Voting because you haven't played the other

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
Is just a stupid reason. I've noticed one member having responded to at least 3 threads with that reason, including saying they'd played the orignal game in the series and that was shit.

Just wow.

Do you think this is a justifiyable reason?

I personally feel like seeing how I like the game thats against it, I should be able to. By the rules, which state, Vote on whatever criteria you want, the criteria I want is that I like the other game and not that one. If I havn't played either of the games, I won't vote for them, but seeing how I've played the other game that it's running against, I have a right to vote for it. It's vote for the game that I prefer, not which game everyone else likes.

I think voting for a game you have played is justifiable if the game is good. However, you shouldn't spew shit about the other game just because you haven't played it. I don't know how to explain it, but it just irks me.

I'm with what Eboney said.

Case in point, you've never played OOT because it's a mario clone so you're voting for SSB. Wow. At least research before you post.

I didn't vote for SSB because I didn't like zelda. I voted for SSB because I prefered that over zelda. If you gave me a choice, today, that i could either play SSB, or OOT, I would pick SSB. Not because of OOT being a clone of anything, but just for the simple fact that I actually enjoyed SSB. I can understand if I stated that both games sucked by OOT sucked more, then yeah, it would be a problem. Or I could see if I hadn't played either of them, and just voted just for the point of voted, but in actuality, SSB is a great game to me, and it's the reason why all of the other Smash brothers games was even made.

Take the Jet Force Gemini and Elite vote, I played them both, and didn't enjoy either of them, so I didn't vote. As for Halo and Paladin's Quest, I played one, didn't really like it, and didn't play the other, thus, I didn't vote for either of them. The point of me voting for SSB wasn't just to vote against OOT, it was that I enjoyed SSB.

If you had of posted that I wouldn't have cared, but to say it's a mario clone is just wow.

I understand where you are coming from, and I may be wrong for saying that it's a mario clone, but that's my opinion on it. I know people may not agree with it, but to me, they follow the same guidelines. You have the hero (Mario/Link), the bad guy (Bowser/Ganandorf), the kingdom they are trying to save (Mushroom/Hyrule) and the princess (Peach or Toadstool whatever they decide to call her/Zelda). Yes, one added new things to the pot, and is a different genre, but I feel like one is more for kids (Mario), and one is more for teens/adults (zelda). Yeah, Zelda is more complexed, but that's because of it's audience. That's why I see it as a clone. Mario is a platform because it is more child friendly, Zelda is adventure and has puzzles to be more fun for the older crowd. That's just how I see it. And if it's wrong, then I'll admit that I'm wrong on this subject, but that's how I see it.

So you think Zelda is a Mario clone because it's about a good guy saving a hostage from the evil bad guy?

Welcome to every fucking video game in the history of mankind. Good guys fight bad guys. That's the way all stories work.

Will you vote for a single FPS? I mean they are all clones of each other. What about a movie game? They are direct clones of the film they are based off of.

Your missing the point. If you like a game, play up why it's good and what you love about it. That's what I'm doing. I haven't played alot of the games here so I'm just focusing on the games I like and why people should vote for it.

Calling a game that is widely regarded as one of the best of all time (not to mention one that is the favourite of the moderator running the tournament and many of the posters participating) shit or a "clone" is going to step on a few people's toes.

**EDIT**. I'm talking about the Hustla guy, not Stormtrooper.

Hey it's not my favourite game ever. Just thought I'd point that out!

Your missing the point. If you like a game, play up why it's good and what you love about it. That's what I'm doing. I haven't played alot of the games here so I'm just focusing on the games I like and why people should vote for it.

Calling a game that is widely regarded as one of the best of all time (not to mention one that is the favourite of the moderator running the tournament and many of the posters participating) shit or a "clone" is going to step on a few people's toes.

**EDIT**. I'm talking about the Hustla guy, not Stormtrooper.

I understand what you mean, fully, but I also feel like the forum is a placefor conversation and opinions. Everyone won't like every opinion someone has, but that's what makes a forum good. Conversation and statements like "Zelda is a Mario clone" sparks conversation and debate, which is good for business. If a few toes become stepped on in the process, then that's even better because that makes the conversations better. Sometimes I go against the grain, but I never fear going against the grain, nor do I fear having my opinions slaughtered and slashed by the majority. It's all for good conversation, and, when the other side presents things in a smart, not asshole like way, you actually learn things if you allow yourself to. I understand both sides of the argument, I understand why I see it as a clone, and I now understand why others, like Lee, don't.

I understand what you mean, fully, but I also feel like the forum is a placefor conversation and opinions. Everyone won't like every opinion someone has, but that's what makes a forum good. Conversation and statements like "Zelda is a Mario clone" sparks conversation and debate, which is good for business. If a few toes become stepped on in the process, then that's even better because that makes the conversations better. Sometimes I go against the grain, but I never fear going against the grain, nor do I fear having my opinions slaughtered and slashed by the majority. It's all for good conversation, and, when the other side presents things in a smart, not asshole like way, you actually learn things if you allow yourself to. I understand both sides of the argument, I understand why I see it as a clone, and I now understand why others, like Lee, don't.

See, the problem is that saying "Zelda is a Mario Clone" doesn't spark debate. It sparks virtually everyone telling you you're a dumbass, which isn't a debate, it's an agreement. It also ruins any and all credibility you have in a video game debate. There is not a single person in the video game field that would tell you that your statement has any merit. Making bold-faced lies like that just makes people ignore your opinions, which isn't good for you.

See, the problem is that saying "Zelda is a Mario Clone" doesn't spark debate. It sparks virtually everyone telling you you're a dumbass, which isn't a debate, it's an agreement. It also ruins any and all credibility you have in a video game debate. There is not a single person in the video game field that would tell you that your statement has any merit. Making bold-faced lies like that just makes people ignore your opinions, which isn't good for you.

Lol, okay, Mr. I speak for the entire video game industry, answer me this question, where are your facts? So far, I've heard, the genre are different, okay, so where are your facts? Outside of what everyone else has brought to the table, where are your facts? Where is the article of the creators saying it's not a clone. Where is the facts that show that no one else in the entire video game field agrees with this "dumbass", as you put it. Just because Zelda fans don't agree, doesn't mean that no one else does. So unless you have something to add to the pot, your comments are not needed, because from as far as I can see, this topic is having a nice amount of posts, and if no one cared, and ignored it, then why are you still talking about it?

So like I said, where are your facts?

Would OOT be regarded as one of the best games of all time if it was a clone?

No.

FACT

Did Miyamoto base Zelda on his childhood adventures of fidning a cave and not the Mario series?

Yes.

FACT.

Is hero from small town, saves princess and homeland the most over used story in any media including things such as the Star Wars movies to a lot of games and a ton of books?

Yes.

FACT.

Why the hell does Miyamoto need to say it's not a clone when you're actually the first person I've known of to state it's a clone. Search "Is Zelda a Mario clone" you get a zelda site, some youtube video about easter eggs in the game, some other site and then two threads from this tourament. You're on your own here.

Lee, I already understand where you were coming from, and you already explained to me why it wasn't. My comment was to stormtrooper just for the simple fact that he feels as if he can speak for an industry filled with millions of people with millions of different tastes and beliefs. I've already accepted your thoughts and ideas, I just don't see how someone can say that I'm the only one who thinks or thought that it was.

Lee, I already understand where you were coming from, and you already explained to me why it wasn't. My comment was to stormtrooper just for the simple fact that he feels as if he can speak for an industry filled with millions of people with millions of different tastes and beliefs. I've already accepted your thoughts and ideas, I just don't see how someone can say that I'm the only one who thinks or thought that it was.
So you want MY answer? Well, Lee beat me to it. Here's my take, whic is the same as Lee's.

Would OOT be regarded as one of the best games of all time if it was a clone?

No.

FACT

Did Miyamoto base Zelda on his childhood adventures of fidning a cave and not the Mario series?

Yes.

FACT.

Is hero from small town, saves princess and homeland the most over used story in any media including things such as the Star Wars movies to a lot of games and a ton of books?

Yes.

FACT.

Why the hell does Miyamoto need to say it's not a clone when you're actually the first person I've known of to state it's a clone. Search "Is Zelda a Mario clone" you get a zelda site, some youtube video about easter eggs in the game, some other site and then two threads from this tourament. You're on your own here.

Thanks Lee, sorry for stealing your post.

I wasn't speaking "on behalf of the entire industry," I was speaking with enough knowledge to know that you were in fact the only person in the history of history to say such stupid garbage.

I can justify saying that you are the only person to say that, because, get this, you are the only person I know of to ever say that.

Reactions: Lee
Lol, so your reason for saying it is because I'm the only person you've seen say it? Lol, that's a very good reason. It's hilarious how you can just jump to the conclusion that because no one else has said it to you that you can say no one has ever said it in the history of history. Now I totally understand. That cleared it all up for me.

Okay, enough with the sarcasm.

So you're statement of saying I'm the only one in the history of history to ever say it, is as off struck as my statement of it being a clone, due to the fact that you are assuming that it is because you dont actually know a person who has said it before and never paid attention to it because you listen to the majority, and mine is because I only see Zelda on the outside because I never paid enough attention to it to really see past the similarities. That made me realize that my statement was wrong, because your statement is wrong, and they are both based on limited information.

So I hereby say, that Lee, job well done. You have proven to me that my statement of "Zelda is a Mario clone" is absolutely wrong. I am man enough to admit when I'm wrong. And that, my fellow forum dwellers, is facts.

Firstly let me state that I agree with the OP although this needs to be said...

I think the only way it is justifiable to vote without playing the other game is if you firstly have played one of the games to some extent, and you at least know about the other game and by your standards felt it wasn't even worth it to play.

Only way you morallly "could" vote against an other game.

I'll be voting against plenty of games I haven't played. I don't need to play a lot of games to know that I dislike them, just as I don't need to stick my hand into a blender to know that it's going to hurt. I know perfectly well that God of War 2 is bland, repetitive and mind numbingly easy action that casually rapes Greek mythology and has the kind of male protagonist worthy of nothing but contempt (the one aimed at the insecure adolescent demographic). I see no reason why I should have to subject myself to the game in order to have my voice heard.

What I won't be doing however is voting against games because I've never heard of them. If I'm too ignorant to make an informed comparison between the two games in question then I'm too ignorant to have my vote counted. When Stone Soup or Worlds Apart are up for voting I don't expect everyone who isn't me to keep their mouth shut, but I do expect people to take a few minutes to "learn what the fuck you're talking about". Otherwise this whole exercise becomes a complete waste of time.

The truth of the matter is that if people did not vote against games that they had not played then this tournament would have a lower voter turn out than a British General Election.

That said, it just demonstrates your own ignorance if you specifically vote against a game because you have not played it. To take Gelgarin's point a bit further, there are plenty of games out there that I have not played but I am confident are good games - for example, I have never played a Final Fantasy game but I am pretty certain that at least one of them would be considered a great game. I also have never played a PS3 or an XBOX 360 but I would guess that there are some good games on those systems.

Lol, okay, Mr. I speak for the entire video game industry, answer me this question, where are your facts? So far, I've heard, the genre are different, okay, so where are your facts? Outside of what everyone else has brought to the table, where are your facts? Where is the article of the creators saying it's not a clone. Where is the facts that show that no one else in the entire video game field agrees with this "dumbass", as you put it. Just because Zelda fans don't agree, doesn't mean that no one else does. So unless you have something to add to the pot, your comments are not needed, because from as far as I can see, this topic is having a nice amount of posts, and if no one cared, and ignored it, then why are you still talking about it?

So like I said, where are your facts?

He's right. Saying "Zelda is a Mario clone" is an objectively idiotic thing to say. Zelda is nothing like Mario, and there's nothing debatable about it.

Zelda is a Mario clone?!

Jesus Christ. I liked Mario.

I'll be voting against plenty of games I haven't played. I don't need to play a lot of games to know that I dislike them, just as I don't need to stick my hand into a blender to know that it's going to hurt.

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back