барбоса;4605043 said:
I found Skylar and Walt Jr to be ridiculously inconsistent in their treatment of Walt. Skylar in particular was unrealistically suspicious from the very start. One minute they were talking to him like the caring father he was and the next they were giving him the cold shoulder for no reason. It was like they had intimate knowledge of what he was doing outside of school hours, which they didn't.

I always took that as the family growing suspicious of him constantly being gone for lengthy periods of time without having a solid reason for it.

Marie is consistently awful as a person, which is forgiveable as that is her character but I just could not watch her.

That... That never gets better.

EVERYTHING.

I don't get it. He was a ******ed punk in the beginning but the father/son relationship that builds between he and Walt is one of the most compelling things I've ever seen on television.

I always took that as the family growing suspicious of him constantly being gone for lengthy periods of time without having a solid reason for it.

But even if it was their suspicions getting the better of them, they still were inconsistent in that suspicion as all of a sudden they were back to being nice.

I don't get it. He was a ******ed punk in the beginning but the father/son relationship that builds between he and Walt is one of the most compelling things I've ever seen on television.

Doesn't really matter how compelling Jesse's relationship with Walt might be if I cannot stand looking at or listening to him.

I was wrong about Hank, I guess. He just struck me as a windbag for acting like a supercop in the first episode. He was talking as if he was singlehandedly gunning down meth dealers when in reality he was just sitting in a van all the time.

He seems like a hardworking, honest agent in the second season, though.

So, I'm was watching the 7th episode of the 2nd season. It was called the "Negro y Azul." It's right after Hank gets his promotion and he is staking out this place where a transaction of some sort is about to take place. Thing is, there is something wrong with the clip and it stopped playing right after Hank sees Tirtouga's head placed on the turtle. Just wanted to know how that episode ended if any of you remember.

My Internet is not functioning at it's best so I really don't want to download the episode again. Some help would be appreciated.

So, I'm was watching the 7th episode of the 2nd season. It was called the "Negro y Azul." It's right after Hank gets his promotion and he is staking out this place where a transaction of some sort is about to take place. Thing is, there is something wrong with the clip and it stopped playing right after Hank sees Tirtouga's head placed on the turtle. Just wanted to know how that episode ended if any of you remember.

My Internet is not functioning at it's best so I really don't want to download the episode again. Some help would be appreciated.

Hank walks away from the vicinity to vomit and the turtle then explodes, leaving the lot of his follow DEA officers either dead or in agonizing pain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back