Top 10 Wrestlemania matches of the decade

Checkmate

.you.lose.
Ok, so Wrestlemania 26 is this Sunday, and I’m in the Wrestlemania mood. The top 10 list for best or favorite Wrestlemania matches has already been done, so I’m going to twist that topic a bit to spit out something new. I can't broaden the category, so let's get more specific.

With 2009 in the yearbooks, and 2010 in full bloom, we have a new decade on our hands. So, out with the old and in with the new, right? Not just yet. Here, I’m looking for your favorite 10 Wrestlemania matches from the past decade. That spans from Wrestlemania 16 (2000) through Wrestlemania 25 (2009). You can pick them for whatever reason, one from each, or as many from one as you wish. Just have a good reason why.

Again, I’m looking for everything: build up, in ring work, lasting effects, personal experience, anything that makes a top 10 list worthwhile.

Here is mine (for the sake of diversity, I tried to hit as many different Wrestlemania’s as possible):

10. Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 24: Career Threatening Match for Ric Flair)

This match is perhaps the most sentimental of this list. It isn’t the most technical, nor does it have the extreme spots. However, it was about the end of an era in the WWE. Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair put on a simple yet emotional show in 2008, which I will never forget. The storyline build was predictable, yet left many wishing for one more win for the Nature Boy. Afterwards, at both the event and the following RAW, the sendoff for Flair was magnificent. I don’t wish to argue about the “false” retirements in wrestling, but this was well done regardless.

9. Batista vs The Undertaker (Wrestlemania 23: World Heavyweight Championship)

This was another match that wasn’t last on the card, yet managed to steal enough of the spotlight to shine. Batista was perhaps the most dominant World Champion of the decade at this time. The Undertaker finally won the Royal Rumble, and got to challenge for the title at Wrestlemania, something he hadn’t done in 10 years. In 2007, this match was perhaps my favorite on the card. Taker proved he could get a good match out of almost anyone, and Batista really looked like a main event player. The “streak” vs the title was incredibly well built up, with various double crosses and such, and the year long rivalry between the two told an amazing story.

8. Steve Austin vs The Rock (Wrestlemania 19: The Third Act)

Honestly, I didn’t like this match until about the third time I watched it, which was also after I watched the Mania of Wrestlemania special that told all the behind the scenes drama. However, now it is forever etched in my memory. The third, and final, installment of the Stone Cold vs The Rock Wrestlemania rivalry told an amazing story. Austin just came back, yet was on his way out. The Rock was the hottest heel in the business, coming off a win over Hulk Hogan. However, Austin hadn’t lost to the Rock until this night. The match itself was pretty basic, and some would say littered with finishers. But this is what really sold it to me. Both guys NEEDED to keep the other guy down, and neither wanted to quit. Finally, the Rock was able to get the win after three Rock Bottoms, and the rest is history.

7. Chris Benoit vs Shawn Michaels vs Triple H (Wrestlemania 20: Triple Threat for the World Heavyweight Championship)

This was Benoit’s chance to win the big one. He won the Royal Rumble, and had all the momentum in the world. Michaels wanted nothing more than to beat Triple H one more time. The Game, just wanted to get out of Madison Square Garden with the gold. The match itself was brilliant, executed to the full capabilities of these three men. However, it was Benoit’s night, something that I wish I could say again, and the celebration that ensued with Eddie Guerrero was perhaps the most emotional moment of the decade.

6. Hulk Hogan vs The Rock (Wrestlemania 18: Past vs Present, Icon vs Icon)

First of all, the hype for this match was incredible. If you don’t believe me, go watch the promo video. One thing that is always asked online is: “Who is the best/better?” Rarely do we ever get these answers. This match actually happened. Sure, Hogan was Hollywood. Sure, he was “old”. Yet, the pure adrenaline in the Sky Dome on that night was nothing short of epic. The match was good, serving its purpose and forcefully turning Hogan face again. The aftermath saw the return of the Red and Yellow, and one of the greatest Smackdown moments in history.

5. Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker (Wrestlemania 25: Mr. Wrestlemania vs The Streak)

Say what you wish. Overrated, botches, finishers, I get it. But I also get that this match stole the show. How often do you get two 40+ year-old guys going at it at Wrestlemania, and expect a classic? Not often at all, but the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels delivered. The match was a good half hour, yet didn’t feel long. The trade-offs, finishers, signatures, spots, and false finishes were well worth the watch. Add to this that the build up was incredible, with Michaels getting the better of Taker for months. In actuality, you could date this rivalry back to 2007, when Taker eliminated Michaels in the Royal Rumble. Now, there is a sequel. This was the best of Wrestlemania 25, which isn’t a huge feat, but makes the top 5 of my list.

4. Edge and Christian vs The Dudley Boys vs The Hardy Boyz (Wrestlemania 16: WWE Tag Team Championship Triangle Ladder Match)

I actually wasn’t watching wrestling at this time (I started later in 2000). However, this was one of my favorite matches ever since I saw it on VHS. In short, this was one of the best spot-fests of all time. It really set the pace for TLC, and brought Tag Team wrestling into a huge spotlight. The dive by Jeff Hardy was the big spot in the match, which has been replayed for years. These three teams really broke out in this matchup, which has lead to success for most of them (all 6 are still employed in the WWE or TNA). Edge and Christian won here, but this would not be the last time all these guys would be in the ring together.

3. Steve Austin vs The Rock (Wrestlemania 17: WWE Championship, Take 2)

Wrestlemania 17 will always hold a special place in my heart. It was the first Wrestlemania I watched live, and really was a solid card from start to finish. To this day, I’d gladly watch it over and over without getting bored. The main event of the evening was one reason why. In the biggest collision since Hogan vs Warrior, The Rock and Stone Cold beat the hell out of each other. From the promo package to the added No DQ stipulation all the way to the final bell, the crowd was ridiculously into the match, and so was I. This was their second meeting at Wrestlemania, in the main event, for the title, and easily surpassed the first. The McMahon interference and the Stone Cold heel turn was unexpected, but played into future stories for the rest of the year.

2. Edge and Christian vs The Dudley Boys vs The Hardy Boyz (Wrestlemania 17: WWE Tag Team Championship TLC II)

Again, Wrestlemania 17 finds its way onto my list. Again, these three teams found their way together at Wrestlemania. Again, they stole the show. TLC II was the sequel to the original TLC, taking place the Summerslam before. Somehow, it succeeded expectations yet again. Jeff took another massive ladder dive. Lita, Spike Dudley, and Rhyno all interfered. The violence was amazingly choreographed. And through all this, Edge and Christian won again. I said it for the previous match from these guys, and I’ll say it again. These matches really showcased the capabilities of tag teams in the WWE, as well as the individual talents of each of these men. I attribute some of the longevity and popularity of some of them (especially, but not limited to, Edge) to these matches. Add to all this that it was insanely entertaining, and you have my #2.

1. Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels (Wrestlemania 21: 1996 legends meet in Hollywood)

Ok, so thus far my list has had spot-fests, sentimental favorites, and big name dream matches. This one is both a technical masterpiece and a dream match, and is indefinitely my #1 pick. Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle was the modern day Savage vs Steamboat. The wrestling was amazing, the story was well written, and the charisma radiating from these guys was by far the best that either could put out. Simply put, this was the 1996 Gold Medalist vs the 1996 Ironman, with the Medalist pulling out a narrow victory. These two then went on to have two more great matches, but the Wrestlemania feel was the solidifying factor that put this one over the top.

There you have my top 10 Wrestlemania matches of the decade. Now, I’m looking for yours. Go!

Not bad man, not bad. Here's mine. Note, I am a huge HBK fan , so I may seem a tad biased, but the man was amazing at wrestlemania.

10. Triangle Ladder Match (Wrestlemania 16)
-By god this match was amazing. Big spot after big spot. It also launched the greatest tag-team fued in WWE history.

9. Rock vs Hogan (Wrestlemania 18)
-The crowd is what made this match amazing. This should have been the main event at Wrestlemania 18, because after this match, the crowd didnt seem to give a shit. (kinda similar to Wrestlemania 25 with HBK and Taker)

8. Booker T vs Triple H (Wrestlemania 19)
-For some odd reason, I really like this match. Booker was in top form here and the Game stepped it up to make Booker look like the champion he SHOULD'VE been that night.

At this point in the list, these matches are pretty much interchangable

7. The Rock vs Stone Cold (Wrestlemania 17)
-This match had everything. No DQ, two of the greatest of the attitude era and possibly ever. and the BEST heel turn ever, i'm sorry but nobody saw that coming.

6. Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle (Wrestlemania 21)
-Oh. My. God. This match was absolutely flawless. You have two of the greatest atheletes in WWE history going at it. This match was a wrestling clinic, counters to everything, great mat wrestling, table spot, just everything that a Wrestlemania match needs to be amazing.

5. TLC 2 (Wrestlemania 17)
-This match was really hyped and it still delivered. This match is one of the greatest ladder matches in WWE history and just brutal. Jeff Hardy getting speared off of a 16 foot ladder is just amazing.

4. HBK vs Chris Benoit vs Triple H (Wrestlemania 20)
-This match has been called the greatest Wrestlemania main event in WWE history, and i'm one to agree with that. This was just amazing from start to finish, you have two sure fire hall of famers, and one who SHOULD be in, regardless of what he did on that tragic day. (anyone who wants to discuss that, message me). The ending was very well done and the right man won.

3. Edge vs Undertaker (Wrestlemania 24)
-This match was spectacular. It did start a little slow, but it picked up in a big hurry and did not dissapoint. There were a ton of false finishes and unique counters, plus I really like Edge as a champion. And the finish was very well done.

2. Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker part 1 (Wrestlemania 25)
-This match is one of the best matches bell to bell i've ever seen. This match WAS the only reason to watch Wrestlemania 25, and it SHOULD'VE been the main event. This match had everything you could ask for from two guys in their mid 40's. It had false finishes, wicked dives (takers almost killed him) and sooo many counters. Shawn kicked out of a Tombstone piledriver and for the first time since the American Badass gimmick, he showed desperation and emotion.

1. Shawn Michaels vs Undertaker part 2 (Wrestlemania 26)
-This and my second choice are virtually a tie, but this match has the sentimental feeling to it because of the stipulations. The first time these two met, nobody knew what to expect, this time around, everyone knew what to expect and these two still went out and delivered a perfect match. I think everyone knew Shawn was retiring, but much like the Flair match 2 years earlier, it didn't hurt the match. This time around, it takes Taker 3 Tombstones to beat Shawn, and Shawn once again proves why he is Mr. Wrestlemania. The ending to that match was perfectly done, Shawn knew he was beat but Shawn being Shawn was defient to the end. And the last Tombstone by taker was WICKED, I swear to god the entire ring shook from that.

So there ya have it, my list of the top ten Wrestlemania matches of the decade. Again, It might be a little HBK heavy, but he was one of the best and had some of the greatest matches there.

10) WrestleMania 22 – Mick Foley vs Edge: Easily the most hardcore match in WrestleMania history. This match is the closest that Foley is going to get to having a WrestleMania moment of his own. This show-stealing match also gave Edge that little push he needed to be the staple in the main event scene that he is now.

9)WrestleMania 18 - Hulk Hogan vs The Rock: During this Battle of the Icons, the crowd gets more into this match than maybe any in history, elevating the level of performance by both men and turning this one into an instant classic. This match shattered expectations and turned out to be much better than it looked to be on paper. Hogan showed more in this match, than he had in years. The Rock takes the bumps and sells everything like this was 80's Hogan attacking him and really adds to the unpredictability of the match.

8) WrestleMania 24 –Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels: There has never been a more emotional match to grace the squared circle than this one. Arguably the best to have ever stepped into the ring versus the best in the business at the time. “I’m sorry. I love you.”

7) WrestleMania 19 - Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho: Growing up Chris Jericho wanted to be the next Shawn Michaels. Then he decided he was going to be better that HBK, and be the first Chris Jericho. This match would determine who was the better talent inside the ring.

6) WrestleMania 19 - Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesner: Both professional wrestlers were well known for their very successful background in amateur wrestling. This match was filled with counters, reversals and counter reversals keeping everyone on their toes.

5) WrestleMania 21 - Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels: A dream match that many hoped to witness for years featuring two of the best wrestlers to ever step foor in the ring. The two technicians give fans everything, from submission holds to high-flying action to an breathtaking ending that saw both men receive standing ovations.

4) WrestleMania 17 - Edge & Christian vs The Hardy Boyz vs The Dudley Boyz: The second TLC match for this trio of teams turned out to be the best as this bout includes some of the most memorable bumps wrestling fans have ever witnessed. The entire match ended up being an entire 'Holy Shit' moment.

3) WrestleMania 20 - Chris Benoit vs HHH vs Shawn Michaels: The first triple threat match main even match in WrestleMania history was a hard-hitting back and forth match from bell to bell.

2) WrestleMania 17 - Steve Austin vs The Rock: Steel chairs, tables, the ring bell, the steel post, more steel chairs. This is one brutal and bloody battle between the two icons and the best match between the two long time rivals. Each pin attempt had the crowd thinking it would be the end of the match. The actual end of the match may be one of the biggest shockers in wrestling.

1) WrestleMania 25 - Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker: The Undertaker's WrestleMania streak is one of the most well known feats in wrestling. Shawn Michales has seemingly done everything at the biggest wrestling PPVs. If anyone had a legitimate chance of putting the streat to rest, it was Mr. WrestleMania. Easily my favorite match of all time.

Honorable Mentions:
WrestleMania 16 – Edge & Christian vs The Hardy Boyz vs The Dudley Boyz
WrestleMania 23 – The Undertaker vs Batista
WrestleMania 18 – The Undertaker vs Ric Flair

10. ECW Originals vs New Breed WM 23 very cool concept. Too bad all of them are gone from WWE w/exception of Punk.

9. Mick Foley vs Edge (w/Lita) Hardcore Match WM 22- Spectacular spots, the flaming tables, tacks, everything about this was super, event he story leading up to it.

8. TLC 1 WM 16 Edge and Christian- Dudleyz-Hardyz= Had everything you could want. Glad E&C got the belts. :worship:

7. TLC2 WM 17- same as above, glad it happened again.

6. Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels WM 19- classic :p

5. Christian (w/Trish) vs Chris Jericho WM 20- great match, no one saw the twist at the end with the run in and the ending. Turned out Great. :wtf:

4. Chris Benoit vs HHH vs HBK WM 20- SUPERB match. Beautiful ending.

3. HBK vs Flair career threatening match WM 24- totally tear filled match, tons of Hi-flying spots, and the saddest when HBK mouthed 'I love you.' :(

2. HBK vs Undertaker WM 25 - THE match of the night. Lots of the near falls, greatest the night.

1. HBK vs Undertaker Streak vs Career- What can I say? You don't want either to lose, its like choosing between your children. Everyone in the bar where I was at was screaming in suspense. It was totally a silent moment when the 3 count hit and HBK was down... :icon_sad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back