TNA Orlando, Round 2, Match 2: #16 CM Punk vs. #17 William Regal

Punk vs. Regal

• CM

• Blue Blood

Results are only viewable after voting.
Say what you will about CM Punk, but he's a Triple Crown World champion (ROH, ECW, and WHC), now, that depends on what the standing definition of World Champion is today. CM Punk has been entrusted to be the guy in a company or on a brand, or whatever on three seperate occassions. Punks "horrid" World Title run had him retain the title against JBL and Batista.

Yet it was last year that he won his biggest event of his entire career in the KOTR. He did nothing of note in WCW and his IC reigns are forgettable in WWE. What is remembered however was him being the king and his time sitting on a throne before being the worst IC Champion in a good while. His physical prime was in WCW, when there was no way at all he would be booked over Punk. Now he could at least have a prayer at it, but in WCW, during his prime, where he was in the mid card forever, not a chance.

Nothing of note? Are you kidding?

Did you watch WCW from 1993 - 1998? Did you see his reigns as Television Champ. They were significantly better than Punk's IC Title reigns, with weekly title defenses on WCW Saturday Night and at PPV's. Regal carried feuds with other skilled wrestlers, often carrying their matches. And he did not lose very often. He was like Ted Dibiase, but with legit gold.

And are you seriously brining booking into this match? If that's the case, the let's shut the whole thing down and award the tournament to Triple H. In a wrestling match with no "booking implications" by WCW or WWE brass, mid-90's Steven Regal goes over late-00's CM Punk.

Say what you will about CM Punk, but he's a Triple Crown World champion (ROH, ECW, and WHC), now, that depends on what the standing definition of World Champion is today. CM Punk has been entrusted to be the guy in a company or on a brand, or whatever on three seperate occassions. Punks "horrid" World Title run had him retain the title against JBL and Batista.

I am sorry, I didn't realize the ROH Title now comprised a "Triple Crown." Let's face it, ROH is a good indy fed, but it's the distant #3 promotion in the US. It's well behind where ECW was in the late 90's.

In the mid-90's the WCW Television Title was the equivalent of today's WWE United States or TNA's X-Division titles, and Regal dominated it for half the decade. Sure, it's a mid-card belt, but Regal worked magic with it. Many have said that Regal was the one who legitimized that championship, whereas the general consensus of Punk's first WHC Reign was that it was transitional and average at best.

Gotta disagree with you there. The WCW TV belt was never anything more then what the WWE European championship became. It was simply a belt meant to get you to the US title, and get you on TV once a week (as it was supposed to have been defended on every TV Show, or that's how the legend went). Saying it's a mid card title is pushing it, in my opinion, as that clearly was the US championship. You won the WCW TV championship in hopes to get to the US Championship, in hopes to getting into the WCW Title picture.

Whoever said that Punk would be averse to using heel tactics doesn't remember his heel tactics in ROH, which many people would consider his prime. His moveset was arguably more lethal back then as well. I cannot see regal beating punk, despite the fact that punk is booked weakly in wwe. this is TNA, and i think he would get the win over regal

Larry Nabisco
Renegade
Prince Iaukea
Alex Wright
Disco Inferno
Stevie Ray

Those are some of the illustrious wrestlers to hold the TV Title during that time frame. Now you may say that Regal was the best wrestler in that division, but what does that really mean? All it means to me is that he wasn't trusted enough to put up for the US Title. He's been a career midcarder and often times lower midcarder. How can you possibly compare that to someone who has won the world title, had a more interesting mid card title reign, and done it in 1/4 of the time?

Gotta disagree with you there. The WCW TV belt was never anything more then what the WWE European championship became. It was simply a belt meant to get you to the US title, and get you on TV once a week (as it was supposed to have been defended on every TV Show, or that's how the legend went). Saying it's a mid card title is pushing it, in my opinion, as that clearly was the US championship. You won the WCW TV championship in hopes to get to the US Championship, in hopes to getting into the WCW Title picture.

Wait, wait, and Punk's ROH Title is what exactly?

Here's my point - loads of guys can be one-time wonders and win a major title. I don't think Punk will be that when the book on his career is closed, but as of right now, that's what he's dealing with.

Regal in the 90's in WCW was a picture of consistency. He was a mid-card heel who outwrestled and carried a variety of opponents. I remember HATING Regal because he always found a way to win. I got so frustrated when my favorite face was starting to mount an attack, only to have Regal press his foot atop his opponents kneecap and bring him back to the mat.

I remember thinking that the European Uppercut was stronger than a punch of a kick because of the way Regal sold the impact. It was like a Ric Flair or Benoit knife edge chop, but without the sound to make it really cool.

[youtube]4kasCiH3GiM[/youtube]

And I've yet to hear ANYONE dispute my FACT that Regal trained Punk, and thus Regal knows Punk FAR BETTER than Punk knows Regal.

Here's my point - loads of guys can be one-time wonders and win a major title.
I'd rather be a one-time wonder than a no-time wonder. Regal's great. I definitely like him more, but if I had to choose who's career I'd rather have I'd take the title reign over anything Regal has ever done.

And I've yet to hear ANYONE dispute my FACT that Regal trained Punk, and thus Regal knows Punk FAR BETTER than Punk knows Regal.
Those that can do, those that can't teach. ;)

sadly, cm punk would win this bout. punk is a former world champion, and regal has yet to accomplish that feat. cm punk wins this bout with a lucky roll up pin after being smacked and whipped completely by regal.

Larry Nabisco
Renegade
Prince Iaukea
Alex Wright
Disco Inferno
Stevie Ray

Those are some of the illustrious wrestlers to hold the TV Title during that time frame. Now you may say that Regal was the best wrestler in that division, but what does that really mean? All it means to me is that he wasn't trusted enough to put up for the US Title. He's been a career midcarder and often times lower midcarder. How can you possibly compare that to someone who has won the world title, had a more interesting mid card title reign, and done it in 1/4 of the time?

Figures you'd leave out Arn Anderson, Davey Boy Smith, Jean-Paul Lesvesque (who, by the way, was mentored by Regal in WCW, and went on to become someone quasi-talented), Diamond Dallas Page (future WCW World Champion), Lex Luger (future WCW World Champion), and Ultimo Dragon.

A very cowardly move, KB. It's one thing to be wrong, but to omit so many names because it hurts your case?

It also bears mentioning that Regal defeated Edge for his first Intercontinental Title. Edge went on to be decent, no? KB, do you know who the other contenders / champions were around that time? Christian, Test, Eddie Guerrero, Rob Van Dam, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Kane. I assume you've heard of those names?

Finally, KB, your "1/4 of the time" claim. Totally apples to oranges. Regal did what he did in WCW at a time when there were maybe 2 TV shows per week and a PPV once every 4 months. Punk gets live TV each week and a PPV every month.

First of all, when did Bulldog or Levesque hold the TV Title? That's beside the point though.

I know I left some names off but that was the point. Look at those names you listed off, and some you didn't. Luger, Booker T, Benoit, Page. All four of them went on to win the US and World Titles. Regal.......got released. Twice. He failed in WCW and wasn't much better in WWE. He's a great wrestler, but he's never accomplished anything substantial. The WCW TV Title was a stepping stone to bigger things, but Regal never got any higher up than that in WCW.

As for the time thing, doesn't work. WCW was expanding their schedule when was getting his main tv push. He faded away in the NWO story because he didn't stand out as anything special. He's great in the ring, but he simply doesn't get the reaction that he needs.

Dude, Ace Steel trained CM Punk, lol. Just because Regal offers advice to Punk after viewing his matches doesn't mean he "trains" him. And since you are using "training" in a kayfabe manner anyway, when the hell has it been said on TV that Regal has trained Punk? Never, which means, in kayfabe, Regal has never even talked to Punk outside of their promos against one another.

Also, you can talk about Punk having a bad World Title run all you want, but to bring up the WCW TV Title and WWE Tag Titles in the same argument? Come on, man. The WCW TV Title never meant anything. And the tag titles in WWE haven't meant jack shit since 2000. Whereas, Punk won the World Title. No matter how he did it or how the reign went, he won the World fucking Championship in WWE. That's a HUGE feat and he's most likely going to reach it again in the future. Regal hasn't been World Champ in any promotion. And it's because he's not the quality wrestler Punk is. He might be the quality worker of douchebag former World Champs like Batista, but what separates it is that Punk won his title off of talent and hard work, whereas ***** like Batista won his for being muscle-bound freaks. If Regal had the talent and integrity Punk had (or the muscles of Batista, I must admit), then he would’ve been a World Champ by now.

Clearly we're arguing a losing case here but as pointed out

Past-His Best Regal beat Punk last year, in the same year Punk won the world title. Regal in his early days was far superior to the Regal was have now and Punk would stand no chance. Winning the title doesn't mean shit, Mr Perfect never won the WWE title, would you vote Punk over him too? Balls you would!

Regal beat Punk after Punk had a much harder night leading into that match. It's a moot point.

Punk is a star. Regal isn't. Punk would never be booked to straight up lose to Regal in any company. Since it's a kayfabe tourny, the discussion should really be focused on that point.

Is that the same Punk who got booked to lose to Kane last night? And who, if I remember correctly, lost clean to Miz not that long ago? :p Yeah he wouldn't lose to the 2-time intercontinental champion and current King of the Ring, oh wait..

Do you want Regal to get compared to Kane? I'm almost certain that'd be a loss for Regal too. :D

Miz is a wildcard and possibly a future main eventer, so I don't see your point.

None of that makes a case for Regal going over Punk in any situation where Punk is as well rested as Regal.

Regal has feuded with the likes of Edge, RVD, Jericho, Finley, Austin, & Benoit among others in his time in WWE, for a guy who hasn't accmplish shit in his career he sure has fueded with an awful lot of big names, not to mention the guy is technically sound, which means he is more than capable of going move for move with Punk, the differance maker in this match would be the Power of the Punch, Regal would somehow find a way to distract the ref, pull the brass knucks out of his trunks and WHAM! Punks out, Regal hides the Brass Knucks and pins the unconscious indy success story for the win

William Regal is a good wrestler. He is solid in the ring and does a great job putting people over and making them look good. However, I'm not sure I could pin point the prime of his career. He's always been solid, but he's mid card for life.

CM Punk, on the other hand was damn near unstoppable in ROH. The work he did for that company was just brilliant, especially during his time as a heel. Since coming to the WWE, Punk has captured nearly every title in the company. His list of accomplishments speak for themself.

Winner: CM Punk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back