TNA (Total Nonstop Action) = TGB (Total Gruesome Brutality)

dynamic_resize

Ok, I get it. TNA wants their format to continue to evolve. They need to get an edge on the WWE and produce a product that they cannot provide the audience.

At first, they pushed the in-ring action to be superior to the WWE and they were extremely successful (and still are on many occasions).

Next, they pushed the envelope with on-screen sexuality, racy storylines and borderline-offensive language to cater to the male demographic. This was a smart play since the majority of TNA wrestling fans are men that are fans of the direction of Spike TV programming.

But now, it appears as if TNA is digging back 15 years ago to rekindle the short-term magic created by ECW as we witness the rebirth of brutal, gruesome, hardcore wrestling. I'm not so sure about this decision. During the time when ECW, WCW, and the Attitude-Era WWE were at their peaks, television was very different. The late 90's audiences craved brutality on television. It seems as if this craving has died over time. Now TNA wishes to capitalize on it and try to bring back this format of professional wrestling.

I think that this is a bad idea. With the one-dimensional direction of Spike TV, only a male-driven audience is going to witness this rebirth. I honestly feel that the brutality of TNA's action, as of late, is going to turn off more viewers than gain them. But, that's just one man's opinion; namely my own.

How does everyone else view it? Does anyone agree with me? Disagree? If so, I want to hear good explanations. Please don't spam in here.

[/CENTER]

I also think it's a bad idea as well there's never really been a mainstream fan base for this style. ECW never had a large national fan base they had a very loyal but small fan base. So that's why I don't get why TNA is putting so much effort in EV2.

It may have somewhat worked briefly purely for nostalgia reasons in my opinion. However I think it's already going down hill, and this weeks ratings are supporting that .They went up last week and back down slightly this week, and it was suppose to be a free PPV type show.

The general wrestling fan isn't into the ultra violent style anymore. Many people are but not enough to build the company around. People can complain about WWE going PG, but they triple TNA's ratings. They tried everything else. Maybe next they'll go PG.

Considering how often we saw Steve Austin bleed, Mankind jump off and crash into stuff, The Rock bleed, TLC matches and all that Attitude stuff, I beg to differ on the "blood and guts does not draw" debate. However, you can't have it every day. TNA doesn't do it every day. However given their current angles, it seems fit. I see no problem with the blood. I rather liked how RVD was laid out. At least we know Janice was in fact "used" at some point and wasn't a totally pointless novelty to bash slabs of beef with.

It's something it has over WWE. And for now, it's been working. Why not show what we have over them? We are the alternative after all.

I definitely don't see it as a long term direction, and I don't think TNA does either. We really haven't seen this intense level of violence in TNA recently, but I think it goes perfectly with the EV 2.0 deal and Abyss going apeshit on everyone with Janice. And I gotta agree with Riaku, that shit definitely does draw, hello Attitude Era?

I think it was Kurt on ReACTION who said that even though EV 2 are the good guys here, with all the brutal violence happening since they showed up, it makes you wonder, are they responsible? So I think this short term direction is perfect right now, and it fits right in with the current storylines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back