Was Wade Barrett buried in 2011 because of real-life heat with Cena?

Was Wade Barrett buried in 2011 because of real-life heat with Cena?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Creepy Old Man

Championship Contender
So Barrett went from headlining five pay-per-views in 2010, to being a faceless mid-carder in 2011. From holding his own with elite stars like Cena, Edge, Jericho and Punk, to jobbing for Ezekiel Jackson.

Why? I've heard rumblings on fan forums for ages that Barrett and Cena didn't get along, and Bad News confirmed it in an interview today (http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/inter...n-cena-wwe-2k15-attitude-era-and-more-2019904). Besides a comment about Ziggler "running around" with his IC strap (not even sure that does undermine its credibility) it seems to be 100% shoot. In it Barrett said:

"[E]veryone knows that I don't like John Cena, and he doesn't like me either...Personally I don't like him and he doesn't like me, we are not friends."

I did some digging. In a 2011 shoot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uycJz9a7-WQ&t=3m40s), Barrett named Sheamus (a face) as a friend, and went on to say:

"Then there are guys like John Cena who I don't get along with. It just so happens that he's not a personality that I get on with very well, in or out of the ring."

Edge and Chris Jericho confirmed on the latter's podcast that Cena patently refused to put Barrett over at SummerSlam 2010; those two battled for it because Barrett and his group were "so hot". Was this the cause – or result – of heat between Barrett and Cena? Who knows, but it's interesting nonetheless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9FrSjPqgxs&t=2m09s

Wrestling News World reported in August last year that backstage heat did indeed derail Barrett's initial push. Based on the article's claim that Barrett would be pushed again in the fall of 2013, which came to fruition with the Bad News Barrett gimmick, it would seem the report has some credibility (http://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/r...-barrett-power-of-wwe-brand-john-cenas-promo/).

Looks to me like Barrett was demoted after his main event run in 2010 due to heat with Cena. This is just my opinion, and is not an anti-Cena sentiment since maybe Barrett was the one in the wrong. What do you think of all this?

Personally I sorta hope it's true, not so I can be mad at Cena but it at least explains what happened to his push. When Nexus debuted they were insanely hot, and nothing was stopping that. They finally get there match against Cena and lose? That derailed it for me, after that I think the E gave up on them for a while. Then you had New Nexus and the Corre and it just did nothing for me. They tried breathing life into the gimmick but they couldn't, when they lost it was over.

I hope the WWE isn't stupid enough to choose by themselves to let Barrett lose in that match. I'm not mad at Cena or anything, Jericho could have decided the outcome and I'd be the same spot I am now, it's just stupid. Cena didn't need the win, Wade did. But who knows, maybe at the moment they thought the loss wouldn't hurt Nexus too bad and they were proven wrong.

I also wonder what started the heat between them, in general Cena doesn't seem like a bad guy backstage, and Barrett seems like he'd genuinely pay his dues and respect the company vets. Who knows though

So Barrett went from headlining five pay-per-views in 2010, to being a faceless mid-carder in 2011. From holding his own with elite stars like Cena, Edge, Jericho and Punk, to jobbing for Ezekiel Jackson.

Why? I've heard rumblings on fan forums for ages that Barrett and Cena didn't get along, and Bad News confirmed it in an interview today (http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/inter...n-cena-wwe-2k15-attitude-era-and-more-2019904). Besides a comment about Ziggler "running around" with his IC strap (not even sure that does undermine its credibility) it seems to be 100% shoot. In it Barrett said:

"[E]veryone knows that I don't like John Cena, and he doesn't like me either...Personally I don't like him and he doesn't like me, we are not friends."

I did some digging. In a 2011 shoot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uycJz9a7-WQ&t=3m40s), Barrett named Sheamus (a face) as a friend, and went on to say:

"Then there are guys like John Cena who I don't get along with. It just so happens that he's not a personality that I get on with very well, in or out of the ring."

Edge and Chris Jericho confirmed on the latter's podcast that Cena patently refused to put Barrett over at SummerSlam 2010; those two battled for it because Barrett and his group were "so hot". Was this the cause – or result – of heat between Barrett and Cena? Who knows, but it's interesting nonetheless: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9FrSjPqgxs&t=2m09s

Wrestling News World reported in August last year that backstage heat did indeed derail Barrett's initial push. Based on the article's claim that Barrett would be pushed again in the fall of 2013, which came to fruition with the Bad News Barrett gimmick, it would seem the report has some credibility (http://www.wrestlingnewsworld.com/r...-barrett-power-of-wwe-brand-john-cenas-promo/).

Looks to me like Barrett was demoted after his main event run in 2010 due to heat with Cena. This is just my opinion, and is not an anti-Cena sentiment since maybe Barrett was the one in the wrong. What do you think of all this?

You failed to mention the part where Cena went over to Edge and Jericho after the match and told them he was wrong. And anyway they were talking about the finish of the match and Cena didn't want to do it anyone else way except his. They were trying to argue to him that his finish was dumb and they got to the point where they quit trying.

Then they transition into saying they were actually politicing or whatever you want to call it for Barrett to win the match. They felt like he needed to go over and Edge just said fine do whatever you have to do and gave up.

I don't know if it's his not getting along with Cena or if it's his injuries or what that's keeping him down but he was getting pushed right before he got hurt again.

I also wonder what started the heat between them, in general Cena doesn't seem like a bad guy backstage, and Barrett seems like he'd genuinely pay his dues and respect the company vets. Who knows though

In a shoot interview Matt Stiker did he said Cena tends to keep to himself in the back and it rubs people the wrong way. He said Cena does it though because a lot of the guys want to use him to get a push. It's all about them and they don't stop and ask how he's doing or anything.

You failed to mention the part where Cena went over to Edge and Jericho after the match and told them he was wrong.

It's easy to do that once you get your way, which is why I didn't mention it. When the match was being planned, Edge and Jericho thought Barrett should beat Cena; Cena put himself over for the win.

Meh. Cena obviously has a major ego, if nothing else. Not to mention a master politicker. 1995 Kliq and 1984-1999 Hogan would be so proud. "Let's see, these new guys are coming in with a ton of momentum, and have the potential to become the new generation of main-eventers. 2 guys who have been around a lot longer than me and know the business a lot better than me are telling me that I should put over their leader in a match that won't affect me one bit. Hmmmmmm. I know, I'll beat him clean and destroy any chance he has at taking my spot someday!"

OK, OK, that's probably not what was going through Cena's mind. It just still frustrates me that so many fresh, young talent come in and start building some serious momentum and look like they're on their way to the top....only to lose to SuperCena and fade into either the midcard or obscurity. Now, that's probably not entirely his fault, as it seems Vinnie Mac is hellbent on riding Cena to the bank for as long as humanly possible, and will do whatever it takes to keep milking that cash cow, but it seems as though Cena is the one to blame in this instance. As for Barrett and Cena not liking each other, I don't think it's because of what happened 4 years ago.

It's easy to do that once you get your way, which is why I didn't mention it. When the match was being planned, Edge and Jericho thought Barrett should beat Cena; Cena put himself over for the win.

You need to listen to it again or read my full post.

Cena did not put himself over for the win. They were discussing the spot Cena wanted to do as being dumb and were trying to talk him out of that finish but they let him have his way and he admitted it was wrong and they said he came over and said they were right and he just didn't see it at the time. They mention that's how it has to go sometimes.

Then they go on to say they actually were fighting for Wade to go over. That part had nothing to do with Cena putting himself over for the win. Cena does not book the outcomes of matches. If you really think he does then you have a skewed vision. I'm sure Cena could have made a case for himself getting the win and creative or Vince or whoever could take that into consideration but in the end they'd book whoever they want to win and then the wrestlers would put the match together. Which is then when Cena would come up with the spot he wanted to do.

Cena does not book the outcomes of matches. If you really think he does then you have a skewed vision.

I absolutely think he does. It's on record that Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart had creative control, so why is it a stretch to imagine that John Cena – only the face of WWE, with a 13-year tenure, five WrestleMania main events and 15 world titles – has the same?

Did Cena have the book? Did Edge or Jericho?
Maybe Cena has more influence over Vince than the other two, but at the end of the day, if Vince wanted Barrett to go over, he would have. Am I missing something here?

Slash-LN hit the nail on the head with several good points, especially the point that in a shoot interview Matt Striker did he said Cena tends to keep to himself in the back and it rubs people the wrong way. He said Cena does it though because a lot of the guys want to use him to get a push. I went to SC (Springfield College) with Cena and he was an egomaniac back then, some of his football teammates said the same thing. He was so insecure that when he would go to a party, he would make sure his "boys" wouldn't let other guys in so he would have more "pie" to himself. I heard that after he graduated, he actually came back to visit, and pulled the same crap, acting like he was larger than life because that's when he was really into bodybuilding. I wasn't there so I can't confirm that, but from my experiences with him back in the day, if I saw him today, I wouldn't even want to interact with the d-bag. But when the cameras are rolling, I'm sure he's a joy to be around.

I think he's kayfabing, mate.

In regards to the whole thread, look, I've seen Barrett in interviews. He's a proper lad and a cool bloke, just like Cena himself. I saw one with IGN earlier this year. He keeps it real. And by real, I mean in character.

I doubt there's any heat between Cena and Barrett in real life. Barrett enjoys his current role, but would like to advance higher. He's got the perfect attitude of "I like what I'm doing now but I know I can be even bigger", and I don't think Cena would be petty enough to crush that.

Honestly, this thread seems very speculative. Creative are trying to balance a whole roster here. Barrett can't be pushed all the time, as much as I'd like him to be.

And yeah, Cena did go over Barrett, and I've heard that thing about Edge & Jericho batting for Wade. But Barrett was still very new at the time. I dunno if Cena was right, but, whatever, the win or the loss may not have secured Barrett's position even now.

I absolutely think he does. It's on record that Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart had creative control, so why is it a stretch to imagine that John Cena – only the face of WWE, with a 13-year tenure, five WrestleMania main events and 15 world titles – has the same?

Then why has it never came out before? Why wasn't this picked up by anyone reputable, only Youtube cretins? Because they, like you, have skewed what was said to fit your own point of view. Edge said that he wanted Nexus to go over as an aside to the conversation they were having, not that Cena wouldn't put them over. Cena wanted to end the match a certain way and Edge and Jericho both said that it sucked. They were right and Cena later admitted to it. Cena does not book who wins and loses his matches and no report of Cena refusing to to put someone over has ever surfaced from anyone reputable.

Doesn't make a fucking difference anyway. He was obviously kayfabing it. The real story here is that you fell for the classic WZ click-baiting and still haven't figured out that you've been had.

The most rigged, self aggrandising garbage I've read in some time.

Oh, you can use big words. I guess you aren't a moron. :rolleyes:

He "was obviously kayfabing it", then, since your opinion translates to inarguable fact.

I found it to be obvious, didn't say it was a fact. Maybe he really doesn't like him, maybe they have had some beef in the past. Or maybe he's just speaking in character. That's what I got from it. I find it hard to believe that Barrett would jeopardize his future by going out and Ziggler-ing in an interview. Then again, I have common sense. :shrug:

It's probably not helped... he has been seriously injured by other people too, wonder how John sees that?

At the end of the day 3 things have caused Barrett issues.

1) Injuries... not through his recklessness but by his opponent's recklessness on 2 seperate but equally damaging occasions. It's not his fault, but some people may just see him as "jinxed" and that could hurt him.

2) Visa issues... he had that long lay off where his work visa was out of date and there was some wrangling/delay. It was blamed on the shutdown but I've a feeling the "arrest that never was" for an argument with an off duty cop came into play... from what I understand the officer didn't identify themselves correctly so Barrett got a pass...but that kind of thing can come back to bite when it's time to renew your paperwork.

3) He is British... and he likes to talk... It's a hurdle for WWE and one they STILL don't seem ready to clear. I am sure BNB will be the one to get the World title, but it won't be for long and will probably be to pop a rating on a UK tour where they know there is a delay on the show. He has the tools, the bravado and the support of the fans, he will be a face whatever they try to do with him when he returns...

If he doesn't get on with Cena it's not that big an issue now as it was 3 years ago... I am sure that too has come into play, but Wade's skill is that he produces on the mic and in the ring. Remember that series with Orton before his Visa problems, with the stair spots... those were some killer matches. The last IC run was also shaping up that way. The reality is he is the closest they are ever gonna get to a Scott Hall or Barry Windham again in the ring... but that probably means upper midcard is where it ends for him... but being "that guy" in WWE is no bad thing.

BUT

He did F*** himself a bit as well in an interview a few years back where he said he planned to be out of the business in 5 years.. why would WWE invest a push in someone who is planning that short a stay? It would have taken 18 months to position him, then a run of 6 months to test it... by then he's on the outs by his own reckoning...

I am sure he's now a bit more tuned into his potential and what he could do, the long lay off and nearly losing his career to Dolph's lack of sense perhaps made him realise how much he DID want it. He's a great asset to WWE these days, he does lots of promotion even when injured and is as over as any other of the "prospects" arguably more so than Cesaro and perhaps Dolph in some ways. As a "spokesperson" and "ambassador" for the company he is articulate, engaging and popular with the media, the like interviewing him cos he will say what he thinks, will use his character and himself and has some interesting takes on things. Take the World Cup stuff, sure England were nowhere near winning it or had a shot, but he was front and centre in that whole "media campaign" thing WWE did around it, it was great cross promotion and like his speech at the HOF he handles this stuff well when given the chance.

I am sure Cena and he are not buddies, you can't like everyone...but they're both professionals and I am sure Cena would respect the way Barrett came back from that snapped elbow... it would have finished 90% of guys off and Barrett could easily have "given up". But this ain't the Icecapades. Wrestlers are not all meant to be buddies... many will say "this will screw him speaking out" but I think again Cena will respect it... he knows first hand that trash talking someone "above" you pays off... it's how he got Rock after all... Their next feud will perhaps have a little bit more "spice" and from their 2010 series we KNOW they have great chemistry as opponents... So no way Cena is gonna turn it down, how that works for BNB moving up? not so sure, but if he gets one title out of it... gotta be worth it.

The guys that matter are Vince and Hunter, you KNOW Trips rates Barrett from the intro he gave to the MITB match... the impression he did was with hindsight a major hint that Barrett was planned to walk out with the case... it shows Trips likes the gimmick, the attitude and Vince is supposedly very high on him from the HOF still, where he got a unique chance to "shake it up" after T's drone and managed it well.

With those two onside, Cena may not like it, but he ain't burying you like he did Riley.

Would love for them to have more big PPVs in the UK. I'm not from the UK, but I hate the "UK only PPVs". They're just house shows. Have SummerSlam there again, or hell, even WrestleMania. I get that the time difference sucks unless you start the PPV at midnight local time LOL. But have a big PPV start at 4pm EST and replay it at 8pm EST... Those who won't watch it at 4pm aren't the same people who are going to check spoilers before 8pm.

I agree, I think Barrett can be a huge star in WWE if they ever get past the fact that he's British and likes to talk. I don't think this matters though, since he's been over in America both as a face and as a heel. If they can build him up on American TV enough to be a believable title contender as a babyface (which they were getting close to before his latest injury), and then have him win the title on a big UK PPV, it'd be huge money. Maybe the biggest pop you've ever heard, especially if, let's say, he went over Cena.

But his biggest issue hasn't been Cena. It's been injuries. Every time he starts to get over lately it seems he gets sidelined.

Doesn't make a fucking difference anyway.

Noticeably F.A.T. said:

Oh, you can use big words. I guess you aren't a moron. :rolleyes:

I found it to be obvious, didn't say it was a fact. Maybe he really doesn't like him, maybe they have had some beef in the past. Or maybe he's just speaking in character. That's what I got from it. I find it hard to believe that Barrett would jeopardize his future by going out and Ziggler-ing in an interview. Then again, I have common sense. :shrug:

Thanks for bringing the expletives and name-calling. Disagreeing with you makes someone a moron with no common sense who's "been had" by the evil tricks of WrestleZone. Not intolerant of other opinions at all.

The fact remains that Barrett was not working with Cena at the time either of the linked interviews were published, and in the YouTube one named a babyface as a real-life friend. Not so kayfabe.

You failed to mention the part where Cena went over to Edge and Jericho after the match and told them he was wrong. And anyway they were talking about the finish of the match and Cena didn't want to do it anyone else way except his. They were trying to argue to him that his finish was dumb and they got to the point where they quit trying.

Jericho: “John wanted to do things a certain way and we told him ‘you’re wrong’. Remember that? And he did it anyways, and it sucked. And then afterwards he came over to us and said ‘I should have listened to you, but I wasn’t seeing it that way. And sometimes you just don’t see it that way, you know?”

Edge: “It’s one of those things…where he was adamant about what he wanted to do. And I remember, I was like, ‘fine, I’m out of the match by that point’.”

Jericho: [Laughs] “Exactly. He wanted to get DDT’d on the floor by Barrett, then kick out and beat them both. And you and I were like, ‘that’s the dumbest thing. That’s just throwing it away for no reason’.”

Edge: “They should have gone over because they were so hot.”

I think that 3rd quote is far more telling than the first one. Cena argued with the 2 most experienced veterans in the match telling them that he really wanted to no-sell a DDT on the cement and beat them 2-on-1. I remember how after the match everyone and their mother thought it was ridiculous. I vividly remember reading a JR blog about how no-selling the DDT on cement was just a bad idea.

When Cena just refuses to see what everybody else sees, it has to be for another reason. Cena is a veteran himself, he isn't dumb. To say he just "didn't see it" is shortsighted. It's possible that he wanted to stick it to Wade no matter what, whether it made any sense or not.

And it's not like they got a happy medium either--Edge and Jericho wanted the Nexus to go over. Cena wanted to do his hulking up after the DDT. They didn't compromise and have a less dominant Cena win. Cena got it exactly like he wanted. Not that it should come as a surprise, but it shows that he has an incredible control over his own finishes--- People can't absolve Cena and 100% blame creative for all the SuperCena moments.

I agree that Nexus should've went over at Summerslam 2010 and should've got a bigger push in the upcoming months. I also think Barrett should've won the title at the end of 2010 and could've carried it into Wrestlemania. But at the same time even though Barrett and The Nexus jobbed they still got great exposure being in the main event at a Summerslam. They did get a few more months of programming and high profile angles and matches. A lot of the original members are still on the main roster and have had decent runs like Barrett, Ryback, Slater, Young and Gabriel. So while I think we can agree the angle could've been handled better it still ended up being ok.

I think that 3rd quote is far more telling than the first one. Cena argued with the 2 most experienced veterans in the match telling them that he really wanted to no-sell a DDT on the cement and beat them 2-on-1. I remember how after the match everyone and their mother thought it was ridiculous. I vividly remember reading a JR blog about how no-selling the DDT on cement was just a bad idea.

When Cena just refuses to see what everybody else sees, it has to be for another reason. Cena is a veteran himself, he isn't dumb. To say he just "didn't see it" is shortsighted. It's possible that he wanted to stick it to Wade no matter what, whether it made any sense or not.

And it's not like they got a happy medium either--Edge and Jericho wanted the Nexus to go over. Cena wanted to do his hulking up after the DDT. They didn't compromise and have a less dominant Cena win. Cena got it exactly like he wanted. Not that it should come as a surprise, but it shows that he has an incredible control over his own finishes--- People can't absolve Cena and 100% blame creative for all the SuperCena moments.

I get where you're coming from Feedback. However, Edge & Jeri conceded that Cena came up to them later and admitted it was the wrong choice. I'm not sure it's as simple as Cena wanting to stay over - look at the Nexus. They were the "takeover" style villains. Now we've seen what happens when a villain faction is booked too strong - Hogan/Bischoff in WCW & TNA spring to mind. It's possible that Cena thought it entirely made sense, at that point in time, for the heroes to beat the villains, and I can see that too. So while Cena did control the finish, he obviously re-thought it later. I wouldn't be surprised if he also discussed this in person with Barrett. So while at the time he "didn't see it", he certainly did later.

It's a big thing to admit you're wrong, many people can't do it at all even as adults, so Cena wins respect points from me on that one.

However you're right that this interview does suggest that Cena has quite a high level of creative control, which is interesting ...

If anything I think Barrett should even be main eventing right now but he isn't and why? Because of the heat he has with Cena and I am sure if it had not been for that Barrett would have become WWE Champion by now or hell he would be a former World Heavyweight Champion by now but he isn't and why? Because of management let's face it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back