• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tough Enough Contestant Lashing Out

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
I was surfing the net a little while ago and came across this link: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2011/0802/542481/

Jeremiah Briggs, one of the final three contestants on Tough Enough, gave an interview to the Around the Octagon website. Briggs states that the WWE isn't going to be offering him a contract. Here are some of the higlights of the interview:

"Two weeks ago I was invited to go to Tampa to tryout for FCW and from what they gathered they loved my personality but they said I was only average in the ring and said I have a bad attitude and carried myself like I had something to prove.

Honestly, I think there's a lot of truth in that statement. I liked Jeremiah on the show. He showed a lot of heart and did have legit personality. However, the guy was downright reckless and showed little to no regard for his own safety or the safety of whoever he was in the ring with. He'd attempt moves, like that moonsault elbow that he tried for instance, without having practiced it and didn't do it right. He said he just decided to do it on the fly. Also, because he actually tried it, he thought that set him apart. It would've set him apart if he'd been able to pull it off without nearly killing his opponent, if he'd actually been practicing with someone instead of using the heavy bag.

"I told them that if I'm average I'm doing pretty damn good considering I had only done this for two months. If I can get to average in several weeks imagine what I can do in a few months. And of course I'm eager to prove myself. I was surrounded by guys who had done this for several years and they were all wondering who this new rookie was. I had to show them I belonged."

Yeah, the statement pretty much backs up what he said when he told them that the people at FCW thought he was walking around like he had something to prove to someone. Not that he didn't show a real knack for it and he was generally impressive for someone that'd just gotten into things.

"90% of those guys are vanilla. They are all the same. Long hair, pony tail, boring as can be. The day I left Tampa I shaved my head because I didn't want to be anything like them. I'm Jeremiah Riggs from Vicksburg, Mississippi. I'm not going to be a clone. All of their promos sounded the same. They are boring and play it safe. People are afraid of the truth."

Not very complimentary by any stretch and there's probably some truth in what he says. At the same time, however, the guy sounds like he also has an attitude problem. He's been in the business for all of about 5 minutes and he's already talking trash about people that've devoted years to wrestling.

"What do they want in a superstar? I don't need a character. I'm Jeremiah Riggs. I don't need a new name or gimmick. The WWE has a s--tty developmental roster. No one stands out. They are all scared of failure and half of them have been there for years. They are all the same and do the same stuff. Sure, they have a few guys that have potential but they are all clones. But I'm not going to be just like everybody else. What are they going to do send me home? You can't scare someone who ain't afraid."

As I said, it sounds like Briggs has a real attitude problem. He's using bland generalization to slam guys in FCW because he ultimately didn't get what he wanted or was hoping for. As I aluded to, Briggs has been in wrestling long enough to finish a cup of coffee but tries to come off like someone that's worked his ass off in the business for years and hasn't gotten what he feels he deserves.

"Me and Bill were cool on the show. I heard he got a job as a scout for the WWE and I was glad to hear he was doing good for himself. He deserves it after so long in the business. When I was in Tampa doing my match with Orlov, Bill was praising me and talking about how good I was doing. I was doing stuff that Luke and Andy couldn't do, on the first try. But when I walked into FCW a few weeks ago he acted like he was too cool to talk to me. He's changed man. He thinks he is somebody because he was the big man on the show. I guess Hollywood went to his head. Sure he had a mediocre wrestling career and found new life on Tough Enough. I don't give a s--t. I'll whoop his fat ass."

Bill DeMott is highly respected in wrestling and, again, Briggs comes across as someone that simply has no respect. I can understand being frustrated with a setback, that's perfectly natural. But it sounds like the guy thinks of himself already as a star despite the fact that he hasn't done anything. Hell, he hasn't even been in wrestling long enough to accomplish anything. Of course, this stuff with Bill DeMott is Briggs' side of the story and we've all come across stuff like this online from guys that haven't made it yet or haven't been "used" the way that they think they should.

Overall, I'd say he does have some points about some issues. At the same time though, he comes across sounding like yet another guy that believes himself to be far better than he actually is. From what we saw on Tough Enough, Jeremiah has a lot of heart and passion. At the same time though, he was sloppy and had no regard for physical safety. Just because a wrestler doesn't have common sense enough to have an inkling of fear and concern for himself and whoever he might be facing off against doesn't make that wrestler superior. Ultimately, it makes him a liability. He also comes across as someone that's already developed a massive ego and sees himself as a star despite the fact that he's paid no dues and doesn't really sound like he believes that he should.

Well Jack-Hammer I think you broke it down pretty well from what I can see.

Personally I liked Jeremiah on TE, I thought he was pretty good in the entertainment aspect of things but at the same time I don't think I ever saw a wrestler more dangerous in my entire life. The guy made a lot of bad botches on TE and frankly he was damn lucky he didn't seriously injure anyone because he definitely came close on more than one occasion. He definitely has the personality to do wrestling but he has to polish his in ring skills if he is gonna get anywhere, entertainment isn't enough if no one will work with you because you are unsafe.

With his comments I thought he came off as an arrogant prick for the most part and personally came off as someone who thought he knew more than most. I did however agree with his comment that all wrestlers are the same in FCW which is very true for the most part (then again thats true in WWE as well) but don't walk into an interview acting like your a superstar when you can't even wrestle a match without hurting someone, this isn't MMA Jeremiah.

Lastly I don't know much about the situation between him and DeMott for the simple fact I wasn't there but even if DeMott treated Jeremiah like a piece of dirt (even though it sounds like he just ignored him) that still doesn't give Jeremiah a right to trash him for doing so. Veterans doing stuff like that to rookies is commonplace in the wrestling business and as a rookie Jeremiah would be best if he just shut his mouth and opened his eyes and ears so he could become better. After this interview any shot he had with WWE is out the window for good but nice work Jeremiah, throwing your career away to look like a big shot, I hope it was worth it pal.

Jeremiah seemed like one of those MMA douchebags. He also seemed fickle and selfish. He was a marine or some shit, left his wife, tried MMA, now he's trying wrestling. I don't think he loves wrestling, I think he loves himself and loves proving to people how manly he thinks he is. No offense to the armed forces because I respect most of them, but a lot of marines I've met have the same basic thinking process. They cheat on their girlfriends and are always out to prove how much more man they are than "the liberal sissies" or whatever.

He just seems like a douche. An athletic, entertaining douche, but a guy you don't want on your roster. He's too dangerous because he thinks he's too badass to get hurt. I can see him not wanting to job and/or injuring a lot of guys.

The first thing that popped into my head when I read this is simple: who in the world is Jeremiah freaking Riggs to say this? He got a spot on a reality show. Those guys got hired as wrestlers. See the difference here Jeremiah? They got actual jobs doing what you want to do while you're talking to some website about how you should have their spots. You didn't win Tough Enough because the trainers said you were average in the ring. So in other words you're right, but guys like DeMott, Austin, Trish and Booker and all the guest trainers are wrong. See why I'd have a hard time buying that? Comes off as sour grapes, period.

I think people are not giving Riggs the credit he deserves. He came into tough enough as an MMA fighter with no professional wrestling experience and he was better than most in the show, obviously he was or he wouldn't have made it to the final 3.

With that, I'm gonna laugh hard if this is some way to get Bill back on TV

He has an interesting personality but was very dangerous in the ring. If a driver is dangerous, he is not a good driver, simple, same for wrestling. But he was new to this so I guess he did pretty well in the small amount of time but he has a learn to learn too. While I was not there , I kinda see his attitude problem is exposed in that interview itself but the way he comments on people who actually seemed to have impressed more than him at fcw. Looks to me that his success in tough enough might have got to his head here. The winner is not sure to make it in the WWE, now think about the guy who came 3rd...he overrates himself. The trainers said it multiple times during the show, interesting guy but a liability in the ring.

I think people are not giving Riggs the credit he deserves. He came into tough enough as an MMA fighter with no professional wrestling experience and he was better than most in the show, obviously he was or he wouldn't have made it to the final 3.

With that, I'm gonna laugh hard if this is some way to get Bill back on TV
A lot of them were pretty shitty. He got as far as he did because he was athletic and had personality. Not because he could execute moves better. They pointed that out pretty much every show "Jeremiah you're behind these guys but you're good for someone with your experience level".

I bet he goes on to something different within a year. Although a viral feud with him and DeMott would be fun.

Wow, what a surprise... a contestant on a reality show who never came from a pro-wrestling background loses the contest and bitches afterwards that he didn't get a contract, after the fact. After all, he played a wrestler for 8 weeks; HE KNOWS EVERYTHING ABOUT PRO-WRESTLING NOW! Shit, if guys like Bill Demott, Booker T and Stone Cold Steve Austin didn't think he was good enough then they must be dead wrong because you've got eight weeks under your belt, right?

Dude, get the fuck over yourself. I'm sure you're a tough-as-nails MMA fighter and I sure as hell would never want to get into a fight with you but let's face facts; if LEGENDS of professional wrestling tell you something about the craft and you think another, it might be safe to say that you're dead wrong. So sit back, relax, go to the nearest diner, pay $2.25, get yourself a big slice of humble pie and reminisce on a once in a lifetime experience that you had. Be proud that you made it as far as you did. But when that's all over, shut the fuck up and go back to MMA training because you seriously know dick about wrestling.

yah toothless dude does come out sounding like sour grapes!!! He cant be reckless like he showed or have an attitude!! Those two things got Riggs killed very fast!! Maybe one day we will see him but not in the near future!!! Hes just a bitter bear

Nothing but sour grapes. I can understand being pissed and all, but dude, ripping the people who were backing you from the beginning? Stupid. If Pro Wrestling freakin' LEGENDS are telling you about the craft, and you think they're wrong, somethings wrong upstairs. Ya lost son; get over yourself. I personally liked Jeremiah Riggs in Tough Enough, but he just comes off as bitter.

When I read this I was taken back by the indephth knowledge of pro wrestling riggs had and it made me realise scsa has been blowing smoke up my assets all these years. And he don't know jack about someone being a good wrestler. And lets not get started on demott, who's been training for what like 15 years if not more. Riggs is just a worthless dick bag who needs to stop whinning about not getting a WWE contract, there's always tna I hear they let just about anyone work there lol.

The dude obviously has no respect for the business, he just wants to be famous. After numerous reality shows, I would think he would be content, but I guess not. For those not aware, he was on "Daisy of Love" on VH1, "I love Money" on VH1, and Tough Enough on USA. The guy has been exposed to the public, so no wonder why he has TV personality, he's already been on tv for years

He does raise some good points. It sucks that they want a certain type of talent, and he did not fit what they are looking for. Bill acting like he was too good to talk to him also is upsetting. I hated him on Tough Enough already but that story shows what a jerk he really is. I hope that Jeremiah finds somewhere else to bring his skills and improve, as he deserved a shot in WWE at the very least in their developmental area.

Overall, I'd say he does have some points about some issues. At the same time though, he comes across sounding like yet another guy that believes himself to be far better than he actually is. From what we saw on Tough Enough, Jeremiah has a lot of heart and passion. At the same time though, he was sloppy and had no regard for physical safety. Just because a wrestler doesn't have common sense enough to have an inkling of fear and concern for himself and whoever he might be facing off against doesn't make that wrestler superior. Ultimately, it makes him a liability. He also comes across as someone that's already developed a massive ego and sees himself as a star despite the fact that he's paid no dues and doesn't really sound like he believes that he should.

Riggs would do good by talking to Mick Foley. Riggs reminds me a lot of a young Mick Foley, and I think if he were given a WWE contract he'd have a very similar career so long as he learned to treat his opponents with respect and reigned in his attitude problem.

Problem is, as he is now he's more like a combo of Mick Foley & Bill Goldberg. He's green, stiff and careless, just like Goldberg was when he broke into the business, but he's also hardcore, doesn't give a shit about his own safety and wrestles like he has everything to prove much like Foley always did. You put the two together and he's just plain dangerous to himself and everyone around him.

That said, I don't doubt everything else he says is true.

I don't read nearly as much of an attitude or sense of entitlement into his comments as several of you seem to. Personally, I think Jeremiah (and Luke as well) has every right to complain. Luke should have won TE and Jeremiah should have been in the final 2. Andy did not deserve that spot. Hell, if Martin hadn't been injured, Andy wouldn't even have deserved final 3. I think it's a poor move on WWE's spot to not give Jeremiah a developmental deal. Yeah, he needs a lot of polishing, but for someone as new to the business as he is, he's shown amazing promise. And I'm sorry, but I agree with him about the cookie cutter mentality in WWE developmental. They need interesting and unique personalities and Jeremiah is definitely that.

I didn't really watch Tough Enough so I'm honestly not even sure who Jeremiah is. The name is familiar but I can't put a face to it, and I don't particularly care enough to look it up. But, this is a pretty stupid decision on his part. Getting rejected by the WWE sucks, I'm sure. But burning all your bridges with a meaningless, spiteful rant? Yeah, that's not the best career move. His best hope was to get some indy booking, get some experience, work hard, and keep applying to FCW. Now that this is out there? Good luck on that. I doubt the WWE will want anything to do with some rookie who goes off on a rant like this. I suppose his best hope is to get big in an indy promotion or something. I would say TNA, but honestly, people in TNA who didn't also work in the WWE make shit, so why bother. Becoming the next Kenny King is about all this guy can hope for, after this idiocy.

first of all, he wasn't completely untrained before Tough Enough. had been training with Dutch Mantell.

what he had to say about FCW, whether true or not, his interview strikes me as a bitch fit reaction to not being hired due to his attitude

a side note to all this, on twitter Matt Cross & Martin had discussed the article, then Seth Rollins(Tyler Black) had replied saying that while he(Jeremiah) was at FCW he was about 10 words away from getting his ass kicked

I don't read nearly as much of an attitude or sense of entitlement into his comments as several of you seem to. Personally, I think Jeremiah (and Luke as well) has every right to complain. Luke should have won TE and Jeremiah should have been in the final 2. Andy did not deserve that spot. Hell, if Martin hadn't been injured, Andy wouldn't even have deserved final 3. I think it's a poor move on WWE's spot to not give Jeremiah a developmental deal. Yeah, he needs a lot of polishing, but for someone as new to the business as he is, he's shown amazing promise. And I'm sorry, but I agree with him about the cookie cutter mentality in WWE developmental. They need interesting and unique personalities and Jeremiah is definitely that.

the thing is what you state your opinion on isnt what the trainers stated theirs on...remember each week they only aired 1 hour out of the entire week...

From what I know about the farm league, which isn't much, they never tell you what they are looking for and it's all a roll of the dice. I would guess they do this so that they won't create a system of ass kissing clones, which would naturally happen in such a boxed in system. So, from what I have heard, they have taken steps to make sure that talent developement does not become what he claims it has become. I will say this though... In such a system any smart person who has respect for the business would simply listen to the legandary veterans and do what they tell you. You may not know what they are looking for but they do, and the fact that they invited you in the first place says a lot.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Riggs seems to be the type of guy for whom physical stuff usually comes easily. When it doesn't, he gets frustrated and lashes out, particularly when he has to get by a human obstacle who has the final yes or no say in the matter.

I suppose I can see his point. He is a guy with a difference and it's very easy to blame his inability to get signed on a kind of "cookie-cutter" mentality as far as what guys the company will accept and which ones they wont. However, the company makes good points as well. Riggs is dangerous in the ring through his inexperience. I think that FCW made a mistake in not signing him given that Riggs seems coachable enough and time and experience could have done the rest, but the bottom line is he didn't get signed and that's the way it is.

One last thought is that this might be a political move. Perhaps he believes that, if FCW won't take him then maybe TNA's people will. Bad mouthing the WWE and its affiliates may be his way of trying to politic TNA into noticing and signing him.

Looks like Luke was right when he said Jeremiah was the arrogant one out of the bunch. He definitely does have an attitude problem and doesn't have passion for the business; which is alright, at least he's being honest. I had always questioned his passion. I think he's always been set on doing MMA over anything else. However arrogant and cocky he may come off, though, damn that was an entertaining read, LOL.

Isn't Triple H wanting to revamp the developmental promotions? Like have several well ran promotions complete with a scouting department? So maybe he'll get his chance. However, a reckless, mouthy guy isn't going to go anywhere. You shut the fuck up your first few years in the business. You don't allow yourself to be treated as less than a man, coz then they'll walk all over you; but you don't mouth off.

Wow, everyone bashing Riggs for voicing his opinion. Who cares if he has been on TV. So has the Miz, so has Otunga, so has Johnny Fairplay, so has the new guy TNA signed.

Riggs had loads of potential but I'm sure they dropped him because of either his accent or his false teeth.

If you don't look or sound good, then WWE doesn't want you.

I don't want to bash WWE. I love the WWE but to purposely take someone with NO experience at all, put him on TV, let the world watch him learn the ropes, make it to the final 3, then tell him go to FCW or whatever it's called just to fucking tell him no?

Wouldn't you be pissed if you jumped through all them hoops only to be told no.

Riggs should go back to MMA and show WWE what they lost.

And to think, they gave Ariane Andrew, someone who knew NOTHING about wrestling, eliminated on the first episode a contract over Riggs. Nice one WWE.

And they signed Christina because she's Alicia Fox' sister. bunch of bull

Riggs had loads of potential but I'm sure they dropped him because of either his accent or his false teeth.

If you don't look or sound good, then WWE doesn't want you.

Really, Jerry, really? What about Mick Foley and all his missing teeth? What about Great Khali and his accent? What about Yokozuna?

What about the f**king Bushwhackers?

Riggs is definitely easier to understand than Luke & Butch and every bit as pretty too. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back