unpopular TV show opinions

Ah, finally. Being a brit, we only get a few American TV shows, but I can comment on them.

Big Bang Theory: Possibly my favourite show ever. Superb. It's a surprise that the people that wrote BBT wrote Two And A Half Men.

TAAHM: Man, I hate this programme. SO FREAKING MUCH. It NEVER makes me laugh. Charlie Sheen is not funny. End of. Cannot stand him.

HIMYM: Pfft. Boring. Most of the actors are film stars, and yet, they star in this shit and it gets popular. HOW? I think it's only made me smile once. And I think it was a dog that did it. BORING.

Scrubs: UP THERE WITH BBT. I Love It. PERIOD.

King of the Hill: Supposed to be a comedy programme. Never made me laugh. Awful.

FEELS SO GOOD TO GET THAT OFF MY CHEST! :D

I've never seen a full episode all the way through of either Seinfeld or Friends. Neither one appeals to me enough to keep my attention.

And though I love The Big Bang Theory, I see where some of it gets a little repetitive. I also feel they've limited Sheldon's character too much. He was more open in earlier seasons. Though, Amy has filled that void well and is one of the funniest characters on the show.

I'm trying to get back into Family Guy, but I can't. I'll watch some of the recent re-runs on Cartoon Network at night. The Peter VS Chicken fights were funny at first, but MacFarlane just ran it into the ground after a while. And the Meg bashing feels so tiresome.

Plus, CBS reinforced my disdain for the horrible writing on 2 Broke Girls. I'm watching the commercials during the Colts/Ravens game, and one of the many promos for 2 Broke Girls pops up. Kat Dennings and the other woman make cupcakes, and Kat Dennings said something along the lines of "don't forget they're homemade. And when I say homemade, I mean ho-made."

I'm trying to get back into Family Guy, but I can't. I'll watch some of the recent re-runs on Cartoon Network at night. The Peter VS Chicken fights were funny at first, but MacFarlane just ran it into the ground after a while. And the Meg bashing feels so tiresome.

MacFarlane doesn't write Family Guy anymore. He hasn't for a long time, actually.

American Dad is better.

Plus, CBS reinforced my disdain for the horrible writing on 2 Broke Girls. I'm watching the commercials during the Colts/Ravens game, and one of the many promos for 2 Broke Girls pops up. Kat Dennings and the other woman make cupcakes, and Kat Dennings said something along the lines of "don't forget they're homemade. And when I say homemade, I mean ho-made."

Just saw the same commercial. Jesus Christ.

I hate sitcom writers with a passion. I am a huge fan of Louis CK and he had a show on HBO called Lucky Louie that was supposed to be like, a "dirty" sitcom. A lot of it was great, but sometimes you could see the typical sitcom horseshit jokes coming through. His new show, which he writes completely on his own, is soooo much better.
----------------------------------------

Used to love HIMYM. They were actually pretty creative with their story devices and Barney used to make me laugh. Then they got lazy.

I will never watch Game of Thrones. I started watching the first episode then I turned it off as soon as the little dead girl's eyes started glowing. I can't get emotionally invested in a show with supernatural shit going on.

OK, don't crucify me, big statement coming...

South Park continues to be routinely the most effective, important, and relevant socially satirical show on television right now. And perhaps ever.

MacFarlane doesn't write Family Guy anymore. He hasn't for a long time, actually.

Didn't know that about MacFarlane. I lost interest in Family Guy after the Stewie Kills Lois/Lois Kills Stewie episodes. For me, Family Guy peaked after both episodes, and I couldn't get back into it afterwards.

American Dad is better.

I'm out of the loop for recent stuff, but I like what I see in the re-runs.

I hate sitcom writers with a passion. I am a huge fan of Louis CK and he had a show on HBO called Lucky Louie that was supposed to be like, a "dirty" sitcom. A lot of it was great, but sometimes you could see the typical sitcom horseshit jokes coming through. His new show, which he writes completely on his own, is soooo much better.

I haven't payed attention to anything on HBO since The Sopranos and Six Feet Under ended. Bored To Death was atrocious, and I've never understood the praise for True Blood.

I will never watch Game of Thrones. I started watching the first episode then I turned it off as soon as the little dead girl's eyes started glowing. I can't get emotionally invested in a show with supernatural shit going on.

I tried to get into Game Of Thrones during the first season, but I lost interest after the first two or three episodes.

Oh man, tons. I think most of my opinions are different from the general populace (which is the main reason why I don't have TV anymore).

Friends
Sometimes I like simple stuff, but sometimes simple humor just feels... dumb to me.

Family Guy
I used to like it, but I don't know what happened. All I know is I can't stand Mcfarlane. I don't like people who think their opinion is fact very much in general, and I hate that he has his name on American Dad!, which I love. American Dad! RULES!

The Big Bang Theory
I dunno, it's okay, I just think they try too hard and miss too much. Also, for a supposedly smart show they rely on simpleminded humor a lot. Obviously this is to appeal to a wider audience, but that's kind of like selling out. Meh

How I met your Mother
It feels like watching Friends to me.

Any CSI, NCIS or WTVR
Feels very, very, very, very, very, very, overdone and redundant to me (see what I did there?)

I have tried and tried and tried to get into the Big Bang Theory, even borrowing the first 3 series of my brother and yet....while it has funny moments it just doesn't do it for me.

I just find them too nerdy to be funny. Howard is a good character, but the rest just seem so dislikeable, especially Sheldon. His feminine characteristics and even his voice just wind me up, he has the odd funny line, but I just don't think its my type of humour.

Which is a shame as Penny is fiiiiine!

It seems like a lot of these unpopular opinions are pretty popular in the forums. The Simpsons haven't done the job for me since I was about 14. I am 32 now. Family guy is unwatchable at times as well. Even Southpark has lost it's luster. I can't really think of any other ones that haven't been said. I will go as far as today most comedy shows are not anywhere near what they used to be. I tend to stick to drama.

Here we go....

I'm a straight male that loves Grey's Anatomy.
I can't explain it. I love the characters, the writing, and the acting. It's all well done, and what it does is give a real look into how people would handle traumatic situations. I admit the situations that happen to them are far-fetched, but I believe that's how those characters would handle them.

Walking Dead, CSI, and NCIS all suck a huge one to me.
Can't get into either one of the shows, and don't understand the love for any of them.

I don't like MASH
And I also don't believe that many people watched the series finale.

Lost sucked.
And I had a hearty laugh when fanboys cringed at the finale.

How I Met Your Mother has seriously let me down.
The last two seasons seem as if the writers are just writing to get the show over with. No substance and it's the same ol' sitcom formula that dooms a lot of sitcoms - laziness.

Not sure if it will get me hate on here but I actually enjoyed the ending to Lost ...

I think it didnt cover everything, but it wrapped it up nicely enough. Sure they could have done much better but its in the past now.

I will add to my post to that I thought the ending to Lost was phenomenal. It didn't cover everything, but for the hole they dug themselves into I think they did pretty well with it. There was no way they were ever going to satisfy everyone, and I think the way the did it was fitting. My problem wasn't with the ending it was how the rest of the last season seemed tossed together. The end satisfied me though, and I actually just watched it again yesterday.

I will add to my post to that I thought the ending to Lost was phenomenal. It didn't cover everything, but for the hole they dug themselves into I think they did pretty well with it. There was no way they were ever going to satisfy everyone, and I think the way the did it was fitting. My problem wasn't with the ending it was how the rest of the last season seemed tossed together. The end satisfied me though, and I actually just watched it again yesterday.

Same here!

What I loved about the show was that it touched on basically EVERYTHING, like, you name a topic, it was addressed on the show in some way or another :p I really liked the ending, it gave me closure. I was scared I was going to feel like I need more but they pulled it off nicely.

Then again I also loved the Sopranos' ending xD

I enjoyed the American office much more then the English office.

Father Ted is funnier then your favourite sitcom.

The first season of family guy is one of the funniest seasons from any sitcom and is criminally underrated.

EDIT: The last one isn't really an unpopular opinion.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to get some other opinions. I'm not a Democrat by any stretch of the imagination, but I think that The West Wing is the best television show in the history of the medium. Aaron Sorkin is a mad genius and the acting and writing was just phenomenal.

Same here!

What I loved about the show was that it touched on basically EVERYTHING, like, you name a topic, it was addressed on the show in some way or another :p I really liked the ending, it gave me closure. I was scared I was going to feel like I need more but they pulled it off nicely.

Then again I also loved the Sopranos' ending xD

Did people hate the ending to the Sopranos????? That ending was ingenious so I guess I can add that to my unpopular opinions as well. David Chase taught us a life lesson with that ending. Life always goes on, unfortunately we don't always get all the answers we want. That ending was debated for years. Great stuff man.

Did people hate the ending to the Sopranos????? That ending was ingenious so I guess I can add that to my unpopular opinions as well. David Chase taught us a life lesson with that ending. Life always goes on, unfortunately we don't always get all the answers we want. That ending was debated for years. Great stuff man.

Agreed, that's exactly what I thought of it! But most people I spoke to didn't like it, they were all "Oh that's a copout, he couldn't think of an ending, blablabla"

That show in general had some deeply hidden lessons amongst the more obvious ones, but yeah the ending was just *smacks fingers Italian style* MOLTO BENEEEEEEEEE

And speaking of criminally underrated shows, NewsRadio never gets any love and that show was freaking hilarious.

ALSO AGREE! Aw man now I miss that show again :( DOWNLOAD TIME

Throw my name in the hat for South Park. No complaints about quality or anything like that, but I don't have any interest in the show anymore, like at all. I haven't followed a full season since 2010, and I've tried to get back into it every now and then, but I just can't.

I love British quiz shows - whether it's serious quizzes like 'Pointless', 'The Chase', 'Eggheads', 'WWTBAM', 'Perfection' etc or satirical comedy like 'Mock The Week', 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks', 'A League Of Their Own' and especially 'QI'. I find them all more entertaining than pretty much any sitcom or series these days... having said that, I was mightily tickled by quite a bit of 'Mrs Brown's Boys' (when Brendan O'Carroll isn't vanishing up his own arse that is).

I just discovered Lost on Netflix about 3 months or so ago. It was an amazing show with a great premise and decent ending. I watched the entire series in a month or two and I enjoyed it until the very end. The only thing I didn't get was the ending itself. Was the island and everything after it supposed to be limbo, heaven, or hell? Because all of that was unclear and I was wondering what it was all supposed to mean.

I also used to like Family Guy occasionally, but it stopped being funny seasons ago. The older seasons had more funny occasional moments like cartoon references or pop culture nods. It isn't funny anymore and I haven't watched it much.

I just discovered Lost on Netflix about 3 months or so ago. It was an amazing show with a great premise and decent ending. I watched the entire series in a month or two and I enjoyed it until the very end. The only thing I didn't get was the ending itself. Was the island and everything after it supposed to be limbo, heaven, or hell? Because all of that was unclear and I was wondering what it was all supposed to mean.

I also used to like Family Guy occasionally, but it stopped being funny seasons ago. The older seasons had more funny occasional moments like cartoon references or pop culture nods. It isn't funny anymore and I haven't watched it much.

In the last season they did flash sideways and that was the purgatory type place they were in. When Jack's dad told him he was dead he also said that all of the stuff on the island really happened. Jack died on the island, but the ones that remained alive lived out there lives as normal. They just died at any point in time like normal. The purgatory type place that they found each other again in was created by them so they could find each other because as Jack's dad said the island time was the most important part of their lives. I also watched the whole series in a month or two. I never got all the hate for the ending. I hope that clears a little up for you.

In the last season they did flash sideways and that was the purgatory type place they were in. When Jack's dad told him he was dead he also said that all of the stuff on the island really happened. Jack died on the island, but the ones that remained alive lived out there lives as normal. They just died at any point in time like normal. The purgatory type place that they found each other again in was created by them so they could find each other because as Jack's dad said the island time was the most important part of their lives. I also watched the whole series in a month or two. I never got all the hate for the ending. I hope that clears a little up for you.

I remember the scene where Locke's father mentioned that he thought they were "in Hell". I was already kind of thinking that was where it was headed anyway. Especially with all the references to not being able to leave the island and all. Plus, they had to keep hitting the button in the hatch, which seems like cruel and unusual punishment, like you might expect in Hell. The ending seemed a little vague and unclear. How did they find each other again if Jack was the only dead person? Then there's the whole issue of island time vs. real time which was also vague and undefined. I kinda understood the ending with Jack having to "let go" and move on to Heaven or Hell or wherever he was going next. But I wondered what the Dharma initiative was supposed to be. Was it a government project about the afterlife? I thought Lost was a great show and had really good characters but the overall plot was kind of a mystery and it left more questions than answers. Thanks for trying to explain it, though.

Yeah, from my understanding the Island was the only weird thing on the show; it had been there since the dawn of time or whatever, had magical properties and needed a keeper for the light and stuff like that. It always seemed like the Island had a mind of its own, in a way. But since all that weird supernatural stuff happened there and everywhere else on earth is just like it is here, well, if YOU suddenly arrived at that place, you'd jump to conclusions like it being heaven or hell or whatever pretty quickly too I think. I mean, it's really weird xD

The Dharma initiative was pretty much what would happen if the actual government actually got their hands on such a place- some people involved were trying to further understand its potential and what it could mean about life, the universe and everything, and others were trying to exploit it.

Basically the only weird thing was the island. The last season, as explained, was stuff that happens to people when they die; they kind of drift around in a makeshift purgatory until they figure out what was truly important to them, or something like that.

Now I wanna watch it again xD

If you're still interested about exploring it more or finding answers to questions you might have I think Lostpedia is a pretty decent place to check out.
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/The_Island

I remember the scene where Locke's father mentioned that he thought they were "in Hell". I was already kind of thinking that was where it was headed anyway. Especially with all the references to not being able to leave the island and all. Plus, they had to keep hitting the button in the hatch, which seems like cruel and unusual punishment, like you might expect in Hell. The ending seemed a little vague and unclear. How did they find each other again if Jack was the only dead person? Then there's the whole issue of island time vs. real time which was also vague and undefined. I kinda understood the ending with Jack having to "let go" and move on to Heaven or Hell or wherever he was going next. But I wondered what the Dharma initiative was supposed to be. Was it a government project about the afterlife? I thought Lost was a great show and had really good characters but the overall plot was kind of a mystery and it left more questions than answers. Thanks for trying to explain it, though.
By the time they all met up in purgatory or what ever that was they were all dead. Like I said they just died at different points in time. Jack's dad tells Jack all that at the end of the last episode. There were alot of unanswered questions, and Dharma was never fully explained. That was a lot of people's problem with the end. It didn't answer every question. I am by no means an expert at analyzing shows, but jack's dad did explain a lot at the end. If you can check out the last episode again pay attention to when Jack's dad explains it all to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back