• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA is a mind boggling failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
Taken from Y2Jake in another thread.

TNA touts its ratings to be that of or around ECW. Ok, fine.

Wait, what? Let me see here

TNA

Sting
Kurt Angle
Mick Foley
Booker T
Scott Steiner
Kevin Nash
Dudley Boyz

ECW

Christan
Finlay
Jack Swagger
Mark Henry
uh...Ricky Ortiz?

Anyone else see something incredibly wrong? TNA should smash the bejeezus out of ECW. What the FUCK is going on down there in Orlando? I dont watch the programming. Well becuase its shit, the 10 minutes of it that ive seen. So, I am very confused as to what the deal is. They dont even tour. they are in the fucking impact zone. How, with those guys, some of them touted to be all time greats of this sport, can they not be selling out arenas like WWE?

If the booking THAT fucking bad? Is the mere name value of WWE THAT damn much of a draw? What the fucking shit is going on in TNA?

please, explain these things to an outsider. To me, to have that roster and only be putting up these numbers, TNA seems to be a colossal fucking failure. let know if it is or isnt...and why...

Taken from Y2Jake in another thread.

TNA touts its ratings to be that of or around ECW. Ok, fine.

Wait, what? Let me see here

TNA

Sting
Kurt Angle
Mick Foley
Booker T
Scott Steiner
Kevin Nash
Dudley Boyz

ECW

Christan
Finlay
Jack Swagger
Mark Henry
uh...Ricky Ortiz?

Anyone else see something incredibly wrong? TNA should smash the bejeezus out of ECW. What the FUCK is going on down there in Orlando? I dont watch the programming. Well becuase its shit, the 10 minutes of it that ive seen. So, I am very confused as to what the deal is. They dont even tour. they are in the fucking impact zone. How, with those guys, some of them touted to be all time greats of this sport, can they not be selling out arenas like WWE?

If the booking THAT fucking bad? Is the mere name value of WWE THAT damn much of a draw? What the fucking shit is going on in TNA?

please, explain these things to an outsider. To me, to have that roster and only be putting up these numbers, TNA seems to be a colossal fucking failure. let know if it is or isnt...and why...

You're forgetting the main ingredient for a successful promotion is a loyal fan base, and believe me, the WWE has that. I like to call them the WWE Lemmings, they are the ones that believe Vince McMahon created wrestling, that the WWE is the only organization that "creates Superstars" that only the WWE has great angles, that if a wrestler works for the WWE, he's great, if he leaves for another promotion, he's washed up, and that if it's not WWE, it has to be shit. These people have grown up watching WWE and bought all the propaganda that was fed to them year after year,they became so loyal to the brand that reality didn't matter anymore. Even if the WWE produced total and utter shit, they are the ones that still praise it, "Yeah, it was shit, but did you see the consistency ? Did you notice the bits of corn in it ?" You get get my point. So ECW has the WWE brand, and TNA still beat it in ratings, I'd call that a miracle and not a failure.

Is that really all? I dont know, I guess its just totally hard for me to accept that. I mean WCW did well for all those years, right? It CANT just be people saying "eh its not WWE, I dont like it..." I mean. they HAVE a host of WWE guys. Big name WWE guys. Shit, Mick Foley was a huge star during an immensely popular period of wrestling.

I refuse to belive people are that simple. There just has to be more to it. Its not like they are even on during competing times. So they could easily share the market. People just plain ol dont like TNA. What the fuck.

i agree. wwe has over 20+ years on TNA. so it's evidant that the fan base will be with the wwe. so far TNA hasnt taken a dive in ratings, so something must be going on. so far the ratings have been steady, and a few times have beaten ECW.

Lets be honest, the WWE is serving up a bunch of crap alot of the time..but they serve it up on a pretty silver platter, making it look really good to all the fans who keep watching. fans will always stay loyal and stick with the name brand instead of switching down to the generic product. they want quality, and that's what the WWE is, name brand "quality"

You're forgetting the main ingredient for a successful promotion is a loyal fan base, and believe me, the WWE has that. I like to call them the WWE Lemmings, they are the ones that believe Vince McMahon created wrestling, that the WWE is the only organization that "creates Superstars" that only the WWE has great angles, that if a wrestler works for the WWE, he's great, if he leaves for another promotion, he's washed up, and that if it's not WWE, it has to be shit. These people have grown up watching WWE and bought all the propaganda that was fed to them year after year,they became so loyal to the brand that reality didn't matter anymore. Even if the WWE produced total and utter shit, they are the ones that still praise it, "Yeah, it was shit, but did you see the consistency ? Did you notice the bits of corn in it ?" You get get my point. So ECW has the WWE brand, and TNA still beat it in ratings, I'd call that a miracle and not a failure.

Kurgen,
I see what you are saying, and I will agree to some, SOME, extent. But I think you are missiing the point. I have been a wrestling fan for 20+ years and most of those have been loyal to WWE. But, I dont think that anything that McMahon and Co. throw at me is just "the shit". What, I believe, he is saying, is that with the names they have, they should be blowing ECW out of the water.

Have you actually sat down and watched a broadcast of "The Impact Zone"? It is shit, pure, downright, stinky shit. The angles are pure trash that look like they were thrown together in about 10 minute before airing. Keep in mind, this is coming from a guy(me), who has seen everything from wrestling plumbers, nuns, trash-men, clowns, friars, man-bulls, hockey players, and voodoo doctors.

I consider myself a WWE loyalist, but I am just not that big of a fan of the new ECW broadcast over the last couple of years. Furthermore, I find that alot of the main storylines and entertainment over the last couple of years from WWE has been sub-par at best. I think wrestling, as a whole, has taken a down swing, but it will recover.

Bottom-line, people don't watch TNA b/c they are WWE loyalists. It's b/c TNA is just a bad attempt at good professional wrestling entertainment. If a wrestling fan has to choose between TNA and WWE's lame-version of ECW, they will ultimately pick the one with better production, carries the WWE name, doesnt have that stupid six-sided ring, better announcers(yes, Striker and Matthews are better than Tenay and West), and just a better, overall storylines. TNA beating ECW by a few points in the ratings is NOT a miracle, its embarrassing. With the names TNA has, they should be competing with Raw, or at least Smackdown.

:schild13:

Wow, the hurt my head, anyways, I'm currently watching tonight's broadcast of TNA, after listening to A.J and Jarret cut the opening promo, my room mate and I came do the conclusion that the writing for TNA is Just terrible, on top of the fact that the audience could give less of a shit about anything that's going on.

The combination of those two thing makes for a really lame T.V broadcast (I'm watching Sting and Cactus cut a promo right now, AUDIENCE IS ******ED) it really seems to kill the vibe of the broadcast, the sting, Foley promo is great, no one in the audience seems to care that Foley is punching himself in the head, and beating the shit out of sting, you don't roll out of bed and see that shit every day. Foley couldn't even get a cactus jack chant going, that's just sad in my opinion.

I know its a free universal studios audience, but DAMN, its bad.

I like Finney's explanation, and buy it much more. I think the notion that wrestling fans are "WWEcentric" is bullshit, really. If you like wrestling, then you like wrestling, period.

I would love to enjoy TNA. I love Sting, and Kurt Angle wa smy favorite wrestler at the time when he left. I tried to watch it once, and the fact that Don West is a moron and the impact zone looks stupid made me shut it right on off. The production value is absolute ass as well. I felt as if my intelligence was badly insulted by the ongoings, and couldnt stand it. It had nothing to do with acronyms, or names. I just thought it sucked.

and if they cant do better with that roster, then that must be whats correct.

:schild13:

Wow, the hurt my head, anyways, I'm currently watching tonight's broadcast of TNA, after listening to A.J and Jarret cut the opening promo, my room mate and I came do the conclusion that the writing for TNA is Just terrible, on top of the fact that the audience could give less of a shit about anything that's going on.

The combination of those two thing makes for a really lame T.V broadcast (I'm watching Sting and Cactus cut a promo right now, AUDIENCE IS ******ED) it really seems to kill the vibe of the broadcast, the sting, Foley promo is great, no one in the audience seems to care that Foley is punching himself in the head, and beating the shit out of sting, you don't roll out of bed and see that shit every day. Foley couldn't even get a cactus jack chant going, that's just sad in my opinion.

I know its a free universal studios audience, but DAMN, its bad.

do you SEE this? You have fucking Kurt Angle!!! Sting!!! Mick Foley! WHY the FUCK are you giving away tickets for free? People think that having to give free tickets away to see these type of guys is success? On what fucking planet?

Isn't giving away free tickets what WCW did at times? Didn't they just run out of money and had to be bought out in the first place?

I was watching it tonight, caught a piece of the Sting/Foley segment. Was really into it. But after that i lost interest. They try to fit WAY to much into a 2 hour time slot it gets confusing at times. With all those main eventers i would think they would be getting better ratings, but i just don't know. I can't imagine how much the payroll there is and to be pulling in 1's seems to me to be pretty silly. At least pull in a 2. Booker T i don't even know what his gimmick is anymore. Kurt Angle a couple weeks ago went through a gauntlet it seemed in a cage of 16 people with ease. They keep pushing the older guys and not focusing on new talent.

I don't know what Scott Steiner is anymore, i saw him once bench pressing 90 pounds in a segment. I don't know where Kevin Nash is. TNA just seems to be really confusing at times.

Isn't giving away free tickets what WCW did at times? Didn't they just run out of money and had to be bought out in the first place?
I was watching it tonight, caught a piece of the Sting/Foley segment. Was really into it. But after that i lost interest. They try to fit WAY to much into a 2 hour time slot it gets confusing at times. With all those main eventers i would think they would be getting better ratings, but i just don't know. I can't imagine how much the payroll there is and to be pulling in 1's seems to me to be pretty silly. At least pull in a 2. Booker T i don't even know what his gimmick is anymore. Kurt Angle a couple weeks ago went through a gauntlet it seemed in a cage of 16 people with ease. They keep pushing the older guys and not focusing on new talent.

I don't know what Scott Steiner is anymore, i saw him once bench pressing 90 pounds in a segment. I don't know where Kevin Nash is. TNA just seems to be really confusing at times.

Yes they did. during the time period were THEY were a total fucking failure. See were I am going with this?

Also, at that time, they didnt have Kurt Angle. Nor Sting, at his so called "legendary" status he exists at. Or Foley, after all the crazy shit he has done. Or a Well established, legit Booker T.

Bad comparison. Its comparing shit, to shit. Well actually no, I guess that makes it a good comparison. Cos y'know, TNA is shit. and thats what the thread is about...

I have one word for you...SPIKE!

They're on a network that NOBODY watches. TNT? USA? MTV? Everyone watches those networks. Not Spike TV. They're show lineup consists of Star Trek, World's Wildest Police Chases, and movies we've watched about 1100 times...only these are edited.

TNA has no advertising, which means their shows get no publication and that no one knows where these wrestlers are. It's sad. Real sad. TNA's not all bad, especially with the talent they had. But all this company boils down to is a polished turd. Looks great, still stinks.

It's ridiculous. But not a surprise.

I have one word for you...SPIKE!

They're on a network that NOBODY watches. TNT? USA? MTV? Everyone watches those networks. Not Spike TV. They're show lineup consists of Star Trek, World's Wildest Police Chases, and movies we've watched about 1100 times...only these are edited.

TNA has no advertising, which means their shows get no publication and that no one knows where these wrestlers are. It's sad. Real sad. TNA's not all bad, especially with the talent they had. But all this company boils down to is a polished turd. Looks great, still stinks.

It's ridiculous. But not a surprise.

I beg to differ, on the account of the WWE being on spike and still crushing a 1. what the fuck ever TNA gets. Spike is a fine enough station, I mean, is it really THAT far behind USA?

Although I do agree on the lack of promotion. Gilbertti has been on here tons of times talking about TNA is shit at promoting is product and wrestlers...

I beg to differ, on the account of the WWE being on spike and still crushing a 1. what the fuck ever TNA gets. Spike is a fine enough station, I mean, is it really THAT far behind USA?

Although I do agree on the lack of promotion. Gilbertti has been on here tons of times talking about TNA is shit at promoting is product and wrestlers...

Well, the WWE was established before going to TNN/Spike TV. TNA isn't established, therefore it needs a network that's established. Seriously...if TNA ever made it to TNT...watch how fast the ratings skyrocket. Why? Most wrestling fans would freak out to see wrestling on TNT again. It doesn't even have to be Monday night...their same timeslot's fine.

But Spike's demographic's too narrow. Nothing for kids, women, and guys who aren't manly. The male 18-49 demo is the widest audience, but it still doesn't account for much in ratings.

And if Dixie Carter wants TNA to be a success, invest in a marketing agency. Advertise on CBS, which is affiliated with Spike. Think about that. Seeing a TNA ad during Two and a Half Men or CSI. Two of the highest rated shows on TV. The ads are expensive, but would pay immediate dividends.

First of all, TNA is a success by just about any measure. I would venture to guess that most people on this board do not have access to TNAs financials but that fact is that they have grown tremendously in about 7 years. Compare what TNA has done in their first 7 years to what WWE did in their first 7 years and I think you'll see that TNA is doing pretty well. Year after year TNA ratings, revenues and merchandise sales have increased. They have been able to draw some fine talent, and secure a primetime television deal.

There are many reasons that TNA is not at the level of a WCW v. WWE. And remember that just before the heyday of wrestling, WWF was nearly bankrupt. WWE has hundreds of millions of dollars and multiple years jump on TNA.

TNA runs their shows out of Universal Studios in Orlando every week (where due to Universal rules, they are NOT allowed to charge for tickets), when RAW started it was run out of the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC every week. I don't know if tickets were free to RAW then, but I can assure you they weren't $50, and remember that NYC has a much larger population and is more of an entertainment hub than Orlando. RAW also used to be taped.

WWE has exponentially more money than TNA does. I would guess that they spend more on advertising each year than TNA spends on all of their operations. They simply cannot contend in that department. If TNA trys to sign a "WWE Legend" or rookie talent, WWE can just throw money at the talent simply to keep them away from TNA. This has happened in the past. There are 0 wrestlers in TNA who make more than $1million a year. I can assure you that there are AT LEAST 10 wrestlers who make more than $1million a year in WWE. WWE's money and proven revenue streams for partners also means that it's much easier for them them to book talent in the media (such as Cena on talk shows) as well as ensures that WWE has the most state of the art cameras and technology. Again, TNA just cannot compete here at the moment.

Now we come to the WWE brand loyalty. This i just don't understand. People will call guys like Angle, Steiner, Nash, Foley etc... "WWE rejects" but for some reason will accept much older wrestlers such as Piper, Steamboat, Snuka and others. People will claim that WWE guys like Umaga have better wrestling skills than TNA guys like Samoa Joe (I'm sorry, it is not an opinion, whether you like him or not Joe is a much better wrestler than most). There are numerous WWE wrestlers who have been in TNA prior, and now we have a number of people how have been in WWF went to TNA and then back to WWE. There are tons of fans who don't watch TNA just because it's not WWE. I have friends who have watched wrestling for more than 20 years, WWE, WCW, ECW and yet for some reason they don't watch TNA. They don't have a real reason, they are just tuned to watch wrestling on Monday nights.

Then there are the fans who just don't know about TNA. I would bet that if TNA advertised iMPACT during RAW and Smackdown, showing guys like Angle, Foley, Nash and Sting as well as some X division wrestling people would tune in. Why don't they do this? Because they cannot afford to advertise during RAW and SmackDown, and you would have to do it on a consistent basis, not just once.

Also remember that it you need a spark to ignite interest. Hogan started the whole wrestling phenomena. Vince is a GREAT promoter and marketed the right guy at the right time. After a while WWE began its decline and Stone Cold Steve Austin arguably saved WWE. If the Stone Cold character didn't come about when it did, do you think WWE would be in the shape it is in today. I would say they would not.

I don't understand why people aren't wrestling fans. People bash TNA but are willing to watch RAW every week, where we see the same matched week after week. It is amazingly predictable. With TNA you can at least see some new guys and great wrestling. If TNA grows, it can only help wrestling overall...including the WWE.

To say that TNA is a failure is absolutely untrue. YOU may think it's a failure, but against all metrics TNA is a success.

It isnt though, is it?

Im not interested in your Slyfox numbers. I could give a shit how much they have grown. Im not comparing it to a fucking resturant chain, im comparing it to pro wrestling companies. I hate hwne people try to compare TNA to regular companies and say oh well they have grown so much. Uh so what, they are still massively underacheiving, given the roster options they have to work with. It should make fuck all difference how knew they are. They have the guys to make movement upwards, why does it not happen?

They have names who have made huge money elsewere. Why cant TNA make huge money with them? Why would there be such a growing curve with such major name talent? I just dont buy that, at all.

Really what you are arguing here is "why isn't TNA as large as WWE" then, if you're not interested in seeing how they have grown or why they are a success. Comparing TNA to pro wrestling companies still shows that they are a success. What you are really asking is, are they a success compared to WWE and of course they are going to come up short. You can't just say "TNA has these guys so therefore they should have higher ratings" I'm sorry that is just not a valid argument.

The short answer is WWE has more money, more brand value, more years of being in business and the advantage of already being the clear number one player.

If Cena, Shawn Michaels, HHH (without McMahon money), and The Undertaker were to leave and start a new wrestling company, retaining their names and gimmicks they also wouldn't be able to compete with WWE.

and please, explain to me how WWE having more money or name value makes any sort of difference to fans of the medium of entertainment known as pro wrestling?

Do you think the average wrestling fan gives a shit that WWE has more money? Er no. Wrestling is all ABOUT name value, and star power. TNA's roster has a fucking shit TON of name value and star power, at the top of the card at least. As I said, I just absolutely do NOT buy that the WWE name itself means that much.

"TNA has these guys so they should have MUCH higher ratings" is the most valid argument to be offered in this entire thread, actually...

I've been watching wrestling for almost thirty years & consider myself a WRESTLING loyalist! I don't choose one company over the other. If it pro wrestling, I watch! The companies I grew up on no longer exist! Being from the south(Georgia), NWA which later became WCW, Deep South, & Continental Championship wrestling are the ones that were available on a regular basis to me. As far as TNA goes, their biggest problem is creative! They get that fixed & the storylines will get better. The last few shows have been improvements. They could be headed in the right direction!

and please, explain to me how WWE having more money or name value makes any sort of difference to fans of the medium of entertainment known as pro wrestling?

Do you think the average wrestling fan gives a shit that WWE has more money? Er no. Wrestling is all ABOUT name value, and star power. TNA's roster has a fucking shit TON of name value and star power, at the top of the card at least. As I said, I just absolutely do NOT buy that the WWE name itself means that much.

"TNA has these guys so they should have MUCH higher ratings" is the most valid argument to be offered in this entire thread, actually...

You're confusing what fans want with business. TNA can create the greatest product in the world but if they can't let the fans know that it exists, they can't just be expected to find it. With WWE one generation introduces the next to wrestling. They know RAW and so thats what continues. WWE is what grandpa watched, what dad watched, what older brother watched and now what the younger son watched. Why? Because they know it and then know when it's on.

Sure fans don't care who has more money, but the more money you have the more fans you cant get to and tell them you exist. I bet most WWE fans today don't know that TNA exists. Not everyone is scouring the internet and on message boards. If Kurt Angle disappears from WWE TV I doubt people are switching channels to see where he is.

According to your logic you're saying that if anyones puts on a wrestling show with the current top WWE names people should just automatically show up. You do need more than just names.

I understand what you are trying to say but you are just wrong on this. TNA is a success whether it looks like it or not, it is just not as successful as WWE. What would your benchmarks for "success" be?

You're confusing what fans want with business. TNA can create the greatest product in the world but if they can't let the fans know that it exists, they can't just be expected to find it. With WWE one generation introduces the next to wrestling. They know RAW and so thats what continues. WWE is what grandpa watched, what dad watched, what older brother watched and now what the younger son watched. Why? Because they know it and then know when it's on.

Sure fans don't care who has more money, but the more money you have the more fans you cant get to and tell them you exist. I bet most WWE fans today don't know that TNA exists. Not everyone is scouring the internet and on message boards. If Kurt Angle disappears from WWE TV I doubt people are switching channels to see where he is.

According to your logic you're saying that if anyones puts on a wrestling show with the current top WWE names people should just automatically show up. You do need more than just names.

I understand what you are trying to say but you are just wrong on this. TNA is a success whether it looks like it or not, it is just not as successful as WWE. What would your benchmarks for "success" be?

I assume this is were we differ. To me, if a half competent promoter could take Cena, Triple H, Undertaker, Sting and Angle, put them together, they smash the WWE, with no one. I just dont buy the name brand concept, I truly dont.

My concept of success would be not being happy to merely compete with a program to which you have vaslty superior talent. Refer to the first post of the thread.

TNA has 10 times the star power, and cant routinely beat a show staring a bunch of no names. thats pathetic. there has to be some manner of negligence in that situation.

Yes, TNA booking is shit. I watched it for months, but I don't think I can do it to myself any more. You could have the greatest stars in the world, but if you don't use them properly then it means nothing. Bret Hart in WCW for example. He'd still be HUGE if he was in WWE, but he went to WCW and his talent was completely wasted. TNA don't know what they're doing if their ratings are similar to ECW and they have a magnitude of talent which is arguably bigger than what Smackdown has at the moment.

The problem with TNA is that it's ******ed. Quite frankly, the fact that their audience grows by about three people every year is incredible, considering how shit the product is.

You know what the highest rated segment in TNA history is? Sting and Kurt Angle in an Empty Arena... well, it was either a brawl or just a match. Knowing TNA, it was a brawl. Now, I love Kurt Angle, but that was shit. It was neither a brawl or a match. Do you know how stupid wrestling looks when you don't have audience noise to cover all their stupid grunts and heavy breathing?

But yeah, at least the audience gave their approval - an entire .2 over ECW that week, I think. I guess they do know how to use Angle and Sting after all. Take that Jack Swagger, you wrestling superstar, you!

The only thing worse than the TNA product is the fact that people watch it.

thusly, proving my point.

a company that has damn Kurt Angle Vs Sting for their ME should NOT be struggling to surpass Jack Swagger and Finlay Vs the Miz. or giving away free tickets to its product.

so therefore, so far we have people going with "WWE has more name" ( :rolleyes: ) and "TNA is ******ed"....I like Sam's explanation much better

I know the IWC is a minority, but there are still several million internet wrestling geeks who choose not to watch iMPACT each week. they know what channel it's on, they know what time it starts. It's Thursday, not that the day should matter, they've got no social life. Yet they're still not watching TNA.

The whole ''WWE marks'' line is bullshit made up by TNA marks. I don't dislike TNA because it's not WWE, I dislike it because it's shit.

I'd like it to better, I'd like it to be a serious challenge to WWE. But it's not and at the rate it's going it never will be.

People tell you to look how much they'e achieved in 7 years, since when wasn't 7 years a long time?

WWE is theirs for the taking, by the time they get round to it WWE will probably be going through another boom.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but the universe was created in 6. And on the Sunday God watched ECW.

In my opinion TNA is in no way a mind boggling failure. In the countries its aired in outside of the US, it is a serious competition for WWE.

In Australia, my home country, in the first 2 weeks of it debut on television it garnered higher ratings than RAW and ECW combined. If you include SD! however, which I might add is the highest rated WWE show in AUS, it surely did not out rate WWE.

But that aside, out rating RAW and ECW combined one would think not an easy task. I do not see it as a failure in the slighest as it regularly rates highly in Australia, England and other international countries.

What I am getting at is that although TNA is easily squashed in the US, you can not forget that other countries watch wrestling as well. There is more to the world than just the United States of America fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back